Can I have potato starch?

Skibee

I found some deli turkey breast at Whole Foods that might be compliant now that white potatoes are, but before buying it I'd like to check.

Brand: Fresh Fields Provisions

Item: Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast

Ingredients: Turkey, water, contains 2% or less native potato starch, sea salt, natural smoke

What sayeth the wise men and women of the board?

• Moderators

I guess you can, but any turkey that has been injected with water and potato starch like this is honestly crappy food. Real turkeys do not include potato starch. Just because a food is compliant does not make it a good choice.

Thanks, Tom.

Since this is my first Whole30, I'm still finding meal planning difficult since I really don't enjoy cooking. Protein sources are the biggest challenge, thus my hope that there might be something out there that I could just pick up at the market.

I guess I'll keep searching and keep this item on the shelf.

Perhaps up until now, you haven't enjoyed cooking.  Give the Whole30 a chance, and open yourself up to the possibility that your opinions on cooking might change over the next 30 days.

Do you have a crock-pot?  That can be extremely helpful: toss some things in a pot, turn it on, and you have a meal in hours.

You don't need to be a gourmet chef: keep it simple. My lunch go to, for example, is chicken or salmon salad (Trader Joe's has compliant canned options for both proteins), made with celery, compliant homemade olive oil mayo, and then a sweet potato on the side (microwaved - easy peasy). 

...your opinions on cooking might change over the next 30 days.

I think it'll take more than 30 days. I've been using eMeals for over a year, and been cooking every night, but I still view it as a necessary evil.  :P

I actually do okay for the most part. Lunches are often leftovers from supper and my crockpot is a beloved friend. There are just the occasional weeks when all heck breaks loose, or I'm away for work or on the weekend,  or I just can't face another hour of meal prep after a long day at work that I'd like to have a repertoire of simple, ready-to-eat lunches to fall back on.

I guess that's what the freezer is for, eh?

Archived