Day 7, first whole30.

chrissie

Day 14 and so far so good. Haveb't heard from you lately Chrissie. Are you just busy or have you hit a rough spot. 

I have had some quick thoughts about eating something off plan or dreaming that I am. I dream I am eating cereal and milk for some reason. I didn't eat a lot of cereal before I started this. I also get a little bored with eating this way. I think I need to branch out with my food choices and find some new things I like.

Would you like to exchange e-mail addresses and we would have a partner in this

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed the posts from you Chrissie and Mac family.  I have been checking every morning and didn't see them until after I posted my last one.  So glad to read everything is going well.

It would be a challenge to do this with little ones running around. I agree with you on the cooking all day. I think it must get easier as we go on and adjust or we will get more efficient.  Tuna fish cakes was one of the new things I fixed that I didn't like, but there were a lot of remarks from people that just love them. Maybe my receipe was not so good.

Hi  I figured out why I wasn't seeing the post. Operator error. I didn't notice there are 2 pages now. Don't worry about the e-mail thing. Since I didn't see a post, I was concerned for you that you may have gone off program. I was hoping I could inspire you to try again, but you are doing fantastic and do not need help. This forum is nice to have to see how others are doing and to know your not alone in this.

I made quiche yesterday. I think my favorite thing I made for breakfast is a sweet potato hash. I put it on top of saute spinich and put a fried egg on top of the hash and avacado on that. It is very good.

For lunch I had two tuna cakes,1/4 sweet potato w/ghee, sliced tomato with avacado and 1/2 sliced apple with a few raspberries.

Hope you all have a good day.

Yum Ginger, I still need to make a quiche. I got burned out on my scrambled eggs with onions, broccoli and cauliflower from week 1 and I've been on a fried egg kick lately. I also loved sweet potato hash! I had deviled eggs the other day which were delicious. I just used the yolks, homemade mayo, and some minced pickles and mustard for the filling, garnished with some paprika. I've never made deviled eggs before and they were quite good. I dipped my carrots in the filling, which was tasty as well!

Finished day 15. I bought the supplies to make my son's first birthday cake this week- funfetti cake mix with homemade frosting and sprinkles. I'm going to make jumbo cupcakes for him to smash and smaller cupcakes for him to take to daycare. I'm not really sure how I will muster the willpower not to eat one! I tried to rationalize a cheat- "how many times does your first baby boy turn 1?" But I know that it wouldn't be worth it. ..... Would it?!

Hello day 22!  OOH lots to answer!  Ginger10, thank you for the offer to be a support buddy... I think that may be necessary when the 30 is over and I try to strrrretch to a 45 or even a sixty; or perhaps when this phase of being a bit jaded is over it will be plain sailing with a zen brain again?   I'm so pleased that you and Mac Family are still going along well too.   I was also making quiche in my head while at work last night (yes, had time to think, ha-ha!)   My pre W30 quiche were always rich with cheese, so I'm not sure if my taste-buds would be upset if they didn't get that; or if the new clean sense of food I am developing would be happy without.  I'll have to make one to find out!   

Mac Family, scotch eggs are a delicious picnic food here in the Uk, but not W30.  They're a boiled egg, wrapped in sausage meat, coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried.   I'm sure there are some recipes around out there that try and emulate them.  My version is really simple and I make about four at a time.  I mix some minced pork (it has to be pork mince - I've tried other minced meat and somehow it's not the same) with a dollop of mashed sweet potato, pepper and salt.   Sage or parsley can be added.  I flatten a handful and wrap it around a shelled boiled egg (wet hands help) until it is completely covered, and still egg shaped, then simply put them on a baking tray and pop them in the oven, medium heat for about half an hour.  I'm sorry I am not a precision cook, ha-ha!    The tuna fish cakes were a recipe I tried off here somewhere too; and Ginger10, I was not too impressed either.   I would rather do ordinary fishcakes with white fish and white potato.  I do like to stick with things I know as far as possible!     And may you have the strength to not sample your little boy's cupcake... You want to be his best mummy, but only you know if it would be worth starting over... (or not!)

