Stomach issues

This is my first Whole 30, day 16.  I have been experiencing diarrhea for the past week, every day except 1.  I am normally rather constipated so this is quite a change for me.  I have read that this might be a common experience, but how long is normal and is there anything I need to do to correct the issue.

Sample day's food:  Breakfast, eggs with peppers and onions, apple or cantaloupe; Lunch has been zucchini lasagna Paleo recipe (zucchini, tomato, spinach, ground beef) and dinner has been a large salad with chicken, Ranch Dressing from Well Fed.

Also have been feeling tired and on edge.  Any suggestions?

I am not an expert but I know when you change your diet your diegestion goes crazy. Some people get diarhea some get constipated. Your body is detoxing and releasing all the junk from your cells into your intestines so you may have to deal with this for a few more days. "better out than in"

Some tips that might help. Drink lots of water so you can stay hydrated, even drinking some coconut water for the electrolites if you feel you need it. Recomended is 1/2 your body weight in oz of water so if you weigh 100 lbs then 50 oz of water per day.

Add some fiber to your diet with ground flax seeds, chia seeds or hemp seeds. This may help bulk up a little and slow things down. If all else fails take immodiam AD or something similar that's compliant if possible.

Your meals look good to me. Apples can add to the problem so you might want to have a banana instead for a day or two and see if that helps.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Moderators

You can and maybe should take OTC meds for diarrhea. I find that meds resolve problems for me almost immediately. 

Instead of adding seeds to your diet for bulk, I would recommend starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, squash, plantains. That may help with diarrhea and improve your energy levels. Your meals don't have any starchy veggies and most people feel better when they eat at least one serving per day.

Archived