I felt healthier pre-W30...

Some background: When I had my son and started nursing in fall of 2013 I had some serious digestion difficulties that affected me and my son. I had dealt with chronic heartburn, constipation, and stomachaches for most of my life. I cut out dairy, soy, and gluten; which helped a lot. I worked with a nutritionist who introduced me to the Weston A. Price Foundation and Nourishing Traditions ways of eating... pastured meats, pastured eggs, raw dairy, fermented products, healthy fats (coconut oil, lard, tallow)... Once I reintroduced dairy in the form of local, grassfed raw dairy, I felt amazing. I have had incredible digestion and a strong immune system...

My husband and I started the Whole30 challenge to jumpstart weightloss and work out bad habits. I was also hoping for more energy and less moodiness. ;) We are on day 12 and I am so discouraged! I feel so constipated... haven't been able to go to the bathroom in days (this was a problem solved by my former above mentioned eating regimen). And my immune system has felt compromised-- this week and last week I left the weekend with a sore throat. To top it all off, I am so tired!

Here's an idea of what our meals look like:

B-Eggs with avocado, country sausage, potatoes and/or sautéed veggies

L-Spring salad mix with peppers, onions, guacamole, freshly made salsa, and chicken with side of strawberries

D-Hamburger patty with avocado, grilled potatoes, spring salad with oil vinaigrette and pumpkin seeds, 1/2 peach and strawberries with shredded coconut

I also have been drinking a lot of water with the occasional La Croix or iced coffee.

So, would you say that dairy is the only difference between what you're eating now and what you were eating before?

Is there something that you've started eating, or eating more of, that while compliant might be having a negative effect on you?

Totally understand going back to being constipated after having that issue fixed would be dispiriting to you!

Any changes in diet can require an adjustment in gut flora and enzymes. 

This. It takes time to adjust. 

If you were eating more fat previously, I might try to figure out ways to add more into your current plan. I also wonder if you were eating much fermented dairy? If so (and even if not, actually), you might do well to add some fermented vegetable foods into your meals. Raw/naturally fermented sauerkraut or cultured carrots might do the trick.

When your body detoxes it gets rid of all the junk in your cells and dumps it into your intestines. This can actually cause constipation and you need to get this out of your system. You might want to try eating some apples or grapes and drinking 1/2 your body weight in oz of water each day. You might need to add some fiber like starch veggies or flax seeds. Maybe a probiotic will help. Sometimes taking a couple of tbs of olive oil at night can help or even a laxative. Once you get things moving in the right direction you will feel better. Good luck!

18 months ago joined a Transformations high quality protein weight loss program. Felt good from day 1. No gas, bloating, or heartburn. Blood sugar was immediately under 100, Normal BM. Felt great. I was expecting something similar with this but I have felt worse. Heartburn is worse, diarrhea everyday, and feel foggy/tired.  That one allowed only supplements, lean protein, no starch veggies and 1T olive oil.  So is  it the high fat, starchy veggies, or fruit?

Also met a microbial biologist researcher who studies microbes and gut environment and  health and he doesn't support paleo diet long term.  He says the stomach stops making the bacteria to digest any food you stop eating so if you try to eat it again, it will cause problems but not necessarily because your system

has a condition but because you've lost the gut microbes that digest that food.

I've found after eating this way for nearly two years, I can tolerate grains and dairy much better when I do have them since my digestive system is so much better.

What the researcher says doesnt make sense in a real environment since lots of populations have periodic or variable diets, and new borns start from nothing.

It is fat, starchy veg and fruit! Any or all!

Thank you for all the support and helpful tips everyone! I'm taking a probiotic and upped my fruit intake a bit to help move things along. I think I'm over that slump... Wonder if it could have been an issue with cyclical hormones? Glad to be feeling better as we get closer to the halfway point!

Archived