Day 7, first whole30.

chrissie

Chrissie!! Congratulations!! 8 pounds- WOW!  I'm SO glad to hear of your success and your continued motivation!  And how nice to have new floors in your home as well!  I read something today that described fall (September) as being a new chapter, a new beginning. And it sounds like this is definitely a new chapter for you, and maybe for your house as well :)

I got my It Starts with Food book out to read about post W30 reintroduction but I haven't sat down to read that part yet.  I guess I don't want to get ahead of myself as the last 2 nights have been stressful.  Honestly the only reason I'm still on track is because when I feel intense cravings and I just want to eat the darn chocolate bar, instead I get online and log with you ladies and I'm able to forget about it. My husband is leaving for a long work trip so I suppose I'm just anxious about that. My son and I had a play date with some moms this afternoon but I still haven't made any "in case of emergency" friends. In fact, when I signed my son up for daycare I had to leave that part of his paperwork blank!  I have some things planned, so we will hopefully stay busy while my husband is gone, but I think it will be harder to stay on track for the last few days without someone here looking over my shoulder.  

Today I wore the jeans I bought in one size down and they were falling off my hips by the end of the day.  I'm not sure if that's because they run big, they stretched out, or what but I wish I would have gotten another size down!  Yay!  I've got another pair of "skinny" jeans that I've been saving for "one day when these fit me again"-- the real test will be if they fit after this is over.  I'm still trying to avoid the scale until day 31.  

We had Chipotle tonight, which was glorious.  I love not having to cook/clean up.  I got a salad with steak, guacamole, and pico de gallo.  I realized that the steak was technically non compliant because of the oil they use, but ya know what?  It was either Chipotle or pizza, and I was sick of pulled pork because we've been eating it all week at home, and I think I chose well.  ;)

Chrissie I was also wondering what is a crisp sandwich??  

By the way- I LOVE the idea of a Whole 7 in the future, and would love to even incorporate that as a monthly routine.  7 days seems like nothing now compared to 30!  And it would be a good quick "detox" to incorporate a few times during the holidays.  

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning friends; and my respects to you all in America for todays date - it must still have hard memories for some of you. 

Crisp sandwiches... I think our crisps are your potato chips ( if our chips are your fries),  if they are intensely flavoured thin slices of very crispy potato eaten as a snack... slapped between 2 buttered slices of fluffy white bread.    The unhealthiest thing you cold ever eat apart from the Scottish 'delicacy' of deep fried mars-bar , where the sweet is dipped in a batter and deep-fried!   Never tried that, nor do I wish to, so there is some hope! 

I tried a piece of cheese last night, and wondered what I thought I had been missing!  It may be better cooked in an omelette, but I'm not so sure I need it in my life any more. Otherwise yesterday I stayed compliant, though I was still wondering whether or not to do another 30 on the trot as I was a bit achey this morning,  but I had been gardening yesterday, and stooping lots. Though I have a holiday planned in the beginning of October with hubby, on an island in Scotland, so being on another 30 then would be really difficult.    The W7 once a month is a great idea, to keep focussed.  Oh, I'm just going to be very careful about what I eat, stick with the template as best I can and then after the holiday decide.  As Melissa says, it is ok to stay whole 30 unless a food comes along which really really needs to be eaten - then eat it consciously and with enjoyment!

Amy, you made the best choice you could, well done!   and you will get through your last few days without your husband there, because we're here.   Although I can understand your anxiety being alone with your little one with no-one near to fall back on; that is very challenging.   Have you tried apple or banana with nut butter if you are really craving something sweet?  I'll pm you, and then you can have my e-mail  for keeping in touch if we ever get off these boards.  

It's nice being able to talk food with others who understand, even if half of what we are eating has different names  :lol:

I'm back to work tonight for 4 nights, so I'm off to grocery shop soon; I don't think there will be anything going into my basket that has not been there for the past 30 days.... I'll let you know!  

Thank you Chrissie, today is an emotional day for us. Even though it was 13 years ago and I was only a teenager at the time, 9/11 deeply impacted the kind of person I grew up to be and the world we live in today. It still stings every year. However, we remember, and we go on, because that is what we do.

