Oh Canada!

Hi I am from central Vancouver Island and am surrounded by local farms with an abundance of grass fed meat and organic veggies. I can find a lot of great stuff at the farmers market on Saturday mornings. The Bison farm is only about a 15 minutes drive away - just a bit pricy. I requested coconut aminos at our health food store and they brought it in. They also have coconut oil but no coconut flakes :(

I can find coconut oil almost anywhere here. SuperStore has it, so does Thrifty foods, and Quality Foods and after requesting it at Costco a few times, they finally started to carry it as well.

• 1 month later...

Hey Giselle, I just moved from Montreal but know a lot of good places to shop. What are you looking for? Regarding deli meat, at Costco in their deli section, they have Kirkland brand huge ~kilo packs of deli meat that have no sulfites. I don't know however whether they contain other non-compliant ingredients.

Hi there, Toronto neighbors. Here is the list of places I shop for the Whole30 stuff:

Meat - Healthy butcher, Loblaws on Queen has meat from Beretta Farms, one of the organic farms brings their produce to the farmer's market at Dufferin Grove.

Ghee (if you are lazy to make your own) - Vital Planet on Front Street (near St. Lawrence) + Organic Shop in Baldwin Village

Coconut aminos - Organic Shop in Baldwin Village (lowest price so far at 9CAD)

Coconut Milk - I buy Aroy-D as I find other brands rather nasty tasting. Any supermarket carry them, but if you are looking for cartons - Lucky Moose (right past AGO) is your go-to spot.

Pure coconut wraps - Big Carrot (Danforth)

I am trying to find a compliant fish sauce. Have any of you had luck finding it?

Nadia B: I was at an Asian supermarket the other day looking for the same thing. Found Patis which is Filipino fish sauce that contains anchovy extract, water, salt and sodium benzoate. If you can handle the last ingredient (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8707-rufina-fish-sauce/page__p__86550__hl__+sodium%20+benzoate__fromsearch__1#entry86550), you're good.

Hey Giselle, I just moved from Montreal but know a lot of good places to shop. What are you looking for? Regarding deli meat, at Costco in their deli section, they have Kirkland brand huge ~kilo packs of deli meat that have no sulfites. I don't know however whether they contain other non-compliant ingredients.

Thanks Emily I will keep that in mind. Any other good finds at Costco? What about fish? Can you recommend any Asian markets for fish sauce and such?

I'm in Ottawa too, and I've yet to find Coconut Aminos. I found coconut flakes at costco, but they have added sugar, and maybe sulphites, so I obviously passed on those, even though I'm not specifically on whole30 just yet, I've been trying to limit my sugar intake for years. Though costco does have a good price on Coconut oil & almond butter.

I live in Westboro, so I'm near a farmboy and rainbow foods. Rainbow foods has some decent stuff (where I grabbed my organic coconut oil), and farmboy has some decent stuff if you check the labels closely. Farmboy actually now has a self-serve salad bar that is $1.79/100g (cheaper than lots of their deli meats!) which includes a few types of lettuce, salmon, chicken and beef, as well as a ton of other veggies. My main concern is the ingredients on the meats, and if they are cooked in bad oils, so I sent an e-mail asking for ingredient lists on the meats there. I have yet to hear back, but I think that would make things a lot easier for me if it is compliant.

Update:

I got a response from Farmboy on the salad bar. Apparently they have a nutritional info binder in the department if you need to ask for anything in particular, but it looks like out of the salmon, chicken, and beef, that only the beef isn't compliant (has sugar in the ingredients, but 0g on the nutrition facts, but still not compliant I assume.).

Beef: Beef top sirloin steak, coffee beans, olive oil, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, sugar, cayenne pepper.

Chicken: Chicken, olive oil, garlic, herbs (parsley, chives, rosemary, oregano), salt, pepper.

Salmon: Salmon, dill, lemon juice, salt, pepper.

I tried all 3 (haven't started whole30 yet), and the chicken was a little dry (more like white meat turkey), but all 3 were fairly tasty. At least now I know when I start, I can have the chicken and the salmon!

• 3 weeks later...

