Day 7, first whole30.

chrissie

Lori thank you too for reminding me what I knew that WW doesn't work long term.  You and Donna have given me the metaphorical kick I needed!   This W30 has worked better than anything, and it was not hard.   I found a good reply in the 'dear Melissa' pages about getting back when you want to but somehow the brain does not engage.  Just one meal at a time --- well I'm about 10 meals in now, and wondering what I was panicking about!     I'm allowing myself to re-read everything W30, getting re-inspired.  Eating off plan is not worth it when it creates such mental turmoil!!!!  

Lori how's your tummy after a day of legumes?   The 'my little pony' costume sounds gorgeous!

Donna, now gluten is not a problem for you how do you feel about grains?  Will you allow many back?

How's life, Amy and Tina?

Fried eggs today, with tomato,  roast pork and soft lettuce & mayo, and tonight lamb chops with buttered cabbage, onions and sweet peppers, and sweet potato mash. 

Strictly Come Dancing on TV tonight, then back to child minding then work tomorrow night  :) 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi   The company is gone and I stayed compliant. It was a little tough with the apple pie but not terrible.  I had some nuts to munch on. Reading back I missed some glaring spelling errors on my last post.  I guess you were able to figure out what I was saying.

Chrissie I hadn't really thought about the grain issue but I think I will try to stay away from bread. I think I eat healthier if I am forced to think of foods other then a sandwich. I am more apt to eat a salad or meat and veggies. I may eat oatmeal or a cold cereal one a week or so. I may have rice one in a great while.  I need to read more on what paleo allows because that is what I want to do. I don't think they eat bread other then what they concoct .  I have looked more at the recipes then what all they allow. Chrissie I like Stupid Easy Paleo and another one I check out is Nom Nom Paleo.  You can Google them and sign  up for their daily or weekly post or just go on their site when you want a Paleo version of something.

Chrissi what is Strictly Come Dancing.  We have a show called Dancing with the Stars and this year we have a new Pro dancer that came over from the UK.  He had won the mirror ball trophy In the UK. Have you received your book yet?

my daughter and her husband are having a ball in Ireland and driving on the wrong side of the road.  (wrong to them anyway)

Lori that costume sounds really cute.  She will be the Belle of the classroom. Good luck on the food reintroduction. 

Hi Ladies !

Another good paleo site is  www.thepaleomom.com  she has AI so she has some good recipes for dealing with that too.

My the weekend flew by !  

I tried my wonderful gouda on Friday -  and in the middle of the night woke w/ some stomach pains and did not sleep well.  I only had a small piece - so not sure if that is what caused the issue, so I am going to retry it - but a much bigger piece !!  (my taste buds will enjoy that !)

My weekend was full - got my broken camper loaded with all the camping gear - drove that to my daughters house for the winter, did some shopping, and then finally relaxed.  Was going to take my daughter to see "if I stay"  but we both forgot about it until it was too late to go !  Go fgure-  Sunday went to visit a friend for the day - we did lots more shopping and ate out for lunch.  Went to a Mexican restaurant and had a taco salad.  The salad was just iceburg lettuce, and sometimes I have issues with lettuce if it was sprayed with that 'veggie cleaner spray'.  so - sure enough a little while later - my stomach was not happy.

I made a unplanned stop at my friends house, and her husband had just finished cooking and insisted I stay for dinner.  Roast chicken mashed potatoes & gravy and corn.  He made my plate - they are good friends so when he saw I didn't eat everything - he gave me crap - saying his dinner wasn't good .. etc   I said it would make a wonderful lunch. He sent home another container for my daughter !  Brought it home, gave brooke the potatoes and corn.  Made myself a baked potato and carrots and added that to the chicken for my lunch,

I hope everyone has a great day

Good afternoon friends.  Rainy afternoon here in Ohio.  I worked 24 hours yesterday and was very busy.  Slept about 2 hours, then slept this morning when I got home.  I am amazed how I feel during these shifts since I went whole.  They just don't kick my butt like they used to.  Also one of the labor nurses ask, "are you losing weight?  You look really great!"  That felt really good.  :)

Donna, I just picked up nom nom paleo from the library.  I love it!  I think I may have to buy this one.  I usually check things out first for free, then pick a select few to have in my collection.  I have always been an odd sort who reads cookbooks for fun.  Tina I will also check out your person "the paleo mom"

Tina, glad you got to try your special gouda.  I am interested in everyone's response to these add backs.  I love the guilt trip people try to put on us about food.  Sounds like you handled the situation well.

Chrissie, I am not totally convinced that all the gas was from legumes, I also remembered I had eaten several days of pork and sauerkraut.  Still, it may not be the best choice for me, I didn't feel perfect.  More belchy too.  It certainly isn't a food I ate everyday in my past. 