Crisp sandwiches- wow! Sounds interesting! I've heard of people putting chips (our crisps) on turkey sandwiches and even peanut butter and jelly, but never just plain with white bread!! One thing I'm noticing I don't really miss - convenient quick lunches- grilled cheese, pb&j, etc which were staples of my diet before. I'd much rather have chicken salad or some leftovers from the night before. I'm not going to slip into the habit of feeding my son those things either. I do give him bread and grains, but only for 1 or 2 of his meals and in moderation, and when I can I just give him what I'm eating and he loves it. He loved the egg sausage and spinach quiche, and I was thrilled to feed him as much of that as he wants!

Off to the store today too- I need a butternut squash and some bananas, and I would like to make another batch of chicken salad! I have had apple with almond butter and it's delicious, and last night when I was craving something sweet I had a couple dried apricots and they were perfect. Usually I have a bowl of banana, blueberries, nuts, raisins, and coconut flakes in the evenings when I'm hungry, but I'm running low on nuts and the blueberries' price went up last time I went to the store.

I read in the book tips on how to deal with naysayers and people who try to discredit this way of eating- "lead by silent example", and when they are ready they will come to you. Excellent advice.

Thank you for your kind words Chrissie. Amy said it perfectly.  Amy is your hubby still in the service or reserves? How long will he be gone? It would be very hard to have him gone when you haven't had time to form a close friendship with somebody.  I think it would be difficult to move and have to start over with relationships all the time. Have you gotten used to it. Is this where your going to stay or will his job require you to relocate sometimes.

I think some of the cravings may be the sugar dragon rearing its head one last time. Amy your snack sounds good I will have to try that. What do you put in your chicken salad.

I am getting close and I had a dream last night very similar to yours  Chrissie. I very calmly ate brownies and sweetend coffee and didn't think a thing about it.  Then I remembered I wasn't supposed to be eating this and felt terrible that I had ruined my whole 30 right at the end.

I think I would have known what crisps were but the sandwich part threw me off.

There are probably things we all will discover do not taste as good as we remember them. Like your cheese Chrissie. I hope so anyway it will help me stay away from them. Have a good day.

Amy I bet you have lost several pounds also. I think your thought on doing one 7 a month sounds perfect and Melissa suggests doing a whole 3  just before a vacation and then evaluate everything your going to eat on your vacation that's off the program. Just to be sure you feel it's really worth it and how it may make you feel. If it's a go then just enjoy it with no guilt.

hi ladies !

I just love reading what everyone is writing about... I am sad that you all are so close to the end of your 30 and I am only beginning. 

Amy - suggestion for the craving - have you tried to make banana ice cream ? I made it the other day cuz I wanted either a ice cold can of Coke or ice cream.

You put frozen banana's cut up (as many as you want I do 2 at a time) and a little coconut  milk - just enough to help make it smoother.  in processor and blend !  It is a sweet yummy treat.  Before W30 I took out some and then added Nutela to the rest.  Now I ate it plain, daughter had hers with Nutela.

I made it today without starving in between meals  Had my 3 meals and no mini's today.  That felt good.  But hoping that I am not eating too much.  BUT I am not stuffed when I am done -and am trying to listen to my body when it says ENOUGH.

I love squash soup - I made it a lot prior to W30, with either veggie stock or chicken stock,  Curry is really yummy to add to it. (I didn't check out your recipe) I used my stick blender to blend it all up into a creamy yumminess.  I will add coconut milk this time around, and then it will be really creamy ! PPPSSS  it freezes well - I would freeze it without the milk though

9/11 - my baby was just a few weeks old, my oldest 7.  That was a hard day to explain to a 7 yr.  I hate to say it -but I don't think there is as much rememberence today as there has been in the past.  Maybe just because I was at work all day - stuck in my little cubie world.

I think I am sleeping better, and waking up easier. 

I have looked in the yoga class that I want to start, am waiting on the instructor to call me back  Not sure if I have to wait for a new class or jump into the middle of a class already in process.

I could keep writing - but I will reel it in !

Can't wait to read all your posts !

T

Hello all,

You are all doing fine, Tina, I doubt any of us will be leaving this post soon, it is a great support!  

