WAY worse than before..

c63989

I never had a sweet tooth before. I am 60 days past my first whole 30 and I know crave and eat desserts like NEVER before. It is 920 am and I want a cookie. I cant seem to make it past day 3 on a second whole 30. I feel so out of control and have never had this before. Help! Thoughts?

Okay.  Take a deep breath.   And tell yourself - you can do this.

Remember cookies (or ice cream, or wine, or, or, or.....) will not leave the planet forever within the next 30 days.  Sure you could have the cookie but would that be treating you, or harming you?  You are trying to heal yourself.  Cookies are great (I used to be a self professed cookie monster) but they do not help you heal.

I had and argument this morning with myself, in which I just about threw in the towel.  Today is day 8 for me and quite frankly I wanted to break down and have quite argubly the best cheese danish I have ever tasted from the coffee shop in the same building as my office.  I almost justified it too.  But then I gave my head a shake and said yeah but this would not be treating yourself right.  You're trying to kick this habit.

There are tricks to help keep the sweet cravings at bay:

- remember to eat enough fats during your meals. 

- remember to eat enough starchy veg (if only 1 meal a day)

- get enough sleep.

- drink enough water

- if when the cravings hit have a plan of attach to distract yourself.  Take a walk, go buy a magazine, do your nails, call a friend.  Anything that will help take you out of the craving mode.  Cravings will last anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes.

You can do this!

Thank you all. I dont even know what my issue is! I felt AMAZING after my whole 30. I preached the gospel to everyone! And now I am binge eating cookies all day! I just need to find the strength to recommit. Obvioiusly, I cannot off road. :(

Thank you all. I dont even know what my issue is! I felt AMAZING after my whole 30. I preached the gospel to everyone! And now I am binge eating cookies all day! I just need to find the strength to recommit. Obvioiusly, I cannot off road. :(

If it makes you feel any better - neither can I.  People don't get it when I go on a soap box rant when I say "Everything in moderation" is BS.  Basically you give yourself an excuse to induldge all the time.  I could justify having 2 cookies today, and a chocolate bar tomorrow, and a bag of chips on Thursday, and then Friday I think I'll have 2 glasses of wine.  This is what Everything in moderation means.  Nothing is extremely excessive in quanities but if you add it all up it amounts to a whole bunch of disjointed eating an sugar cravings.  You could even justify it in your mind to eat/drink that stuff all in one day - because it's all moderate amounts of different things.  This is the loop that you go in to.

Nope I don't give myself moderation.  I do give permission to myself to ride my own bike but I give myself reasonable "rules".  Well only because I find I do really well with rules.  If you give yourself rules there is no decision making - it is either yes it follows my rules, or no it doesn't.

Thats what I will have to do. I have no idea what rules I need but what I am doing has not worked.

My rules are as follows - I am not saying you have to follow them, this is just what I am willing to live with when riding my bike. 

1) I can accept the tiny bit of sugar that is found in sausages and bacon

2) Dairy is out. There are some small exceptions that I make room for and bear the consequences for but it maybe happens 5 times a year or so.

3) I don't worry too much when I go out for dinner at a restaurant, or at other peoples homes.  People are generally aware of my eating habbits by now - and sometimes I just have to turn something completely down (like birthday cake) or pasta and I'm fine with it.  I can't worry about offending other people.  These things don't make me feel good.

4) I have a worth it list - homemade cookies/baked goods, my MIL's homemade lasangna (not every time she makes it but on occasion), my FIL's homemade pizza.  Deep fried ice cream at a my favourite thai restaurant for my birthday.  Something has to be deemed special, and it has to come from the heart. 

5) Paleo baked goods.  I used to be an avid baker so yes sometimes I fall into this rabbit hole.  I try not to overdo it maybe once a month or so. 

6) Coconut ice cream is allowed on the island.  This is a treat I buy maybe as a once a month indulgence.  I used to eat ice cream every day.  This doesn't happen any more. 

7) 70% Dark Chocolate

8) a glass of white wine (very occasionally) or a hard cider. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too am really struggling.  Not only did I fall off the wagon, but I have been pulled under and dragged for miles.  I completed a very successful Whole30 in June.  And now, I am just as heavy and unhealthy as I was before I started.  I just turned 45 and am overweight. I am doing a Couch to 5K program to get back into running - have been out of it for a year and half with an ankle reconstruction and bone replacement.  I'm starting Week 4 today, and I'm doing 3 days a week.

I used to be fit and fast.  Now I am fat and sluggish.  My joints ache, I have no energy, I am not sleeping well, I am bloated, I have heartburn and generally feel unhealthy.  All because of WHAT I PUT IN MY MOUTH.

