Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

Dave - perhaps you need to go bra shopping and decide if you agree with Ann. I'm sure you could fit it in, in between being the world's greatest neighbor, the world's greatest SIL, the world's greatest Husband and Father, and without a doubt...the world's greatest W30, cat herding, drill sergeant, team-leader!

Okay kids, off to the gym.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mik - I love that your word is ADVENTUROUS!  What an absolutely fun word that is!

Meadow - I admire that you are a straight shooter. I never have to guess what you're thinking or where you stand on this issues. That is huge. I think I'd like to be more like that when I grow up!  I, believe it or not, have some Indian ancestry. My ex husband talks about it with great vigor, like Sam is going to get some big college scholarships or something, which is ridiculous. We might hit 1/32nd, but I think it would be a stretch. My uncle is the historian - I'm checking in with him!

Joni - I'm leaning toward some version of SIMPLIFY for next year!

Lynn - good for you for asking for some support on hiding the scale!  It was, and is, difficult for me to avoid the scale. I sincerely waited 30 days the first go around. I knew if I stepped on and didn't like what I saw, it would give me an excuse to go off course. Since that time, I weigh myself about once every two weeks. Not necessary, I know, but it gives me a little feedback in terms of what I'm doing right or need to improve upon.

Interestingly, I think training for a race is counter intuitive to weight loss. I was watching Extreme Weight Loss one day, and Chris Powell confirmed. Although you are exercising a lot, you also have to eat to support the training. Dawner, have you found that to be true?  For now I'm focused on my race, and then after that I'm going to get focused on some furter weight loss.

Also, Lynn, I am quite confident that Charlie Sheen IS where Tiger Blood came from. WINNING!!!  

Ann - I hate clothes shopping, so good for you!

I've attached the picture Mik mentioned. This was the view from our balcony this morning as we were getting ready for the kayak ride!

post-46802-0-91727200-1409498853_thumb.j

My present, contented, authentic, engaged, intentional, faithful, nourished friends,

This is my statement of the day from the wise MamaMiki: 

"This group is about a lot more than just the W30. We've really found our sadness and our happiness and our fears and realized that each and everyone has them and transparency really gives them much less power in our lives"

Yes, yes, yes.  

Guys, a few words, if I may, about weight loss. I think its always worth reminding ourselves what Whole 30 is really all about and also reading what one of its creators, Melissa Hartwig, has to say about weight loss (scroll down for that, my musings come first). 

I know that many people come to the Whole 30 with the hopes of losing weight. I did. 

I have not put a non compliant ingredient into my body since 5/5 except some honey, in between my official W30s. 

I'm not going to say that I've done a whole 120 or anything like that because between my three official W30s (two AIP) I have snacked, had some fruit for dessert, etc etc. BUT. You get the picture. I don't eat much, not because I want to restrict my food intake, but simply because I don't have a huge appetite (Miki may dispute this). 

In almost 4 months of eating this way I have not lost or gained any weight. 

AND THAT IS OK. No, I don't think I'm doing it wrong. No, I'm not beating myself up. No I don't wish it were different. 

I have accepted exactly what is, and what this is meant to be. 

I FEEL better. I have more energy. I have no acid reflux. I'm not triggering my digestive system every day with things that upset it. I have a super crazy serious auto immune diagnosis but I function like a healthy person in the world. 

I actually don't need snacks any more. These, and so much more, are the non scale victories. 

In fact, I consider this non weight loss one of the great gifts of the Whole 30 (the other being the Dirty30 group) because it has forced me to acknowledge that this is not a weight loss plan.  This is a way of eating for health, to determine, through elimination and reintroduction, what foods trigger sensitivity in us and to show us how good we can feel by eating without them. If you are treating Whole 30 as SOLELY a weight loss regimen (as I was, initially) you are operating outside the spirit and intent of the plan. You may as well be eating a cheese sandwich. 

To those of you who have lost weight, who wanted to, as a happy side effect of W30, that is a great bonus for you. 

But for those of you who have gained health - THAT is the real win. 

