Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, all. I have been stalking... errr,following, yeah, following your previous Dirty 30 thread and enjoying the heck out of it (after I figured out that my browser wasn't messing up, Meadow really does go back and delete her posts on a semi-regular basis; that fact alone made me keep up with the posts so I could see all the good stuff before it disappeared).

Anyway. My name is Ann, I'm 55, I am on Day 22 of my first W30 and need to extend it for a few reasons, so I would love to hang out with you. I don't have a leotard, but I do have a fabulous leopard Snuggie that I got at a holiday potluck last year... perhaps that will suffice?

Let's see... I've read the book ISWF, I've studied it; I've been cooking from Well Fed 2 and working on simplifying my shopping & cooking to a few faves, without getting into too much of a rut.

Need to extend because: about 10 days in I made mashed potatoes for my sweetie, just cooked potato and ghee. They were a little dry, so I splashed in some half-and-half, tasted, added salt and pepper, tasted, hmmmmm, still a little dry, splashed a little more, tasted... well crap that was DAIRY! Never even occurred to me until it was waaaay too late.

The other reason I am extending is because some long-standing health issues are proving to be more entrenched that I thought, and some old symptoms that have been gone for literally years have resurfaced, much to my dismay. So I want to give the endocrine system a little more time to get its shit together.

TL/DR. My name is Ann and I'm 55; diagnosed last year with Type 2 diabetes, darn it;living on toast and bags of jelly beans right before I started the W30 on August 1, 2014; rediscovered that I love some veggies; want to come and be with you all for support and irreverent fun... may I?

Ann - welcome.  Looking forward to getting to know you.

Dawner - interesting to read that we are similar.  Any words of wisdom?   I also go back to crappy foods when I'm not on track and then wonder why I do this.  Right now I would love to eat a whole box of Lucy's gluten free chocolate cookies (my favorite cookies).  However, I don't want pilot Dave to yell at me or kick me off his plane.

The first winter snow is not far away.  Our high today is only 55 degrees.  It's going to be a winter just like last year.   

I'm not a groundhog...but I know about the old ways.  The clouds are socking the mountains in and when they clear, I know I'll see snow.

Bear and I have heard the crickets for 2 weeks.  They are your weather prognosticators.

Crickets know more things about the weather forecast than that tv channel we watch.

Meadow, we're coming up on my very favorite time of year.  I love the transition between summer and fall.  There has been a hint of it in the air this week here too, even though it's 80 degrees... but the light has that fall gold color and there is a certain smell to it.

October is my favorite month when fall is in full swing and the air has a snap to it (plus it's my birthday month).  I want to do a fall/winter W30 for all the hearty soups and stews.

p.s.  I LOVE crickets.  Here's one from my yard.  post-46753-0-27133100-1408717510_thumb.j

Ann, I know about insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome.   Ann, if you'll stick with it, the Whole 30 will kick it right in the arse!

Meadow, that's what I am hoping for. It will take some time, I know, but I believe this is the right way for me to go. This Whole30 is the first time I've been truly motivated and engaged in not only the letter but the spirit of a plan.... you know, no fake treats; no fruit-as-dessert, only fruit with meal; veggies, veggies, veggies, not just MEAT; more focus on health than weight-loss.

I'm feeling pretty crappy physically still, but I didn't get here overnight and I'm not going to get better overnight, either. I am NOT eating sugar, I'm resting when I need to, and I'm pretty happy overall. Exercise, not so much, but I am occasionally walking our two little dogs.

ann

Higs, that cricket was in your yard?   That looks like one you see in the high plains,  one of ours....had no idea that type would live in OR.   :lol: 

Yes, it was in my yard. I'm not sure if it's the Mormon type or a field cricket.  I usually only see them in the fall when they come out to lay eggs.

Archived