Need make-ahead/freezable options

SusanB.

I'm towards the end of my second 30 (actually, I fell off the wagon today, day 24, but I'm trying to keep on keepin' on), and I keep having the same difficulties with meal prep.

So this is how I got here: pre-30, my eating habits were just terrible. Stop at the bakery for a muffin on my way to work. Catch as catch can or frozen or order something for lunch at the office. By dinner, I'm just too beat to care, so things that are no-prep (brie and baguette, for example) are very appealing. Yes, I am aware of how horrendous that all sounds. I'm overweight (20-30 pounds), but the way I have been eating I should be much more so.

Factors:

- I work full-time

- I live alone (nobody to share planning/shopping/cooking/cleanup duties with)

- Eating breakfast at the office seems to be the only reasonable way to do it, since I have to leave my house early to prevent my 35-minute commute from turning into an hour+...however this gets me to the office well ahead of when I need to be here. Office has fridge, microwave, and toaster oven.

- I sometimes go to the gym on the way to the office, but my "workouts" are not very strenuous because I'm pretty out of shape. I also "run" (slowly) and bike on the weekends.

I can sometimes, but not always, take a Sunday to shop and cook. I'm looking for some go-to ideas that I might be able to work into my schedule. Things that I can freeze in individual portions are great.

Finding ways to put together all the different parts of a meal three times a day is taking more out of me that I have to give (time and energy) right now, and I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of saying that it's just not worth it, because I feel like this is now all I do with my non-working hours.

I am specifically interested in breakfasts that I can make on the weekend and keep in the freezer at work. I have the tendency to make bad choices in the mornings especially, so having something ready to go helps. I've been doing "quiche" muffins - with some veg and meat of some sort in there, but the reheated texture is kind of rubbery. Also, I think one of these probably isn't enough for a complete breakfast....and they're frankly not really good enough for me to stomach more than one.

Any recipe suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Moderators

Just a thought, but when you reheat your quiche muffins, do you do it in the microwave or the toaster oven? I find that If I wrap things like that in foil, and just open the foil a bit, enough for steam to escape but with the top still covered so it doesn't burn, I can put it in the toaster oven (in mine, I think I do about 8 minutes just on the toast setting) and it reheats nicely with no texture problems. And when I do any kind of egg muffin/casserole, I make sure a serving of it is as much as it would take to have three eggs, or if there's a fair amount of meat in it too, it may be two eggs and a few ounces of meat worth. You can play around with recipes and what you put in them, too. I almost always put sweet potato in mine, and spinach. Sausage if I have it, or other meat if I don't. Sometimes cauliflower or broccoli or some other veggies. 

Meatballs or hamburger patties would work well. Pair it with salad or cooked veggies. Or a breakfast salad like this one. (I do something like that and make about a week's worth at a time -- I put jicama, zucchini or yellow squash, carrots (I prefer to blanch them to be a bit softer, or you could grate them), celery, cucumber (peel it -- sometimes the peel is bitter, and it can ruin the whole thing), sometimes sugar snap peas -- really, any veggie you're okay with eating raw would work. I usually add a little fruit -- maybe a chopped apple, or a banana, or blueberries worked okay. Don't use strawberries, they don't last more than a couple of days and then they get gross. Squeeze lemon or lime over it to help prevent browning. You could add mint or other herbs or seasonings if you want, but it doesn't really need it. Mix it up (or just put the lid on the container and give it a shake). I've made something like this up on a Sunday evening and ate it every morning until Friday, and it holds up well. I add some fat to it as I serve it each day -- avocado or coconut flakes or a few almonds or cashews work well. 

Soup is also nice for breakfast and would freeze well. Just take a container out of the freezer and put it in the fridge every evening before you leave and it'll be thawed and ready to heat up when you get in the next morning.

Hi! My go to breakfast on the go (always) is medium boiled eggs. I am going to also oven roast some spenich that will last a few days to breakfasts too. 

Some of my faves that I have cooked more than once, most of them can be done in a slow cooker ;)

Best of luck!

• Moderators

Eggs will never reheat all that well. You might prefer them cold, or just barely warmed.

I buy Aidells chicken apple sausages and slice them up and fry in a pan, then stick in containers in the fridge. Great with sweet potatoes or frozen broccoli or whatever veggie you have.

Or toss them with veggies of choice and make a big frittata at the beginning of the week to take into work with you.

