Starting log, day 26! (wait what?)

ChristaD

*rant*

Haven't been keeping a log and am already on day 26, but instead of breezing right into the finish line I just feel like laying down and taking a nap here just a few hundred yards from the checkered flag.

I have insomnia that seems to be caused by restless muscless from working out. I have acne from what seems to be my system dispelling toxins and purging fat instead of sugar, my digestive system hasn't been able to decide if it's happy or unhappy for two weeks now no matter what foods I change to, and I swear if I have to eat one more hardboiled egg I am going to puke.

It's not like i want to just toss in the towel, I've spend hundreds of dollars on revamping my kitchen from something you might see at a college dorm to something that can support cooking every meal from scratch and all the spices, oils, and utensils that go with it. I want to finish and make lasting changes to my eating habits, I'm just starting to doubt if I'm really ready to hop off the bandwagon and go it on my own.

I still have a half page long list of cooking supplies I need to make a go at a real paleo kitchen that I had to put off until next months budget, I have got to get a cookbook or make a list of recipies or something because I am getting stuck in a rut with some of my meals, especially the veggies. I thought I'd be a pro by my last week and for some reason today I just feel like I am back to the beginners block.

*end rant*

• Moderators

I've pinned a bunch of W30 recipes on Pinterest. Check out The Clothes Make The Girl's website, Nom Nom Paleo, Stalkerville's W30 section, Tom Denham's Whole Life Eating, or Stupid Easy Paleo for more recipe ideas. If you prefer cookbooks, Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are both good, as is Nom Nom Paleo's Food For Humans -- but honestly, if your budget doesn't allow for the cookbooks, you can find plenty of recipes absolutely free online.

You should probably list a few days' worth of typical meals -- maybe someone will have suggestions about how to help you feel better. I know I've read of people having problems with insomnia when they go too low carb.  And you never, ever have to eat hardboiled eggs. They're my least favorite way to eat eggs, so I rarely have them. 

Yes, you don't have to eat hard boiled eggs all the time.  I am on day 23 and I have only had boiled eggs once, and that was because I was camping and they were easy!  I do have eggs for breakfast every day, but I tend to scramble them or make omelettes filled with spinach, mushrooms, onions…anything really.  My favourite is making sweet potato hash and then putting over easy eggs on top…so good!  Try switching it up!

I've pinned a bunch of W30 recipes on Pinterest. Check out The Clothes Make The Girl's website, Nom Nom Paleo, Stalkerville's W30 section, Tom Denham's Whole Life Eating, or Stupid Easy Paleo for more recipe ideas. If you prefer cookbooks, Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are both good, as is Nom Nom Paleo's Food For Humans -- but honestly, if your budget doesn't allow for the cookbooks, you can find plenty of recipes absolutely free online.

You should probably list a few days' worth of typical meals -- maybe someone will have suggestions about how to help you feel better. I know I've read of people having problems with insomnia when they go too low carb.  And you never, ever have to eat hardboiled eggs. They're my least favorite way to eat eggs, so I rarely have them. 

First off, thank you Shannon for your reply. It's not so much that I can't afford a cookbook, it's just the massive overhaul my kitchen required was something I had to end up pacing myself for, I'm working on getting debt free with the help of good ole Dave Ramsey and spending money on organic meat, immersion blenders, food processers, kitchen shears, knives, pots, pans, oils, spices etc etc etc etc just wasn't in my budget automatically. NOT including the costco membership I picked up I've spent 162$ (162.89 to be exact) over my monthly grocery budget. I've got no problem investing in such a healthy lifestyle change, but I just have to pace myself, it has to be in next months budget. Tossing everything on a credit card and sorting it out later isn't a habit I want to pick back up ;)

Now on to the food. My breakfast is my biggest problem, I cannot eat right when I wake up, and I'd rather sleep until right before I have to leave for work than meander about the house for an hour in the morning, so I usually pack breakfast along with lunch the night before and take it to work, I sit down at my desk with breakfast just about an hour after I wake up and when I am ready to stomach some food. Sadly my breakfasts have all taken on the same look, 2 hardboiled eggs, and 2 cups of veggies which change from time to time, this morning it was sliced tomatoes with spices, olive oil and balsamic and some grilled summer squash. Another day I might have carrot sticks and some fresh tomato slices, along with a handful of raw nuts or a half an avaocado. It's pretty constant though, 2 eggs, 2 cups of veggies, and a serving of healthy fat.

From there things branch out, I go to costco once a month and pick up about 25-30lbs of organic meat (whole chickens, ground beef, boneless lamb legs) and then cut it down into serving portions and individually wrap it and freeze it all. I occassionally splurge for wildcaught salmon and a few choice steaks here or there.