I KNOW what to do. What I don't know, is how come I continue to make decisions to do the exact opposite of what I need to do to get the results I desire??  I know how I felt on my Whole30.  I know how I felt for about 30 days after.  Now I'm 60 days post, and feel WORSE than  before.  Maybe because I now know the difference.  So if i KNOW what to do, and I KNOW the results it brings... how come I am struggling with doing it??  How do I get back on track?  I'm really struggling and not a very big fan of myself at the moment.  But I'm going to go run at lunch time.  Not because I want to, but because I need to.  

Nancy,

Take a deep breath.  This mentally beating yourself up - please, very kindly, stop this.  IMMEDIATELY.  I know it is hard to stop - you are speaking to someone who has verbally abused herself for years.... maybe since the age of 10.  I am 38 now. So yes - I have been there.  And I have been overweight the vast majority of my life. 

No one is as hard on yourself than you.  No one will tell you to your face, what you are telling yourself.  Would you tell anyone you know well what you are telling yourself as a form of motivation?  No!  So stop it.

That little voice in your brain that you hear?  That is what I label as my sugar dragon.  Because it is fed by sugar.  You stop feeding it sugar - it shuts up.  At least that is what I have discovered for me.

First action - treat yourself kindly.  Stop over thinking this.  Take it one meal at a time, one day at a time.  Get yourself a calendar, if you have a good day, give yourself a giant red happy face, stars, heart, check mark - whatever.  If you don't have a good day leave it empty.  Do not beat yourself up.  Move on. Soon you might be able to string 7 days in a row of whole 30 type eating - then 15!  You can do this!

If you have a choice in front of you that you know makes you feel less healthy - say aloud (this is very important) "I choose to have the oreo cookie rather than continue my whole 30"  This will make you stop and think about it.  If you deem at that point that you really want that oreo cookie - then repeat that line again out loud.  Then eat the cookie and realize that you made the choice.  And you have to accept and embrace that choice.  Do not beat yourself up over it.  You chose the cookie and you will face whatever ramifications it gives you.  Accept.  Then move on.  If you choose to have another cookie then go through the same steps.

Please understand it is all about making a choice on what is good for you.  Not for someone else.  You. 

"to get back into running - have been out of it for a year and half with an ankle reconstruction and bone replacement.  I'm starting Week 4 today, and I'm doing 3 days a week. I used to be fit and fast." 

"But I'm going to go run at lunch time.  Not because I want to, but because I need to."

What are you running from?  Why do you need to run?  Isn't there another form of exercise that you can do consistently that won't put your mind in the loop of no exercise then guilt trip.  You don't need any self punishment, you need to take care of that ankle and bone replacement so it will last you for your entire lifetime.

That ankle has to last you the rest of your life.  These surgeries take a toll.   Swinging the pendulum back and forth to try and get back where you once were is overwhelming.   Can you find a trainer who can help you rehab your ankle and goals using a thoughtful  process?

This was written by dcducks, Chief.

- the next time you look into the mirror I want you to realize that you are looking at your BEST friend. You might think that someone else is your best friend...but they aren't! Nobody supports you or wants you to succeed more than the person staring back at you. The person staring back is the one that you have said horrible things to, thought horrible things about, treated terribly.......things you would have never done to the person you think is your best friend.......if you had, your "best friend" would have left you. But the BEST friend in the mirror is still there. That friend is already at the weight you want to be.....but has been kind enough to carry the extra pounds that YOU gave it....and not complain. That friend is more than ready to assist you, encourage you, and smile back at you as you move through this program and get healthier. Realize your BEST friend and watch your life and health change!

I was talking about how I felt and my internal dialog when I would "slip up" one one of my many subsequent whole30 attempts; my therapist pointed out that I was being very mean to myself. She asked me if i would talk to an 8 year old that way? Would I tell her she's stupid for eating a box of cookies, or any of the other things I was telling myself? Nope. You would explain to the 8 year old why that's not a good idea, and maybe not make cookies readily available. At the same time, if an 8 year old asked for a cookie on let's say a special occasion, then you'd maybe say ok. Not 10 cookies...1. This time. I know one cookie is not whole30, but in terms of being nicer to myself, this was an important analogy that really resonated with me.

What has always worked for me is not keeping junk food in the house- I save it for social occasions or restaurants. I focus on filling up on healthy foods and then having something less healthy after. I make sure I have lots of healthy foods I really really like around and not making myself try to eat ones I don't like as much. And like someone else said I know that I have many many years ahead and the world will always be full of chocolate and treats, I don't need them NOW. They will naturally come to me when they are meant to. I did my first whole 30 over Easter and I had a whole drawer full of chocolate and cream eggs given to me as gifts. When it was over I had one or two and gave them to my husband, I didn't want it anymore.