In the words of our own Meadow:

"The most exciting part of the Whole 30 for me is the brain reset. If the brain doesn't get on board it doesn't matter how many of these you do.  The body wants what it wants but the brain's in charge.

The brain reset takes you from the endless cycle of yo-yo dieting, bingeing, purging and starving.... into wholeness, wellness.   It takes you from pretending you understand to knowing you understand.

If you're really using this reset as your low carb diet and pretending ....the truth will find you out.  Your brain will have the same thought patterns about food and eating before you started the Whole 30.

At the end of 30 days...the big reveal - reveals all.

If you are pretending, you will use the Whole 30 as periodic dieting.  

The right foods at the right times will balance your hormones and fix your head.   Fix your head and the body will follow"

MELISSA HARTWIG ON WEIGHT LOSS:

w30-and-weight-loss2.jpg

The Whole30® and Weight Loss

Since the inception of our Whole30® program in April 2009, we’ve made one thing abundantly clear: This is not a weight loss program. It’s not a diet, it’s not a quick fix, and it’s certainly not a “17 Day Get Skinnier Than Your Friends” kind of approach.

But that doesn’t mean we don’t recognize or value your weight loss goals.

Weight, Body Image, and Health

We know you want to lose weight. That’s why 90% of people undertake a new diet or exercise program in the first place, and that’s where 95% of our consulting clients are coming from (among other goals).

And hear us clearly–wanting to lose weight or change your body does not make you shallow. It’s no more shallow to take on the Whole30 for weight loss than it is to use the program to clear up your acne, heal your psoriasis, or reduce the perpetual belly bloat you’ve been experiencing.

Body image, as a dear friend recently mentioned on her blog, is a complex issue. Maybe you want to loseweight to improve your health. Maybe it’s for your self-esteem. Maybe it’s to feel more socially accepted, or loved. But for now, for our purposes, your reason doesn’t matter. It’s your own, and who are we to tell you it’s invalid, or less than worthy? Simply put, you’d like to lose weight. And we want to help you do it—healthfully and sustainably.

So why do we spend so much time telling you we don’t care if you lose weight?

The Whole9 Perspective: Health First

The above is one famous example of a line straight from It Starts With Food (page 210): “We don’t care if you lose weight on your Whole30.” And if that was all we wrote, we’d see why you might be frustrated. But there’s more.The very next line in the book says, “We know you care, though, and we do care about you. So, please, hear us out.”

From our perspective, we have to position the Whole30 as far away from “weight loss” as possible, for a few reasons. First, we will not allow our program to be lumped in with programs like “The 17 Day Diet,” “7 Pounds in 7 Days,” or “I Can Make You Thin.” These quick-fix programs all have three things in common: they focus only on weight and looks, they’re spectacularly unhealthy, and they all fail long-term.

But more importantly, we come out hard against weight loss as a primary goal for your Whole30 because if we didn’t, here’s what we’d see: I’m doing the Whole30, but low-calorie. Or, I’m on the Whole30, but super low-fat. Or zero carbs. Or while drinking a Whole30 meal replacement shake for breakfast, another for lunch, and a light Whole30 meal for dinner.

We already see these examples from some of you who come to the Whole30 with a weight loss focus, despite our efforts to redirect you towards health, changing habits, and improving your quality of life. You know why this happens?

Because we’ve all been dieting our entire lives in an effort to loseweight. And the message we’re sold is thatweight loss = restriction. So if your focus is solely on weight loss going into the Whole30, what will you do? Alter the plan to make it even more restrictive.

And that, friends, defeats the purpose and the magic of the Whole30 altogether—and likely roadblocks your weight lossefforts, too.

Coming Out Swingin’

So we come out strong against focusing on weight loss during your Whole30. We don’t allow you to weigh or measure yourself during the program, citing five reasons you should dump your scale for good. We give you174,203 things to measure besides weight loss to evaluate your Whole30 progress. We encourage you to focus on your health, because when you make yourself healthier from the inside-out, improved body composition, self-esteem, and happiness generally follow.