Day 3 post 30; and 2nd day of nothing added back.  I had a little digestive discomfort overnight, was it the cheese or just coincidence?   I may get these 4 nights over then try again with a little something.  I really am not screamingly needing anything. I have found a supermarket that sells clarified butter rather than ghee; it is much nicer in my opinion.  I slept amazingly well today, but last night had been very busy. It's the tail end of a full moon, and there was some lunar madness going on!   I'm a little mad too - I did the famous going upstairs for laundry but forgetting what I wanted when I got there, so had to come back down to remember and go up again, duh!  :rolleyes:.   But - I realised after, I actually ran back up the stairs, wow!!!  Big victory for me.  

Food wise I have made a pan of soup, and a base stock for more stuff, roast chicken thighs and roast veggies.   It is autumnal here,(fall to you ladies) and there are many lovely veg to munch on. There doesn't seem any need yet to eat off plan!   Donna, have you recovered from your dream feast yet, ha-ha!    Have you had any dreams yet Amy, you are so near the end now?   Tina - you know what is to come! :) 

Butternut squash soup was a success! As a bonus- I saved some of the roasted squash cubes for my son to eat. He doesn't like to be spoon fed, he wants to feed himself, and he loved the squash. I love having new veggies for him to try. The whole process was messy because I don't have an immersion blender, but I loved how it made my house smell like fall. The banana ice cream sounds divine! Donna, for chicken salad I just cube up chicken and add some celery, with either apple, grapes, or raisins and homemade mayo, then put a big scoop on some romaine and top with grated carrots or sunflower seeds. Today I paired it with a cup of soup- perfection.

Dreams- I had a dream that my mother cheated- she drank a big glass of wine and some bread right in front of me! No dreams about me cheating yet though, in fact I'm not dreaming much at all, just sleeping like a rock. I haven't slept this well all summer.

Chrissie- you sound like me at week one! I had serious brain fog in the beginning, now I'm feeling much sharper. Yikes to the full moon- it's never good to go into a 4 shift stretch on a full moon!! Do you work in emergency or a hospital setting? I spent 5 years working medical- surgical floor nursing, so I feel your pain!

Tina Marie- I used to get starving between meals. I still get hungry around 4 each day when dinner isn't until 6. I find when I eat more fat I'm not as hungry. I had to increase my portion sizes in general as well- I wasn't eating enough in the beginning.

Well, the baby just dumped my leftover (cold) coffee on the white carpet, and now he's playing on the dog's bed. I suppose I better have my running shoes on today to keep up with him!! And good news- more play dates are scheduled for next week, and I'm able to take him to daycare twice so I can do someone training and run errands, so that will help the time go by. Husband is gone for 10 long days. It's nothing compared to the 6-7 month deployments we went through, but it's definitely different with a baby and a minimal social life here.

Ok, now he is getting into my pots and pans- better run! Haha

Well, last night at work I, who didn't want to eat any different - did.  The supper I has taken did not travel well and had somehow congealed into something unappealing and I couldn't eat it . Yikes!  I used to eat any old rubbish regardless of how it tasted.   So all I had to sustain me in the madhouse (acute medical/care of the elderly ) was my soup and an apple.  There had been a party at work and the staff room was full of cake, sweets and scones  - now I've just googled scone and find our version is apparently more like an American baking powder biscuit.   These ones were flavoured with cheese.  And after careful deliberation, and because I remembered I could, in the interests of an experiment  - and because I was feeling deprived over the lack of sustenance on a 12 hour shift ( I know, I'm rambling...) I warmed one, buttered it and ate it with my soup.  Very slowly. I enjoyed it.  But not to the point of ' I must have one every day in my life'. So now there is a cheese and wheat combo for my body to deal with. There's  little increased ache and stiffness in my fingers today, I have not slept very well and there are certainly some rumblings in the tummy.  Good. in a perverse way, I am glad I did this because it proves that such products are not going to enhance my life.  This W30 certainly is not over at day 30; it's like it is just another beginning! 

Eating more fat is so counter-logical with the nutrition wisdom we are thrown, although we are getting the message here to cut back on sugars, but it really really does help with satisfaction.   The chicken salad sound very lovely, I must try that.  

