Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I need a lesson on how to post pictures, graphics etc...   Meadow can you do a quick tutorial please?

Lynn, I think there's some copyright issues.  The video...that might be skirting around the same thing.   I have many things that don't post... copyrights.

Ah - one other thought - actually a request for help.... 

I am traveling with my 22 year old daughter this weekend for a baby shower.   I would very much like to share Whole30 with her , but she and I have a bit of an tense relationship when it comes to me "encouraging" her to make healthier choices (I call it encouraging, she call is something different).   I have tried things like talking about how much I love my trainer... and offering to pay for one for her if she is interested... but nothing has inspired her.   

I haven't told her anything about my Whole 30 .... but I will be showing up with a cooler full of  compliant food to make it through the weekend... and I have lost a noticeable amount of weight since she saw me end of July...  and we will have 4 hours each way in a car together, where i am going to be very tempted to "encourage"    

Any ideas on how to play this?     

Mothers and daughters can be very touchy.    Lead by example and I wouldn't make a production out of your cooler or weight loss.   You're not in competition with your daughter and vice versa.   This is the touchy part I'm talking about.

Competition.   Nip that in the bud.   No lectures, no looking each other up and down, no giving each other a pinch with back-handed compliments.   None of the above.

Love the stuffin' out of her and forget about bopping her over the head with your newfound WD30 excitement.  

Don't encourage her with anything "diet related".   Don't go there.   

Remember, this isn't a diet.   We're not supposed to be talking about  the scales and  how much weight we're going to lose by Halloween.  We're not dialing it down and competing with each other.  We're not tightening the screws and throwing it into our loved ones faces.  

No my friends,  STAY Compliant but ACT Humble.  Even if you have to pinch yourself, refrain from telling your relatives how great you're doing.   They won't want you hanging around and you won't get invited to their get togethers.   We can't make them feel guilty.   We'll never win anyone over like that.  Stay Sweet, my friends.

Lynn I totally agree with Meadow, particularly as I have a contentious relationship with my own mother. 

If she told me or encouraged me to do anything I would probably do the opposite. Yes I'm 48 and have had years of therapy. 

I want to do the crossword but am waiting for other peeps to chime in!!!!

I like "authentic". 

Laurie, sorry to hear about Steve being in pain, that is very severe pain if dilaudid doesn't help  :(

I'm glad you've chosen PEACE as your word! 

My favorite blogger reviews a book about ketosis today. For anyone interested in the possibility of a ketogenic diet I found it very interesting!

SORRY link I previously posted was incorrect - here is the correct one:

http://petra8paleo.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/book-review-keto-clarity/

Cutting Remark

"Your new haircut really helps slim your face."

Translation: You have a fat face.

Messed Up

"If only I could be as laid-back as you about all the clutter and chaos."

Translation: Your home's a disaster.

Fashion Faux Pas

"I love how you're not obsessed with personal style.”

Translation: You dress like a slob.

Try, Try Again

"You look so pretty when you put a little effort into your appearance."

Translation: Normally, you're a real plain Jane.

Deb - I tried to pull up your link.

Mothers and daughters and oppositional defiance....heck-a-toot, yes.

Mom..."I can't stand that guy you're going out with".    Welp, Mom, I think we'll get married.

Mom..."I think your girlfriends are on the wild side".    Mom, I want to spent Friday night at their house...

Mom..."I think your clothes are too tight, you need a bigger size".   Daughter is next seen in a sports bra and nightie top.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! 

Meadow, I love the bunkouse... both versions (although my accommodations are pretty darn sweet) suit me perfectly.  I would seriously live like that if I could.  I'm one of those people who thinks the whole "Tiny House" movement is brilliant!

Geminimik - Thankfully I haven't seen Dave's cattle-prod - he must be really busy right now.  I will continue evasive maneuvers. 

Dave - Thanks for waiving the 5k... maybe I'll go run a 5k so I don't feel guilty. Anyone wanna join in?

Laurie - Peace - what a perfect word. I could use a bit of that too.

Deb - I LOVE Mexican food.  Somehow I thought it would be outside this lifestyle. I am excited for these recipes!

Lynn - Authentic seems to be a word that's chosen me the past year or so. It's still a struggle for me in many situations. I think that because I was a people-pleaser for so long, now being authentic can cause some tension and unintended ripples. I have to remember to be kind and thoughtful while staying true to myself. It's not always an easy balance.

On the theme of how we act in relation to this lifestyle, I haven't told many people in my real life.  My kids know I'm doing (was doing?) a Whole30, my partner knows I'm doing something, and a couple people I work with know. That's it. I try hard not to talk about it unless I'm asked. I've noticed that as my energy and vigor return, people are starting to ask.  My partner even said to me a few days ago that she was thinking about doing a "health related challenge" for her employees and wanted to know, "What's that thing you're doing again? Whole something? It's working so well for you I thought we might try that." I was flattered and happy to share all the information about what we're doing here.  I think Bill W. had something with his "Attraction rather than promotion" idea.

Well I'm going to go crash in the bunkhouse for 20 minutes, then maybe off to do that 5k.