Food today, M1 two hard boiled eggs and a clementine.  M2 Pork and sauerkraut.  M3 still a mystery

Well I am off to see what to whip up for dinner. :wacko:

Good evening every one !

Made a roast tonight - with potatoes and carrots.  Had a good dinner, but even though I had carrots, I felt like I didn't get enough veggies. For Lunch I had the carrots too, but am used to eating a salad and it is funny how I look at veggies now -  "I didn't get enough"

Tomorrow I have off, so I am heading to the store to stock up - my veggies are all gone.

GRRRR  I just wrote a bunch and hit a key and it is all gone.   This site - almost every day wipes out something I wrote Gonna save what I have a come back and edit it

So I was saying (ok typing) that I am getting tired of being the only cook in the house... need some new easy recipes, or better meal plans.  I am going to make the Rogan Josh recipe from Well Fed but using stew meat instead of lamb.  I can't afford lamb, and if I'm gonna try it - I think it should be on something else.

The roast will last a few days - will make breakfast hash out of it.  My daughter is now back on her "I don't like meat" kick. so I think I will have to freeze some of it.

I would appreciate any suggestions !!

Hi all!  

Been a bit mental here as daughter and son-in-law picked up a tummy bug, so I had to step up the child care and go to work - no rest for the wicked!   I've only had 4 hours sleep today and another night shift tonight.... I did eat off plan last night; a combination of tiredness and unpreparedness.  I'm not going to panic, just get back on the W30 template as much as possible.  Thankfully everyone's recovering now.

Donna, I've just checked good old Google and your 'dancing with stars' is the same as our 'Strictly come dancing'.   I'm going to create myself a recipe book as the paleo book I got didn't inspire me.  There is loads on the internet and I need to remember like when I started this - keep it simple and not over complicate things.  A good rule for life in general I think!  :)

I am now reading 'grain brain' properly and  it is re-inspiring me.  I wish I could get my husband on board to take more responsibility for his health, his consultant was a bit dismissive, and he feels he is too old to change. Grrrr.  Maybe if I keep planting seeds they will bear fruit!!!   If not this week, next year.   Perhaps I'll use the 'prevent Alzheimer's' carrot  to lead him! 

Lots of good fats to add to good veggies to eat today, so tummy is satisfied.

Sorry I've got to dash off again without replying to all comments, beautiful autumn weather and colours here, that's satisfying my soul when I get to stop and look!  

Lori I checked at the library and they don't have nom nom paleo in their system. I like your idea about going there so you can try the book out for a couple weeks.  Usually when I buy a book i go to the book store and look at the book I want for awhile.  Its nice if you can find a seat but not very often. 

Then if I like the book I come home and order it from Amazon.  I also like to read cookbooks. It is always nice when somebody else notices weight loss without you having to tell them.

Tina let us know what you think of the Rogan Josh.

Chrissie The dance professional from that show that is here now is Anten or something like that. They said he had won one year over there.

I am also making a recipe book from things I have found on the internet. I also printed out hints people blog about for what they were doing to change things or recipes  up or whatever I was looking for at the time.

I am always finding something I want to cook on a site and think I will go back that night or the next then I forget where it was.  So now I print it out or pin it or save it on my time line on FB.

How are you doing Amy?  Busy with work..

It is my day off to today and I find that I spend a good amount of time looking at recipes, searching websites and reading cookbooks.  Today I pick up my market basket, so I will be eager to see what new fruits and vegi's I have to incorporate into the week.  Overall staying on program, really besides the legumes have not tried anything else.  A friend today sent me a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake, that is gluten free, paleo, vegan.  I was intrigued.  I have been craving something pumpkin, but want to stick to the program.  So if anyone has some kosher pumpkin dishes send then my way.

Donna, I too tend to keep recipes that I have found.  I copy the recipe, then paste it into a word document, and have a file of recipes on my computer. 

The other night I ended up making some cauliflower "rice"  it tasted fine, but I think that maybe I food processed this too long.  Anyone else tried this, helpful hints?  I then made a stir-fry with pork, broccoli and coconut aminos.  The meal was quick and easy.

Tina, enlighten me, I do not know what Rogan Josh is.

Chrissie, I know how we can make not so good choices when we are tired.  Sounds like your plate has been full.  Hopefully everyone is soon on the mend and you can get back to taking care of yourself :)

Ok, off to pick up my basket, that will direct the rest of my meals today.  M1 had breakfast hash of homemade sausage, onion, sweet potato, and kale with an egg on top.  Been putting some cinnamon on top, it was yummy.