I am laughing at the antics of your little boy Amy, he'll keep you fit and entertained when daddy is away.   I had my two within 16 months, and oh, the bliss of bed-time!   (theirs I mean! ) 

May the good food be easy for you all today.  And for me!     :)

It's not even 9am and he's already unplugged my hard drive from my computer, splashed in the dog's water bowl, and now I hear him tearing pages of a book. Why is it that babies are so interested in everything but their own toys??? I love him to death though.

Good for you Chrissie, that sounds like the right attitude. I remember when I worked 12 hour shifts my resolve would weaken throughout the day. By 3 or 4 pm I'd be in the hospital gift shop grabbing some candy or a soda. At my new job I won't have a gift shop, but I'm hoping to have my own mini fridge so I can pack lots of good healthy foods for the week. There are 2 donut shops right on the way to work, one with a drive through. (not good.). I'll just have to turn on blinders and forget they exist.

Day 28, only 2.5 days to go. I really don't think my diet will change much, but I am looking forward to a pumpkin spice latte on Tuesday.

made it to Day 10 !   I'm at work today, so I have my lunch and no chance of snacking - as I hear these next days may be tough.  However I don't feel like I am on track for the timeline, but as I have been reading other peoples post I see that everyone gets affected differently.  Some don't get the symptoms for days after what the time line suggested.   I know - I know - patience !!!

Good for you Chrissie - a great way to experiment.  Not a large quantity of the food.... helps to narrow down the cause for any symptoms.

Gotta love the little ones !! my daughter liked to play with the pots and pans and the Tupperware.  So I had all those items in the bottom cabinets so she could pull them out when she wanted to play with them.  My oldest daughter is more intense about things laying about, and when my grandson pulls everything out - she is right behind him putting it away.  Makes me giggle.   My thought - pick your battles !!   

At this moment - the only thing I am missing is using Miracle Whip ( salad dressing - Chrissie - not sure if you have it there) and ketchup and bbq sauce.  I will try my hand at making homemade ketchup, & bbq,  - we will see how that works out !    I almost ate the taco meat that I had made for my daughter - I had made tacos and then took some out and added taco sauce to hers (to be saucy).  I realized it after I had set it in the microwave.   So I just used my roast beef instead.

I would like a nice piece of Gouda cheese - however.   In October, my friends and I have our Annual Trip to the Wine Country for Cheese and Wine tasting - all day... with a lunch - and probably more wine !    I will be selective - this is our 4th yr so I know what I like and will only sample those - instead of AALLLL the wines !  Not sure if I can resist the cheeses however. I think that week I will reintroduce cheese - so I can know before hand how it is going to affect me.  Don't want a gurgly stomach on a road trip !

Have a good day everyone !

You are doing so good Chrissie. I hope I do as well.  My husband wants to go out for Mexican. I am going to try to put that off for a while.  My grandson is coming home from the Navy for a visit before he deploys .He likes to come over here for pizza and visit when he is home on leave. He likes the same kind we do where as his parents like another place and kind.  I will do a couple of pieces of that so that will be my wheat add on.  He will be home a week from monday.

I will start this Wednesday with dairy.  Cream and a drop or two of vanilla stevia in my coffee. I want to try my favorite greek lemon yogurt but it has like 9 sugars in it, and I don't want that much sugar.

Thanks for the chicken salad recipe Amy. I know it sounds strange at my age but I have never made chicken salad. I am glad the you liked the soup. I love to have a cup of soup with whatever I am having for lunch.

Tina the time will go faster then you think.  You are almost 1/2 way and then it's all down hill. You may not have the symptoms come up because you didn't eat that poorly before.

You were talking a couple posts back about the full moon. I retired 2 1/2 years ago from the Sheriff's office. I worked in booking for several years and on full moon nights all the crazies would get arrested. It was amazing and always happened.

I made the almond milk and it was surprisingly good. It is so much better in my coffee then coconut milk.  I always used and liked the carton almond milk but they talk about how bad some of the ingredients are for you, so I don't think I will go back to it. I just wonder how much calcium is in the home made. There was over 40 percent more calcium in the carton almond milk then in regular milk.  I need to figure out how much calcium I am getting on paleo. I was getting a lot before because I would drink 3 or 4 cartons before by myself.

