mparsonage

Vegetarian recipes?

I am on day 11 and have been a vegetarian for 7 years now.  Once I was accidentally fed meat and became violently ill, so I'm sticking to my vegetarian lifestyle.  However, I'm having trouble on this Whole 30 as it eliminates most of what I eat regularly - rice, dairy, the occasional bread, and a lot of beans and nuts/nut butters for protein.  Now on the Whole30, I do have a pea protein powder every morning with 20g, but as I have very little expeirence cooking, tofu night was a disaster.  I don't know what else to include for protein sources other than lots and lots of eggs.  (I wouldn't be surprised if I start clucking by say 30.)  I also despise squahes, sweet potatoes and yams so I feel very limited and I'm afraid I may not be eating enough or getting enough veggies and protein as I am still very tired and it's already day 11.  Does anyone have a list of recipes, or a website with Whole30 approved recipes for vegetarians?  Maybe a tasty way to cook squahes or tofu?  I'd like to make sure I am eating enough and gettin enough nutrients.

Have you looked at the vegetarian shopping list?

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

Properly prepared beans are still an option for you, as are nut butters (other than peanut). I'll track down some instructions for "properly prepared" beans and post a link. http://thenourishingcook.com/beans-without-side-effects/

Have you looked at the vegetarian shopping list?

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

Properly prepared beans are still an option for you, as are nut butters (other than peanut). I'll track down some instructions for "properly prepared" beans and post a link. http://thenourishingcook.com/beans-without-side-effects/

Oh what a relief that I can still have my almond butter! However, I couldn't find a single one that didn't say 2g of sugar on the label, but no sugar was listed in the ingredients list. Just almonds and palm fruit oil. Could the sugar simply be from the palm oil?  Is this still acceptable?

Also, would anyone know of any full recipes for meals?  I'm in a rut with food and don't think I'm eating enough.  I feel very tired and I feel as if I may actually be gaining weight.

Oh what a relief that I can still have my almond butter! However, I couldn't find a single one that didn't say 2g of sugar on the label, but no sugar was listed in the ingredients list. 

It is actually ok if you see sugar on the nutrition facts: almonds contain natural sugars. What you don't want are added sugars, so check the ingredients list. If there is no cane sugar or sugar or sweetener of any kind (or any other off-plan ingredient) then it is ok.

I agree with what your saying. Doesnt leave much on the menu for you. Could you have chai seeds and quinoa?

According to the shopping list: Chia yes, quinoa no. But properly prepared beans are a better choice for this context.

You can make simple curry style dishes with compliant coconut milk and stew your veggies and spices in it. One of my favorite meals is one potato, hash brown style in coconut oil and I top it with two fried eggs, salsa, and guacamole. The yolk make a sauce of sorts and it is so yum. Another I used to eat but discovered I cant have bananas is slice a banana top with a handful of unsweetened coconut, chopped cashews and a few tablespoons of almond butter. Good Luck : )

Great tips above. Eat up!

You might have to do a little research to figure out how to cook your tofu. I'm not vegetarian these days, but back when I was, I remember seeing lots of information in cookbooks (this was before we all did everything online) about how to prepare and cook tofu. Since all of my information and recipes are pre-internet, I'm not sure how to link you to anything. But I bet if you google "how to cook tofu" you'll get some practical tips.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I am a vegetarian by birth and by choice (I am a Hindu) and have only eaten vegetarian foods all my life. I started eating eggs on a regular basis in 2011.

I started my Whole30 on Jan 2nd and so far, it has been alright. I used to maintain a food blog that I had let go but have now restarted, with my Whole30 updates. I am posting recipes and food diaries there. If anyone is interested, feel free to click http://experimenteatingclean.wordpress.com 

I think someone mentioned this already but I'd say it again - veggie stews are a fantastic way to get your vital veg in as well as keep you feeling full. In South India, we make what we call as "kootu", wherein we use different veg combos - white pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, aubergine, drumstick, green beans, peas, cooked hyacinth bean - grind coconut with red chillies and cumin seeds, add some cooked yellow mung beans. Another type of stew is made using coconut milk -  dice veg like carrots, sweet potatoes, beans, cauliflower, parboil them and cook them fully in coconut milk, with green chillies to add a bit of spice. 

I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. Personally, I avoid tofu since it is concentrated soy, and soy has naturally occurring estrogen. Among other reasons, but that's me.

I decided to prioritize eating eggs - almost every meal. I also will  try to soak rinse, and sprout beans first before cooking them to  make them more digestible. I made up an egg loaf recipe to use in different meals (it's just eggs blended with coconut milk then baked) It has kind of a neutral flavor. You just change the seasons or sauce for different flavor profiles of each meal. You can cut off a few slices and saute it with your seasons for a minute or two to warm it and get the flavor in there.

We made this there other day.  We did have sun butter so we just blended sun flower seeds with the rest of the ingredients. It was great!

