Day 7, first whole30.

chrissie

I'm on Facebook! (Amy McNamara). It's a must for us after having lived in 6 states over the past 10 years. It has been a good way to stay in touch with friends and family, although I'm careful not to put too much personal information out there. Ginger, I find some people on this forum give their "high and mighty" advice without knowing the full story nor being appropriately educated about the topic. Someone in the beginning told me over and over to stop eating so much fruit, when in reality on your first whole 30 fruit is ok, especially during the summer when you can get fresh varieties. I think it's good for you to be sure you aren't losing weight with your history of medical conditions.

I guess I was indifferent to the scale. I had lost about 3-4 pounds, when I think my hopes were to drop 10 pounds overnight! I know that's not realistic, but with my son's birthday coming up I think I was anxious to get to my goal. After he's 1 I no longer have the excuse of "I just had a baby". It does motivate me to keep up with my workouts though. Since starting W30 I've slacked a little on exercise.

I like your idea of 75/25 Ginger, or 80/20. I would like to have cream in my coffee and maybe a little Truvia sweetener in coffee and tea. Some mornings I just want a hot bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. But I could easily see myself continuing w30 recipes for lunches and dinners. Some things are quite similar to what we had before, I just cut out the rice and bread, and I don't even miss them. I like some concepts of paleo, but I don't like the weird concoctions people make (paleo pancakes? No. Paleo "cheesecake?" No way. Paleo cookies? Gross.) that's why I never got behind the paleo bandwagon in the first place, but W30 makes so much more sense. If I'm going to eat those things, I want the real version! Full fat, full dairy, real flour and butter. The key I think is to limit them MUCH more, rather than having them on regular basis.

Chrissie, have a GREAT time!!!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is really hard to find somebody on FB because 200 people come up when you put in a name.  BUT I started at the bottom and I think I found you.  Did you recently post something about stichfit. If that is you your little boy is adorable. What a cutie. Not sure if its you so will wait until you confirm before i friend you.

Chrissie it took me a long time to get on FB and for a long time I didn't trust it.  I very seldom post anything so I mostly just like things or share them.  I have been very careful who I friend and unless you friend them they can't read your stuff. I have had a lot of people put out a friend request that I didn't accept. Only way is if somebody likes something you send out then their friends can see it but that's the only thing of yours they can see. You can also private message  somebody so nobody else can read it . I got hooked on FB when I was sick because I could keep up with what was going on with family and friends but I didn't have to talk if I was to tired.  Anyway it doesn't matter to me I can do both and I enjoy both.

Mac family I work out a little. Not like I used to.After I finished treatment I wanted to do something to get back my strength and energy/stamina, so I started going to curves. I figured that would be the least strenuous to start with. After about 6 months I felt I needed more but I have always hated gym"s and never felt comfortable in them.  So I invested in a personal trainer/nutritionist for 9 mo. 2 hours a week with him on weights then an hour of treadmill after the weights. I watched Dr Phil as I walked.

Then I would work out 2 or 3 times a week on my own. It was like having a car payment but I figured I was investing big time in my health. I felt I was a little over weight at that time but according to the scales they put out I was in the ballpark. I was eating amazing amounts of food for me after finishing chemo that I had put on a few pounds. After hardly eating for months I was hungry. Then I leveled out and while working with the trainer I wasn't a big eater.

Anyway I was losing 2 lbs a month working out that much until my oncologist became concerned I was getting to thin. I had to stop working out that much I found eating healthy I wasn't able to eat enough to make up for what I was putting out. Last few months I only work with weights a couple times a week and do Zumba a couple times a week.

I think doing whole 30 I know what to eat to keep from losing if I wanted to start working out more now.

Yes Ginger that's probably me, I'm a big Stitch fix fan! There should be a picture of me holding my son.

I agree a physical trainer is SO worth the money! I worked out with a trainer for about 6 months when my husband was deployed (he is a former Marine), and shortly after my trainer moved away I started half marathon training and got big into running. I don't think I've ever been in better shape than I was then. We were also living in Hawaii at the time, being super active hiking, kayaking, swimming, etc., plus being in a bathing suit every weekend was great motivation to stay in shape! Alas, that was pre- baby, and I'm afraid I will never have the same body again. I'm ok with that, I just want to get down a few more pounds. Problem is, I love to walk and hike, but I really should push myself harder and work up a sweat during my workouts. I know I'm capable of it, I just got lazy I suppose.