Question for the OP. Is this a "physical" craving... i.e. your body is feeling that you need something or is it an emotional one. Cookie binging sounds like it may be an emotional thing....

TRUST me, i know...

If thats the case give some thought as to what you're feeling and how best (without cookies) to satisfy that emotional state.

I found the comparison in this blog very helpful. Other people might be moderators and that can work for them, but I am abstainer. In the world of food, life is much easier for me in black and white, without painting shades of grey. Once the grey creeps back in, it's like black in disguise and I'm a goner. 

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Therefore, on any given day, I'm either on plan or I'm off. If I'm off, I own it. I'm not "mostly Whole30" except for a little of this or that, I'm off it. And I know my personal drill to get back on (quit coffee cold turkey, then eat all Whole30 compliant foods for a few days, then quit the fruit & nuts, and finally get down to 3 meals, no snacks; it's my method, it works for me). So when I'm mentally "ready", I get back on, and there is no excuse, no stress or time demand or snack in the house that can stop it. Food is either on the list or off, and when I'm on plan, that other food doesn't exist for me. "Meat and vegetables and not much else" is the shorthand that works for me. It's kind of an extreme head game, but I feel great when I do this.

One of the things that regularly helps when I am struggling with whether or not to make an "off track" choice is a quote I read once (I have no idea who the author is):

"Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do, long after the mood you said it in has left you."

Remember that you made that commitment to yourself and you are worth keeping it! Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

c63989  I'm starting another W30 tomorrow.  I haven't decided which thread, if any, to join.  But I just discovered this one, and I wanted to let you know that I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.  If you check out posts of mine in the past (months, to a year ago), you'll see that I was saying some of the same things.  I found my first W30 to be a miracle.  I was almost manic--shouting from the rooftops (not really) how much it changed my life!  Then I went completely off the rails, gained back all the 13 pounds I'd lost plus some more.  It took me a couple of attempts but i did another W30 and although I wasn't so in love with it the second time, I still felt it was the "only way" for me to eat and live my life (and I lost another 12-15 lbs).  But again, I started back into old habits, slowly at first, and the same thing happened again.  Honestly, I have learned so much over this last year.  The main thing I learned is that i can't eat processed sugar.  It seems to lead to my undoing, slowly or quickly, but inevitably. 

So, why am I telling you all this?  Because I didn't want it to be true, but I really had to cut out sugar.   And since I did, I've been quite successful since March of this year, eating W30 style (kicked off by a strict W30).  I haven't been eating any sugar, dairy, grains, and I try to avoid legumes and soy.  And I was feeling so solid, and steadily and slowly losing weight (while still eating tons of healthy, clean, whole, yummy foods).

Over the past couple of weeks, I had a setback and it doesn't even really matter what it was but I recognize that I was coping with stress by overdrinking and the overdrinking led to binging on carbs.  Rather than beat myself up, I'm starting an Oct 1st Whole 30 because my body needs a "reset".  I deserve it.  I deserve to feel good and treat my body right.  And so do you! 

• Administrators

I found the comparison in this blog very helpful. Other people might be moderators and that can work for them, but I am abstainer. In the world of food, life is much easier for me in black and white, without painting shades of grey. Once the grey creeps back in, it's like black in disguise and I'm a goner. 

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

That was a great article, thanks for the post! I am a through and through abstainer. I can go MONTHS without sugar, chocolate, treats. And I don't miss it. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy partaking...but it's simple for me to just say "no thanks". Give me one taste....ONE TASTE and all bets are off...now I need it every day....in the evening with coffee...and then maybe just after lunch....and then all bets are off and "I deserve to live like a normal human, leemee alone!". LOL!

So...I abstain......

First whole 30 in may 2014. Lost 16 lbs but was not happy. I was very tired, moody and not fun to be around. Second whole 30 September 8- today. Have never felt better, tons of energy and very happy. But I didn't finish this time. I fell victim to the sugar dragon.... Only 3 more days to finish and I failed. So unhappy with myself. Maybe I'll start up again tomorrow. I think I am in the no-moderation category.... Not sure I want to risk it to fall back into my unhealthy ways.

First whole 30 in may 2014. Lost 16 lbs but was not happy. I was very tired, moody and not fun to be around. Second whole 30 September 8- today. Have never felt better, tons of energy and very happy. But I didn't finish this time. I fell victim to the sugar dragon.... Only 3 more days to finish and I failed. So unhappy with myself. Maybe I'll start up again tomorrow. I think I am in the no-moderation category.... Not sure I want to risk it to fall back into my unhealthy ways.

Just get back on the horse. Did you just go off plan with sugar or did you have other off plan ingredients? At the very least finish your 30 days and then see if you want to extend longer. It is only failing when you fail to continue to try.

Archived