Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

Lynn - I meant to say before that your trip to your sister's farm sounds perfect! I love the picture you painted of sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee while watching the rain. Sounds relaxing.

I am so very interested in the whole CSA concept - I'm hoping to join one next year!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynn - your farm holiday must have been amazing.  I have never spent time on a farm but I'd love to have that experience. 

Sissy - congrats on lowering your cholesterol. 

Deb - I'm going to try turnips and rutabaga this week.  Most days I eat too much fruit and not enough veggies.  Introducing new veggies may help me break the fruit addiction.

I am visiting Steve in the hospital again.  I posted about his condition on our other thread.  He is in pretty bad condition - graft vs host disease has affected various parts of his body - skin, eyes, gastro system.  Despite all of this, we got to hug for the first time in 40 days. I feel emotionally drained but I must keep going.  There really is no other choice.

We are approaching the end of our Whole 30.  These 30 days have gone by so fast.  Who is continuing, taking a break or planning reintroduction?  I've been at this since 6/9 (just a few minor errors).  I'll probably keep going.  I don't weigh or measure.  Although I'm on the leaner side (I always feel thick), I have a history of eating disorder issues and depression so numbers freak me out.  I began my 6/9 Whole 30 because I needed to feel that I had some control in life.  I still need that feeling so there is no reason for me to introduce other foods.  I don't really trust myself to eat my favorite foods in moderation.  I just can't do it.  I accept this fact and must make nutritional decisions based on this.  My desire is to do another W30 the way W30 is meant to be done, not just eating compliant foods.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to follow the "spirit" of the Whole 30 but I can keep trying each day.

Sending love and best wishes to all.  Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their W30.

Wait! There's another thread? Is that why it's been relatively quiet on *this* one?

Sissy, the original D30 who came from doing a 6/9 Whole 30, we built up such trust and closeness over that 6/9 that we started a thread where we share about personal stuff. Its not food or Whole 30 centric other than, I suppose, we're all striving for balanced lives. 

And it has been very quiet as well. I think momentum has slowed for everyone. It seems that folks are just kind of graduating back into their own lives. Which really is the goal, so that is awesome. 

Good morning friends!     A slow rainy morning my last day on my sister's farm-   I am "singing as I watch the rain" as I sit at the kitchen table with a warm cup of coffee!   

This has been a lovely break from my hectic, decidedly not farm centric suburban life.    Fabulous food, mostly farm harvested or raised, or raised nearby.   They grow certified organic  vegetables for the CSA shareholders and raise pigs.   They have partners who bring milk, eggs, and pastured chicken and beef to the the farm store for shareholders to purchase.  When dinner time roles around, we "forage" in the fields and barn coolers and freezers to come up with wonderful healthful meals.  It was so easy to fit a Whole30 lifestyle here...  I will miss the ease when I am back home, but I am well fed in body and soul during  my trip here.  We have decide it must be an annual event for me to visit when the farm is active...   prior to this most of my visits have been during deep winter.      

The forum seems to have slowed down and everyone is busy as the Friday close date is approaching.    I am going to continue through Oct 5 to make it a Whole66 but I will weigh in and report results on Friday.    

Dave-  did the crack in the windshield get fixed?   My husband is mourning the start of rain and cold as the 68 Firebird convertible sees less of the road...  we need a lovely long fall so we can enjoy the colors with top down, sweatshirts on!   

Deb-   managed to get most of the IODs in over the course of this farm interlude- not on the assigned days but still rocking it. My fennel citrus salad had fennel literally pulled from the ground, washed and cut!   I am taking more home to make the fennel mint salad.    I am also going to take a pumpkin home to make the pumpkin avocado salsa that Meadow made for her sister... that sounds amazing! And I am adding a butternut squash to make the curried apple butternut soup.  My suitcase will be so heavy!   My sister and I were discussing "if you could only have 10 non-local foods for the rest of your life what would they be?"   Mine are avocado,  coconut milk, coconut oil, macadamia nuts, salmon, wine (!), pistachios,  coco (chocolate), coffee, cumin.   

CC-  countdown mode to the tri-  4 or 5 more days??  I want to hear the stories and live vicariously through you ( I dont run, but I am considering  a row, bike, swim sprint tri next summer)     My son is also slammed with homework-  he is a senior with a bunch of AP classes -   and just told us he plans to wrestle this year!   This is out of the blue b/c he has never wrestled-  he was a swimmer for 9 years and last year decided not to do any sport.  Since he had so much more time he  volunteered a for a group called Miracle league (baseball for kids with challenges), started  to learn sign language to communicate with some of the kids, decided to play piano and is rocking lessons--   and got a job as a docent at a local sculpture park!  I think when we let loose the reins he took of in directions we would never have expected-   cant wait to see where he goes  next!  (although I am not looking forward to being a wrestling mom...  "dont you  hurt him!!"    is probably not the right thing to call out??!!?

