Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Higs - so sorry about your tooth  :wacko: Jinkies that's a never ending story!!

Ann - you keep on keepin' on!

Deb - favorite Paleo Pad Thai  is from Clothes Make the Girl. But Rick doctors it up a bit - not sure what magic he adds!! No fish sauce today. I'm trying to finish up leftovers, but I'll catch up when we get to Rick's tomorrow!

Meadow - I love your offal jokes!!

Rick just texed me - I think he's going to make me your crab stuffed mushrooms Deb!

Another long day in the car tomorrow. I'm going to hit the grocery story before we leave to pack some better food for our trip. Sam's best friend Kai is coming with us. She is brilliant and funny - they will keep me entertained the whole way. Rose - I think we're going to listen to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Something tells me that might be up your ally!

I know I'm missing some of the new folks. I love reading your comments and I hope you're doing well on this journey!

Magic Mushroom Powder - yes, we made it. We still have some left-it lasted a long time!  It was a little too salty. I would cut back on that next time. Rick puts it on EVERYTHING we grill!! (Deb and Rick both seem to have a palate for the salt!)

I call this the WD30 Bunkhouse.  Everyone has their own room to mill around.  When they get lonely, they come out to the living room and share their logs and thoughts.   Then one by one, they wander off back to their room for a little R & R.    :lol:    Tomorrow is a new day.

Meadow, yes the poor tooth is offal!!  It is never ending.  Sigh.  Sorry for the whining.  All the re-sticking-ons of the crown (three) have been free at least.  They haven't stuck it on permanently yet since it might need a root canal.  Now that gets spendy.  More consults, blah blah blah.

I have to say that Bear sounds AMAZING.  I wish my dude could pack the freezer full of game meat.  Maybe I should take up hunting.  I could shoot birds maybe but an elk would be tough.  Cris is a really good cook but not a hunter.  

Miki, it's true:  I do eat goat meat.  Not my goats of course.  We did talk about raising meat goats at one point, but we don't have enough space and I don't think I could manage to ever have them butchered.  If we had pigs, it would be the same story.  I LOVE pigs, they are smart, fun animals but they get too dang big.  Did I already tell you all about our neighbor with the 82 pigs?  She runs a potbelly pig rescue.  We went to check it out and left knowing we would never have a pet pig, so my petting zoo will have to remain pig-less.

Finishing up week 1 already!  It flies.

Meadow the kidney!! I am going to have to investigate at the butcher. 

I think we'd be doing a better PR job for kf if we called it by its other names of beef tallow or suet. 

Everyone's heard of suet! You put it in your Christmas pudding! Rose, back me up  :)

Lil Soph  :(  Maybe she needs some rice with suet. 

I did. I think that is coming from an accomplished Irish meat handler  :)  :D

I have a Kitchen Aid and the thought has crossed my mind but then I see all this and I need to lie down

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sausage+stuffer+for+kitchenaid&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=29916493047&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10683528767358447514&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8yd3cbs08b_b

Breathe, Deb, breathe. We must be on the same sausage seeking wavelength. I looked in my nom nom paleo cookbook today and there's a recipe for sausage patties made with ground pork that looks simple and freezable. It's not on the website, so I'll post tomorrow. Here's another recipe I found: http://cookeatpaleo.com/paleo-breakfast-sausage/

Thanks for the butcher info--will look into them!

night night

Kat

CC and flight crew--

Currently reading Recipes for a Sacred Life by Rivvy Neshama.

Also, for moms (and dads), Sh*tty Moms is hilarious and on point about parenting! The authors are writers for Conan, I believe...

Way past my bedtime, but I napped when my twins napped today. Also way more energy due to absence of sugar crashes.

xo

Kat

Good morning all. Negotiations are done.......not sure there is such thing as a winner....but we are finished. Today we are on the road to one of the bases to do a site visit/inspection. Then we are back on the road this evening to drive 3 hours to San Antonio, spend the night, and catch an early flight out. Hope everyone is doing well, eating right, feeling improvements. I'm looking forward to getting home.......my oldest heads back to college today and my wife has a job interview tomorrow. My wife has done odd jobs over the years and her resume does not show any consistency but she is applying for an Admin Assistant for a government contractor and I told her that her Bachelors degree and numerous experiences will be more than enough. But....she still remians nervous.....poor thing!  

My wife came home two days ago to find our oldest boy on the phone, crying, and saying "yes sir, no sir". She took the phone and talked to a county police officer...name......badge number......etc......about a traffic violation that our son received and never appeared in court. The officer said that a bench warrant was out on him and we needed to pay $1500 bail immediately or our son could be arressted. I calmly told my wife, a) we don't have any red light cameras in our camera, B) our son has never driven to a different county, c) even if he had ran a red light, the car is registered in my name and I would be the one in trouble, d) they dont call you and tell you that you have a warrant out for you......they deliver it! So....this turned out to be a scam and fortunately my wife and son did not take the bait. Its amazing what happens when I leave home.......my wife said that she was very skeptical....a skill set she has learned from me over the years....I can smell "bullshit" for miles.

Stay safe everyone.

Dave

Hi there -  I am a lurker on  this crazy string!    I got here through some ingredient searching (IOD rocks-  thank you Deb!) but keep coming back because I need a dose of fun-   and pictures of inspiring woman and musclely guys cant hurt (thank you meadowlily).  But really really what I appreciate most is the authentic tone of the chatter here.   