And most importantly, we tell you, “Scale weight fluctuates… And it’s one of the parties holding you hostage to your unhealthy relationship with food. So give yourself a long-overdue, well-deserved break from your preoccupation with body weight. You deserve it.

However, make sure we’re clear on one thing: We also want you to change your body.

We have to go above and beyond to tell you not to focus on weight loss during your Whole30, because (a) we know you’re probably going to anyway, to some degree, (  B) we need to buffer your temptation to restrict, calorie-count, weigh yourself daily, and beat yourself up over the results and © we are desperately trying to change an obsession with body weight to a big-picture grasp of what it means to be truly healthy, and the radically improved quality of life that follows. But we do want to help you lose weight, healthfully and sustainably. Which is why our original meal planning template has safe weight loss built right into the design. And why we talk about other lifestyle factors like exercise, recovery, sleep, and stress—all of which play a huge role in weight loss and body composition.

And more recently, why Dallas has been learning, studying, and working with test clients in a brand new, groundbreaking functional medicine training program—so that we can help those of you who need more than simple lifestyle interventions to restore your health and lose weight.

But that doesn’t mean we’ll ever turn the Whole30 or our consulting program into a weight loss-focused effort.

You want to lose weight, and we’re here to help—but the only way we’ll do that for you is by improving your health, in a sustainable fashion that you can maintain for the rest of your life. It’s what we do, and it’s what you need.

So go ahead and continue your healthy efforts with weight loss in the back of your mind. Just don’t allow that focus to take you to a place where you start contemplating less healthy behaviors to get you there. Be patient. Find the right people to work with. And understand that you are worth more than the number on the scale—although we understand that the number is important to you.

And for those of you who already get it – who have been living this way for long enough that a return to your old, unhealthy, restrictive habits solely in the name of weight loss isn’t even an option (but yes, you still want to lose weight!), keep up the good work, and keep reading. We are hard at work on new, groundbreaking protocols to help those of you who have discovered that lifestyle interventions are just not enough to achieve your big-picture health goals. (And yes, that includes healthy weight loss.)

TOM DENHAM ON WEIGHT LOSS

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4937 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

The Whole30 ban on measuring and weighing applies specifically to you. Your history is not a reason you should get an exception to the ban. Your history is the reason the ban was instituted. Your history and that of people with 834 similar histories.   :) Really. If you were better off knowing how much you weighed every day or every 3 days or every 6 days, etc., that would be part of the plan. 

You can't improve the Whole30 plan by adjusting it to fit your ideas about what is best or necessary. The Whole30 plan works for tens of thousands of people with radically different circumstances. Just settle in and let the plan work for you.

Posted by Tom Denham on 27 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Your first three points suggest that you do not trust the recommendations the book makes for healthy eating. I don't know what more we can say. They work. They are important. They apply to people just like you. You do not fall into a category where we would recommend anything different.

Many people eat too little when they begin a Whole30. I believe that is the diet effect. People think eating less is healthy, so they eat less when they are trying to eat healthy. That bit of conventional wisdom is false. Our bodies require a certain amount of nourishment and we can't be really healthy until we give our bodies what they need.

The great secret to weight loss is gaining the cooperation of our hormones. If we don't eat enough, our metabolism slows and losing weight is difficult. When we eat enough of the right foods and eat on a good schedule, our hormones begin to work in a good rhythm and those of us who need to lose weight start to lose weight because our hormones help us along and don't fight the process. Many people, start to lose weightsteadily after they nourish their bodies adequately and gain the cooperation of their hormones. 

I hate My Fitness Pal. It is not your friend. You make worse decisions about eating when you track your food in MFP while doing a Whole30. I'm not kidding. I've been here for years and no one does better because they use MFP. And it is not as if we expect you to know how much to eat without some help. We provide the meal template as your best guide to how much you should be eating. 

http://whole30.com/d...al-planning.pdf

Follow the meal planning template and you will do well. Now the meal template needs explaining sometimes. When we say fill your plate with veggies, we mean really fill your plate with veggies. Not a thin layer of raw salad that reduces down to almost nothing when chewed, but full of cooked veggies in a generous heap, cooked with plenty of fat to make the food taste good and stay with you for hours. 

