Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking about the one word 'challenge'. 

I'm gravitating toward: Simplify

Though I think I have to do more pondering and research before settling on just one...

Thought-provoking!

Joni G.

Meadow - I briefly saw a picture of a beautiful Native American woman - where did she go?

Makes me wish, for the millionth time, that I had the knowledge on how to research my (watered-down) Cherokee 'roots'.

Take a DNA test.  You'll know for sure.  You do know that 8 people can wipe it all out.  If you have one relative back in the 1600's and 1000's inbetween....it's a goner.  100 - 50 - 25 - 16th...32nd, etc. 

Many tribes use parentage as a means of defining membership. Known as"blood quantum," the practice defines tribal membership according to the degree of "pure blood" belonging to that tribe. For example, a person with one grandparent belonging to one tribe and three grandparents not belonging to that tribe would be considered to have a "blood quantum" of one-quarter.  The minimum amount of blood quantum required can be as little as one-thirty-second(equivalent to one great-great-great-grandparent) or as high as one-half(equivalent to one full-blooded tribal parent.

DIY-Funny-Vegetables.jpg

I love the password ideas!!
Higs that song is amazing!

And Scottish ballads now y'all will make me weep!!

Allright, tomorrow's IOD, our last fling with summer this Labor Day weekend. 

MELON!

Most melons are rich in potassium, a nutrient that may help control blood pressure, regulate heart beat, and possibly prevent strokes. A potassium-rich diet helps keep salt from raising blood pressure and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and possibly age-related bone loss.

Melons are also abundant in vitamin C, one arm of the now-famous disease-fighting antioxidant trio. Another arm that's well represented is beta-carotene. Researchers believe that beta-carotene and vitamin C are capable of preventing heart diseasecancer, and other chronic conditions.

Watermelon is a valuable source of lycopene, one of the carotenoids that have actually been studied in humans. Research indicates that lycopene is helpful in reducing the risk of prostate, breast, and endometrial cancers, as well as lung and colon cancer.

REMEMBER: its not in the spirit of the W30 guidelines to eat melon as a snack or after a meal as a "dessert". I have left out the MANY recipes that seemed sweet or dessert-y. Make sure to eat melon with your main meal and if it starts to ignite your sugar dragon, be aware. 

Here's the recipe round up:

Melon Salsa

Prosciutto and Mint Wrapped Melon

Chicken and Melon Soup

Spinach Prosciutto, Avocado and Melon Salad

Melon Gazpacho Recipes

Watermelon Salad with Jalapeno and Lime

Watermelon and Tomato Salad

Arugula, Watermelon and Avocado Salad with Spicy Lime Vinaigrette

Grilled Watermelon

Cantaloupe and Mango Salad

Spiced Cantaloupe

Melon Salad with Chilli and Mint

AIP

Canteloupe Bacon Salad

Melon and Lemon Verbena Cooler

ENJOY!!!

10252121_10152439521569954_8854301793022

Oh, Meadow is known for her "catch and release"...don't dilly dally with her posts or you'll miss out!

Miki - that's a root tooter.   :D  :D  

You know how Higs goats are always photo bombing her photos....that's me.    As my Pawpaw says,  "Lay back in the weeds and every now and then... part them to make sure the coast is clear, then surprise them, close the weeds back up quickly."   I lay there and wait.    :o  :D   Ahh, heck-a-toot.

funny-shaped-vegetables-fruits-14.jpg

Joni, I love the spicy too. I'm having girlfriends over, so it will be prosciutto wrapped, if I can find compliant prosciutto. That is yummy too. CC your one word idea has helped, mine is adventurous.

Miki--Trader Joe's has prosciutto with pork and salt listed as the only ingredients :-).

Oh that is interesting - I haven't heard the term 'blood quantum' before. I have no illusions that I would qualify for any membership - I just would like to know the genealogy.  Though I find the idea of a DNA test fascinating. I am learning a lot from you, Meadow!

Joni G.

Dawes Rolls.

http://thorpe.ou.edu/OILS/trace.html

Good morning friends!    

I have noticed that I am waking up around 6:45 everyday, more peacefully and without an alarm-  it is a good feeling!   

I am thinking about goals this morning... why did I start the Whole30? What do I really want out of it?

Today is officially day 16 of my Whole30 #1.5.   If I had not made an off plan choice on my first day 14, I would be finished now.     http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21200-why-i-view-my-whole14-as-a-success/.   But I also probably would not have found this group -  and it feels like this is leading me to more  important insights that go way beyond the physical.       

In my  Whole 30 Daily  this morning I learned that science shows it takes 66 days to really form a new habit.   So I am thinking of extending my Whole30 to a Whole66 (from my original start date of August 1).   Not only will this help solidify the shopping, eating, fueling habits that are becoming second nature..... it will also give me another 30+ days to work on a remaining habit I just have not been able to shake.  

Confession time (please be gentle with me):    I am still addicted to the scale.  I am so close to not being classified as obese...  just 2 more pounds!   Every morning I think -  you don't need that scale for validation, you know how you are feeling,  you know that number does not show you all the progress you have made.   But every morning I think.... "but maybe today is the day"    

So, I asked my husband to hide the scale.   And this is day 31 of my Whole66.    

