Day 9 and doing pretty well

LivelyLady

As I mentioned in my other post, I did a great W30 in January then had several stops and starts in February and March. The "stops" always included WAAAY too much sugar, even though I knew by then how it affected me. (It literally feels like it burns my tongue.)

This time I can just feel that I'll be able to stick it out the 30 days. What will happen after? Hopefully not what happened last time, but I'm not focusing on that. I'm focusing on how glad I am to be going strong at this point.

My energy the last few days has been crappy in the morning, which is the only time I have to workout, so my workouts are not where I'd like them to be. I don't do anything even close to the Crossfit that some of y'all do, but it is annoying me that I'm not doing much. I do get up at 5 every morning with the intent to do it, and then just do what I can. Sometimes "What I can" is a nice 2 mile jog. That's a good day for me right now. (Where as at other times in my life that would have been a not-so-good day.)

Other times it's just a few sets of some weights and I call it quits. I'm trying to be forgiving to myself, as I know that the gains in energy that I made during my first W30 were pretty much blown out of the water by the sugar binges that preceded it. I'd have 5 or 6 good days, then sometimes just as many bad days. It was bad. But, I'm moving on from that.

I struggle with migraines so am also eliminating nuts, eggs, nightshades and onions this time to see if I can determine if any of them are triggers for me. The last 5 days or so have been much better on the migraine front, so I'm thankful.

I make my own bone broth and drink it every morning and have not been having fruit with the exception of an apple last week that ended up hurting my stomach. Turns out my stomach is pretty damn sensitive! I had some snap peas as a snack today and felt pretty bloated after, so maybe they need to go too. I spent so many years bloated that I refuse to knowingly eat something now that will cause it.

I'm taking probiotics and digestive enzymes with every meal but I'm still not as regular as I used to be. I know that adding in some fruit could help, but it's a mixed blessing if it ends up hurting my stomach. Maybe some berries would be ok. I don't know, I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Until today I'd not been having any starchy veggies, just greens (SO much chard and spinach), broccoli, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms and bok choy plus plenty of beef, lamb and chicken. I cook my veggies in ghee and add olive oil to my chicken dishes, so it feels like I'm getting enough fat. I'd sure love to solve this constipation issue though! I added in a bit of sweet potato with my dinner and will have a bit more tomorrow at lunch to see if that helps. I think my carbs are roughly around 80-100g/day, but I have no idea if that is enough or too much given my very VERY little activity.

Overall, my update is one of progress. Today I had mad MAD cravings for candy because I got so upset and worked up at work. I had breakfast at 8 (with about 50g protein and 25g fat) and at 11 the voice in my head said, "I'm hungry." I then told myself, "No, you're not. You're angry and grumpy and that makes you want a Snickers or 3. If you do it, you'll be even MORE grumpy it won't have solved the underlying issue of why you're angry and you'll be pissed at yourself." After that little self talk I made it until 1 before I was ACTUALLY hungry for my planned lunch. So that was a small victory for me. Had I not been committed to W30 I KNOW I'd have gone off in search of candy. One day at a time, eh? :)

So if anyone has any insight as to roughly what level of carbs would be appropriate for me at this point, I'm all ears. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the Crazy Train To Yam Town because I fear they will set me off on a sugar craving, even though I know that having with protein and fat should make it ok. I'm not trying to keep my carbs at any certain level, but would love to know what a general guideline would be.

Thanks for reading and for this forum! :) It's been super helpful. :)

Archived