I like soup for breakfast too. Well Fed 2's Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup is my favorite, but you could make soup out of any broth + meat + veggies.

I always have hard-boiled eggs on hand. Delicious with a little homemade mayo + Frank's hot sauce.

Sometimes I eat super simple - like prosciutto wrapped around your favorite veggies, dipped in homemade mayo, etc.

Finally, reheated leftovers are always an option.

Remember, it doesn't have to be the best meal you ever ate, it just has to be good enough, and match the Meal Template.

I agree...the chicken apple sausages are my emergency protein.  I always keep some in the fridge.  I'm not that great on reheating a lot of meals.  4 in my household and my husband HATES leftovers <_<

On Sunday I try to cut up a lot of veggies for quick meals.  Have you read Well Fed?  It really is a must buy.  I am on Day 33 (of a Whole60) and is has been a true lifesaver as far a prepping ahead.  The thought is to prep proteins and veggies individually so on the day of, you can throw them together with a compliant sauce. 

On Sundays, I cook a couple pounds of ground beef and chicken breasts and have something cooking in the crockpot. I also cook a few sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash and prep my cauliflower to make "rice".  I also chop a ton of onions and peppers to toss in whatever I want.  Cuts down on the prep a lot!

So for breakfast you can make a hash of potatoes, eggs, peppers, onions and mushrooms.  Make enough for a few days.  Reheats well. 

I also always have lettuce...that paired with chicken breasts, some salsa and avocado...that's pretty quick.

Good luck! :D

I would agree with the suggestion to get the book "well fed". It really helped me keep everything in perspective and not get overwhelmed. One of her go-to things is snack bags. Fill a Baggie with Veges, protein and fats. I do a bunch of different ones on the weekend to have on hand . This can work for any meal or snack, although it might be tough to get 2 cups of Veges in the bag:)

Guest PaleoViki

One more really quick breakfast that I REALLY like.  I mix everything together and fry it in coconut oil.  It is like a pancake.

3 large eggs, potato's, shredded zucchini, green onions.  Fry. You can add a little coconut butter or not!  It makes a really big "pancake"!  :)

You can also just do eggs and potatoes.  Top with a peach!  Yum!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm tiptoeing back onto the forum after some rough times - just catching up with posting, although I read all of the replies as they were posted.

I finally got back around to eating a better breakfast, and can I tell you...you are a genius. Egg & veg in muffin cups has saved me. It is so much more palatable than the way I had been reheating them. 

Thanks so much!

Just a thought, but when you reheat your quiche muffins, do you do it in the microwave or the toaster oven? I find that If I wrap things like that in foil, and just open the foil a bit, enough for steam to escape but with the top still covered so it doesn't burn, I can put it in the toaster oven (in mine, I think I do about 8 minutes just on the toast setting) and it reheats nicely with no texture problems. 

One more really quick breakfast that I REALLY like.  I mix everything together and fry it in coconut oil.  It is like a pancake.

3 large eggs, potato's, shredded zucchini, green onions.  Fry. You can add a little coconut butter or not!  It makes a really big "pancake"!  :)

You can also just do eggs and potatoes.  Top with a peach!  Yum!!!!!

This is similar to what I make, only I call it an Omelette instead of a Pancake so I don't get in trouble for violating the Rules!  :ph34r:

Mmm...I just made my first hearty soup of the season. Almost every Sunday during the fall and winter I will make a large batch of a hearty stew or soup and then I've got at least 7 meals ready to reheat all week. I don't really have any recipes, I just choose my protein and then pick at least 5 vegetables and 3 spices to add. Here's tonight's concoction:

- grounded turkey

- onions

- carrots

- butternut squash

- cabbage

- fresh spinach

- fresh ginger

- fresh basil

- fresh ground pepper

I added tomato paste at the end for more flavor and it was yummy. I feel nice and full after a bowlful and I have also officially kicked off fall cooking in my home! Oh, for my fat I just noshed on a closed handful of cashews while cooking the soup :)

If the weather turns colder next week, I'm going to make beef stew with pumpkin in the crockpot. It's one of my favorites. Yum.

• 2 months later...

Just an update: the Spicy Tuna Cakes changed my life. No matter how my diet has been in general over the last few months, I pretty much eat these every morning at the office. (on the weekends I have time to make a real breakfast).

I'm trying to figure out how to tweak them to use a different protein. But they have been a total godsend.

If anyone is looking for something to keep in the freezer that reheats well...can't do better than these.