Good morning all! It's day 29! Donna, are we a day apart? Monday is my day 30. I caught myself thinking yesterday "it's so close, I may as well go off plan now..." But no, I resisted. My son and I went to an arts festival in town where they were selling famous apple crisp bowls. It looked delicious. I realize now how conscious I am of making decisions on food, whereas before I wouldn't have thought twice about getting a bowl and sharing it with my son.

Tina, great job, you're almost halfway! I remember around day 16 it really changed for me, and stopped being as hard. I was still feeling sluggish the 3rd week, but the food was easier and choices were easy.

This week has been amazing- I've felt the "Tiger blood" I guess- I did not say anything because I wasn't sure it would last. But the last 3 days I have felt awesome. This morning not so much, but it's because I stayed up way too late watching Netflix. I snacked on almonds and dried apricots when I got hungry.

The temps are cooling down here. Dipped into the 40's last night, high of 70 during the day. I'm loving it. I'm going to make a big pot of chili for my re intro. I make it every fall, and always make enough to freeze. My mother's recipe uses a little brown sugar, and I think I'll just cut it in half. Or maybe omit completely. I usually enjoy chili over pasta or rice and covered in cheese, but I'll wait on that and just eat it plain. On Tuesday the only other thing I'll really want is a latte.

Still enjoying my chicken salad and soup at lunch, and we finally finished off what was left of the pork roast. I'm a little sick of pork right now! I'm also still loving hash browns with my fried eggs in the morning. It's so easy and delicious.

Donna, that's a good question about almond milk. I would imagine your home made variety would be rich in calcium, since dry almonds are such a good source of calcium. Green leafy veggies and fish are also good sources. When I was pregnant and breastfeeding I used to buy dark chocolate flavored almond milk to supplement my calcium, and it was delicious. My mom even warms it up and adds a couple marshmallows as a treat sometimes.

Alright that's enough rambling for now- happy Sunday to you all!

I spoke to quickly. My day will be Wednesday since Tuesday is my 30. I know what you mean I have had the same thoughts of I am so close what difference  is a little of this or that going to make, but I have resisted. Good for you on the apple crisp bowl. 

Do you shred your own potatoes for the hash browns or are there compliant frozen ones.  They sound good but also seem like a lot of work first thing in the morning.

When I cooked a big pork roast I pulled it and froze it in serving sizes. I tend to get sick of things if I have to eat it too often. The soup is an exception.

I still haven't felt any tiger blood and maybe I won't. Just before I made the almond milk I had two days free of allergies without using any of the daily sprays and what not. Just a generic allergy pill in the morning. If I go a week without problems I will cut out the pill.  I have already cut down to one a day from two. I didn't say anything to see if it was going to continue. After drinking the almond milk it came back so then I didn't know if it was connected. I kind of doubt it because I've only been drinking the milk for a couple of years and I've had the allergies for 30 years.

Even though it's back it is a little improved from before so there is still hope.

I don't know if I would have done as well as I have without you ladies to follow. It has been a big help.  Good for you Chrissie starting a new blog and just putting your message out there for us to find.

I'm stumbling along my friends; this off plan freedom is quite scary as the brain starts playing tricks of the 'this won't hurt' variety!   Last night I had a lovely supper to take to work - I have tried nutritional yeast as a cheesy flavoured seasoning, I put some in a quiche style recipe with coconut milk, bacon onion and mushroom and found it very tasty.  So I had that with salad.   I had some soup to have for early morning munchies, but yet again in the staff room were heaps of goodies.  I chose my poison carefully, with my tired brain whispering 'it would be ok, I had to try things out'.  So I had a cheese savoury sandwich.   Now this is food produced in a hospital kitchen so it has to be 'good' for people right?  That is the way my thoughts rationalised it, even though I have suspected wheat was my  downfall food health-wise, and I didn't feel 100% after the scone.   Anyhow, I ingested it.  and really within half an hour felt dreadful, my heart felt it was racing, I felt heavy  and almost flu-like.   I've had my sleep, and have woken with post-nasal drip back.    Of course I have made the error of combining two potential irritants here two days running, wheat and cheese again :wacko: .  I am having worry thoughts about my weight too, can I carry on eating fat and still continue to reduce my weight (the answer is of course), and should I go back to WW!!! EEK, somebody  slap me quick!