And never eat less than a palm-size portion of protein at a meal. And if you are hungry, eat up to two palm-size portions.

You do not have to eat pre- or post-workout meals for short workouts. However, if you find yourself needing to snack on days when you workout, take that as information that you probably should be having at least a post-workout meal.

You do not need to postpone changing your workout until after your Whole30. That would allow for a more precise experiment, but I don't think it will be necessary. Personally, I lost 15 pounds between 2008 and 2010 with exercise and tried the Whole30 because my weight loss had stalled. The Whole30 immediately got me losing weight again and it continued for 15 months in a row before I stopped losing every month. 

It is often difficult for people to accept eating as much protein as we recommend, especially at breakfast and lunch. However, eating protein generously has a very positive effect on our health. Part of why we ask you to do a Whole30 perfectly according to the recommendations is so that you experience the benefits directly. 

And if you eat plates full of veggies like the meal template specifies, you will be getting plenty of fiber.   :)

• Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4927 posts

You can't lose weight looking at the scale every day. It scares the fat when you check frequently and it holds on tighter. 

I'm kind of joking and I am also completely serious. 

And increasing your workouts from 3 hours to 5 hours per week means you have seriously disturbed your system. It is not going to release fat until it knows you will feed it enough to support the extra work. You did start eating more when you upped the number of workouts, didn't you? And you increased the amount of time you devote to active recovery? All this matters. 

So could  this represent Tiger Blood....    Lion Blood......  Broccoli Blood.....?  

The Whole30 Daily today had a quote about Tiger Blood from Charlie Sheen of all people:

“I’m different. I have a different constitution, I have a different brain, I have a different heart. I got tiger blood, man.”

When I went looking deeper,  I got to an interview where he talks about his ability to process large amounts of illegal drugs......  

Please, please tell me that that is not really where the term Tiger Blood came from?!!!!!    I would rather have Broccoli Blood!   

What a coinky dink.....I was just writing about Charlie Sheen!  He's on our collective mind.  I really like Charlie Sheen.

Deb....thank you.

Paris04.jpg

I had to learn this early on, with a few spankings and going off on a 'bing', not a binge....a bing, pouting jags...

I don't throw fits.  I don't pout for very long either.  I was blathering on about the scales, my book...  Oh Brother, it's all so cringeworthy now.   Yuck, I need a bucket.   :P  :P 

I had to get in line.   I do think it's difficult to understand the culture of the program on Days 1-15.   You really have to read the Book and everything on these threads to understand what the Moderators are sharing.   It's contrary to the 'biggest loser' mentality.   This is NOT a competition.  I'm not going to be in competition with anyone here.   

I can clean ceiling fans, walk up and down steep stairs and hills but I'm not going to stack myself up against any of you athletes.   

I'm not going to post befores and afters.  There will not be belly selfies.   I'm not going to talk about weight loss....because frankly, my dears, I'm over it.   It took me 90 days to get to the Head Reset.

The Head Reset is so  more important to me than weight loss.  Melissa and Dallas have said the key to success is Engage the Head.   

Fix the head and the body will follow.

I didn't write my daily food logs because for me that was Groundhog Day.   I'm not an elaborate cook as you know.   My cooking is basic, but I didn't suffer one single day.   I didn't count my steps, log my miles or beat myself up when I couldn't make it out there on the mountain.

Writing to my WD30 friends helped fix my head.  In the beginning of group dynamics, we can be like sandpaper.   It's good.   This way we help polish and shine each other up, smooth those rough edges off.

When you start to think of your lives as more than your body parts....that freight train really starts to move down the tracks.

Sometimes we have to stay in our own lane.   What's working for Deb or Dave or CC, may not work for us.  Deb may want to want to reduce her Yoga classes down from 3 to 1 a week.  :D 

Hey, I'd love be in her class because it would be more fun than you can shake a stick at.