That being said, I had a killer workout today, but I had to cut it short because I didn't want to be horribly sore tomorrow. The sugar cravings were much better today. I would love a bowl of cereal or something "snacky" right now, but I can resist. I had an apple with almond butter and that will do.

Making the pulled pork tomorrow. I'm really loving baked sweet potatos with coconut oil and cinnamon, in fact I don't think I'll go back to brown sugar on them! I also add just a couple drops of coconut aminos, and boy they are delicious. I made my quiche today too- eggs, sausage, spices, and spinach. It's ok, but I think I maybe cooked it just a little too long. It has a spongy texture. It's edible though, and made a good post workout snack today.

I will try your way of spicing a sweet potato. i make a spice from the well fed cookbook.  It is so good on sweet potatoes. I like to bake them with the skin on so the flesh doesn't get a crust on it and stays soft , so I don't put anything on when I cook it. Also good on cooked carrots, pan fried plantains, roasted butternut squash.  You can also put a tbl spoon in ground meat to make sausage has 1 1/2 Tbl cinnamon  2 tsp ground marjoram, 1tsp garlic powder 1tsp salt 1/2tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp black pepper  1/4 tsp allspice.  mix together and sprinkle on.  So good.

Wow you really were active. I have a friend who runs in several mile organized runs with her 18 mo old daughter in a running stroller. You could jog or run for fun with your son in a stroller. You can have that body back if you really want it.  It may not seem as important to you as it used to. It just takes time after having a baby and your focus has been on your son for the last year instead of you.

What kind of work out were you doing today?

i sent you a friend request. it will be from Donna Ross. Ignore the pic  6 of us were at Olive garden and everybody got the sample of wine but none of them drink wine. They shoved all the glasses in front of me and my Granddaughter took a pic.  We put it on there for fun but I am ready to change it. My husband has to change it. I don't know how.

We had salad with shredded rotisserie chicken from whole foods on it and lots of veggies. also a cup of the butternut squash soup. 

Its only 7:00 here but after 10:00 there. You are probably in bed.

I keep forgetting to ask you, where was your favorite place to live?

hi Ladies !  I feel like a stalker - but have been reading how supportive you are for each other.  I don't mean to intrude, but wanted to give you all  A HIGH Five - I hope that I can feel like you all do when I'm further into this.  (started 9/4)  I really starting reading this because of Chrissie being in a whole different country and how interesting your life is.

Keep up the good work !

Thank you and good for you doing this for yourself.  You are welcome to join the conversations. How are you doing?

I think the start was really hard for me because I made it hard.  Then I did what Chrissie was doing and ate what I was used to and cut out what I couldn't have. It made it so much easier.

I am on day 21 and I think I see a problem developing that I need to nip in the bud.  I am not as prepared or plan like I was a week or more ago and I am going to find myself with nothing compliant to eat at some meal soon.  I feel like it's neglect or something.  Did you ladies find that to happen as you got close?  I think Chrissie you mentioned not having anything much on hand a time or two.

Mac Family are you going to go straight off or are you going to reintroduce things like they suggest. Maybe you don't have any illness type things to test for to see how you feel.

I hope my allergies go away so I can see if dairy or something else is contributing to them. so far they haven't gone away.

How about you Chrissie did you go off when you reached 30 or are you trying for your 45?  I think being away from home when you reached 30 would make it harder to go for the 45.

my daughter (13) and I have been living Paleo (ok mostly Paleo) for over a year.  I found whole30 through Clothes Make the Girl, and Stupid Easy Paleo.  Another good website for some very yummy recipes is NomNomPaleo.   Any how.... I decided that I needed something else, joint pain, tendon pain, hip gets out of whack...  over all want to improve what I have left for a life. I'm 45, not very active because of all the pains, but do love to camp.  So that is my motivation - to be able to keep up with my 3 yr old grandson when we are camping.  I live in WI, so not much time to enjoy the outdoors and I want to get this extra weight off -and start being happy in my own skin.

