Sign in to follow this  
Hols1

Moody, angry, and impatient

I am on day 12 and just feel bitchy! I am snappy at work, angry at home, where is the joy? I was so excited about this eating plan and was so hoping that it would be the answer to my skin lesions, weight issues, thyroid and high BP (BP has been higher)! And I've been having restless legs at night and not sleeping well at all. I saw a post about CALM and will try that. I am also unable to just do three meals. Between lunch and when I get home to cook dinner can sometimes be 6-7 hours so I've been having a few pieces of beef jerky with carrot and snap peas or nuts and the same veggies.

I welcome thoughts, ideas, a kick in the behind, I want to make it through the 30 days!

I don't think you are eating enough at each meal.  Even when you feel an absolute need to snack, it should be a mini-meal, following the template.

As an example of a large-enough meal -- when I was doing my Whole 30, my breakfast was usually FOUR eggs, a tablespoon of ghee (that is a lot when measured out... more than I would have used before), and a generous amount of veggies scrambled in there like spinach or kale, with onions or shallots.

A mini-meal would also include a protein, fat, and veggies -- just like your bigger meals.  Nuts don't count as protein -- they are not a complete protein, meaning they do not contain all of the essential amino acids.  For the purposes of Whole 30 (and IMO, life in general) -- nuts are a FAT.  

Also, I am interested in where you found compliant beef jerky?  Do you make your own?

Slant Shack makes gluten free, compliant jerky and yes I make my own too.

I am so nervous about eating more.  It seems like I am eating so much already! I am sensitive to dairy so sadly ghee is out.

Thanks for the support!

Slant Shack makes gluten free, compliant jerky 

Are you sure? Looking on their website, the gluten free one has tamari, which is soy. The others have sugar or maple syrup.

Have you read the book?  

No one says you have to eat ghee -- but page 172 explains why ghee is perfectly fine for a Whole 30 (while ALL other dairy is completely out).  All of the (reaction-causing) milk proteins have been removed from ghee -- leaving only the fat.

Anyway, that was just an example.  My point is that you should probably be adding a tablespoon of fat to each and every meal -- especially if you are feeling moody, angry, bitchy, snappy, and impatient.  AND you are feeling the need to snack.  

What worries me about your posts is that I can see you "finishing" your Whole 30, telling people what a horrible experience it was and that you didn't see any results...   Walking away from here shaking your head and thinking you wasted your time.  BUT the problem with this is -- you aren't really following the recommendations of the program.  So you aren't really giving it a chance until you get all your ducks in a row.  For some people this takes more time than others, and that's okay!  But you really need to stick with it and be willing to go longer than the 30 days if needed.

Mary has pointed out that your jerky may actually not be compliant.  I saw you post the other day that you had some trail mix that was compliant "except for honey".  Well....  honey is not allowed on a Whole 30, so what that actually means is: it was not compliant.  

I know you are feeling very stressed right now, and I am not trying to make it worse.  I hope you understand that we are all here to help.  We all want to see you succeed!  But the progam was laid out in a certain way, with specific rules and guidelines that have been well-thought-out and purposefully designed.  I think if you put a little more focus into planning (and maybe a lot more food into your body), you will be able to reap the benefits of this program instead of being discouraged by it.

Are you sure? Looking on their website, the gluten free one has tamari, which is soy. The others have sugar or maple syrup.

If you keep reading they do state that their tamari is wheat free.  In any case, I continue making my own so that I can control the ingredients.

If you keep reading they do state that their tamari is wheat free.  In any case, I continue making my own so that I can control the ingredients.

Tamari is wheat free, but not soy free. 

Here are the rules of the whole30, for your reference...no wheat is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

Have you read the book?  

No one says you have to eat ghee -- but page 172 explains why ghee is perfectly fine for a Whole 30 (while ALL other dairy is completely out).  All of the (reaction-causing) milk proteins have been removed from ghee -- leaving only the fat.

Anyway, that was just an example.  My point is that you should probably be adding a tablespoon of fat to each and every meal -- especially if you are feeling moody, angry, bitchy, snappy, and impatient.  AND you are feeling the need to snack.  

What worries me about your posts is that I can see you "finishing" your Whole 30, telling people what a horrible experience it was and that you didn't see any results...   Walking away from here shaking your head and thinking you wasted your time.  BUT the problem with this is -- you aren't really following the recommendations of the program.  So you aren't really giving it a chance until you get all your ducks in a row.  For some people this takes more time than others, and that's okay!  But you really need to stick with it and be willing to go longer than the 30 days if needed.

Mary has pointed out that your jerky may actually not be compliant.  I saw you post the other day that you had some trail mix that was compliant "except for honey".  Well....  honey is not allowed on a Whole 30, so what that actually means is: it was not compliant.  

I know you are feeling very stressed right now, and I am not trying to make it worse.  I hope you understand that we are all here to help.  We all want to see you succeed!  But the progam was laid out in a certain way, with specific rules and guidelines that have been well-thought-out and purposefully designed.  I think if you put a little more focus into planning (and maybe a lot more food into your body), you will be able to reap the benefits of this program instead of being discouraged by it.

I may be discouraged at the moment but I have no intention of not finishing my W30 and in fact extending it if need be.  I know there have been many many years of abuse heaped on my body and that 30 days will most likely not be enough.  So while there have been some tough days and probably a few more to come I do not plan on "telling people what a horrible experience it was".  I do not have support around me so my venting here is a search for support and guidance which thankfully I receive in abundance!  I certainly have made some missteps but do my best to make good choices every day.  Some days are better than others and I am quite certain I am not alone in that.  I will continue to plug on and look forward to sleeping well, having amazing energy and a sunny disposition!

Congratulations, sounds like you are in the kill all things stage. Not all if us follow the timeline exactly. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/.

You can have four meals if needed making sure they all have protein veggies and fat and are not just fruit and nuts.

You are doing great, keep going!

Thanks for sending the timeline.  Very helpful!

Tamari is wheat free, but not soy free. 

Here are the rules of the whole30, for your reference...no wheat is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

This is from the Slant Shack website. "A medley of ginger, garlic, honey, organic wheat-free tamari and

organic spices makes SlantShack's first gluten-free recipe!"

No wheat, I called them. The honey in this recipe makes it W30 non-compliant. I am aware of the rules thank you and am doing the best I can with a few slip ups like everyone on this forum.

I may be discouraged at the moment but I have no intention of not finishing my W30 and in fact extending it if need be.  I know there have been many many years of abuse heaped on my body and that 30 days will most likely not be enough.  So while there have been some tough days and probably a few more to come I do not plan on "telling people what a horrible experience it was".  I do not have support around me so my venting here is a search for support and guidance which thankfully I receive in abundance!  I certainly have made some missteps but do my best to make good choices every day.  Some days are better than others and I am quite certain I am not alone in that.  I will continue to plug on and look forward to sleeping well, having amazing energy and a sunny disposition!

You're going to do it, you will. :)   The 'want to' means everything.