Miki-   I saw Cabo got a direct visit from Odile!!!!   Hope all is well in your world and that the sun is now shining again.  BTW,  I want in on  the SoCal Lettuce Show!  

Laurie-  I hope you have had a new fruit to celebrate for Steve's second release?      NOURISH yourself even if his release is delayed. 

Meadow-  the universe... the Rockies...   a quiet forum...  you can shoot the breeze anywhere, anytime!   Were you always like this or is this a Whole30 side effect?  What is Sorel weather?   I have been knitting something here-   my niece taught me again-   I am not quite sure what it is yet but maybe a scarf for your Lil Soph?   For a great song look up Tracy Chapman "Cold Feet".      

Sissy13- .... you are modeling after Meadow with the stealth posts!   Was it a reveal or did I miss something really juicy???

Nanny -   it is averaging about 40 degrees here...  I guess I am splitting the difference between you and Meadow.  Hope you beat back that cold before your cold front came through.  My daughter is also college age-   it has been great forming a more adult relationship with her.   Have you shared your Whole30 with your daughter?

Higs -  enjoy your trip -    is this the backpacking expedition?

DrTracy, Anne, Win and all others-      hope all is well in your world!

Lynn  

Thank you Lynn, cold is gone, just in time for another painful pms, gotta love the immune system.  I am a happy camper waiting for my son's football season starts, 1st game was cancel yesterday due to thunders and rain, and today we are waiting to see if they will cancel again or what, weather looks good so far, but rain in the forecast.  My husband always wanted my lil one to wrestle, thank God he never showed interest, the closest was Taekwondo.  Daughter and I share a lot of diet/nutrition, even when she after all goes to college to eat waffles, she says she eats less gluten, but not sure if able to give it up all one day, I just hope it happens. She is in a good shape, being a runner since first grade.

Best wishes for you, I love your adventures in the farm and all the goodies you are taking back with you!!!

Sissy, the original D30 who came from doing a 6/9 Whole 30, we built up such trust and closeness over that 6/9 that we started a thread where we share about personal stuff. Its not food or Whole 30 centric other than, I suppose, we're all striving for balanced lives. 

And it has been very quiet as well. I think momentum has slowed for everyone. It seems that folks are just kind of graduating back into their own lives. Which really is the goal, so that is awesome. 

Wise words, Deb.

They've moved on with the next leg of the journey...living with their food reset.

We've been building normal relationships with food and exercise.

84724036709495006_7WiEH3Lh_f.jpg

I wish you love, peace and happiness in everything you do as you journey on through life.   

Climb to the top of every mountain that life brings your way.

Bon Voyage.

Thank you, your words always kind and inspiring. I want to be your friend, when are you moving to Houston? hehehe

Thank you so much for all your recipes, comments, messages, you ROCK

Gals/Gents safe flying... I think I need someone here in the real world to help me be accountable with myself.  And that statement is like admit failing, but withall the health issues, when pain is present, I can eat too many fruits or dates and ruin my day on that. Still be compliant but not at the same time. I will start again on Monday, and keep doing it the best. I have bought less fruits and no smoothies this week, sighhhh.  The 4 nodules in my neck at least kept me in check with food compliance, but I can do better than this, I need to.

Thank you for all of you who welcomed me here during your/our amazing journey. Best to all of you!

"Whole 30 Tower....this is Dirty 30 for final approach"

"Dirty 30......Whole 30 Tower.....You are cleared for landing on runway Two Eight Zero"

"Roger...Two Eight Zero"

Cockpit discussions:

Landing lights - ON

Gear - Down and locked

Spoilers - Set

Flaps - 10%

"Ladies and Gentleman .......please make sure your tray and seat backs are in the upright position. Stewardesses.......prepare for landing!"

Reducing airspeed to 180 knots....flaps to 20%........engaged ILS,  on glideslope. Downwind turn to the Northwest....intercepting Two ....Eight...... Zero!

"thump thump"

"Max reverse for throttles.....applying brakes......flaps full.......deploying spoilers..........airspeed. 90 knots at midfield......."