I too, (even being so new to this) almost ended up being un-prepared for tomorrow.  I work fulltime- have a café at work but of course nothing that I should be eating.  So I hit my freezer - WAAALLLAA  some frozen pork roast. so some frozen broccoli, and some carrots/cukes I should be fine. I !

You all are so inspiring!!

Well since you have been trying to do paleo for the last year should help you not have as many cravings. You haven't been eating really bad like some people.  I think that may be the reason some people have a lot of problems with the program. It would have been harder for me I am sure if I hadn't been working with the trainer.

I follow those 3 cookbook writers on fb and I like their ideas. I think stupid Easy is my favorite. 

Seems like doing this would be more difficult when you work full time or have a baby like Mac Family. Guess you have to cook double or spend one of your days off shopping and cooking or at least preparing.

I Think you are doing a good thing for yourself. You are to young to have a lot of aches and pains.

Welcome Tina Marie!! How's it going during your week 1? Week 1 was definitely the hardest for me, but now by week 3 it just feels normal. I too was caught a few times when I didn't plan well and was running low on groceries. One night I had "hot dogs" (compliant Applegate sausage), with green beans and strawberries! I've also had eggs once or twice for dinner. Now I know when my bananas and eggs are gone it's time to hit the grocery.

Donna, I LOVED living in Hawaii, but it was awfully far. I think my favorite was South Carolina. We were near the ocean, and we had wonderful friends down there who I miss terribly. Every place has it's ups and downs.

My recent workouts have been "at home" Crossfit style workouts- push-ups, squats, lunges, burpees-- those awful things that are tough but I know help me build strength. I did a Crossfit membership in SC, but we have a free mini exercise gym where we live now so I can't really justify a gym membership. I also run a couple times a week pushing the jogging stroller or letting hubby babysit when I'm lucky. Last night I was going to do a mile run (with the stroller) followed by some push-ups and arm work, but 2 minutes into my run A BEE FLEW INTO MYY SHIRT AND TRIED TO KILL ME. Ok that's a little dramatic, but it did sting me multiple times, which HURT! So that kind of ruined my workout.

Oh and foods- I made more homemade mayo yesterday for chicken salad. It took me two tries to get the mayo right, but the second batch was perfect. My pork is still defrosting, so I'll make that tomorrow. I had eggs over easy with hash browns for breakfast the last 2 mornings- yum!

Donna, does all your family live close? That's a great photo of you on FB! Tina, whereabouts are you in the country? We have both East and West coast represented here, and of course Chrissie "over the pond"!

I think I'm going to gradually ease into other foods like they recommend- I'll try to stick with it, but I'm fairly certain dairy doesn't bother me, so I'll have cream in my coffee and maybe a little sweetener. I do look forward to going out to eat once in a while and not stressing over what to get. But I think I can stick with it at least for most meals.

HI !

I'm in Wisconsin, so now the central states are covered !!   I made the mayo yesterday, I used my food processor, but it was quite a show ~ it was spraying out of the top, cuz it has 2 speeds - high and high ! LOL  I covered it with saran wrap - I will try my blender next time.   and it is really important to go very SLLLLOWWLLLY -  it takes a while to get it all incorporated.  It is very yummy.  I can't wait to branch off of that for some sauces.   I am looking for something to substitute sour cream.. LOVE my dips -  but I guess the mayo can work - they say to use more oil to make it thicker.

I have just discovered - that they are right "stop looking at it as Breakfast, lunch and supper".  I have been eating eggs/egg based meals for breakfast, but have been starving  by 10-1030 am.  So I have been eating another protein with Meal 1,  steak on Sat, more Steak Sun and pork roast today.   and today I managed to go all the way until 11 without dying.  I then had 1 boiled egg/ jicama/carrots/cukes for a mini meal and then ate Meal 2 at 12:45. 

so I think I will start having like - stew or an actual meal instead of thinking of it as breakfast.-   have any of you came across that with your dietary changes ?

The hardest part has been giving up my drinks - not really hard - more I MISS it..  not longingly but ~  we will see at the end, maybe I will have given it up entirely.    Also the dairy - but I'm workin around that.  

Mac Family - sorry to hear about the evil bee !!  I hope that it was not too bad.  baking soda and water paste - works like a charm

Congratulations Chrissie!! Keep up your hard work!!