My breakfasts are a standard 2 eggs, fried.   I'm getting into the way of cooking more at a time so there are a few days when I don't have to cook from scratch.   Hubby is not doing this with me, so he is getting more processed food on his plate, but he is happy, ha-ha!

I have got some coconut milk in small cans from amazon, so I'm going to try some mild curry recipes.  I'm planning to make some sausage and mash with fried onions and cabbage, a cottage pie, maybe a pork chop with veg over the next few days.     The weather is getting cooler here so out come the old favourites and easily made w30 compliant.  On Sunday I am going to the English Lake District with my daughter and baby grand-daughter for a little overnight get-away... it will be day 28 and 29 and I will be so very challenged - there are many lovely tearooms at the end of lovely walks, full of lovely off plan food that my daughter will be eating!!!   Like you Mac with the birthday cake dilemma.  I know I want to stay on plan, I have rarely successfully committed to anything 'dietary', and this is having such good results for my body I think I would be more disappointed in myself if I allowed a cheat; especially since I think I want to do at least  a 45. though I do keep thinking a lot about cheese and butter! should I finish my 30, have some cheese and then do another 30?  Oh, decisions decisions!   Ah well, time will tell.

Have a lovely day people :) x

Day 15  Well we are all half way through or futher yea. Mac family how fun for your little one to have cake to smash lol.  I bet it turns out to be easier then you think to turn down a bite of the cakes.  I try to remind myself that its such a fleeting pleasure where hanging in with the program is so life altering. Mac family I bought the cook book well fed that whole 30 reccomends, she has a receipe in there for scotch eggs I could send you if you want it.  She has lots of ingrediants in them and they sound pretty good. I like eggs I just find it easier to get in the veggies if I make a dish of some kind. Just curious where do you live?

Are either of you getting the daily e-mails from whole 30 on what to expect each day as far as how you may feel or temptations you may face. Chrissie you know you can have clarified butter or ghee right. It seems the same as butter to me but minis the dairy. If you go on the( can I have forum) and tell them what you had (the milk) and when and ask if you need to add days on to your 30, they will tell you.

Sounds like a nice weekend Chrissie. I agree it sounds a little challenging to go  out to eat.  I don't enjoy ordering  plain in a restaurant. I like to eat things I don't normaly have at home.

WOW scotch eggs sound delightful! (The non compliant kind especially!) I live just outside Boston in the US. I'm from the Chicago area, and I've also lived in Hawaii and South Carolina. I've never been to the UK, but I must say I've been impressed with the way your government is handling the most recent terrorist activity. Your govt seems to have a much better handle on it than ours. But that's a whole other discussion. Ginger where are you from?

I'm not getting the W30 emails. Are they good? I'm just relying on this forum and recipes from paleo blogs.

Have a great time Chrissie! You are so close to the end! I would also like to consider extending this way of eating, however after doing the budget for August this morning and as seeing how much money I spent on groceries, I might have to take a couple months off to save up!!! Plus I just looovveeee fall foods- cinnamon and pumpkin everything. I'm hoping this program helps me regain good habits but still allows me to enjoy those things (just less often!) I'm thinking January 1 for a second round of W30....

Speaking of fall foods- it's in the high 80's here today and I think I'm going to take my son to the pool, but after that I hope to whip up some butternut squash soup sometime this week. I'm ready for cooler temps!

Good Morning!    I do get the daily emails Ginger10, they are a little count-down of the days, and many of them are helpful.   I am going to make this a 45. There, it's out, I'm committed again!   A 45 will then eradicate the milk event that happened on day 12.  I don't think it has had an impact overall, but if I stopped at 30, I would never be sure!    A personal question Ginger10, did you choose your user name because you like ginger or your hair colour?   I only ask because both of my children and two of my grandchildren are red in various hues, beautiful they are!  (I'm biased, of course).  and, yes I do use ghee a bit, though I find it unusual it is not unpleasant.    Mac Family, you have moved around! Being as the UK is such a small place compared to the USA, the furthest I've been from home is a couple of hundred miles, ha-ha!   Home here is in the North East, the county of Northumberland a beautiful place to live.  Thank you for your comment about our government - as you say... 'a whole other topic!'    Are you still on maternity leave as your wee man is just turning a year?  My daughter is due to return to work in October, and is finding the thought of leaving her children again very hard. She is a teacher, and is going to see if she can reduce her hours.   I don't think eating this way has impacted my budget too much because I am not buying rubbish food, wine and subscriptions to diet clubs! 