"Dirty 30.......exit ramp Delta and proceed to terminal"

"Roger Tower, exit Delta ramp....proceed to terminal"

"Ladies and Gentleman.....we have reached our destination.......this flight appears to have been one of the smoothest and I thank my wonderful assistants Deb, Miki, Meadow and the rest of our passengers and crew. I hope you have enjoyed this journey and don't forget to go to baggage claim after departing the aircraft. Do NOT be surprised if you have less baggage than what you started with. It was an honor being your Captain.......we received not ONE visit from any moderators during our journey, meaning we were well prepared, well staffed, and had exceptional adventurers with us along the way. Please make sure to come back to the "Dirty 30 Best Group on W30" thread which is found under "Forums" and then look under "Reintroductions". We can use that thread to brag about our many successes. I hope this has been 30 days that were worthwhile in helping you find a healthier life, finding your "Best Friend" in the mirror, learning to like and love yourself, finding the support that you needed and some great recipes, food, and friends along the way! Thanks again!

Captain Dave

Good morning friends!  

Typically I am very glad to see a flight end and am impatiently waiting for those ahead of me to disembark.  Today I find myself reluctant....  I have so enjoyed this journey with all of you and am wishing the flight could be just a bit longer!   I just want to sit in this seat and visit with all the new friends that I have found on this flight until the cleaning crew comes in and they turn off the lights.     But the captain has announced that there a connecting flight waiting.....   so here I go, taking my best friend with me.  Cant wait to see who else has the same itinerary......   

Safe travels and wonderful discoveries to all!    

Lynn 

Hi, kids. Did you miss me? :-)

I have been maintaining the W30 plan, and am continuing on for the next 30? 60? 90? Whatever it takes. I am very tired and having a lot of headaches, going to bed early, and one of the things that has slipped away is this group... I'm very sorry about that, and I miss "hearing" you all. So I'm posting this status update, and then I'm going back and catching up on ALL your posts.

So ... I am definitely doing the right thing by making my 30-day experiment a 60-, 90-, or 120-day experiment. Things continue to change and improve, both physically and mentally/emotionally.

For example, during the first three or four weeks, I woke up every day feeling quite nauseated and NOT hungry at all. I made a point of eating as soon as I possibly could, but sometimes that took a couple of hours. Now, in the last 7 to 10 days, I've been waking up HUNGRY, not nauseated, and I eat a fairly big meal that keeps me quite content for four to six hours, depending on what I'm doing during those hours. My brain and body seem to have decided they like morning fuel. Cool.

Headaches are actually less predictable now, though of course predictability doesn't mean "good." Before I started this experiment on August 1st, I had a headache, very predictably, every night by about 7:00. I took Tylenol or Excedrin EVERY night when I went to bed, and took some more most mornings when I woke up around 5:00, then back to bed for a couple of hours. Now I'm sleeping some better, though still not as well as I would like to. No headaches most nights before bed, but morning headaches are actually worse... unlikely to be diet-related, in my opinion, so I'm going to have our fabulous orthodontist check my retainer, AND it is time to replace mask, filters, etc. on my cpap. Oh yeah, and actually USING the cpap more regularly would be a good idea.

I've gotten over my reluctance to eat veggies, including ones I've never had before (today's experiment will be... JICAMA.) Plantains, spaghetti squash, spinach, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and more now appear on my plate daily. Kale and collards await me in the freezer. Tomatoes and potatoes are both in the nightshade family, and I've been eating both almost daily. Lots of people are sensitive to nightshades, so I'm cutting way down on those for the next two weeks to see if the headaches diminish... just a test.

I haven't (yet?) experienced the huge bursts of energy that some people get when they abstain from sugar and grains (wheat and corn, especially), but I've been very unkind to my body for a very long time, so perhaps that is a benefit yet to come.

So that's the six-week update. I'm about 12 or so pounds down, and my jeans fall down if I don't wear a belt. Weight loss is a great side effect of this plan, but my main goal, as Whole30 folks say over and over, is to "change my relationship with food." I still have a long way to go after a lifetime of bad habits, but I'm definitely improving.

ann

Ann - You were very much missed!

Read Dave's post above and be sure to join over on the Reintroduction thread.

Great to hear your update - and falling down pants is a great problem to have!

Just to commiserate, I did not feel the Tiger Blood my first round. This second round, I believe I have achieved it. If not, it must be pretty darn close because I am just feeling so much better this time.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Hi Everyone!

Today I did my last bike ride before the tri on Saturday. It was short - only 25 minutes - but I averaged 16.5mph! I got some new tips and tricks last week and they seem to be working!

I am looking forward to reintroductions this time - Saturday is my Whole 105.  My choice: half and half in my coffee. We'll see how I feel, but I think that one reintro would make travel much easier for me! I like the coconut milk, but it's not very portable. I've checked into coconut non dairy creamers, but they typically add sugar.  I am also planning to have some ice cream for my birthday on the 28th.

On the 27th we're doing our 50 mile bike ride to the winery. I don't think that's the day for an alcohol reintro.  :D

I look forward to hearing everyone's Whole 30 reflections!!

Archived