Stomach aches during Whole30

I started on August 1, so I am now on Day 13 of my Whole30. I've been having stomachaches the past week off and on. Sometimes I feel slightly nauseated. Sometimes it feels like gas pains. Today it just aches. I'm wondering if this is a normal part if the process or if maybe something I'm eating is causing it. I never had any stomach issues other than a stomachache when I ate too many sweets before starting Whole30.

Any ideas for me?

• Moderators

You should probably list a couple of days' worth of food, especially if you can list from days where you did have problems, and days where you didn't. It will make it easier to offer suggestions.

Common things that seem to come up in the forums for a lot of people include too many nuts causing problems. Too many raw veggies can cause problems for some people, if you've suddenly begun eating a lot more raw veggies during your W30 you could try cooking your vegetables for a few days and see if it helps. Some people find they're adding a lot more nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes) and find they have a sensitivity to them that they didn't realize before. Some people add a lot of coconut during a W30 and find they react negatively to it.

These are really just guesses, though. If you list what you've eaten, I'm sure people will be able to give you suggestions about what could be causing you problems.

You may need to add fiber to your diet. I add some ground flax seeds to my meals. Also when you do an elimination diet your body can release a lot of stuff into your digestive system and can cause things to get worse for a while. I hope you feel better.

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar problems and I need a solution!

I did w30 last year but still used coffee creamer (I know, I know). This time around I've ditched the creamer and use coconut milk instead. I'm 100% compliant. I'm on day 5 and for the past 3 days I've been nauseous and crampy. I realized this morning that I'd forgotten to start my probiotics, so I started those today. No diarrhea, but definitely much looser and frequent urges.

Food Diary:

Day 1

Bfst: two eggs with spinach

Snack: Lara Bar

Lunch: leftover taco meat and guacamole, watermelon

Dinner: Buffalo Ranch Stuffed Pepper with guac

Day 2

Banana and handful of almonds pre-workout

Bfst: three eggs with sautéed mushrooms and spinach

Snack: Lara Bar

Lunch: Buffalo Ranch Stuffed Peppers, salad, Watermel

Snack: apple

Dinner: zucchini noodles with meat sauce

Day 3

Banana and almonds pre-run

Bfst: the egg thing again

Lunch: leftover meat sauce and salad

Snack: apple

Dinner: fall Harvest Soup (chicken, butternut squash, onions, apples, pears, cinnamon, s&p)

Day 4

Bfst: eggs, mushrooms and spinach

Snack: spoonful of Almond butter

Lunch: leftover soup and salad

Snack: mixed nuts

Dinner: steamed broccoli and baked salmon

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help with the stomach aches but they might and they will certainly give you better results over all.

The recommendation of whole30 is to eat 3 meals a day that fit the template and no snacks. That means 1-2 palms of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies, and 1-2 servings of fat. Pre-workout meals are protein and fat no starches (no fruit!) and post-workout meals are lean protein and starchy vegetables no fat. If you feel you need to eat in between meals have a mini meal that includes protein and fat. Avoid snacking on nuts and fruit. Nuts are very bloating for most people and fruit can cause sugar spikes. Save your 1-2 servings of fruit for part of or immediately following a meal. Larabars should be used for emergencies only not as a regular snack. Work on making your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours and have your first meal within an hour of waking up. 

Given all of those things you can probably look through those 4 days and see what needs to be tweeked going forward. It is hard to tell what your portion sizes are but I'm guessing you need to eat a bit more and you need to lay off the nuts for a while and see if that helps your digestion. Nuts should only be used as a fat source infrequently.

If you are training for a marathon than you need to eat towards the upper end of the template at your meals and I get proper pre and post workout meals. Eating fruit before your runs will keep you from making the fat adaption switch because you are fueling with readily available sugar in your blood stream. After your run have something like chicken and sweet potato and then have compliant first meal. 

I did half marathon training during my 1st Whole30 and you are welcome to look at my log though I openly admit I wasn't the best post workout person. Also check out the Whole30 for athletes section of the forum.

Archived