Anyway, last night I think I got a taste of Tiger Blood, and  'kill all things' a bit late.  Instead of slouching on the couch and going off to bed early as is my usual behaviour after nights, I suddenly found the energy to clean out the oven, and scrub the kitchen floor.  And then that daft man I'm married to came along and said I'd missed a bit. Well, I'm sure it was meant as a joke, but goodness me I blew up!  He nearly got the pail of dirty water over his head along with a few choice words!  :D.    This morning, I feel pretty amazing.    It's a good feeling. I hope it lasts!   How are you both doing? Are there any struggles cropping up?   Do you log anywhere else?    (oh I'm being nosy this morning!)  

Food - eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch and I have found an aubergine festering in the back of the fridge, so I am going to have to find a recipe I can use that up in. Any suggestions?  It is not a plant I use, but I bought it to try. And have ignored it ever since. 

I hope all is well in your worlds, C x

Oh my goodness , my husband caught the same fury from me over a few "trivial" things in the first couple weeks! He has learned to tread lightly when I'm abstaining from chocolate and ice cream!! But that's great you're feeling the Tiger Blood! I have had a few moments of it- I find the house is a bit cleaner and my to-do list is shorter lately. I guess I have more energy to get things done instead of my normal routine of lazy mornings and afternoon naps when the baby sleeps.

I went back to work part time (2 days a week) when my son was 4 months, but we just moved across the country in July, and I just got a new job at an Internal medicine clinic but due to insurance credentialing I can't start until November. I'll be going back 4 days a week. I'm going to work some flu shot clinics later this month and for the month of October, but until then I'll be home with baby boy. I'm trying to enjoy it, although I do get a little stir crazy since we don't have many friends here yet and my family all lives in the Midwest- 500+ miles away!

My husband started out doing the W30 with me, but he only lasted about 6 or 7 days, and by day 10 he was back to his old habit of stopping for donuts on the way to work. I have forbidden him from making pancakes while I'm still on the program- I do love his pancakes- but I had no problem making him a turkey sandwich and eggs and toast this weekend. I don't miss bread or pasta very much at all. My mom is doing the program with me as well, from a distance, and we have been suporting each other through texts and phone calls. However, last week my parents' 2-car garage mysteriously caught on fire and BURNED TO THE GROUND. It was an enormous blaze with about a dozen fire trucks who responded. Thankfully, the garage is detached and the home was ok, no one was hurt, only some siding melted on the main house. But their yard is destroyed (my dad is a landscaper, all his beautiful shrubs and garden are toast), and of course the garage and all it's contents are nothing but ash. Thankfully, during the summer they usually park their cars outside, no neither vehicle was harmed. I gave my mom "permission" to go off the diet and cheat if the stress was too much, but she did ok until they went to a party over the weekend and she had a couple drinks. Now I'm thinking ok she cheated so can't I have a cupcake this week??? I know I don't need it. I'll be better off if I don't. But it's hard knowing I have the "permission" now!! Good news is, the cravings are almost completely gone!

I "hard boiled" some eggs last night- accidentally forgot and left them in the pot of boiling water for over an hour- nearly burned my own house down! So no eggs for me today, just a banana and nuts for breakfast, and I'm not sure what else for lunch.

Glad you have the motivation to stretch to a whole 45 Chrissie!! Now you'll be ending about when I end! My day 30 will be Sept 15!

