Help! Akward topic...diarrhea

On 2/24/2018 at 4:49 AM, RckyMtnAngL said:

Severe diahrrea!...I have no gallblaldder...Can someone please advise? Thanks!

I'm assuming your doctor told you to maintain a low-fat diet after having your gallbladder removed, so the Whole30 diet (being a higher fat diet) is surely not working for your body in this regard (bile secreted by the gallbladder is what helps break down fat).

A lot of excess fat in the digestive track leads to MAJOR diarrhea, which really is a potential answer for MANY of the old questions posted here. 

• 1 month later...

By no means am I implying this is what's happening to other people, but I did want to put this out there for informational purposes.  About a week into Whole 30, everything gave me heartburn.  I just assumed it was an adjustment period.  By the second week in, I began to have diarrhea in the mornings (usually one or two episodes) and then fine the rest of the day. By the third week, I was having days were I had diarrhea several times a day and was becoming very weak and dehydrated.  By week four, I finally went to see a doctor to get blood and stool samples.  Apparently my body detoxed a little too well and released toxins into my system that my immune system couldn't fight off. I ended up with an intestinal infection from it.  I went the natural route through my naturopath and took a cocktail of various supplements and vitamins and finally beat it after two weeks.  The regular doctor wanted to put me on flagyl and cipro at the same time and since I can't tolerate antibiotics, I knew this would only cause me further trouble.

I just thought it might be good to put this information out there for others. 

Sounds like you just caught a bug and ignored it for a couple weeks until it got to the point that your doctor felt you needed multiple antibiotics to deal with it. The immune system doesn't fight toxins; it fights bacteria and viruses. The liver and kidneys are your body's "detox" system. 

• 4 months later...

I am on Round 3 of Whole 30 and D5 after having to do a restart on My original D2 because Starbucks put sweetener in my iced tea after I clearly asked for no sweetener. Anyways, I have been having diarrhea since D4 and it is always about 30 minutes to and hour after I eat. My food have varied and do not include eggs so far. I love leftovers! 

I remember this also happening in my other rounds and I think the body starts to cleanse itself of toxins after about a week of eating clean . 

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having trouble with diarrhea, on day 14. Started a few days ago, before that I was pretty constipated. I may have an intolerance to eggs, I used to get sick every time I got a vaccine as a child and I later learned they were egg-based. Before Whole30, I would only eat eggs a couple times a month, now I am eating them at least 4 times a week. My question is, what do people eat for breakfast if they don't eat eggs? Eating a slab of meat with veggies just doesn't appeal to me in the AM.  I eat a Whole30 "cereal" a few times a week - coconut, seeds, slivered almonds, blueberries, almond milk - but I'd get pretty sick of eating that every day.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, prairiefox53 said:

I am also having trouble with diarrhea, on day 14. Started a few days ago, before that I was pretty constipated. I may have an intolerance to eggs, I used to get sick every time I got a vaccine as a child and I later learned they were egg-based. Before Whole30, I would only eat eggs a couple times a month, now I am eating them at least 4 times a week. My question is, what do people eat for breakfast if they don't eat eggs? Eating a slab of meat with veggies just doesn't appeal to me in the AM.  I eat a Whole30 "cereal" a few times a week - coconut, seeds, slivered almonds, blueberries, almond milk - but I'd get pretty sick of eating that every day.

Leftovers usually :)  But I wouldn't eat a 'slab' of meat at breakfast either.  How about chili or a veggie and protein packed chicken soup? Or a hash made with leftover meatballs or meatloaf... 