Lolling around on the floor, laughing and driving the teacher to two cups of crazy. :lol: 

Understood and appreciated that the runners look forward to running.   But I know that you may come here with nothing more than weight loss on your minds.   I see extremes all over the threads.   Secret dieters and those who have taken the 'template' and modified it to the point of ketosis.  Eliminating fruits and all starchy vegetables....and some are relying on Larabars for breakfast.   

I can tell they haven't read their books or the written material here.   Throw the scales out and quit obsessing over how much you've haven't lost.   It's only 30 days for crying outloud.

I was not a dieter when I started the W30 and I'm not going to become one now.   I let years of wrong eating creep up on me.   I wasn't aware of what I was doing and I didn't understand how hormones, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome worked against us.

Insulin resistance can lead to diabetes.  I did not want that.   Let me tell you, I nipped that roaring grizzly bear in the bud.   In 90 days, I've reversed the curse of insulin resistance.

That means more to me than weight loss and scales.   I will not be putting up any belly selfies.    I do believe they add to the pressure that our before was a 'bad' reflection and a thin belly is a 'good' reflection of who we really are.   

We are more than our bellies.   We are more than our body parts.

I'm not in a competition and my head reset won't let me focus on the scales and weight now.

We have a head, let's use it for the good of all.  Give back to others who are hurting and reach back to those who are struggling.   I have a heart for those with food addictions.  I hear their heartaches and they don't know how to get out of the loop.

We are more than the sum of our body parts.   We have a spirit.

No amount of weight loss will fix a broken spirit.   

That requires love for others and love for yourself. 

Hawaii06.jpg

This might seem silly, but one of my 'goals' now is to "open every piece of mail". I used to set it all aside and think, "I'll get to that later."

Joni, I'm getting caught up on a lot of posts I wanted to respond to earlier... and this is one if them. I totally relate! I have stacks of unopened mail--and mail that has been opened, glanced at, and put back in its envelope "for later"--all over the house. For the next 30 days, I will join you in the goal of opening, and dealing with, daily mail, AND sorting my stacks of existing mail.

a.

“If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield

I'm a big Jack Kornfield fan. I listen to a lot of podcasts at night when I have trouble falling asleep, and I really enjoy his talks. I believe he is on sabbatical for six months now (or a year? Can't remember) but I still listen to his older talks.

a.

Deb....thank you.

I had to learn this early on, with a few spankings and going off on a 'bing', not a binge....a bing, pouting jags...

I don't throw fits. I don't pout for very long either. I was blathering on about the scales, my book... Oh Brother, it's all so cringeworthy now. Yuck, I need a bucket. :P :P

I had to get in line. I do think it's difficult to understand the culture of the program on Days 1-15. You really have to read the Book and everything on these threads to understand what the Moderators are sharing. It's contrary to the 'biggest loser' mentality. This is NOT a competition. I'm not going to be in competition with anyone here.

I can clean ceiling fans, walk up and down steep stairs and hills but I'm not going to stack myself up against any of you athletes.

I'm not going to post befores and afters. There will not be belly selfies. I'm not going to talk about weight loss....because frankly, my dears, I'm over it. It took me 90 days to get to the Head Reset.

The Head Reset is so more important to me than weight loss. Melissa and Dallas have said the key to success is Engage the Head.

Fix the head and the body will follow.

I didn't write my daily food logs because for me that was Groundhog Day. I'm not an elaborate cook as you know. My cooking is basic, but I didn't suffer one single day. I didn't count my steps, log my miles or beat myself up when I couldn't make it out there on the mountain.

Writing to my WD30 friends helped fix my head. In the beginning of group dynamics, we can be like sandpaper. It's good. This way we help polish and shine each other up, smooth those rough edges off.

When you start to think of your lives as more than your body parts....that freight train really starts to move down the tracks.

Sometimes we have to stay in our own lane. What's working for Deb or Dave or CC, may not work for us. Deb may want to want to reduce her Yoga classes down from 3 to 1 a week. :D

Hey, I'd love be in her class because it would be more fun than you can shake a stick at.

