Low energy/ poor performance in gym- Day 17

Hi! A little background- F, 36, 5'4" 120# competitive cross fitter with severe carpal tunnel (going on 3.5 years now- started with the birth of my daughter). I am in day 17 of Whole 30 and my energy levels are very low- as is my performance in the gym... I am doing the W30 to try to impact my carpal tunnel before I consider surgery. I document my food and training here http://amberbeane.blogspot.com. I suspect my carb levels may be low but I am very hungry recently and am wondering when my performance/ numbers will come back- really getting frustrated and I have a competition at the end of this month.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

From what I can tell, you are probably not eating enough calories overall. I'd recommend implementing pre- and post workout meals as bonus meals in addition to your three main meals. Pre-workout meals should be protein and fat like 2 boiled eggs. Post-workout meals should be lean protein and some carbs like a chicken breast and a baked sweet potato. If you train first thing in the morning and do not tolerate food well, you might eat just one boiled egg before you start. Your main meals should feature protein, fat, and veggies each time. The protein portion should be at least as big as the palm of your hand and you can eat 2 times the size of your palm if you are hungry. You are not supposed to be hungry during a Whole30 except briefly before eating, so eat. Eating a sweet potato every day would not be too much given your training schedule. You might eat butternut squash or root vegetables for more energy too.

Archived