Hello everyone!     I have another new veg to try; romanesco broccoli, it's very pretty and seems to have the same name in America, I'm just going to steam it and have it with some butter.   Lori  I've never riced cauliflower, I always thought it may go soggy?  

Eating-wise I am quite settled in again for now, it seems to be a bit of a pattern - eat well for a few days, forget myself and be a bit off plan for a meal or two then remember why eating well is good for me and get back. The 'good' days are the majority now, so though I feel I'm still a work in progress, I am happy that I am not falling into the old ways big style. 

Donna, I recall the dancer - Artem, he was good.  I hope he does well.    

Tina, I know what you mean about not having enough veggies on the plate - who would have thought it!   Lamb is pretty cheap over here at the moment, but our farmers are complaining they hardly get paid enough by the supermarkets to rear them.    

Made my lunch salad and grated some courgette (zucchini) and apple together - it was very tasty, so that'll go in my file of meals to remember!  Got some root veg roasting in duck fat to have with the romanesco and some roast meat.  It still seems decadent to have fats with every meal - yet that is the secret to doing this well isn't it?  and so not weight-watchers, ha-ha!  

Early night tonight and having a day out with hubby tomorrow, fingers crossed!  

I hope you are all ok too.

C :)

Hi again everyone.  I feel my journey with W30 is presently over,  and I bless you all for your travelling alongside me, propping me up when I stumbled and sharing your lives with me.   I truly am humbled by the way strangers can come together in a common cause!  I have loved meeting you but it seems to be the time to say bye-bye for now.   I've learned loads, and I am a healthier person than I was a couple of months ago, I would never have believed it!   I wish you all everything you would wish yourselves;  health and contentment  :).

C x

Chrissie - good luck with your continuing your journey -  it has been wonderful walking with you.  If you ever want to PM, please do so it would be nice to touch base and see how you are doing.   Anyone else that wants to PM you are welcome to, as well.  I would be happy to provide my personal email as well.

I am going to start a post in the Post 30 - if any one wants to join me there.  I will label it  -  more changes to come

Good luck to all who continue on !

I am just back from a camping weekend.  I have stayed strong.  I fixed Big-O bacon burgers, and then made my bun roasted portabella, from Nom Nom Paleo.  Over the fire they were just delish!

Chrissie, I am so sorry to see you go.  I will so miss your tales from across the pond.  You delighted me in so many ways. 

Tina, I will look for you on other posts.  I have to say I will miss this little group.  I have gathered such strength from everyone.  The group has gotten my through and I looked forward to everyone's posts.  More than willing to do this in a different way, but will respect too if folks must move on.

OOOOOOPS!!!!   Please can I come back?    I think I was having  mental aberration; thinking about food, doing it right, etc. was getting a bit overwhelming, and when I thought to drop off the planet I didn't really realise I would miss you guys, and your responses have humbled me, and we are a lovely little group aren't we :)!

It was a combination of family being unwell and needing me and me not feeling well myself, thinking 'I am eating as well as I can but loosing the benefit, where was I going wrong'?   Then I got round to reading the information leaflet for the treatment I am having for my skin, and one of the side effects is 'flu-like symptoms'   A typical nurse me, always telling others what to do and not doing it myself :unsure:!  So light bulb moment... it's the treatment knocking me off my perch, not food.... and I've another 4 weeks to go.  But, I'm just being a wimp, some of you have been through far worse.   So Donna, Tina, Lori ... and Amy if you are lurking... I would love to continue.  

Tina, your plan to start a new post-whole30 blog is a good idea - we could follow you there, let's know what it is?  For we are of course all post 30 now.  

Now the cats are pestering me to give them their tea, and work beckons....

Take care all, C x   

YAAAHHHHH   !!   I would have certainly missed your daily notes - ;you lend a lot to my imagination.  as well as ALOT of support !  I started it under

More Changes to come........   Sorry I can't seem to copy a link here.   If someone else can post a link - please feel free to do so.

:D:):P

So happy to see you back Chrissie.

I haven't been able to find your other site Tina. I put in more changes to come and it brings up 20 pages or more of different blogs.  If I can find yours is it under Tina?

I have been doing fine and sounds like you are doing great.

I will check back here to see if anybody else is here and wasn't able to find the other one.

Lori Amy or whoever if you want to go to the new site this is one way.  This shows up on the very top where you would normally see the hhp/ type stuff. I tried it and it went through. Not the first time because I left out com so be sure you have everything in there.  Way up at the top search area type in

forum.whole9life.com/topic/22842-more-changes-to-come/#entry241482 

Let us know here if you are trying  and not able to find it. There is one other way.

Archived