Oh goodness, your poor mum and dad.  At the end though, the blessing is they are not injured.     I can guess you will have moments of being stir crazy with a little person and not many friends nearby.   That doesn't warrant a cup-cake though.   Though maybe burning a pan of eggs does :) .  Though I'm sure the W30 police won't bang on the door if you do!    I think I am going to cut the aubergine into thick long slices, brush with oil and grill it, then top it with chopped left-over roast chicken cooked off with onion and tomato .... I'll let you know!

Hi  Sorry about what happened to your Mom and Dad. I am sure that was very upsetting. About the daily e-mails they help a little sometimes interesting, but certainly could do this without them. Not sorry I subscribed though.

I live in Reno, Nevada. I have lived in Washington State and California.  I for some reason always hesitate to use my real name on the internet. Ginger is my younger sisters name that passed several years ago. I have in the past used her name for passwords or what ever I needed a name for.  My name is Donna. I have 3 grandchildren with red hair and my mother had red hair. I love it and think it is beautiful.

I think you are right about never being sure if you don't do the whole 35 or 40 Chrissie. I haven't made up my mind about mine.  I have read that a mistake with a little sugar like what would be in salt or carmel coloring is not as big a problem as eating dairy or soy.

Then I wonder if I am using that as a reason not to extend. I think I will see how my thoughts are about sugar on day 30. As of now I still feel like I have not slain the sugar dragon.  How about you two and the sugar dragon? Guess I know how Mac family feels about it. I think that is the hardest one to overcome.

I feel really good but I can't say its tiger blood. I haven't had a angry moment yet although I have before starting whole 30.

I over spent when I first started. Now its only if I buy pasture fed meat and mostly organic veggies. Once I settled down and fixed what was normal for me I did ok.  They tell you if you need to you can do it with regular food so I think not buying packaged foods and other non compliant foods kind of balances the expense out. I hope to kind of continue this way of eating and just try non compliant food and pay attention to how I feel. Then if I choose to have a drink or something sweet I will be aware of what it does to me before I eat it.

I don't know what aubergine is, so can't help you there.

So you are both in the medical field. that's great.  My daughter is a nurse and at the time I had cancer she was an Oncology nurse. I went to her office for chemo and her Doctor. It helps when you have somebody there. She saved my life a couple of times calling 911 for me when I was home. It's strange when you are really sick you don't realize it.  I just thought I was extra tired on those days.

I do a little blogging on the blog( do not need to loose weight-whole30 with medical conditions) A couple of the forum long term members have given me advice.

My 30 ends on the 16th unless I do longer. This is so long I am not going to double check so apologies if there are mistakes.

The aubergine adventure was quite nice, but woke this morning with a bit more pain and stiffness than of late.   Aubergine, like tomato and potato belongs to the nightshade family, so maybe adding it to tomato was a step to afar.  I'm ok with a tomato or a small potato; I probably ate a lot more aubergine.... I'll not bother any more!  

Ginger/Donna, It must have been a blessing for you to have your daughter's skills during your illness.  How lovely to keep your sisters memory this way. 

My son is coming this afternoon to re-tile our kitchenette; that means that I will not be able to access the kitchen to make our evening meal, so oh, woe, we'll have to eat out!   (the things husband will do to get out of washing-up :D)  I am quite confident that there will be either a simple salad or some grilled meat and veggies on offer. 

2 eggs for breakfast and a snatched lunch of roast ham with mayo, and an apple - I'm setting myself up for danger here I think, but trying to prepare the kitchen left me with no time for prepping for me..... an old bad habit putting me at the back of the queue which lead to unhealthy snacking..... I am aware.  I think I'll go pull a handful of nuts out of the freezer, now!

What a treat to get a new floor but darn you have to go out to dinner. lol  In reference to what you said about your food today. I think we all have days like that but being aware like you are and understanding how it makes you feel goes a long way in keeping you from going off plan.

