reacting to something, should I change food plans?

This is Day 11 for me  after starting over because I accidently ate something with hidden sugars. The major symptoms of inflammatory response for me include bloating, swollen and tender axillary lymph nodes, swollen ankles, and itchy ears as well as elevated morning blood sugars. The first indication of a problem is bloating after a meal. 

I did well (meaning no symptoms) on first time out, feeling a burst of energy on what would have been Day4 if I hadn't started over again.  Unfortunately, that was  a one time occurrence.  My problem today is what to do about inflammatory symptoms that have returned again.  This is the 2nd episode since starting Whole30.  After the first occurrence, I reviewed my food log and decided the problem was either eggs, bell peppers or almonds. 

I  omitted all 3 for 2-3 days, then reintroduced eggs, which appeared not to affect my blood sugar and didn't cause an increase in bloating. In fact I felt less bloated as time went on. Then  I had bell peppers and eggs for breakfast yesterday and the symptoms returned and peaked this morning with swollen lymph glands, itchy ears, swollen ankles, and horrible bloat.  I think I may be on to something but don't know what to do next. Should I start over with AIF or FODMAP?    

One of the main reasons I started Whole30 is because of a belief that food has more to do with dis-ease than MD's give credit to and that an elimination diet, leading to a major lifestyle change based on the results, would make me a much healthier and happier person. I  started  an elimination diet before Whole30, the result being that that I was gluten free, but not grain free, before I started the program and was beginning the elimination of dairy before moving on to eggs. I got a list of the six major offenders from a naturopath. Gluten appeared to be a major contributor.

What is the next step?

You might consider doing an AIP - Eggs, nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, peppers, most seed type spices), and nuts are eliminated from this plan.  I would sooner consider this over FODMAPS - based on the information you state above.

I would consider finishing up the next 19 days doing an AIP version and see how you do.  But this up to you.  Normally what we suggest is to first do a basic whole 30 and if you suspect you have issues then follow it up with a whole 30 AIP or FODMAP version.

Archived