Okay this sounds so WEIRD!!!  But I promise these are REALLY good.   Spicy Tuna Cakes

I got these from Nom Nom Paleo cookbook and even my husband liked them. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/Spicy-Tuna-Cakes

If you like Nom Nom's Spicy Tuna Cakes you will really enjoy her "Great Balls of Fire". I don't believe the recipe is on her website but it is in her Nom Nom Paleo Ipad app - which is absolutely worth every penny (especially to support such a wonder resource!).

The recipe calls for grass fed beef but I've made them with other ground meats too (dark meat chicken/turkey) and they are delicious!

Just an update: the Spicy Tuna Cakes changed my life. No matter how my diet has been in general over the last few months, I pretty much eat these every morning at the office. (on the weekends I have time to make a real breakfast).

I'm trying to figure out how to tweak them to use a different protein. But they have been a total godsend.

If anyone is looking for something to keep in the freezer that reheats well...can't do better than these.

Do you know if these are the same as the Asian Meatballs? I've made those, and they make a delightful lunch when thrown on top of a salad.

And good point about the ipad app - happy to support the author because I've gained so much from her site.

What a coincidence - I just finished eating her asian meatballs for lunch. They are one of my weekly staples but no they are not the same. The great balls of fire are slightly sweet (from the sweet potatoes similar to the tuna cakes) and spicy - just delicious.

Do you know if these are the same as the Asian Meatballs? I've made those, and they make a delightful lunch when thrown on top of a salad.

And good point about the ipad app - happy to support the author because I've gained so much from her site.

Ooh! I'll admit, I made an audible happy noise when I read this.

I think I could cook only her recipes and be a happy person.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Sometimes I need to hear from a person "go try this", even when the recipes are otherwise there for the finding.

• 2 weeks later...

If you like Nom Nom's Spicy Tuna Cakes you will really enjoy her "Great Balls of Fire". I don't believe the recipe is on her website but it is in her Nom Nom Paleo Ipad app - which is absolutely worth every penny (especially to support such a wonder resource!).

Yes! This suggestion!

Downloaded the app today. Indeed worth the $$, both for what you get and as a thanks for the recipes I've made so much use of.

Great balls of fire are on my prep list for next weekend.

Mmm...I just made my first hearty soup of the season. Almost every Sunday during the fall and winter I will make a large batch of a hearty stew or soup and then I've got at least 7 meals ready to reheat all week. I don't really have any recipes, I just choose my protein and then pick at least 5 vegetables and 3 spices to add. Here's tonight's concoction:

- grounded turkey

- onions

- carrots

- butternut squash

- cabbage

- fresh spinach

- fresh ginger

- fresh basil

- fresh ground pepper

I added tomato paste at the end for more flavor and it was yummy. I feel nice and full after a bowlful and I have also officially kicked off fall cooking in my home! Oh, for my fat I just noshed on a closed handful of cashews while cooking the soup :)

If the weather turns colder next week, I'm going to make beef stew with pumpkin in the crockpot. It's one of my favorites. Yum.

Dumb question- but I don't have a ton of experience with soups or stews...what do you use for liquid? Broth? Water?

• Administrators

Hi Susan,

For soups I usually use homemade bone broth. For stews, I don't use any liquid. One of the very best tips that I ever received was years ago and the friend told me that if you use enough meat (and fattier cuts) and lots of delicious veggies and cook it long and low (ie, crockpot), it will create just enough of its own liquid to make a thick and hearty stew. I've done that ever since and have never needed to thicken the stew.

• 1 year later...

I have to laugh as I review this. This thread changed my life!

On 8/13/2014 at 2:40 PM, Guest PaleoViki said:

Okay this sounds so WEIRD!!!  But I promise these are REALLY good.   Spicy Tuna Cakes

I got these from Nom Nom Paleo cookbook and even my husband liked them.

On 8/13/2014 at 3:15 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Soup is also nice for breakfast and would freeze well. Just take a container out of the freezer and put it in the fridge every evening before you leave and it'll be thawed and ready to heat up when you get in the next morning.

1) my go-to weekday breakfast (at the office) is now two Spicy Tuna Cakes and a big mug of vegetable soup - whenever I'm trying to be on-plan or even just "eating better".

2) the Nom Nom Paleo app has some of my all-time favorite recipes.

3) I finally got a copy of Well Fed from my library, and have learned so much between the book and following Melissa in various media.

So thank you again, all. Great suggestions.

Archived