I wish there was a "Dirty30 primer" -  has anyone been appointed a "dirty 30" historian?  We visitors to this foreign land need a quick study guide so that we can eventually apply for citizenship!   In lieu of that I am going to try to read back posts a bit at a time....  but really 467 posts in 10 days??  I may not be able to keep up with the daily volume much less the backlog. 

I am on day 13 of  Whole30 #1.5 so I will be back again once I have a full program under my belt ..... unless I can offer a bribe to come on early???  

Captain Dave-    I am willing to write a check for  $10,000 (I dont really use checks anymore but I am sure i can come up with one from a bank account I had in 1999....  )   I don't have a ceiling fan so I dusted the mini blinds instead and my bathroom faucets are shiny (sort of) ....... I have 3 crumpled post it notes in my trash can…… and I play “Find my Crap”  regularly.   I also have a 17 year old son who really did have a traffic violation and what a learning experience that was for all of us.   I am glad it happened while he was home so real life lessons have a chance to sink in before he is off on his own. 

Thanks to all for brightening my day and making me think!

Lynn 

Good morning, all. Feeling great this morning. Eggs, potatoes, grapes, and lots of asparagus for meal 1. I am now on day 28 of my first W30, and plan to weigh and measure on day 31 and keep right on going through the next 30. Y'all aren't kidding when you say it may not feel good until the last few days... glad I'm here.

CC, regarding the mushroom powder, you used the phrase, "too salty." This is not an expression I am familiar with. :-) I think I'll give this salty dust a try.

Deb - sausage-making. For several years, back when I was an uncooperative teenager, my family and another family would pool money and buy and raise a big pig on the other family's land then we'd have a big butchering-day party... big roasts on a spit cooking over a fire; meat expertly cut by the men who had been deer-hunting and doing their own field dressing and butchering for years; meat wrapped and taken to the freezer by sullen teens; and herbs picked from the garden, combined with dried herbs and spices, and ground up with the meat set aside for sausage. I still remember watching the sausage come out of the grinder into the casing... the first few links were all different widths and lengths as my dad got used to the way it was all working, but once he got the hang of it, the links were pretty uniform in size and shape. Some sausage meat was ground and made into patties, and some was ground together with venison to make more patty sausage. It was always a helluva party, and a lot of work, but a great day. Not bad for a bunch of academics (dad and the other guy were professors at the state university... Chemistry and PolySci, respectively).

Well, that's it for reminiscing this morning. I say, go for the grinding attachment... it is also great for making a wonderful hash with leftover cooked potatoes, cooked meat like pot roast or corned beef, onions, herbs, mmmmmmm.

Dave, congratulations on getting your deal negotiated.  I hope you're home safe and sound soon and rescuing family from phone scams, fighting crime, donning your cape and tights, bullshit detector deployed... 

Ann, the butchering story is great.  I would love an experience like that someday.  Nice image of the families working all together.

Meadow, your photos this morning!  The innocence of a high school volleyball team all the way to cyclist tree trunks.  Those cyclist thighs are crazy.  They must be sprinters or something, right?  I just watch the distance events and those cats are really lean.

Deb, here it is mushroom day and I have no mushrooms!  D'oh!  My IOD's tend to get mixed up but I try to work most of them at some point.  I have the fish sauce but confess to not using it yesterday.  I wish it was October because when the fall rains start, the chanterelles arrive and my wonderful neighbor brings me a couple pounds of them.  Then there are fresh chanterelles in everything.

Welcome Lynn, to this crazy group of dirty kids!  The round up:  Dave, Mike and Deb met up on a Whole 30 back in May.  They had so much fun that they started a second round on June 9, the original Dirty 30.  Laurie, Meadow, Rose, CC, Cara, Rosann and I joined in that round and things took off.  That's where Deb's wonderful IOD's were launched.  Others have come and gone along the way, but new folks are always welcomed to join in.   :)

All:  we're on to week 2!

Chief, thanks for the heads-up about the scam.   We keep getting calls about our extended warranty on our vehicles running out...blah blah blah; or the phony credit card company telling us we're entitled to bogus bonus blah  blah.   

They blather and foam at the mouth.  We've noticed it's every single day.  Phony calls from Montreal and NYC.  I do believe the increase is due to the recent breach in credit information from stores and banks.

It's given them all of our personal info and it's out there for the crooks.

Stay vigilant, my friends.   Reminds me of Stay Thirsty, my friends.

285114_350298885060030_782615508_n.jpg?o

Hi Everyone!

I'm on day 28 like Ann. And, like Ann, I will be continuing on past day 30. I haven't decided how long I'll extend it; thru the 8th for certain, perhaps longer.

I continue to read and mostly lurk, and I love the the tone of this group. Everyone is very supportive and helpful here. I love the snarky side when it appears! It is clear it is all in good fun.

I am learning a lot here and know I will continue to pick up recipes and tips the longer I stay.

Thanks All!

Joni G.

Joni.   Say it isn't true.  The snarky side, say what?  

Joni, are you the observant one who knows that things change by the minute?  :D 

299449_349547161801869_973681345_n.jpg

Good morning,

Quick note here, crazy day at work, still cramping but here.  So far, surviving the first week of school too :-) Football practice and washing daily uniform in!

Did not feel good to have dinner last night. Went to bed at 7pm. So this morning I had a steak for breakfast at 6 am, it tasted soooo good.

More sirloin and salad for lunch and glad to try the IOD, love mushrooms in any way. Captain, I did not de-clutter yesterday, will try to get some done today. starting for my desk.

Deb, Meadowlily, Nick (feel better in your mouth soon), and the rest I cannot remember names now, have a good and productive day...

Happy flying,

Archived