August 13th State Date

laurenswim

Hi I'm Lauren.  New to the Whole 30 and am just starting day 2.  I'm looking forward to working my way though the challenges I face in this program. So far aside from a little congestion this morning I'm still feeling pretty good.  I'd love to find some friends for encouragement that have started on or around the same time as me. Accountabili-buddies!

Hi,

I started yesterday, on August 13th. This is my 2nd whole30, well it may be my first whole30. My first attempt at a whole30 was actually a whole6. I made it 6 days and then blew it! This time, I am more committed, and more excited than before. I think last time I just wanted to give it a try and see how I did. I did better than I expected given my dedication was low. I need to drop some pounds after a crazy summer of overindulging, and I am actually looking forward to properly fueling my body and feeling good! I hope there are others that started the same day so we can go through this together!

What I will miss most:

beer

wine

cookies

What I am liking most:

Chicken, Onions, and mushrooms sauted

Coconut Lara Bars

Sweet potato hash

Looking forward to:

Making my own refridgerator pickles

finding a compliant nut butter

stocking up on fresh fruit, great time of year for it.

What about you?

Sarah

Hi Sarah!

Glad to have a companion! I've done some attempts at just basic paleo in the past - usually through challenges at my Crossfit gym and also fallen off the wagon pretty quickly. I've owned the It Starts with Food book for nearly a year and done nothing with it! Finally feel like I'm in a good place emotionally after a bit of a roller coaster year so I'm ready for this commitment.  I keep telling myself I'm just making choices today to benefit future me - and I'm worth the effort. I tend to make choices for the benefit of others over myself so this is good practice choosing things for my benefit for 30 days. 

I definitely will be missing wine!  But I'm now in the habit of whipping up some fresh guacamole in the morning to top salads and eggs and what have you and that is fantastic! I'm also looking forward to trying some new recipes - like Spanish cauliflower "rice" to make myself a burrito bowl that fits the plan. I love a good burrito! I also made coffee with just some whole fat coconut milk this morning and it feels like an indulgence so I'm pretty pleased about that. Good to know I have that treat available if I ever really feel like I "need it".

Sounds like you're doing great so far! Keep up the good work and if I find any super amazing recipes I will be sure to let you know!

Lauren

I LOVE guacamole! :) Being able to have avocados (which with them being higher calorie can be dangerous with other eating plans) is wonderful. That is smart to just make it up for the day. I was able to make some good taco meat and just seasoned it myself as the taco season mixes I found all had sugar, it was great on salads. I love mexican food, it's my favorite!

I haven't minded the switch to black coffee as much as I thought I would, but that is good to know about the coconut milk, I will have to try it for a treat as well. 

Last night, I put a little coconut oil in a skillet, sliced a banana and laid them in the oil on the pan, I put some coconut flakes in there, and then towards the end put some flax seeds on top. I just kind of kept flipping the mass, and the bananas got soft, and once they all were and the glob was all one I scooped it out into a little bowl and ate it warm. It was a REALLY good treat on day 1. I didn't feel deprived in the least!

Sarah

Last night, I put a little coconut oil in a skillet, sliced a banana and laid them in the oil on the pan, I put some coconut flakes in there, and then towards the end put some flax seeds on top. I just kind of kept flipping the mass, and the bananas got soft, and once they all were and the glob was all one I scooped it out into a little bowl and ate it warm. It was a REALLY good treat on day 1. I didn't feel deprived in the least!

Sarah

Oh that is an awesome idea. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to finding ways to make "treats" out of simple healthy things like fruit. My birthday is Monday so that sounds like a great option! I love coconut oil!

While technically compliant this "treat" is not something we recommend and I would say breaks the no swypo rule. You are essentially making a dessert from compliant ingredients. Part of the Whole30 is changing your relationship with food not just the foods we eat. Especially if you have a sugar dragon to kill things like this will keep it alive and kicking.

Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.  - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.727g5ri3.dpuf

I do understand, but it hadn't occurred to me. I guess I see what I made with the banana as a such HUGE departure from the batch of cookies I would have had one of my kids whip up, and then I would have eaten 6-10 of them before bed with a bottle of wine. No joke. So while some may see this SWYP's on, they don't know what SWYP's off, is like around here. LOL It's BAD.

I will try to be more conscious of this rule though. I have no intention of making cookies with avocados, or pancakes with eggs and bananas. I didn't see this as anything like anything else, but a new idea that was healthy. It didn't remind me of anything. But I can see how it satisfies a craving that won't go away if I don't stop satisfying it. 

Our CSA had a recipe for carrot fritters or latkes so I made those with the carrots we got in our share today for dinner. They were just okay. I am really full which is good. I had a nice salad for lunch, and two eggs with sweet potato hash for breakfast. I think it's been a pretty good day. I have a batch of fridge pickles getting ready in the fridge now. 

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/07/easiest-fridge-dill-pickles/

A friend had them at camp earlier this week and they were delicious. :) I hope mine come out.

Day 3 tomorrow!

Great job so far. I think just keep trying to be as compliant as you can and do what feels like it's working for you. Even if we are doing this at the same time, we are all still on our own journey right? No need to police each other...just encourage! Keep up the good work :)

HI my name is Melissa.  I also started on the 13th.  

My goals......to have a good relationship with food and lose weight of course! :)  I know how to eat well and I know how to lose but I also am a stress eater.  So I am hoping this will get everything back on track and teach me to reach for food because I am hungry and not bored, tired, stressed etc.

How are you guys feeling/doing so far?

I was eating pretty healthy before minus my weekly cheat days.  Sometimes two cheat days in a row if the San Francisco Giants were in town and it was game time.  lol  Three weeks prior to starting Whole30, I was almost paleo minus cheese, mayo (mmmm deviled eggs), and greek yogurt.  So those items have been cut out.  I havent had bad carbs in awhile.  But the no snacking.....killing me!  I have always eaten small meals every 2-3 hours.  Having to wait is hard.  

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself.  I look forward to hearing from yall!

I started on the 13th as well. Made it to day 21 back in June, but cracked under birthday pressure, and it has taken me this long to get back on the wagon! Birthday cake is a slippery slope, no? Day 3 now, and so far, so good. I had a mild headache off and on yesterday, but nothing like I experienced during my first attempt! I really suffered during days 2 - 5 then, but I feel pretty good today. Hope you are all having a happy day!

LOL, well you can stay if you want! :) Today is day 3 for us. I am feeling lethargic and a little cranky. I'd love to open a box of crackers and snack; wheat thins, pita chips, some thing in a box!!! We have five kids, so there are lots of tempting things around, that is going to be hard I know.

So welcome to everyone and great job so far. I'm not going to lie - I've been feeling great, almost euphoric. It's frightening me to wonder when the "ick" feeling will set in. Yesterday was kinda a blast - hit the grocery store and really felt very smug as I was checking out with a ton of organic meat and produce.  My only issues thus far have been being sure to eat enough. I've been increasing my portions at meal time because I can just tell I'm not getting enough food still. I know I've already lost some weight because I can see it on my body and in my jeans. So...I guess I'm fearing the tight pants bloat days if they come because I tell ya seeing some progress sure is motivating. 

The big goal for me - like Melissafitforlife is to have a better relationship with good. Weight loss will be a pleasant side effect. I just hope to get the to the point where I feel like I'm the one in control - not some cravings or emotional triggers. My birthday is Monday so I've been doing lots of planning to have three delicious meals that day so I don't feel at all deprived. I have a collection of cookbooks now with some amazing recipes so that part has been fun so far! Glad to hear everyone is doing well so far! Keep it up!

I was putting dates in my phone for milestones coming up, like 10, 20, and 30 markers. I realized my birthday will fall during my whole30 as well! Good luck on Monday! :) Can't wait to hear how great you do! I think I will have to enlist my husband to come up with some good stuff for me to have to help me get through the day. 