The idea of leftovers not appealing is often linked to a poor hormone balance between cortisol and leptin... your goal should be to actually WANT to eat meat and veggies when you wake up as that means your hormones are tracking properly... the only way to get there is to just eat the food as best you can and then pack it up and take it with you to eat from again as soon as you feel able.  The cereal thing is not doing you any favors in this department and it actually wildly exceeds the recommendation to limit seeds and nuts and their products (the recommendation being a closed handful of nuts every other day at most - that's about 6-8 almonds)

I have lymphocytic colitis and the only symptom was watery stools all day long for five months. The doc did all of the tests, over time, and when nothing he recommended cured my problem, he sent me to a gastro doc who suggested a colonoscopy even though I was not due for one for another five years. The only thing he discovered through biopsies was the microscopic colitis that can only be diagnosed through colonoscopy and biopsies. There are drugs to control but not cure this problem. I have reactions to them, so I was told to use Pepto or liperomide. Last night and most of this a.m. I had raging, watery diarrhea. It took the maximum dosage of Pepto to calm it down. And this is only Day 2 of my whole 30. My PA and I think it was Salvadorean food that I ate three days before whole30 that caused the flare. Now I just have to figure out the leg and ankle cramps.

• Moderators

Hi, @Lori d. I don't really have anything helpful about the diarrhea, i hope you get it figured out, I know that's got to be miserable, but you mentioned leg cramps. Dehydration and/or lack of salt can contribute to these. Your doctor may have talked to you about this, but definitely be sure you're drinking plenty of water and salting your food, especially during times when you're dealing with diarrhea. You might also try Epsom salt baths or magnesium oil/lotion, which will let you get magnesium which can help with cramping, and avoid the digestive issues that can come from taking magnesium supplements. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2014 at 4:00 PM, decker_bear said:

I am so glad to see this question asked. I started reading It Starts with Food a couple of days ago (can't put it down!) and I remember reading in there that diarrhea and constipation are normal like in week 2 or 3 (or something - can't remember exactly off hand).

Thank you... Now than I know it could be normal, I feel relieved... 
I'll try to review my eggs and fruit intake :)

• 1 year later...

Thank goodness other people are here!

I'm 6 days into my 7th Whole30 but eat a mainly Paleo diet in-between (the only grains I have are for birthdays/celebrations and the only dairy is butter and full-fat, unflavored greek yogurt). Sometimes I'll do a keto/Whole30 throughout the year because I feel great with high fat and clean food.

I've always eaten a fair amount of eggs, almost always fried. But for whatever reason, this time around I'm having horrible BMs. This has never happened to me before, let alone on Whole30. They range in color but tend to be messy and gassy and loose. I'm SO sorry for the TMI - I hate talking about this stuff but am at a loss. I have no idea what's going on or what to do, any thoughts or suggestions?

Is there anything you're eating more of this time than before? Like more cruciferous veggies, leading to more gas, maybe? Or maybe you've increased high-FODMAP foods without realizing it, since those can definitely lead to gasses produced in the gut?

Apart from a food-related cause, though, is it possible that you're actually getting sick? I know we've got influenza running rampant down here (those who were vaccinated are still getting sick, just not as badly), and sickness could definitely mess with the color and consistency of one's poop. Granted, one of the first things any good doc would do is ask if you've had dietary changes :D 

• Moderators

Can you tell us what you've been eating? 

If your gut flora is out of balance, it's possible you could be experiencing a Herxheimer reaction. None of us here are medical professionals, so you'd want to see your doctor for a diagnosis, but it wouldn't hurt to drink plenty of water, sweat it out (exercise and or sauna) and of course, getting good sleep is super important.

• 1 year later...

Day 9 of Whole30; feeling great overall. More energy. Sleeping better. I actually dream again and often.

eggs in the am; scrambled typically

salad for lunch. Seared ahi this last week.

chicken or steak for dinner with potato and veggies.

no sweeteners. No cheating or forcing my food weaknesses in.

ive had relatively frequent diarrhea/loose stool for about 5 years with occasional weeks of solid ones, been tested, no tumors or any noteworthy test results.

I was hoping this would indeed reset my gut but my bowel movements have been mostly diarrhea. 

might try using less oil/ghee

Still hopeful since it’s only day 9/30

You’re not alone

Archived