Lolling around on the floor, laughing and driving the teacher to two cups of crazy. :lol:

Understood and appreciated that the runners look forward to running. But I know that you may come here with nothing more than weight loss on your minds. I see extremes all over the threads. Secret dieters and those who have taken the 'template' and modified it to the point of ketosis. Eliminating fruits and all starchy vegetables....and some are relying on Larabars for breakfast.

I can tell they haven't read their books or the written material here. Throw the scales out and quit obsessing over how much you've haven't lost. It's only 30 days for crying outloud.

I was not a dieter when I started the W30 and I'm not going to become one now. I let years of wrong eating creep up on me. I wasn't aware of what I was doing and I didn't understand how hormones, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome worked against us.

Insulin resistance can lead to diabetes. I did not want that. Let me tell you, I nipped that roaring grizzly bear in the bud. In 90 days, I've reversed the curse of insulin resistance.

That means more to me than weight loss and scales. I will not be putting up any belly selfies. They embarrass me. I do believe they add to the pressure that our before was a 'bad' reflection and a thin belly is a 'good' reflection of who we really are.

We are more than our bellies. We are more than our body parts.

I'm not in a competition and my head reset won't let me focus on the scales and weight now.

We have a head, let's use it for the good of all. Give back to others who are hurting and reach back to those who are struggling. I have a heart for those with food addictions. I hear their heartaches and they don't know how to get out of the loop.

We are more than the sum of our body parts. We have a spirit.

No amount of weight loss will fix a broken spirit.

That requires love for others and love for yourself.

MeadowLily, this is all so important! I only started the W30 because I am so tired of feeling so bad. Do I need to lose weight? Sure. But I've done that... over and over and over, and with the keto test strips, and without; with the before and after photos, and without; with the counting of calories or points, and weighing and measuring all food, and without; in a group, either for free or for money, and on my own. I know how to lose weight. I don't know how to feel better.

The doc said for years that my "pre-diabetes" (a consoling myth, by the way) was "diet controllable." But I didn't control anything, and now I officially have type 2 diabetes.

When I was young, up until my mid-twenties, I was slim and atheletic; I was outside more that I was inside, always active. That all changed, slowly, until I was nearly agoraphobic, and definitely a drunk.

In my mid-thirties, I stopped drinking (21 years ago tomorrow, actually), got a decent job, and started being a fully functional member of society once again.

But my body is pretty screwed up. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 35, because of severe endometriosis. So... instant menopause and crazy hormone imbalances. I've had high blood pressure ever since I was in my 20s... "essential hypertension," they call it. Meaning that even when I was thin and active my blood pressure was very high. Today, it is worse, of course. I have a cardiologist now, and I take multiple blood-pressure meds because one or two aren't enough any more.

I was probably bitten by a tick at some point, several years ago, and was treated for Lyme for a long time. That was the beginning of the horrible fatigue, joint pain, brain fog, and so on.

So what's the point of my spewing all of this in this forum? The point is that I want to feel better, I want to take charge of feeling better, and i have to begin by giving my body every possible chance to heal itself. And the book ISWF and the whole9 web site and the whole30 program make more sense to me then anything I've read in a long time. So I'm here, and I'm doing it, and yes, I confess I, too, got trapped into a week or so of "diet head," and weighed myself several times, and I am DONE WITH THAT NOW. No more. I'm writing down what I eat and when, and how I feel on each day, only because it helps me to see connections between my food and my health. I don't weigh or measure anything.

OK, that's more than enough. Meadow, thank you for putting it all so clearly. I'm starting to feel better, so I'm continuing with the w30 eating plan. I'm so glad this group is here. I'm so glad I had breakfast this morning, and did not have two bags of candy for lunch, and am planning on broccoli, asparagus, chicken, potatoes, and fruit for dinner.

ann

Ah, such good stuff here! Deb and Meadow, thanks for the awesome reminders.

I definitely did come to Whole 30 to lose weight. I didn't have "symptoms" to speak of other than the sugar/carb hangover I woke up with every morning, along with a Diet Coke addiction to beat the band.