I'm on Day 7 of my first Whole 30 as well and it's going great too!  Like you, I didn't say anything to my family at first because I'd stopped and started a jillion other programs. I can't remember how I found Whole30 either, but I'm beyond thankful I did!

This is a game changer for me. It's a lot work with the planning and preparation, but that just helps create a foundation for success!!

I wish you all the luck in the world!!

YOU GO GIRL!!

Hi Willis  the planning and prep will get easier as you go along.  It was a major thing for me at first, thankfully I got over that. The whole thing will get easier.

I have only told my Granddaughter about what I am doing. She is really into health and would understand.

Wow Amy I would have quit the workout also. I wonder if it was a killer bee.  I don't think the average bee will sting you over and over. Killer bees are mean.

I had those sausages last night with butternut squash soup and salad.  I enjoy them and they are so easy. You are going to love your coffee again. That has been the hardest for me. Not having my coffee how I like it.

Tina Marie I am wondering if you are getting enough fat as well as protein to keep you full until the next meal. I usually have some avocado with breakfast for some healthy fat.

I tried a couple of the salad dressings from Well Fed cook book and didn't care for them.  I like the creamy avocado one that is in It starts with food. You may like the ones in Well Fed so it can't hurt to try them.

Amy  go to Google Stupid Easy Paleo click on recipes. Then search butternut squash soup. sorry I don't know how to just give you the link.  I tried to copy and past the recipe but it wouldn't let me. Then I add a can of pureed sweet potatoes and I put in a full can of the coconut milk. That's so I will keep up my weight so don't do that if you want to lose. I don't know if that is what makes it taste so good or not. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Hi Amy and Donna, Tina and Willis, I'm home for day 30.   Wow, we've moved a page, excellent!   You all seem to be doing fine with the challenges.  I've had a lovely time, the scenery was amazing, the sun shone - also amazing!   I did struggle with the food a bit; post W30 would have been fine.   My daughter too bashed my ear for an hour while we were driving over; thinking I have been brainwashed by some strange cult, (!) scared that I am afraid to ever eat 'normally' again, and terrified I will get osteoporosis like a certain celebrity who cut out dairy!   In vain did I defend myself that I am eating more healthily now.   Then I get home to email 28 which would have explained it all beautifully!!  I never once mentioned her food choices were doing her no favours - though I really wanted to!   I did manage to stay fairly compliant  but not fully alas.  Breakfasts both mornings were simple - egg bacon mushroom and tomato.  Pass on the fruit juice, toast and cereals.   Lunch was salad or soup. Sunday was a red cabbage and kale slaw with cashew nuts and avocado dressing.   That had to be good, it was on the menu as vegan and gluten free.   It turned out hard to digest though!!!!    Yesterdays' soup was carrot and coriander.   The server didn't know how it was made as they get it brought in, but it was 'home-made'.   I'll bet the veg were sweated off in butter!   Pass on the after coffee carrot cake delicacy!   All the tea rooms exhorting have a slice of cake with your cuppa, to get your energy back from a walk on the fells.... And all the people looking healthy and toned shovelling said cakes and pastries in......     dinner time I ordered beef brisket with veg.   The potato was sooo delicious, it had to have had cream and butter in.  The veg was minuscule, 2 tiny baby carrots and a half cooked  leaf of kale   (it was one of those posh restaurants)!   I avoided even tasting my daughters banana profiterole ice-cream.   Then I think I got will power fatigue. and totally, deliberately and consciously ordered a small glass of wine.   Partially to show my daughter I was not brainwashed and anorexic!!!!!!   Then last night, fixing my husbands' supper, I unconsciously popped a bit of cheese in my mouth. Arrgh!  So I haven't done the W30 to the end properly.   I am a bit disappointed in myself, but not badly so; there are a huge number of lessons I have learned.  And it's nice to be home and in charge of what is going into my food!   I am going to stay compliant today; but then I can't say I am going to do a 45 because I have not done a 'perfect' 30.  But I am not feeling the need to add anything back except maybe butter, and cottage cheese... I'll continue on the template while I consider it and see if anything happens to my body after my indiscretions.  I may start another 30 tomorrow to see if I can improve on how I am feeling physically  - but as I now feel a good 50 instead of 60 yr old, I am very happy :).   I may do as the emails suggest and try a 30 day something different - like trying to do some formal exercise - my husband has a static rower, and I could challenge myself to 15 minutes a day on that for 30 days.  I have always been reluctant to exercise because of the resulting pain and stiffness, but as that is abating, maybe I could.   Anyhow ladies, it does not stop yet!  will I get weighed tomorrow?  I'm not sure. my clothes have loosened - but are not dropping off.  I know this was nor a weight loss programme, so would I be demoralise if I had not lost much?  So many unknowns, such an adventure awaits!   I need to read some of the after W30 logs - but first I have the laundry to do ... back to the real world!  