So now I know.    Tomorrow I am going to start a ''7'' to get this junk out of my system.  I want to feel bright again, although I don't foresee myself eating any food nasties today. ....   there is a psychological gain by having a specific day to start.   

I hope you are managing your last day Amy, and the lure of the donut shop doesn't derail you.... not many hours now and you will be able to make the choice!   Enjoy the tiger-blood!!!   Donna, I am  not sure homemade almond milk doesn't have a lot of calcium, but when you add that to other calcium rich foods it should be ok.  I understand your need to get your nutrition just right.   It is great your allergies are subsiding!   My hubby is still a bit amazed by 'grain brain' - and had not read past the introduction where dystonia gets a mention.   He needs to process the fact that food may impact on his health before deciding it is worth trying I suppose.  

Thanks for clarifying miracle whip Tina; I would have thought that was some kind of dessert otherwise, ha-ha!    Donna, I am sure  you will cope with re-entering the eating world too, it is not a linear path as I am finding out for sure!   I'm not going to do anymore posting anywhere else, I get too confused, I'll just stay here as long as we are needing support!  I was just adding my thoughts to the finishing W30 success page.  

Today, as a reward for myself for learning so much about how I eat  (and how to eat) I have bought a new handbag - I think that is purse to you on the other side of the planet (and our purses are your wallets, right? :))   I find when I'm out with my man I end up carrying his stuff too, so maybe he can contribute half the price, hee-hee!  It will cheer up my winter wardrobe no end.  I have a perfectly serviceable bag, but, I do rather like handbags, it's my little luxury! The ones that fall out of favour get donated to a thrift shop so it's not a completely selfish buy (ooh hark at me trying to justify my spending :D :D) Last shift at work tonight, I think the way my body is feeling put out I will be able to turn my nose up at any temptations.  It's funny how things we consider treats are actually doing us no favours at all health-wise!  Got to remember we cannot fix years of bad eating in just 30 days, though Amy, you are so much younger you won't have as many bad habits, ha-ha!   Tina, what are you hoping to achieve?  

O.K., I'm rambling now too, think l have to get ready for work.   Have lovely days all, x

That was a silly question I asked about compliant frozen potatoes.  Of course there are. I just didn't think about it.  When I started this they said no white potatoes and half way through they changed it.  I used to buy potatoes O Brian but had the mind set that I couldn't eat them now.  They may be compliant now I will have to check. If not I will get the hash browns.

I can understand what your going through Chrissie I am already stumbling around in my head about what I will introduce and I am not even there yet. I think it's good your body is telling you so clearly what it doesn't need. Kind of scary to have it cause your heart to race.

Yes it is a purse but we also call it a handbag. A wallet is always a wallet unless it just holds money. Then it's a coin purse. lol :lol:

Good for you Chrissie !!! I have a handbag fetish my self - I must be up to almost 25  - some are very well worn but I love them and can't dispose of them yet.   I'm sorry that you are feeling yucky - but it is all part of the reintro - right ?  So you KNOW what to stay away from and what you can tolerate. I hope that I can do as well as you.  I keep reading about nutritional yeast - what is that exactly ??   There is a vegan cooking show where they use it a lot but I don't get what the benefit is ?

Amy ~  you are right about being more aware of the food going in your mouth... Good for you to have the will power ! Funnel cakes were always my down fall when going to festivals or fairs.

Donna - I too drank almond milk - I have been buying raw milk for me and the girls while they were younger -but transitioned to Almond. Diamond brand was my favorite - but it has the "carrageen?" spelling? in it.  So I got Silk for my daughter (I don't like the after flavor of it and it has sugar)  I am looking forward to your opinion of the homemade version.  I saw that you can get nut milk bag on Amazon.

So I must be saving some calories from going down my gullet.  I was making my daughter a omelet with maple syrup/brown sugar ham.  ALMOST put a piece in my mouth. It smelled so good.  Then I remembered... added sugar. No bacon for me either. <_<  so sneaking extras ! 

M1 was eggs over another sw potato hash.  ate around 730- 8 and am still not hungry - so I think I am just going to listen and see when my good ole bod tells me when to feed it.

Not sure what the other meals will be.  the Pad Thai out of Well Fed, but instead of chicken, will use pork loin. I will then use the pork loin for another meal/lunches.  It is really good marinated in cumin, coriander, curry, garlic and some oj, pineapple or apple juice.  Which I think is compliant.