I have experienced some weight loss, and I'm so grateful for that. However, as I mentioned before, the "obsession of the mind" for food that I've battled for years has been lifted, and that is by far the greatest gift.

My one worry of late is tha Rick and I have started "romancing" the food. Meaning we've been fantasizing about the things we can eat once we're officially done with Whole 30. I think it started with Sam wanting to nail down what Thanksgiving will look like this year :)  I think this is dangerous territory and exactly why I've extended it so long. Someone mentioned 66 days to form a habit. I think I need 7-8 months!!!

Meadow - Charlie Sheen is pure CRAZY!!!  I just had to be courageous and share that with you. NUTS.  :D

072fa465c85a63f6048a9fb2314a4e7e_large.j

Darn it!!!   I missed it!!  

The rain cleared up and we went on our bike ride after all-  great ride with hardly any one out on the trail but us, and some parts under trees starting to feel a bit like fall, with the leaves on the ground  ..... I love fall.

A little girl and her dad were coming in the opposite direction.  She was obviously a  new learner on her pink bike.   She was all over the trail, weaving way over on our side as her dad encouraged "get over on our side, get over!"   She was a bit panicked and we slowed down to give her more time-  and she did it!  Her proud smile when we said "Good job!"  made my day.   

Two wishes:   

1) I wish there was a way to "like" posts more than once.....  all of these deserve a dozen ..

2) I  wish I had more time right now to read through this collected wisdom-  but the Whole30 compliant food wont cook itself, darn it!!   

I foresee a long session catching up with this thread when we get back from the potluck!   

Lynn 

The IOD has given me a benchmark to work with.  There are many things you can make with only one item.  I have learned to take one of Deb's recipes, one day at a time.

Charleston06.jpg

I can handle one daily.   Today, cantaloupe & mango salad.

Fire-Kissed-Cantaloupe-058E_550x.jpg

I was happy to see that there are others who do not plan out all of their meal plans for an entire week.

Posted Today, 03:26 PM

• Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5084 posts

Kandii17, on 31 Aug 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:snapback.png

So. I was going to start the Whole30 Program on Sept 1st...but forgot one issue. I did not set up a meal plan and I am going grocery shopping tonight. Should I still start tomorrow or should I pick another start date? Also, how long should I prep for before starting.

Looking for any helpful advice to get this scatter brain on the ball!

Thank you!!

I've been doing this Whole30 thing since May of 2010 and have never had a meal plan.  :)

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as an unavoidable evil that you have to deal with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at 
Tom Denham's http://www.whole

Allright peeps, I know you've all been waiting excitedly for this IOD and finally its day has come. Yes, tomorrow is the day that we will cook with ORGAN MEATS!!!

Now I know that some of you think this is the grossest thing in the world. But I urge you to just keep an open mind about it. Anyone like liverwurst? Pate? That's all liver, yo. Lengua tacos? My fave. There are also ways to get the nutritional benefits from these parts of the animals' body by sneaking them into recipes where you don't even know they're there. Some of those are below, and look quite yummy.

I will tell you, when I was looking for these recipes, I was surprised that I found A LOT. The paleo community is really eating this stuff. So I think we should join them. Let's live a little! Have an organ!

Here's a great piece from Chris Kresser on the benefits of organ meats:

http://chriskresser.com/how-to-eat-more-organ-meats

And Paleo Mom's tips and tricks for eating more offal WORTH READING

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/05/tips-tricks-eating-offal.html

Ok here we go, stay with me:

My favorite recipe!! I'm always pushing this one because it is so easy and so yummy! 

Chicken Liver Pate (the recipe calls for beef liver but I am happy subbing chicken). 

I don't make the blueberry gelee for the top but I bet it would be really delicious. 

Last time I made it I forgot the coconut oil and it was still good!

