Wolfe Family Whole 30 Round 2!

wolfesj

My husband and I are getting ready to start Whole30 round 2 this Sunday, 8/17 and I wanted to go ahead and post an intro since I will be too busy the next couple of days to do it then. This may be long, but I want to get it all down for documentation so if you make it through, thanks for sticking with me!

We tried for round 1 last year in May but fell off the wagon on day 21 when we "needed" fresh ice cream at the beach. We restarted in late June and made it the full 30 days but again fell off the wagon before too long and out eating habits are currently terrible. This is a combination of schedule, finances, and stress level.

Our situation: I am 29 and work 3-12 hour shifts per week at an urgent care with an hour drive each way and am otherwise home with our 2 1/2 year old. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and am on synthroid each day. I have always had perfectly normal labs otherwise, but have suffered with significant fatigue for as long as I can remember (I missed many half days in high school and college from oversleeping/falling asleep in the middle of the day for hours). I am always irritable or sad and reach to food when I am emotional. I am 5'4 and have always weighed around 120 until the last couple of months where I have gained almost 10 pounds (combination of financial/social stress and poor eating habits). I do not exercise, but plan to start next week with a home exercise program as I think I will stick with it more if I don't have to leave the house and find someone to watch the toddler.

He turns 32 in a few weeks. He works 6 days a week, 9am to midnight, as a restaurant owner (has to work all day to save money instead of hiring someone else in the slow season). He has high triglycerides last measured just over 300 last September when we got a life insurance policy for him, also had low HDL at that time. He has irritable bowel problems, skin problems, and struggles to stay asleep at night even though he is exhausted. He used to go to the gym 5-6 days a week but since the restaurant opened 6 months ago he has not made it there at all; I am hoping he can use the exercise DVDs we just ordered.

We would like to do this without breaking the bank. The first round we tried came in at an average of $300 per week. Second round came in around $225 per week. I would really like to go below $700 for the whole month this time, so any advice on inexpensive meals is much appreciated.

Whew, that was a lot of information! I am looking forward to coming here for my food log and inspiration over the next month! If we have time, I will try to take some before photos and post them here :)

Archived