Day 7... feeling guilty for eating an apple...

kallie

Hi,

So I'm on day 7 of my 1st Whole30. I am a total sugar addict (also have a Hx od EDNOS) which I plan to totally kick during this month and never return to. I've had no problem at all staying compliant with meals, no SWYPO stuff and somehow I haven't even wanted sugar, at all (I did return from an overseas trip the day before I started W30 and I did majorly 'indulge' while away, not sure if that would make a difference). Anyway, because I know how much I love sugar I have avoided all fruit thus far (other than unsweetened 100% apple sauce which is part of my jerky marinade) as I didn't want to trigger the sugar response. But tonight, after dinner (yummy mince n veg curry - which I made while my folks went out and got burgers n fish n chips for tea to bring home - not even tempted there thank goodness!) I discovered apples in the fridge. I wasn't craving sugar but once I saw them I REALLY wanted one. So I ate it with some almond butter (damn apples are SO sweet and delicious). I ate it slowly and enjoyed it but now I am feeling really guilty. It was kinda like having a dessert (I used to always want something sweet after savoury) and I am really worried its gonna trigger the sugar demon. I mean technically it was a compliant food but I kinda feel like I have cheated. Am I just being silly or venturing on dangerous territory? I'm worried now I have had one I will want one every day. Apologies this is so long, I really DONT want to screw this up. On a side note I did a test for Ketones this morning when I got up - they registered as medium. Reckon this means I am becoming fat adapted? Long post, sorry.

K

• Moderators

I would recommend letting go of the guilt and making sure this does not become a daily habit. It was a compliant treat, and you'd likely do well to think of it that way. Treats should be rare. Like once every few weeks rare.

Guest Andria

This could be a slippery slope of a thought process leading *potentially* to disordered thinking/eating. Do not feel guilty for eating an apple!  Sugar packaged in a fresh in season piece of fruit is not evil! If you want an apple, have one and enjoy it; that sounds like exactly what you did.   :)

".....but I'll add the "official Hartwig opinion" here.

There are very few reasons I can think of to give up fruit entirely, or purposefully limit intake. For one, let's not confuse fruit with fructose. Fruit isn't sugar - fruit is a whole food, with a whole host of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, fiber, water. And yes, it contains some sugar, but that's not the same as sugar.

We believe eating whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods in their natural state makes you more healthy. Fruit falls into that category, and we encourage consumption on the program. Now, we prioritize veggies because, as Renee said, they are more nutrient-dense as a whole. But nobody ever hurt themselves eating a few (3, 4, 6!) servings of fruit a day, in the context of a nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory, whole-foods based diet like ours. This is especially true when consumption follows a general seasonality - eat more fruit in the summer, when it's fresh and delicious, and less in the winter, when it's less available and not biologically "normal."

Reasons to limit fruit consumption may include fructose malabsorption (for those folks who don't tolerate fructose well and experience digestive distress when eating too much fruit at once), or for those who find they use fruit to prop up sugar cravings. In those instances, we don't recommend you eliminate fruit, only change how, when, and how much you consume it.

The idea of a "detox" program that limits fruit but promotes "sugar-free" pancakes, muffins, and donuts baffles me, to be honest. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

I hope that helps. As for your consumption, don't be afraid of a few pieces of fruit! Enjoy them, especially while they are in season, as part of your healthy Whole30/Whole9 varied diet.

Best,

Melissa"

• Moderators

My response would have been different if OP was that worried about just eating an apple. But an apple, IMHO, is a very different thing than an apple eaten with nut butter, a notorious food without brakes for lots of folks.

Holy jesus...excuse my expression feeling guilty for eating fruit! Too harsh on yourself. I posted on another thread asked if eating a banana and almond butter before a preworkout is ok and got told that its is wrong! Well I went back to read the book and like the above quote said....enjoy fruit while in season! Ive allways had issues with wieght and a terrible relationship with food. I found the whole 30 liberating! Enjoyimg food in its real form. Ibe tried so many diet plans with food that tastes terrible and prepackaged crap and the guilt for enjoying "high sugar" fruit. DONE AND DONE with that mentality enjoy life with fresh fruit and veggies! And as for nut butters yes it can be a trigger food without "breaks" but serving it in a small dish (a couple of tbls) and not eating out of the jar will definitely help with that! ENJOY!

• Moderators

Holy jesus...excuse my expression feeling guilty for eating fruit! Too harsh on yourself. I posted on another thread asked if eating a banana and almond butter before a preworkout is ok and got told that its is wrong! Well I went back to read the book and like the above quote said....enjoy fruit while in season! Ive allways had issues with wieght and a terrible relationship with food. I found the whole 30 liberating! Enjoyimg food in its real form. Ibe tried so many diet plans with food that tastes terrible and prepackaged crap and the guilt for enjoying "high sugar" fruit. DONE AND DONE with that mentality enjoy life with fresh fruit and veggies! And as for nut butters yes it can be a trigger food without "breaks" but serving it in a small dish (a couple of tbls) and not eating out of the jar will definitely help with that! ENJOY!

I just wanted to point out, I haven't seen the other thread where you were told that, but per the meal template, AS A PRE-WO MEAL, a banana and almond butter are not a good choice, because you want protein and fat and no carbs. Which doesn't mean that a banana and almond butter in general, as in with a meal, is wrong, just that specifically in that situation, it isn't the best choice and it isn't what is recommended. I hope that's what the people in the other thread meant, but again, I didn't read it, so I don't know.

As for the OP - Ideally, none of us would feel guilty for anything we eat -- it's just food, not a moral issue. Eating something doesn't make you a bad or good person, no matter what that something is. And the food itself isn't good or bad -- it can make you healthier or make you less healthy, it can be tasty or not, but it's not good or bad in a moral sense.  This is something I still struggle with, after a lifetime of being overweight -- it's easy to feel like being fat is some kind of moral failing (I must just be too lazy to lose weight, if I worked harder I'd be skinny), and if you feel that way, then food becomes not something that makes you more healthy or less healthy, but something that contributes to this moral failing or doesn't. And given the emphasis on low-fat being healthy that I've always heard, and how horrible low-fat stuff tends to taste, in my mind it's easy to think of things that taste good as being unhealthy, so I get that many things we're allowed to eat on W30 feel like guilty pleasures, including fruit with nut butters.  I don't know how to permanently change that mindset, it's something I'm working on, but I do think feeling guilty about what we eat is an unhealthy way to think. Food isn't like alcohol or tobacco or other drugs -- we can't just cut it out of our lives completely, and therefore it seems to me that it's worth trying to be as healthy as possible, not only about what we actually put in our mouths, but in how we think about it.

Also, I think LadyM is right when she says there's a difference between eating an apple and eating an apple with almond butter. I can eat an apple and not crave more apples. I can eat almond butter on celery and not crave more of either. If I eat an apple with almond butter, I want more. There's just something different about the combination.

Archived