beginning whole 30 tomorrow - recovering high-raw vegan

musingmama

I'm beginning tomorrow... new to the forum, new to this way of eating. I'm a recovering high raw vegan with years of intensive cleansing and detoxing under my belt. I thought I was doing the best possible thing for my health but in reality I believe my lifestyle has majorly tweaked my hormones and put me into an early menopause.

I'm excited to try a new experiment with my body via Whole 30. I've been dabbling the last week (had some stevia and tamari cashews) and am already feeling and noticing changes in my body. I want to do it "right" so "officially" beginning fresh in the morning. I have purchased and am reading It Starts with Food and Well Fed so I think I'm in for a great adventure! I'm also reading is Sweet Potato Power which is fascinating & am soaking up all the goodness in the forums as well.

Welcome, musingmama, and best of luck to you!

I am also a recovering vegetarian/vegan. Had over 20 years under my belt of thinking I was ultra healthy until my hormones/thyroid told me differently. It's been almost 2 years since I introduced animal protein into my diet and I truly believe it is like medicine. Recovery can be very slow with a 1 step forward, 2 steps back feeling, but I guess since it was years of not giving my body what is needed, it will be a while to get back on track.

Hope you have a wonderful whole30 experience!

Hey LauraLyn - I also think of the animals as giving me a medicine in the form of food. I experimented a bit with eating animal protein last fall when seriously depleted but only lasted a few months. It did help, but then I figured I could go back to my usual way of eating since I had topped off with what my body needed. I think for me symptoms of hormonal disruption have been under the radar for a while now, since my menstrual cycles started changing in my early 40's, but recently they have gotten loud and clear. I do believe the mind/body has amazing healing possibilities and fully expect to heal. In my experience, the stepping forward/backward is not uncommon in healing as our bodies adjust.

Thanks for the link Tom.

Archived