For breakfast I had 2 egg muffin type things that I cut up and sauted in coconut oil with some sausage and saute spinich. For lunch a cup of butternut squash soup, 2 leftover chicken wings, and leftover watermelon and cucumber salad w/mint leaves and lime dressing. For dinner we are having salmon w/mango salsa.  Raw veggies to dip in guacamole. I will have sweet potato and hubby will have scalloped potaoes.  Last nights dinner wasn't so good. Hamburger fried with cabbage, carrots and a lot of spices, but I just didn't care for it. I don't tend to like the scrambles they suggest for a quick dinner in the books. I have been looking at recipies for Paleo desserts to make after whole 30. I probably shouldn't until I stop thinking about it so much. It is probably the sugar dragon raising it's ugly head. I hope that desire for sweets is gone by the 30 days.

Hope you had a nice dinner.

Your yesterday menu sounds lovely, are you feeling any benefit yet?    It must be hard having a sugar dragon... I find it relatively easy to avoid the sweet stuff and don't feel deprived, my weakness is savoury baked stuff.  (The wheat- witch? :o)  This is why I don't think the paleo fake-bakes will help me.     At the end of this I just want to be able to eat normally..... although, the western diet is not normal, is it!   Perhaps I mean; I want to have an occasional treat without it descending back into 'staring at the fridge wondering what can I eat next'.   Now to confess, I fell off my perch last night.  I didn't have starters, wine or dessert, but I did eat some chips (? fries to you), and dipped them in goodness knows what mayonnaise.   My excuse - I was tired and hungry.   This morning I am putting it down to another lesson learned, which is what this is all about at the end of the day.  Interestingly, last night about an hour after we got home, I started with a headache, I could hardly keep my eyes open against the light.  I slept very well but I am still headachy this morning.... I wonder if it was because of 'dirty' food after 3 weeks clean, or just a coincidence!   What ever, it has stiffened my resolve to carry on this way of eating as long as possible.  I am not going to finish the 45 (or 60 now?) and go back to my old ways. 

Today; eggs for breakfast, roast ham and  lots of salad stuff with good dressing for lunch, and a cottage pie with root veg mash topping and buttery (ghee-y) cabbage for dinner; and lots of hard work scrubbing bits of stray flooring adhesive from where it's splattered (everywhere, ha-ha) for my work-out!  I hope everyone's sugar dragons hibernate today.  :) C x 

Chrissie- Well, if you had to slip, fries and "mayo" are probably not the worst thing! Although who knows what was in the mayo, if it was dairy could that have caused your headache? Or maybe excess salt?

Ginger, how great it is to have your daughter as a nurse! Your meals sound delicious. I forgot to pick up squash yesterday for that soup. I guess maybe next week.

I had my first real day of Tiger blood yesterday! I also had my son's first full day of childcare, so I was free to run about town and get errands and things for work done, and I had an iced coffee with coconut milk around lunch time, so that may have contributed to my burst of energy. I was cleaning the house and getting things done until 10pm last night-- I felt like the energizer bunny! I even managed to get in a hair cut, which I desperately needed, and now I really feel like a new woman! I love my son to pieces, but boy was it nice to have a day to myself like that. I don't think I've done that since he was born. And he loved his daycare, didn't cry once and napped like a champ. We are celebrating his birthday today and I've already whipped up his smash cake and cupcakes. Normally I would be tasting the batter and licking the spoon, but I had no problem resisting that. They kind of turned out dumpy looking anyways, but I don't think Anyone will care once they are frosted. I feel like the cravings are gone. Just in the nick of time. I've resolved not to have a cupcake today, and I don't think it will even be hard!

I'm having an awful time with vegetables in the morning. I had 3 scrambled eggs and fruit and nuts for breakfast the last couple days. I'm going to throw a chicken in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I've got a big pan of mashed potatoes that we've been working on all week. I feel like I've got the hang of this, and the key is to keep the meals easy and simple!

Well done Mac Family, and  VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your little boy :)!   You sound really sorted with your eating, I agree simplicity is key, and as you know I've given up trying to have veggies at breakfast and I don't think it is doing me any harm.   Mmmmm, crock-pot chicken & mash sounds yummy right now, but I am waiting for my tea to finish cooking and I know that is going to be yummy and guilt free tooooo!