I got a basket from Bryson Farms and I found the quantity for $50 to be incredibly small. I won't be ordering from them again, that is for sure. They say it should last 2 people a week. I'll be lucky if it lasts me 3-4 days.

Thanks Emily I will keep that in mind. Any other good finds at Costco? What about fish? Can you recommend any Asian markets for fish sauce and such?

Costco has a huge container of Organic coconut oil for around $17. I also find their nuts to be pretty reasonable, if you aren't triggered by bulk containers of them. Non compliant, once in a while GF foods are actually well priced also. (GF pasta, quinoa, dried fruit)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellow Fraser Valley/Lower Mainland dwellers! I finally found a delicious sugar-free sausage supplier at the Haney Farmer's Market today. http://www.chefsnaturalsausage.com is at area farmer's markets throughout the summer and fall, and they also supply to a few local stores. There is a list on the website. They have two varieties that look to be W30-compliant: German Bratwurst and South African Boerewors, both with no sugar or corn products. Sampled some bratwurst and it was DELICIOUS, super lean and flavourful. Their other varieties all had corn flour, but are probably delicious if you're post-W30 and ok with that.

I live in Toronto and usually get grass fed beef from one of three farmers markets - Wychwood Barns, Evergreen Brickworks (both Saturday) or Trinity Bellwoods Market on Tuesdays from Twin Creeks Farm.

I also just found this mail-order southern Ontario source for pastured poultry, pork and grassfed beef: http://www.grassfedbeefontario.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

If you were looking for Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil in Toronto, let me know. It's close to impossible to ship it from States (damn regulations) but I found a place with the lowest price + manager promised a discount because she knows me on purchases of 2+ bottles. PM me if you need details. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am from Toronto and ended up getting a large amount of pastured pork from Willo'Wind Farms - you can schedule a pick up at the Junction Farmers Market on Saturdays - here's the info:
Willo' Wind Farm, Farmer: Adrian Stocking, Contact: 905-852-3878, 416-254-0835, [email protected], craftontario.ca

Also, I did a bit of research on teas at David's Tea's that are whole30 approved: http://frompastatopaleo.com/2013/08/20/whole30-davids-tea/

If you can't find whole30 approved fish sauce in your area, you can get Red Boat Fish Sauce at amazon.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any tips on the least expensive coconut aminos? Or is it not possible to get it cheaper than $9 for a small bottle? I did find a website that has a gallon jug for $90, but it would be nice to get it in less.. bulk.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, as my neighbourhood health store DID stock the stuff, right next to the soy and tamari sauces.

You're lucky at least you can get it locally... here in Québec, because of all the laws on French labeling, we can't even get it in stores. I get mine from iHerb here. Their price is very decent, but with shipping and duty, it does add up... not sure it would be more economical for you than getting the local stuff at $9 a bottle. 

Hope this helps, still! 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all! Whole 30 Day 11 :)

I was happy to come across this thread because most of the other ones talk about sources that are only available in the U.S. (like Trader Joe's, U.S. Wellness, and Whole Foods)...I am originally from Ontario, but have been living on the East Coast in Nova Scotia for 3 1/2 years. Costco is a store I go to often and they have been carrying things like organic produce, free range eggs, coconut oil, avocado oil, nut butters, big cans of nuts, and so on. I go to Bulk Barn to get shredded coconut and dried apricots. I think it's a toss up, but Costco's nuts appear to be less expensive than Bulk Barn.

Right now I'm on the hunt for coconut aminos. We have standard grocery stores out here, Sobey's and Superstore, but I haven't been able to spot it. There's another store called Pete's that might carry it, but it's not a store I go to very often due to its location. My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Asian food like sushi, Vietnamese, pad thai...but the more I learn about soy, the less I want to put it in my body. Having the coconut aminos and compliant fish sauce would allow us to make some Paleo and/or Whole30 compliant Asian meals. Anyone out East found where to buy coconut aminos? And also ghee?

Hi all! Whole 30 Day 11 :)

I was happy to come across this thread because most of the other ones talk about sources that are only available in the U.S. (like Trader Joe's, U.S. Wellness, and Whole Foods)...I am originally from Ontario, but have been living on the East Coast in Nova Scotia for 3 1/2 years. Costco is a store I go to often and they have been carrying things like organic produce, free range eggs, coconut oil, avocado oil, nut butters, big cans of nuts, and so on. I go to Bulk Barn to get shredded coconut and dried apricots. I think it's a toss up, but Costco's nuts appear to be less expensive than Bulk Barn.