Also going to make shephards pie - I guess it is Cottage pie because I will be using hamburger - not lamb. Chrissie - I think you made this a little bit ago

1 NSV -  I was able to drink white/green tea infusion with NO SUGAR-  maybe I'm starting to beat the sugar dragon ??  I drank it warm this morning - and then when it cooled off - poured it over ice, added a little lemon and it is totally drink able.

Made another batch of mayo - this time used apple cider vinegar instead of lemon. We will see how it goes.  had to use some EVOO cuz I only had 1 cup of the extra light left.  Made it in the blender this time - way less mess. 

I thought I could make the sunshine sauce - but my rice vinegar is seasoned. and my almond butter has some evaporated cane syrup in it... so no Sunshine today. :wacko:  I worked yesterday and I don't have the time to go to the store today - have too much to catch up on. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend

Tina I thought the almond milk turned out pretty good.  I liked the Blue Diamond brand also. I miss it but the homemade will do fine.I am making more tonight. I have a milk frother and I froth the milk before I put it in the coffee. The carton milk would froth up big like at Starbucks. The home made froths a little.

I bought the nut bag on Amazon.  Did you like the Pad Thai from Well Fed? I do enjoy the sweet potato hash in the mornings also.

Have any of you bought food or condiments you heard about from the site or cookbook sites, and did you find anything good that has helped you in the journey?

I bought Tessamae's  salad dressing , wing sauce and bq sauce. They are good but a little pricey. I like Lara bars.  Are there any other compliant bars you know of?   I have been drinking Bullet Proof coffee, but was not impressed and will not continue.  I found a loose leaf tea store in town because my tea bags from the store had soy lecithin in them.

Chrissie I an\m happy to hear your husband has looked at the book a little.   The introduction says a lot.

I did not make the Pad Thai - couldn't make the sunshine sauce, stopping at the store tomorrow where I can buy some almond or sunflower butter, and rice vinegar without the sugar.

I did make the shephards pie - with a few modifications.  I used the cube steak from the other nights cooking, tomato sauce instead of paste ( I like my pie with more sauce and I was out of past)  I also used the leftover coconut milk mixture from making the mashed cauliflower.  It was very yummy and my daughter gave her stamp of approval !  I've been making shephards pie for a long time and she thought it was just as good as my original recipe.

I have given up coffee too. Honestly I only liked it because of the cream and sugar - so if I can't have that.. why bother.  Matter of fact since starting this, I had some coffee beans in the cupboard and the smell was noxious ! There was only a little bit left - but I tossed them.  There has been no "want" for coffee. So happy that is not a demon I have to battle !

I have not bought any sauces - like you mentioned they can get pricey.  I did get the coconut aminos.  I do miss dipping into ketchup or what not - but have not had any fries so I guess I don't need the ketchup !!   I did put chipotle mayo on my burger the other night along with homemade onion dip.  and that was good.

I used mayo instead of sour cream and my dip turned out just fine ! Have been using balsamic vinegar, olive oil and lemon on my salads.

I will have to look at my tea bags... I don't thing the green/white infused tea had it - but can't be for certain.

I haven't really tried any recipes elsewhere - but I like www.NomNomPaleo.com  she has a lot of good suggestions.  I love reading her Blog - she is also a night nurse -or a swing shift nurse - so she lives the life too. Another good website is www.thepaleomom.com she has auto immune disease and blogs about her family's struggles.  also good recipes.

Ran into a problem this morning -  bad planning.   I have an apt right after work tonight, for my daughter to get her hair done.  So will not have time for dinner, until probably 8:30.  Ran out of veggies - ...  argh. So I cut up the pork loin, and had 1 carrot left, cauliflower and celery. so that will have to be my M3.  and I should be fine.

M1  - (no hash !)  only had spaghetti squash and a handful of spinach w/ 2 eggs. (wasn't the best combination - but I got it down !)

M2  - will be yesterday's shepherd pie w/ asparagus.

I just don't want to put my self in the position of starving and then just eating something instead of what is good for me.