I'll be back here tomorrow!   :)

chrissie ~   I believe that you have done Wonderfully on this program.  Yes you may have slipped - but you are an inspiration to me and I hope that you continue on your journey.  Don't see it as a failure - but a lesson,  Hope to read more of your experiences.

Tina

Welcome back Chrissie I have missed your post's. Well did you have a good time other then the food issue. I guess we have to remind ourselves our family members and friends worry because they love us. I also think sometimes it's because they need and want to do it and are not at that place in their lives to be able to start. I think it would be great if they would read the book before forming and opinion. I haven't told my best friend for the last reason.

That's one reason you all are so important to me.  Your my support system. I thought it was great Amy's mom was doing this with her. By the way Amy how are your parent's doing?

Chrissie I don't think it was a big relapse or anything.  You were only 2 days from being where you could start reintroducing food. You had already made differences to your body. I think you will still loose weight and if you introduce things slowly maybe you will notice how if effects you.  You just started by introducing alcohol. ha ha I may start there also. If you can stay pretty true to eating this way when home and start a little exercise I think you will see the results you want. In the long run exercise will help with the aches and pains. Two to four pounds a month would be a slow but very healthy and more permanent weight loss.  I am 71 and since working out I have much less stiffness and aches. Stretching is important also. Around the 19th or so e-mail they told about exercising and gave us a web site for yoga. That might be great for you to do. You get a lot of stretching and strengh moves in that.

Amy let us know what you think about the soup.

i complained about my sleep in another post.  I am starting to sleep better.

Tina, thank you  :).  And Donna, you are so wise about family, thank you too!   Stretching is a good idea, and I could do that without going to a class (I don't like to leave hubby more than I already do).

After being in a bit of a panic this morning, I am back to Zen calm.   I will carry on as much as I can W30, but I'll know I am now 'riding my own bike'.  I feel good but maybe can feel better so I don't want to throw it away. Today I was back to eggs for brekkies, a lovely salad lunch with some balsamic vinegar and light olive oil dressing, and I am cooking some carrots turnip and cabbage to have with some simple cooked mince dug out of the freezer later.     I hope your days are simple and easy too.   C x

Welcome back Chrissie! Glad you had a nice trip, and good for you for sticking as close to plan as possible. I've always thought this would be very hard on vacation and especially if you're with someone who is not on the plan! Good for you for sticking with it and doing your best. Yay for day 30!! And you're still eating healthy- that's great!!

Donna, thank you, that recipe looks perfect! I'll have to run out and get a squash- I've never bought one before. My parents are doing better, thank you for asking. My dad owns a Bobcat, and with the help of some of his employees (he's a landscaper) he was able to clear the debris from the garage. They are going to rebuild from scratch. The good news is they get to design a brand new garage however they like it. I've suggested they consider adding a wet bar out back- they already have a pool so it seems like the obvious choice! :) My mom has her own struggles with this program- she works full time, so she has to really plan her meals ahead of time, and she has a pretty active social life and misses having a drink when she goes out. I don't drink so I'm lucky in that sense. But we have both agreed we would like to continue this diet indefinitely, with the exception of our morning coffee concoctions, and she wants her protein shakes back.

Cravings are back today. I think it's because my workouts got harder, and I haven't increased my food enough. I'm really wanting a chocolate bar tonight, or a big bowl of cereal and milk! Only 6 days to go though, I won't give up now. I'm taking photos of my food and posting weekly on social media (Instagram), so that helps me stay accountable. I've had a couple friends ask about what I'm up to already, but no one close enough to provide judgement at least.