We went to a big farm market today, and I too felt a little smug with all the healthy stuff I got. They have cider and donuts there too, I didn't even go over to the bakery part. The smells alone were a bit rough!!! 

Ugh, I feel myself wanting to quit! Which makes me feel like how can I do this 30 days when on day 5 I want to quit? Blech! Makes me feel so weak! The egg salad looks wonderful. I need to make myself some thing good. I am not working hard enough to make good things.

My husband goes back to work tomorrow, maybe that will help some too.

So I'm loving my breakfast - it's easy too. I learned the other day that I hate cooked spinach (I learned when I gagged on what I was eating) but I know i love it raw.  So I made a big batch of ground turkey, reasoned really well with lots of sage and other spices.  Then I just toss some of that over a bed of raw baby spinach, and top it with two over easy eggs.  Since the meat is already done this takes seriously no time and is soooo yum.  

Definitely spend a little time looking for recipes that look really appealing to you.  I'm feeling great so far - but I'm sure it's because I've been making sure I find things that I look forward to eating.  I keep reminding myself that I'm doing this FOR myself. I will feel better, look better, etc. I already do feel better. I'm working now for the benefit of future Lauren....future Lauren is totally worth it.  Future Sarah is worth it too. Don't quit!!! 

This is one of my current mantras:  Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself. 

Nourishing your body is a very loving thing to do...keep it up even if it's feeling tough. I'm sure you will be so happy you pushed through!

Thank you for the encouragement! I made it though yesterday, and I am pretty surprised (and pleased with myself). The longer I go without giving up the stronger my resolve will be. I feel great today and am enjoying my food. I have a dinner planned I am looking forward to as well, and I mentioned to my husband finding some thing good to make for my birthday. I think that has inspired him (he likes to cook) and I am hoping there are maybe some wholo30 compliant dinners for the whole family in my future! 

Day 6! yay!

Hope day 7 is going well so far for everyone.  I'm a little tired this morning myself, but I think that's due to my 6am swim session.  I went easier on the workouts last week to ease myself into things - but now I'm back to swimming and Crossfit along with the yoga. Feeling sore in a kinda good way, and a little tired this morning - but pretty damn good overall still. The happy clear headed feeling is not going away - and not getting old! Have you ever had an experience where you just knew before you started that you were going to succeed? I did back in college when I was swimming - I knew I'd be winning my heat of the 200 fly I swam before I ever left the blocks. I looked at the girls I was racing, thought, "I got this" and was so focused and determined and I just made it happen. I'm feeling that today - like yes - I have this. It's going to happen. I keep making little choices that are proving to me that I am going to succeed.  

Dating has always been a challenge in the past with things I was working on nutritionally.  Especially first dates. Lately when people ask me out - I suggest that we can meet for coffee (well tea in my case) and then do activity based dates like hiking, mini golf, etc. In the past I'd always try to accommodate other people and learning to just make choices for more myself is definitely a journey. But the more I do it the easier it gets and the better I feel about it. Frankly I feel like I'll be feeling better and better (from all the yum yum healthy stuff I'm fueling myself with) and I'll also meet a better guy who can see how much I value myself, and also respects my choices. So far I've already met one guy who is totally supportive of the "activity date" ideas. Win win! Feeling pretty on top of the world about this :)

Still at the hospital, in order to stay compliant I am not eating much. I have had a lara bar, apple, banana, and some nut mix and it's 4pm. There is nothing I can have here and I can't cook. I don't have a huge appetite due to the stress but I know this isn't good.

Thanks, the cafeteria had a salad bar with oil and vinegar for dressing, I was able to get egg on the salad too for protein. Maybe I will make it! He is having an MRI tomorrow, hopefully that will show everything is ok. He has been great today, just a stiff neck. Spinal tap ruled out meningitis thankfully.

Archived