That's funny I was going to ask you the same thing.  Have you felt any real benefit yet? Do you feel your cloths are fitting differently? I think I have in small ways, my stomach is flatter. I think I was always bloated except first thing in the morning.  I think I have less ache's and pains that we contribute to growing older. I am more regular. Nothing is a glaring improvement but subtle.  I haven't had the big surge in energy. I don't have insomnia but I don't sleep great.  Since the cancer I have been taking  xanax before I go to bed. If I don't, I lay there awake thinking about what I went through and wondering if it will come back. I guess it would be called anxiety.  The improvements I want to see are the allergies going away, sleeping like a baby without meds and surges of energy. I don't have any doubt I am healthier as far as inflammation goes I am just waiting for outward improvements I can see.

I think the headache was from your food and that's good in a sense it shows you what you are sensitive too.

I want to do paleo when I am done with whole 30 and cut out sugar and gluten. I don't intend to as strict as this plan, but only have those things in certain situations and be very aware of how they make me feel. I don't feel like I really crave sugar in the sense that I want to cheat and have some, but I do think about it and like to find ways to sweeten things naturally.  Like with date paste.

A really good book I read along with It starts with food is Grain Brain by David Perlmutter.  he is a renowned Neurologist and has a fellowship in nutrition. According to him sugar and gluten are poison to the brain, causing brain inflammation, dementia, migraines and all kinds of brain problems.  It was very interesting and he tells about some of his patients.

The e-mail we both get had some new (to me) things to read or look at. I like the web site Stupid Easy Paleo.

I enjoy our chats, I hope we can continue after whole 30.

Hi Mac family I think you posted while I was typing so I hadn't read it to comment. Sounds like you had a good day. Don't feel guilty about enjoying it, I think our kids need a break from us also and enjoy socializing.

Great that your sugar cravings have lessened. Chrissie is cottage pie like Shepard's pie and what is a sausage mash. Its sounds good with the cabbage and grilled onions.

The only veggies I can tolerate at breakfast are saute gold bell pepper and spinach put in an omelet or scrambled eggs. Also some baked sweet potato. I am going to make that soup again also. I could eat some every meal.

Congrats on the tiger blood I am hoping it will happen soon.

Have a good day ladies.

Hello!   Yes, cottage pie is like shepherds - just made with minced beef rather than lamb.  There is another local variant called a 'Cumberland pie' that is made with sausage meat as a base, mixed with carrots and onions.... all delicious!    The sausage - mash is actually pork sausages (I think these are breakfast sausages for you) grilled or fried and served on a helping of mashed potato, sitting in a puddle of gravy... but not any more (the gravy, that is)!   Thank you for the tip about the grain brain book, I've ordered it from amazon right now.  My husband's condition is generalised dystonia; a neurological movement disorder.   I think he would find it very hard to give up grain and sugar, eating is difficult fort him as it is, but if there were some good evidence for him that it might alleviate some of his symptoms then perhaps he would try.  I'll be very interested to read it anyhow.    I would like to continue keeping in touch too after this, as we continue with our journey :).  It's funny how same foods have different names even though we are both English speaking nations.   I was puzzled by references to rutabaga until I ,

'googled' it and found it a very common veg over here - the turnip!   'Neeps' mash and haggis is a wonderful Scottish dish; haggis served with mashed white potato and boiled mashed turnip with plenty of salt pepper and butter.   I think us from these northern climes prefer our 'comfort foods' warm and stodgy!!!!!!   off for a bubble bath and then to read a book in bed soon, bliss!    Night-night

Yes Chrissie some of his patients have a movement disorder that disappeared after a few weeks on the diet. Even turrets syndrome.  He may decide it would be worth it if he got well. My husband is waiting to see if I have improvement. I fix shepherds pie with ground beef but you are right I think it started with lamb hence shepherds pie. How do you fix cabbage.

I looked for dystonia and that is what one of his patients had a 23 yr old man. He ate gluten free for a few weeks and the tremors had subsided greatly within 6 months they were completely gone.