I slept terrible last night - the cat would not leave me alone - and then daughter had a nightmare and she ended up in bed w/ me too ! Woke up w/ stiff joints, and muscle aches. But I still managed to wake up pretty good, once I heard the alarm.  Usually I would lay there and not be able to get up and then be foggy brained for atleast a 1/2 hr.  I have not had to lay back down on the couch to "rest a bit" !

Tina I didn't try the nomnompaleo recipe for Pad Thai.  I used the one from Well Fed.  We didn't care for it.  I will check out the nomnom one.

I think we have all hit a spot at one time where we had not planned well enough and didn't have much choice on what to eat.

I hear you on the coffee but I have been drinking it anyway. It has improved a little with the almond milk, but am still looking forward to a little stevia.

Your shephards pie sounds good.  I haven't put tomato sauce in it (or paste) before. I think it would be good that way. In the past I have put canned beef gravy, I take it you do not.  It would be healthier without.

Well Fed has a recipe for ketchup.

Amy are you making your own pumpkin spice latte or is it from Starbucks.  I am curios to see if it taste like you expect it to.

Hello. just popping in to see you are all ok :),  I'm very sleep deprived but eating ok again, phew!  I've tried my poison and found it wanting, found my body didn't like it, that makes me happy.    One or two stresses with family today but it is not making me want to comfort eat. That is good!  I'm off to have a very early night, so sleep tight to you all, may your food nurture your souls!  C x

OMG - we are having pizza party today - a Thank you from the higher powers that be- and it smells INSANE :rolleyes:

I know it is not good for me - so I'm not stressing about it - not craving it - it just smells so darn good - and of course it is set up right by my desk .

Be Strong - Be Strong  Be- strong :D

Be strong Tina!!! Pizza is one of my very favorite foods. My husband and I would eat it at least once a week before W30.

Chrissie, good for you for recognizing the temptations and deciding to curb them with a whole 7! I know how hard it is to resist goodies when you're sleep deprived and going a little crazy at the end of a 4 day stretch. I used to just inhale food after working 12+ hours and plop on the couch. I have nurse friends who run after work. How they do that After being on their feet all day and "running" down the hall as room 303 sets his bed alarm off for the 34th time that day- I don't understand.

I'm going to get a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte tomorrow. I am interested to see if it tastes overly sweet. I tried making my own pumpkin spice coffee with coconut milk, but it didn't turn out great. I've just been drinking my coffee with coconut milk, which I actually enjoy. Donna, I buy the Alexia brand hashed browns in the frozen section. They are just potatoes, spices, and autolyzed yeast extract, which I looked up and it said it was ok. They are delicious.

I'm still feeling great! Had loads of energy today, digestion is great, I feel like the Energizer bunny! No cravings. I am a little worried how I'll react to being "allowed" to eat anything. But I went to the grocery today and got the regulars- fruit, veggies, eggs, milk for my son, kidney beans for my chili tomorrow- and coffee. I picked up some flavored creamer as a little treat this week, but other than that I didn't want anything else. I was going to get some of my favorite Greek yogurt- Oikos coconut vanilla- but they didn't have that flavor and I wasn't interested in anything else. I got bacon too, since I don't have to worry about the sugar in it anymore. Other than that, I browsed around but didn't want anything else. I guess that's a good thing, but I want that to last!

Just a little side story about my mom who started this with me:

My mom threw a baby shower on Sunday (our day 29), and had a chili bar for her guests. She let herself get overly hungry and wound up eating a big bowl- noodles, topped with chili, cheese, and sour cream! She said it was heavenly. But afterwards, she was drowsy and took a long nap. She didn't sleep well last night and woke up feeling off and grumpy. She's proud though for making it a "Whole 28.5"! She was a pretty healthy eater to begin with. Over the last two years she lost about 40 pounds, going from a size 12/14 to a size 8. This was a big deal, because she's been overweight as long as I can remember. She lost the weight mainly by counting calories and intensely exercising for an hour a day, 6 days a week. She chose to do the Whole 30 with me because over the summer her habits were going downhill, and her size 8 clothes were gettig a little snug. I'm super proud of her. Her clothes fit well again. She's going to add her protein bars and shakes back into her routine. She's a teacher, so she needs convenient quick meals.

Tina, how old is your daughter? Do just have the one little girl? Does your family support your W30?

Archived