Day 7 today!

Janis6

I've nearly finished my first week. Here is what I have learned. It is really hard to stick to 3 meals per day! On workout days I would have an extra snack before doing an hour class (strength) or long bike ride (hour or more) but otherwise I have tried to stick to 3 meals per day. With fresh fruit available after a very long hard winter in our part of the world it is also difficult not to indulge. Those fresh picked wild raspberries on the vine as I walk the dogs. Wild blueberries in all there purple glory are very hard to resist. (I might have snuck a few...) It has gotten easier as the days passed and I hope when back to teaching school in September that being busy will help. (But that will bring lunchroom challenges, too!) I have felt more energy most days and look forward to seeing those changes and I try to keep up to my young charges as well as my own workouts. I have also learned that food prep is huge. When I have great food ready to eat in my fridge, I am less likely to grab a Larabar or other quick snack like fruit. Having hard boiled eggs and homemade mayo as well as lots of clean salad greens means I can put together a great meal in no time. That really helps when coming home tired from a run, or cycle or weight class! The other thing I'm learning is sleep - its getting better! A few restless nights and some vivid dreams but overall the quality of sleep is improving. Altogether the changes are beginning to outweigh the challenges. I shall fill in the goal sheet to help me continue to stay the course. Hope everyone is having their own successes!

Congratulations! FYI you can have a pre workout and post workout snack/meal if needed. The pre workout should be protein and fat (like a hard boiled egg) the post workout should be protein and carbs like chicken or tuna and sweet potato. I hope that helps. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice! I have been sticking yto the pre-workout protein/fat but my workout often coincides with a meal after, so I've just been having that. When I felt truly hungry last evening I also had a hard boiled egg and homemade mayo - not quite fish and broccoli but it was what I had on hand!

• Moderators

Not snacking is important, but on days that you workout, the plan literally calls for eating 5 meals in order to make sure you get enough nourishment. If you eat just 4, you might not be eating enough for your activity levels. Not eating enough means that snacks are very tempting, not just on the day you workout, but on other days as well as your body is seeking to make up deficits. 

It is okay to eat fruit you pick while walking the dogs. Really, enjoy and don't worry about it. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Archived