After you read it you may find you can try just cutting out gluten and he could still have some sugar until he sees how good he feels and would want to stop it all. Good luck with it.

Wow I've been busy today!   Hospital appointment first thing for hubby's botox shots in his tongue (tames the involuntary movements), then to a supermarket to grab some eggs  - I ran out this morning!   Oh-no despair, only one e-for-b(that's an old advertising campaign - eggs for breakfast).   Then because I was hungry mid morning I grabbed (again - notice a theme developing) a banana.   Then a friend of hubby visited, and I was on duty as interpreter.  We went out for a coffee and lunch and I managed to get a simple ham salad, I had no dressing as there was no olive oil or vinegar, just salad cream available.   I did find a farm shop though, about 10 miles from home , with local grown meat and veg and fresh fresh eggs, so I got really excited by all the fresh produce had a spending spree there   :D!   I have scrubbed the new kitchen floor of residual grout and it is a joy to have a lovely floor again.   Dinner tonight is pan fried courgette and more cottage pie remains and a bit more added fat as I have not had much today.  

How are things changing?

I think I am feeling more energy, I'm not off to bed as early and finding the household jobs not such a chore.   I am certainly not bloating, and IBS symptoms certainly are subsiding, it is a joy to have a calm brain and calm gut.   Not thinking of food all the time is great too, it's quite unbelievable!    My clothes are a better, looser fit.  I am managing to still avoid the scales.  I don't think I have lost loads, but certainly some weight.  it is not hard keeping off the scales surprisingly.  And, getting excited by veg, instead of starch is triple amazing, I used to avoid veg like the plague because they always upset my digestion, but it seems it was not the poor veg to blame, but every wheaty thing plus veg was the poisonous combo!

It's  not long to my trip with my daughter and baby and I feel doubly confident I will cope now  (famous last words, ha-ha)!

I hope all is going well with you my friends,   C xxxxx

Sounds like you both are doing super! It's fascinating how much diet affects neurological function. I'd like to read that book as well.

I have 2 confessions. I had a couple bites of cake at my son's birthday party. It was SO sweet, I think my taste buds have become more sensitive! And I immediately felt sick afterwards. I don't feel badly about it, because we were "in the moment" enjoying him and everyone was covered in cake as he smashed it to pieces, but I definitely am regretting it now because all my old sugar cravings were back with a vengeance today. I'm not going to start over (I'm sure I'll do another w30 in the future, I'll count this as a lesson learned) but I will make a positive effort to avoid sugar from now on, rather than planning on my daily sweet habit. I had no idea how much sugar cravings affected my decisions on what I eat. I also really craved a diet coke this afternoon- I'm sure I wanted the sweet taste.

Second confession- I got on the scale. I know you're not supposed to, I just hoped it would help propel me towards the end if I knew I was losing. I have lost some, but not much. I am noticing my clothes fit looser, and I was able to exchange a new pair of jeans for my pre pregnancy size. However, I won't rest until all my old work pants fit again!

Still avoiding vegetables for breakfast, but I double up at lunch and dinner. The crock pot chicken lasted me half the week, and I've got slow cooker pork to make next. I have no problem eating the exact same thing for a couple meals in a row, whereas my husband gets tired of foods and wants something different each meal. It will be a little easier to finish on my own as he travels for work next week.

I wish I could figure out how to post a photo of my son covered in cake for you all! It was TOO cute!

Ohhh I bet it was cute. If we all exchange e-mails or if we all do FB then we could see pictures. I do FB. I love seeing pics of little kids and really enjoy watching them.  That has gotten more so as I have grown older.  I wasn't that way when I had little ones of my own. 

That reaction to the sugar really shows how fast these bad foods effect us. What do you plan for when you finish whole 30. I want to do 90 percent paleo and just go off on an item or 2 on special occations.  That is after I have done the reintroduction of different food catagories.  which will take a couple of weeks at least. In reality I will probably do 75/25 or 80/20. I hope when I eat off paleo I will not feel good and that will help me stick to it.