Dave-  based on our posting times, I think I will always be a day behind on exercise and chores...  15X pushup, squats and situps done.  My trainer would like you, but I am not all that sure right at this moment (I dont like her right after a workout either, but I love her the other 166 hours of the week)     Does it count if we assign the chores to a teenager? Just kidding (sort of....).   It is raining here this AM, so my bike ride is cancelled and I have no excuses for delegating.     Hope the island was fun!  And yes captain -  no scales from this day forward. 

Joni-  Yeah for 30 days and Tiger Blood!!   Are we related, you ask?  lets see.... perimeter shopping, password mnemonics, baggy work pants-  yep I think so!     I am mostly Irish/German heritage so it would be an interesting story to find out how that mixed in Cherokee.     

Miki-   thanks for this:   "this is my program and I'm doing it their way........it works amazingly for most people.  OK-  I am all in now and prepared to be amazed!! 

CC-   was last year the first year you did "one word" ?     It would be interesting to see what the evolution of the words is over a long period of time.  Leading from Deb's crafting ideas couldn't you just see having your 10 words for each decade as "word art" hanging on your wall?    What a conversation starter for children, grandchildren, and friends new and old.   

Deb-   yeah melon!   I will do something melon (probably salsa or gazpacho)  for a potluck tonight.  Still have not made the amazing sauce (I think this is called IOD procrastination.... but I hear that this is penalty free)   Faith (as is everything is OK) is a great one word. 

Anne-   isnt it amazing how songs/singers can dig deep into our hearts?   

Meadow-   a new fun goal for me is to actually "catch" one of your fleeting, empty posts!  I could become a compulsive about it .....checking the board 3, 4, 5 times per day.....  I would have the notifications pushed to my phone but with the rate this group posts I would be getting notifications every 10 minutes and end up ignoring work, family, workouts.     Regarding the fabulous veggie pics- could these be like  Rorschach tests?    Does being Whole30 increase the ability to see the personality hidden inside every vegetable?

Does anyone  have any Meadow catching hints to share with the newbies????

Lynn (also known as jump) ( I am going to try to remember to sign my name each time)

It is raining here ..... and my "boys" (husband and son) are still sleeping..... contributing to the many posts from me this AM.

Here are the "One Words" I am contemplating for the rest of this year:

Present

Authentic

Intentional

Engaged

Contented

I am going to let them mill around for awhile and see which one tugs at me most

Lynn 

1P0534439-0.jpg

So could  this represent Tiger Blood....    Lion Blood......  Broccoli Blood.....?  

The Whole30 Daily today had a quote about Tiger Blood from Charlie Sheen of all people:

“I’m different. I have a different constitution, I have a different brain, I have a different heart. I got tiger blood, man.”

When I went looking deeper,  I got to an interview where he talks about his ability to process large amounts of illegal drugs......  

Please, please tell me that that is not really where the term Tiger Blood came from?!!!!!    I would rather have Broccoli Blood!   

It is raining here ..... and my "boys" (husband and son) are still sleeping..... contributing to the many posts from me this AM.

Here are the "One Words" I am contemplating for the rest of this year:

Present

Authentic

Intentional

Engaged

Contented

I am going to let them mill around for awhile and see which one tugs at me most

Lynn 

All of the above....you're comical and sweet.

And...giving, compassionate, observant and AWARE of others, your surroundings.   Boy, it's good to be aware of our surroundings and not walk through life with our heads down.  Hold your head high, Lynn.

Jump - you are definitely a kin to the Dirty 30 Paleo Cat 69ers...as we're known in some circles. Darling Dave has the stamina and energy of a 14-year-old boy (probably other things we won't go into here), so I have to temper his dictates with a little "take care of MamaMiki so she can continue to put her kids through school until they're finished?)

One thing that really works for me is "Take 5" if I'm in transition or just need a break or during commercials or before I eat some because I'm in a Snackity Snack mood instead of hungry or mealtime. I do a plank or a down-dog or 10 girl pushups or stand on my tip toes. It doesn't have to be a lot, but if you end up taking 5 12 times in a day, that is a half hour. It ads up and it has helped me build stamina. I currently do 30 min on the elliptical and weights or abs about 5 times a week, but I still Take 5.

That's my two cents worth. Hey Dave - where is naked joe. We need get this group a little funky and fun. Show them the outcome of clean living and a healthier body. Dave, CC and Meadow have lost a power of poundage (only weighing on day 31's). I had to move my scale to the garage...I didn't lose anything but I ate a ton (not the right thing) and didn't gain a pound. This time around I'm really working on my snackity snack habit.

This group is about a lot more than just the W30. We've really found our sadness and our happiness and our fears and realized that each and everyone has them and transparency really gives them much less power in our lives.

Stay focused on the beautiful colors you're allowed to eat, the wonderful recipes Deb showers on us, the inspiring pictures, songs and movies from our darling Meadow...CC&R's amazing tales of biking 100 miles in the snow, uphill both ways (cc I hope you post the face pic from today.

Keep it up kids!

MamaMiki

Always stay aware of your surroundings.  Whether you live in L.A., Houston,  or NYC and you're walking or running around city streets....Stay Aware.   These things tune you up.   You can't keep your head down when one of these may be following you. Stay Aware in parking lots while walking to your cars.    If you're walking on a trail and they're up ahead, they're sooo smart, they drop off the trail, turn around and start following you.

grizzly_bear_2_FreeTiiuPix.com.JPG

Archived