Tuni, you have to watch that Dave (I still have bruises) and that's only his words! He's direct but the biggest heart I've ever seen, please don't tell him I said that, he doesn't need anymore compliments from me!

That's why I have lighthouses all over, I'm trying to attract the ships, not affect hostile takeovers. Be the light in the fog...brain fog that is.

m

Jump4life - I like full on confrontation and I'm sure threatening physical harm wouldn't cause any greater divide than you already have. Do you feel that you can physically kick her ass? I mean...in a fair/unfair fight....do you think you could take her? If the answer is yes....beat her into submission...make sure you say things like "I brought you into this world and I can take you out!" Blood loss is weight loss......... So are teeth.............. Sore jaws helps to reduce eating and can also contribute to weight loss. If the jaw is wired shut....more success!

OR.......

Be proud of what you have accomplished with the W30 program. IF....IF....DID I SAY"IF"?.....she asks about how you did it, you can tell her "it was the Whole 30 program". THATS ALL! IF.....IF she asks more.....explain more.....but DO NOT go off on a lecture on the greatness of the program...It's not for everyone! If this doesn't work......re-think the ass- whoopin approach.

All kidding aside.......our little Meadow Lily did a brilliant job of offering excellent advice.

post-43304-0-42693000-1409855075_thumb.j

Dr T how is it going? 

Hi - thanks for asking.  I'm hanging in there - didn't have time to do a cookup before my September 1 start.  Forgot for a moment the morning of Sept 1 and ate a spoonful of my son's spaghetti at breakfast before remembering.  So this whole30 is all about eating frozen leftovers from previous cookups.  Chocolate chili for dinner last night and for breakfast this morning.  Compliant sausage, onions and red peppers for a few meals over the weekend.  Eggs and veggies for breakfast.  No exercise whatsoever unless you count carrying about a billion boxes from the car into the house and then down into the basement.  But, being on a whole30 has kept me from stuffing things into my mouth that I otherwise would have.  I guess the short answer is, yes, it is possible to do a whole30 solely from all the stuff you froze from previous whole30s and didn't get around to eating.

Nothing to crow about but nice to be back on the wagon.  Not having my kids be paleo or whole30 for the moment, though.  Too hard.

Well folks, today is Whole 90 for me.  Lots to reflect on.

The last few weeks of busyness and travel have really impacted me. I've been under vegged, and as result have compensated with "over fruit." I've said before I'm not beating myself up about fruit, but I do notice how much fuller I feel when I'm appropriately vegged. So this morning, I really went back to the template and I'm shocked (but shouldn't be) how much fuller I feel. Planning, planning, planning!

I lost another 4 lbs for a total of 24, and also I've lost about 20 inches. That's crazy, no? This month I lost more inches than lbs, which is ok with me!

The morning I was hanging out with a bunch of gal friends - reconvening after the summer hiatus - and got so many compliments. It was so nice! I did share with them about my weight struggles and how I finally found a plan that helped. That my obession of the mind with food has been lifted. And, importantly, that I no longer identify myself as a compulsive overeater - that is not who I was intended to be, and that is not who I am.

Big shifts, my friends!! 

Went and picked up my new birthday bike today! (My birthday is not until the end of the month but Rick wanted me to have it for my race.) I'm going biking with a friend tomorrow and will send a picture.

Meadow - great wisdom for Lynn's trip! It used to drive me crazy (and make me rebel) when my parents talked about what I ate.

Deb - Looking forward to Mexican!

I'm curious to hear how everyone does with their cooking this week!

I told my husband "I found out what Huckleberry means"  and he said...   "you would have known that if you finished watching Tombstone with me!"  He brought me dinner tonight (mexican!!) at the salon because I didn't make it home for dinner before my hair appt. -  I am really a lucky woman!  

Here's a thought ..... If I am really trying to be authentic, does covering the gray hair present a problem?    

meadow, dave, deb and all-   Thanks for all of the good (though occasionally violent) advice re: my daughter.  I am going to take the high road, lead by example, stay humble, and be ready to pinch myself (but not her) if needed ....and mostly just love the stuffing out of her.   She and her boyfriend just moved into a new house, and I am meeting his parents for the first time, so we will have plenty of other topics for conversation!

Tuni-  hope the 5K was good!  Thanks for the invite, but I dont run... ever... maybe unless I am being chased by one of the bears Meadow is fond of posting. 

CC-  congrats on your Whole90 and on the big shifts (in inches and outlook)  that have come with it.  When is your race?  What kind of race is it?

Joni said:   "I can't tell you how much I look forward to catching up here. This group makes this seem almost effortless"   i couldnt agree more!! 

Hey Lynn - I'm doing an Olympic distance triathlon on September 20: Swim 1 mile, bike 25, run 6.2 miles.

I just noticed that on my birthday weekend they are having an event at our local winery that you can sign up and bike in to the winery and you get a bottle with your name and distance on it. I might join them for the 50 miler!  Rick will be totally bummed to miss it!

CC -  wow that is awe inspiring!  Just this summer we got into biking - I am excited to be up to 10 miles at a time and cant imagine 2.5X that + the run and the swim.    Maybe a winery at the end would motivate me for more miles!!!   Are you contemplating the 50 miler b/c its a milestone birthday?

Archived