Right now I'm on the hunt for coconut aminos. We have standard grocery stores out here, Sobey's and Superstore, but I haven't been able to spot it. There's another store called Pete's that might carry it, but it's not a store I go to very often due to its location. My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Asian food like sushi, Vietnamese, pad thai...but the more I learn about soy, the less I want to put it in my body. Having the coconut aminos and compliant fish sauce would allow us to make some Paleo and/or Whole30 compliant Asian meals. Anyone out East found where to buy coconut aminos? And also ghee?

Hi there,

there is a thread somewhere on this forum dedicated to the coconut aminos. Amazon won't deliver food items within Canada, but I had luck with iherb.com 

Ghee - make yourself, it is so easy. Again a lot of posts here on the forum. You can google search ghee whole30 forum and the threads will come up. Here is the recipe with pictures step by step. 

I am sure you are checking, but Bulk Barn is notorious for selling dried fruits with added sugar and crap oils. /Gives read you labels speech/.  

Hi there,

there is a thread somewhere on this forum dedicated to the coconut aminos. Amazon won't deliver food items within Canada, but I had luck with iherb.com 

Ghee - make yourself, it is so easy. Again a lot of posts here on the forum. You can google search ghee whole30 forum and the threads will come up. Here is the recipe with pictures step by step. 

I am sure you are checking, but Bulk Barn is notorious for selling dried fruits with added sugar and crap oils. /Gives read you labels speech/.  

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that about Bulk Barn - luckily I haven't had any of my dried apricots from there since starting my Whole30...I think I'll be safe and just avoid them until I'm done at least. I know you can make your own ghee, but I have to track down grass-fed butter and a cheese cloth. I have no idea where you'd get a cheese cloth or grass fed butter. I did check out iherb.com and a 6$ bottle jumped up to 22$ due to shipping which is a crazy jump. A work in progress... :)

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that about Bulk Barn - luckily I haven't had any of my dried apricots from there since starting my Whole30...I think I'll be safe and just avoid them until I'm done at least. I know you can make your own ghee, but I have to track down grass-fed butter and a cheese cloth. I have no idea where you'd get a cheese cloth or grass fed butter. I did check out iherb.com and a 6$ bottle jumped up to 22$ due to shipping which is a crazy jump. A work in progress... :)

Whoa that's expensive. I guess you will have to stock up on a case of these when you are in Ontario :) 

Cheesecloth. Do you have Metro or Loblaws? They actually sell them. Canadian Tire sells cheesecloth in the canning section. 

I have seen KerryGold here and couple other brands but at a specialty shops that carry high end stuff. Do you have any farms around? They might sell you some grass fed goodness. You don't have to cook with ghee to be successful. It tastes damn good, though :) Just do the best you can, organic will do as well. 

• 1 month later...

Hi!  I live in midtown Toronto and we're lucky to have many options for finding whole 30 compliant products.  I have been searching for compliant Bacon for months - and NO luck!  I would also really like to find compliant jerky.

Can anyone share?  Thanks!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  I live in midtown Toronto and we're lucky to have many options for finding whole 30 compliant products.  I have been searching for compliant Bacon for months - and NO luck!  I would also really like to find compliant jerky.

Can anyone share?  Thanks!!!!

I'm not in Toronto (just down the 401) but I have found compliant bacon at Costco before. It was the Smithfield brand, low sodium variety. For some reason, low sodium also meant no sugar! But, of course, Costco often switches brands in and out and I haven't been able to find it there recently. 

And if you find a jerky, please post! I am having no luck. I should probably make own. 

Also look into NutraFarms for grass fed meats.

They are a company that does freezer orders of meat but you can customize it to how you eat (so we don't order any hotdogs or chicken nuggets for example). It's our second year with them and we are so happy! The pork chops are so yummy! and the bacon is compliant!

nutrafarms.ca

The other option would be to make your own bacon using pork belly. There are lots of recipes out there for this.

Archived