As far as confessions go, on the other forum I was on, a couple of high timers came at me about weighing myself when I said I had lost 2 lb in the 8 days and couldn't have that happening, so did they have suggestions not to lose. I got some help but was told not to weigh. I said I wouldn't, but I can't not because if I lose I may not be able to gain it back and eat healthy at the same time before I have to go to my doctor. I had to be sure what I was doing was keeping me from losing.  It is. I have not lost another lb. Yea. I know when I was younger and after having a baby If I heard somebody say that I may of thought (give me a break) but really it can be hard on the other side also. Especially if you want to eat healthy.

I had slow cooker pork last week and it came in handy. I froze some of it so I wouldn't get tired of it, but we had a couple dinners and lunches off it.

I had steak, brussel sprouts, roasted small potatoes, and a mix of raw veggies for dinner. I just had to give my husband a dip for his raw veggies.

I am very lucky as far as being able to buy healthy meats and veggies. I have a Trader Joe's, Costco, and a Whole Foods within 3 miles of where I live.

Whole Foods carries everything you could want in healthy living. They have an old fashion meat counter with pastured meats , fish and poultry. They are just expensive , so I am careful what I buy there.

Chrissie it did sound like a busy day. It sounds awful to get an injection in your tongue. No wonder it would be hard for him to eat. How often does he have to do that.

Have a good day ladies.

Hello day 27!  It's 05:00 and I can't sleep -  I'm not tired, just awake. Not thinking about food either (normally, on a diet I would be fretting, counting, planning how to fit in treats)  no, this morning I think  ''oh, I never responded to Ginger's question how I fixed my cabbage''! So here's the reply; I cheat!   I use frozen chopped white cabbage, and just toss it in a pan for 5 minutes or so with ghee, salt and pepper. Done.   I could never use a whole cabbage up otherwise, and would waste loads.  my other freezer staples to be handy and prevent waste are, cauli, broccoli, chopped prepared onions, sweet peppers and mushrooms.  They are all fresh frozen with no additives and make the w30 so much easier for me. 

Hubby has botox  jabs about every 8 weeks, sometimes his tongue, sometimes his larynx, or his neck, shoulders or L arm,  ... he doesn't look like an ageless frozen celebrity either, ha-ha!   It would be amazing if changing his food could reduce the need. 

Mac Family, what a response to sugar, it's quite scary isn't it!  But now you know.  I bet your baby boy looked edible himself, all covered in mashed cake :D. Did getting on the scale disappoint you or inspire you?   I have managed to avoid the scale by recalling how much the dratted machine would affect my day; as an ex serial dieter, I would be so influenced by those  numbers - up a fraction after being 'good' would throw me into despair ( and I would eat to cheer myself up) or a drop would elate me, and I would probably eat to celebrate.  I cannot believe how dysfunctional I was around food, or that even less than 30 days would change all that.  and all because of the wrong food choices!  

Ginger/Donna, I don't blame you for getting on the scales at all, you have a medical need to stabilise your weight.   And when I began this programme, I remember reading somewhere that medical stuff always overrules 'the rules',  I have a friend with an auto-immune condition and she has trouble maintaining her weight too.   She couldn't do a W30 to see if it would help her as she is not ready to give up her relationship with the wine glass; I cannot preach to her, it's her choice.    We're all grown-ups here!  

I'm not on FB, I tried it but got so swamped with messages, and I've seen colleagues at work almost become stalkers checking up on everyone's' goings on in their rest breaks, it kind of put me off so I cancelled.  I suppose because my family lives very close, I don't feel I need it to keep up with them.   it would be nice to swap emails though, there must be a way to do it privately... I'm not really techno-savvy :(.  My soon to be 4 year old grandson is a little whizz on his (daddies old) I-pad, he could probably teach me!  

Because I'm leaving very early tomorrow morning this may be my last post until day 30, though I might pop back to update this evening.  I'm planning to eat my staple eggs meal 1, salad and scotch egg 2 and even more defrosted remains of something meal 3.  

Take care of yourselves and stay with it!  I hope I can report back that I've been as committed as I hope to be! :)

Archived