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/ 

******NEVERMIND!  I posted this then I just saw this was posted in August and now it is Jan 6th! 

Edited by TamiT

I've been building a board for ideas on Pinterest, but came to this thread looking for more. 

We've been having fun with taco salads- black beans, lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives and salsa

I also made a lovely "hash" last night with white and sweet potatoes, zucchini, onions and topped with fried eggs. 

It's tricky and I can't help but feel a little like I'm "off plan" with beans and tofu... even if it's permitted. 

Hey Stocktons- I agree it's hard to be on this plan and not feel like the vegetarian forum is not checked as often or that being vegetarian is just not good enough. There are a few kind moderators that stop by to give advice and guidance though, and that's appreciated.

When I started reading the infomation and boards too, especially the manifestos, I felt a huge contradiction in the vegetarian options. Especially with the manifesto about legumes and then to actually suggest tofu as a best option for a primary protein- it doesn't seem right. I try to aviod soy anyway because of all the research I have done about it, so to see it suggested while the original plan cuts out even a drop of soybean oil- it doesn't make sense.

My husband is not vegetarian, so we make meals to which I can add extra eggs, and he can add some kind of meat. Some of our favorites have been pad thai- made with spaghetti squash, Fried "rice" (cauliflower), zucchini noodles topped with our own tomato sauce or oil and other vegetables ( I had hard boiled eggs on the side), salads- he adds chicken and makes it a cobb salad, Sweet potato hash or latkes topped with homemade applesauce- best with over eary eggs!

Hopefully you can do it, and it won't be too discouraging for you! Good luck! 

Hey Stocktons- I agree it's hard to be on this plan and not feel like the vegetarian forum is not checked as often or that being vegetarian is just not good enough. There are a few kind moderators that stop by to give advice and guidance though, and that's appreciated.

Aww, sorry you're feeling that!  :( The vegetarian threads are checked regularly, it all comes up in the same list, no differentiation.  I think sometimes maybe there are less moderators who feel confident enough commenting and troubleshooting the vegetarian protocol.  I know I do not feel knowledgeable enough about it to make a reasonable statement so I just stay out of it.  

I think I was in another thread with you about the vegetarian aspect and how tofu is permitted.  You seem to do a really awesome job of using eggs for your protein, thereby avoiding the other less great protein options out there! Vegetarianism doesn't fully mesh with Whole30 nutritionally, that much is just a fact, unfortunately.  But hopefully people do the best they can and learn some of the other aspects of Whole30 like three meals a day, eating within an hour of waking, discovering their emotional issues surrounding food etc.

Thanks ladyshanny! See, you're one of the few moderators who responds in this forum. I noticed that if things are posted in the other parts of the forum they seem to get answered in a few hours, while this section seems to take days.

Anyway, I did my entire Whole30 with eggs! Ahh! That means if I averaged about 5 eggs a day...I just ate 150 eggs last month. That's funny!

Now I've added back some dairy, but haven't changed anything else. It was a good month!

Thanks ladyshanny! See, you're one of the few moderators who responds in this forum. I noticed that if things are posted in the other parts of the forum they seem to get answered in a few hours, while this section seems to take days.

Anyway, I did my entire Whole30 with eggs! Ahh! That means if I averaged about 5 eggs a day...I just ate 150 eggs last month. That's funny!

Now I've added back some dairy, but haven't changed anything else. It was a good month!

Oh, you did do it!!!  I was wondering if you'd managed with the eggs.  I love me some eggs (and feel completely ripped off if I don't get at least two a day) but I don't know if I could do 30 days with nothing but them.  Good on you, that took dedication and strong will, I think!!

Yeah, I did it! it's a good thing I like eggs!

Mostly I ended up eating them hard-boiled or over easy. A few times I had them scrambled, but adding a hard boiled egg to things is really easy!

I haven't eaten eggs today or yesterday, and it's kind of weird! Ha ha!

On 1/6/2015 at 7:49 AM, chennaichick said:

I am a vegetarian by birth and by choice (I am a Hindu) and have only eaten vegetarian foods all my life. I started eating eggs on a regular basis in 2011.

I started my Whole30 on Jan 2nd and so far, it has been alright. I used to maintain a food blog that I had let go but have now restarted, with my Whole30 updates. I am posting recipes and food diaries there. If anyone is interested, feel free to click http://experimenteatingclean.wordpress.com 

I think someone mentioned this already but I'd say it again - veggie stews are a fantastic way to get your vital veg in as well as keep you feeling full. In South India, we make what we call as "kootu", wherein we use different veg combos - white pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, aubergine, drumstick, green beans, peas, cooked hyacinth bean - grind coconut with red chillies and cumin seeds, add some cooked yellow mung beans. Another type of stew is made using coconut milk -  dice veg like carrots, sweet potatoes, beans, cauliflower, parboil them and cook them fully in coconut milk, with green chillies to add a bit of spice. 

@chennaichick the Wordpress link didn't open...can u help?