Another random thing- I realized I'm sensitive to watermelon. I never would have realized that without this program, but it definitely upsets my stomach when I eat too much. That's so good to know.

I'm only 28, and I just love these chats with you ladies! It's typical for me though- one of my best friends from SC was my 70-year-old neighbor!!

Amy I just had to guess on the size of the squash. I had never bought or cooked one before and the recipe doesn't say how many pounds. They come very small to large. I chose a large one and it worked fine for the amount of spices but then I added the sweet potato puree also. I thing a large would work for you. Isn't it fat and protein that works for cravings? i think it does for me. Have you or Chrissie found a good blog for coming off the whole 30. If either of you do would you give me us the route to it.  If you can. I have been looking but haven't found much.

Lol on the age thing. I am with you I seem to get along well with ladies younger then me and I know others like you who have ladies in their 70's that they consider a close friend.

Glad to hear things are going well for your parents. I used to enjoy having wine or a margarita but I cut way back to once every couple of weeks months ago so it wasn't hard not to drink during this.

I again am with you on the coffee and cream and maybe a little vanilla stevia.  I think an organic heavy cream would work great. It wouldn't have sugar in it like a creamer, but first I am going to try making my own nut milk.  I will let you all know how it turns out.

Good morning all !  

It's day 31.

The first day of the rest of my life.   

I feel a sense of having now got a better control of my health rather than it controlling me.  I know that I am reducing my risk of lifestyle choice illnesses, and that is a pretty good feeling. 

I celebrated this morning with eggs for breakfast, ha-ha!   I do not feel the need to change a thing - not even go out and buy some cheese!   I may in a day or two.  I'll probably add back butter because I'm not totally in love with ghee.   Then I might add sweet little garden peas to my veg repertoire. 

Isn't it great about how when people connect on some level, age is immaterial.  

Donna - day 30 email is a good one for how to proceed, it will be in your inbox soon!    You take 10 days, adding something, waiting a couple of days to see how you react and then trying something else.  

I'm glad your parents are getting sorted Amy, it will be fun redesigning just what they want.   A friend of my daughter's has a terrible kitchen fire last year; no one was hurt but she had a new baby and was understandably shocked and  traumatised.... now she is so delighted with her brand new kitchen it overcomes the bad memories!

it's a busy day for me today, we are getting a new carpet fitted to complement the newly tiled kitchenette.  I'll be going back to work for a rest!   Plenty of compliant food in the fridge so no panics needed.   Protein fibre and fats just waiting to be put into my tummy :).  Last night I was peckish late on so I did apple slices sprinkled with a little salt and had a teaspoon of almond butter to dip them in... I think that will be my treat food of the future!  who needs crisp sandwiches - did I ever used to eat those?   how could I!    (I am not going to say the 'never again' words, they're jinxed, ha-ha)! 

Oh, and before I go tackle the furniture re-arranging, I did get on the bathroom scales and I have reduced by 8 lbs.  For me, that is something amazing, for on all my years on  ''slimming'' plans, I never achieved that in 30 days, just another reason to feel good today  :D :D :D.  

Catch you all tomorrow as you hurry towards your goal-posts!  c x

Hi   Congratulations Chrissie. Good Job.  That is funny having eggs again, but I will probably do the same thing. They stay with me until lunch and I am not going to have cereal for a while if ever. I really want to stay away from gluten and sugar. I wanted to ask you what are crisp sandwiches? I goggled the courgette you said you had one day. I laughed when I saw what it was. I never would have guessed it was zucchini.

I saw your instagram pics Amy and those meals look great. Good way to maybe get a friend interested in doing it. Your little boy is just precious.

I made a cauliflower leek soup tonight and it's not so great. To bland. So now I am cooking some garlic and carrots to add to it. Hopefully it helps.

So how is everybodys weather holding up. We are still in the high 80's low 90's but you can tell fall is very close.

In one post that Melissa wrote she said a lot of people do more then one or several whole 30's. Take a couple of weeks or months off and then do another. Also people do whole 3's or 7's or 14's just to get or keep themselves on track. I like the whole 7 thing as long as I haven't really messed up, but just want to keep good control.

Archived