This is an AIP compliant recipe and can be made FODMAP free. 

http://www.theprimalist.com/blueberry-balsamic-beef-liver-pate-paleo-aip-fodmap-free/

Steak and Kidney Casserole

http://www.njamworld.com/2011/05/24/steak-and-kidney-casserole/

Passata is pureed canned tomatoes 

http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-tomato-passata-and-how-156321

Beef and Kidney Shepherd's Pie THIS LOOKS GOOD

http://salixisme.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/beef-and-kidney-shepherds-pie-paleo-style/

Beef Liver with Fig, Bacon and Caramelized Onion Compote

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/beef-liver-with-fig-bacon-and-caramelized-onion-compote/

Beef and Liver Chili

http://www.mommypotamus.com/ultimate-beef-liver-chili/

Beef Liver with Parsley Onion and Lemon

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/04/17/beef-liver-with-parsley-onions-lemon/

You Won't Believe Its Liver Liver and Bacon Meatballs

http://thenourishedcaveman.com/paleo-liver-bacon-meatballs/

Chicken Livers with Thyme Garlic and Leeks

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/fried-chicken-livers-recipe-with-thyme-garlic-leeks/

Triple Paleo Meatloaf with Liver

http://fatburningman.com/triple-meat-meatloaf-with-beef-chicken-grass-fed-beef-liver/

Secret Liver Burgers

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/recipe-amys-secret-liver-burgers/

Slow Cooked Beef Heart with Cauli Mash

http://paleoincomparison.blogspot.com/2013/09/crock-pot-beef-heart-with-cauli-mash_27.html

Beef Heart Chili

http://robbwolf.com/2013/01/07/beef-heart-chili/

Bacon Balsamic Beef Kidneys with Mashed Sweet Potato

http://happypaleokids.com/bacon-balsamic-beef-kidneys-mashed-sweet-potatoes/

Grilled Lamb Kidneys with Crispy Sage

http://food52.com/recipes/21982-grilled-lamb-kidneys-with-crispy-sage

Lamb Kidney Kebabs with Sauteed Cabbage

http://www.hueyskitchen.com.au/recipes/3853/lamb-kidney-kebabs-with-maitre-dhotel-butter--sauteed-cabbage

Beef Tongue with Rosemary Mustard Reduction

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/11/beef-tongue-with-rosemary-mustard-reduction.html

Beef Tongue Taco Bites (I serious used to get tongue tacos all the time at the trucks - so good)

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/beef-tongue-taco-bites/

Tender Beef Tongue with Onions and Garlic

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/tender-beef-tongue-with-onions-and-garlic/#axzz3C12tgYHK

Slow Cooker Beef Tongue

http://www.notsodesperatehousewife.com/2012/11/30/roasted-beef-tongue/

Ginger Cilantro Beef Tongue Salad

http://www.thepaleosecret.com/2014/04/paleo-ginger-cilantro-beef-tongue-salad/

Poached Beef Tongue with a Fresh Herby Salad

http://paleo.com.au/2014/04/recipe-poached-beef-tongue-fresh-herby-salad/

Recipe of the Day - Raw Liver Shooters - Dave this one's for you

http://holisticsquid.com/raw-liver-shooters/

AIP

Bacon Beef Liver Pate with Rosemary and Thyme

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/bacon-beef-liver-pate-with-rosemary-and-thyme/

Victorious Offal Muffins and a lot of great offal tips

http://petra8paleo.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/victorious-offal-muffins/

ENJOY!

Ann, not even a tasty fried up liver with ghee, onions, parsley yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Come over to my house and I'll make it for us! 

If we can all stay open to the POSSIBILITY that organ meats MIGHT taste better than we expect and MIGHT, might even give us extra special energy and make us feel really good - I think that would be a great exercise for us all.

Just consider the possibility.

Stay open. 

You don't have to act on it.

Do nothing.

Just - consider.

Possibilities. 

We're opening doors here. No shutting them without looking. Seeing new light coming in. Remember there was once a time when we all said "paleo? that sounds weird"

Stay open to all possibilities in life. 

:D  :D  :D

Read Paleo Mom:

http://www.thepaleom...ting-offal.html

I think liver looks and feels gross ....... but I have also tried it and I think its totally yummy!

Archived