Lunches are always leftovers from dinner. Lunches are ALWAYS leftovers from dinner. I cook two portions of dinner and pack my lunchbox as I do every time. Sadly you'll notice a pattern, a portion of meat, 2-3 cups of a veggie or two (or a stirfry of several) and an amount of healthy cooking fats or nuts and avocados. I might make something with coconut oil and cayanne pepper this day, I might do ghee and garlic and ground pepper another night, the flavors and veggies and meats change, but the ratio stays the same.

I've been making my own mayo and curry sauce and it has helped a bit by doing a curried dish here or there or turning lunch into a chicken salad lettuce wrap, but I think that's my weakest point, is experimenting with the dishes and creating more than just meat, veggies, fat, meat, veggies, fat.

FYI I am deliberately doing only organic meats to address a shoulder inflammation issue and fix my omega 3/6 ratio. My veggies I don't bother with organics, I'd be broke!

Don't give up! You got this!

Check out this post for TONS of awesome links: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20736-ingredient-of-the-day-links-for-each-day-of-whole-30/

And ditto to everything above from Shannon and also check out 

I use my slow cooker A LOT, very helpful and many recipes can be adapted for that. 

I am on day 5 of my 2nd W30 and my first was 56 days. I really needed the extra time to get the crud out and start to feel and benefit from all that is amazing about the W30.

I rarely sleep through the night and I have also suffered from insomnia. I found that this really helps me. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Magnesium-Calm---/dp/B000GJOZWE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408127736&sr=8-2&keywords=natural+calm

It does not taste awesome so I add a little lime juice to it and down about 6-8oz of this with water before bed. Give it a shot. 

Best of luck to you!

Hang in there!! I don't eat eggs at all as I am doing AIP! No eggs since 5/5

Its not that bad at all. 

For breakfast (I am the same as you, maximize sleep so bring packed breakfast to work) I often do smoked salmon, herring, tuna, a burger patty..with some fruit/veg, etc, its usually a smallish meal then I eat an early lunch and an early dinner (sometimes pack this too). 

I've seen Moderator Tom say he eats sweet potato every night and it helps him to sleep. 

I agree with Shelli on the slow cooker - it is SUPER helpful and will honestly change your life (you can buy a slow cooker at any Goodwill or swap meet for about 5 bux or less  - the crock pot has not yet made its comeback)  - Nom Nom Paleo has fantastic tasty slow cooker recipes - I sub cheaper cuts of meat than she uses and often use way less meat since its just me. 

All the recipes in the link Shelli posted above are great, who was that amazing person who put that together  ;)  :P

And here's a link to a gazillion recipes: http://stalkerville.net/diet/whole30/

I agree with you, I do think you have to get creative with this, and that takes effort, especially if you're coming from dorm style eating and cooking. 

Are you doing a big cook up every Sunday for the week? I have found this kind of prep REALLY helped me out during the week. 

You're so close! Give yourself HUGE credit for what you've achieved - a whole new kitchen, way of shopping, eating, cooking. This is just a speed bump. 

I'm not incapable of cooking mind you, I can pull off some darn impressive dishes, the problem is in trying to stick to the portions so tightly I hesitate to make interesting dishes. Such as, sure that sweet potato chili looks great, but if I spoon up a bowlfull, how do I portion out only a palm size of protein and the rest with veggie? Do I need to modify the veggies? Am I keeping the healthy fat ratio right? 

....And then I can't make it into my perfect desired science and the recipe goes back into the pile.

Are you doing a big cook up every Sunday for the week? I have found this kind of prep REALLY helped me out during the week. 

You're so close! Give yourself HUGE credit for what you've achieved - a whole new kitchen, way of shopping, eating, cooking. This is just a speed bump. 

Not currently, I have in the past but I go camping a lot on the weekends in the fall and so I got to the point where my food habits were ruined if I had been out of town for a weekend (when I previously did a whole30 a few years back), so now I just try and do a little bit each evening.

Day 29.

Well I think I have pinned my stomach troubles onto sweet potatoes and to a lesser degree, carrots. Sleep still eludes me but it is getting better, I am trying to shut everything off and read a book an hour before bed, though I may have to try that magnesium and a hot shower.

I decided to stop my whole30 on day 30 and try paleo/primal out for 30 days, then hop back onto another whole30 and evaluate how I did on my own comparatively. We'll see how it works, I am wondering if it's a bad that I've been daydreaming about my first taste of chocolate in so long.

Archived