Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

Ann - welcome.  Looking forward to getting to know you.

Dawner - interesting to read that we are similar.  Any words of wisdom?   I also go back to crappy foods when I'm not on track and then wonder why I do this.  Right now I would love to eat a whole box of Lucy's gluten free chocolate cookies (my favorite cookies).  However, I don't want pilot Dave to yell at me or kick me off his plane.

Welcome Ann, you are in the exact right place!

Hi Laurie - I always say treat yourself like you would treat your bestie....so when she says "I only ran 3 miles and I wanted to run 5, I'm such a loser"  I say, " don't worry about it, chalk it up to a bad day and you will conquer it next time!"  Instead when I talk to myself I say "I suck, I'm a loser, I'm gonna be fat and miserable for the rest of my life" - soooooo......we should really stick with what we would say to a best friend!! We deserve to be good to ourselves, I'm learning that I am important damn it, and I want to live a healthy, happy, long life and I am responsible for that.  Just keep telling yourself how amazing you are no matter what you do or don't do.

I took care of my husband for 9 months at age 25/26 with cancer with 2 small children, I feel your intense pain and your love..... cry when you need to, talk when you need to, take warm baths, have hot tea, think about how much you love each other and be so grateful because not everyone has what we have.  Ask for help.  I'm praying my ass off for you as well....seriously, happy to talk off of here if you ever want to or need to.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Friday everybody,

Still in adapting mode but with all of you motivated here. I invited my sister to come on board with me, and she thinks this is way too hard to do it all at the same time,  I have been gluten free since last October 2013. And my big enemy sweets, not in the form of plain sugar or cakes, but dates, fruits, stevia, I can seriously over do it, specially on "those" days... This has to come to an end. Just gotta think that sugar feeds cancer, and that should get me going strong. I can do this.

Laurie (((hugs and positive thoughts)))) your way.

Thanks CCLaymon and Geminimik for the shout outs. I loved all the asparagus recipes :-)

David, what part of Texas are you coming to? I am in Houston.

Have a wonderful weekend. Tuna salad with boiled eggs for lunch, celery and homemade mayo.

Take care :-) Stay Strong.

Meadow, that's what I am hoping for. It will take some time, I know, but I believe this is the right way for me to go. This Whole30 is the first time I've been truly motivated and engaged in not only the letter but the spirit of a plan.... you know, no fake treats; no fruit-as-dessert, only fruit with meal; veggies, veggies, veggies, not just MEAT; more focus on health than weight-loss.

I'm feeling pretty crappy physically still, but I didn't get here overnight and I'm not going to get better overnight, either. I am NOT eating sugar, I'm resting when I need to, and I'm pretty happy overall. Exercise, not so much, but I am occasionally walking our two little dogs.

ann

Where is the I can find this Extra Special Breakfast Recipe? Thanks a lot

It is the right way and it works.   If you've been dealing with it for a few years, it's going to take more than 30 days.  Go to Tom the Moderator and read everything he's ever written about what I call the "Extra Special Breakfast".   It is extra special and it's changed my life.   Read all of it while you're at it.   I absorbed it like a sponge, took it to heart and now it's in there to stay.

How can I find this?  I'm def interested but evidently not that forum saavy.....lol

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20826-did-you-find-yourself-sweeter-and-kinder-after-whole30-reintro/page-10

It's in here....Dawner, Nanny, Ann.

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4927 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Some people use bulletproof coffee to avoid eating food, a way to stave off hunger with fat calories and caffeine. This approach is nearly opposite of what we want you to do during a Whole30. We want you to eat a substantial breakfastwithin one hour of waking in the morning.Eating a real food breakfast when you wake up does good things to your hormonal rhythms and sets you up for better digestion and better sleep. We don't ban bulletproof coffee during a Whole30, but if you are looking to maximize your Whole30 experience, I can assure you that bulletproof coffee will not help. 

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4927 posts
If you want to read a good book, read The Perfect Health Diet, 2nd edition by the Doctors Jaminet. The problem is not excess protein being converted to glucose. You would die if your body ran out of glucose, by the way. The problem is excess protein being converted to enough ammonia to be toxic. According to the Perfect Health Diet, the ideal range of protein is between 1/2 and 1.5 pounds per day. If you follow the Whole9 meal-template and eat a portion of meat as big as the palm of your hand at least three times per day, you will be eating well within the ideal protein range. In fact, you could eat two palm-size portion of meat three times per day and be eating well within the ideal range. The chapter on protein in PHD has a lot more interesting stuff, but this is the practical "meat" of the narrative. Another by the way, it is difficult to eat too much protein when you are eating real food. You can eat too much protein powder easily, but chewing real food takes enough time that most people will stop before they go too far.

The recommendations of the Whole9 meal template put you inside the ideal range for all the macro-nutrients. However, missing a gall bladder may make digesting the ideal human diet challenging for you. The idea of using digestive enzymes to help sounds good to me, but you probably need to talk with a knowledgeable doctor about such things. I say knowledgeable because some doctors may tell you to eat lower fat even if you would be better off getting 50 percent of your calories from fat and taking digestive enzymes to help with digestion. I would tell anyone with a gall bladder to follow the plan as outlined, but I don't know if being without a gall bladder calls for adjustments in what you eat.

One of the things I really like about the Perfect Health Diet is its discussion of an ideal range for what we eat. Obviously we can eat too much of some foods, but we can also eat too little of some foods and cause trouble too. So when you ask if you should eat less of something, I would have to say, "Less in reference to what?" You can eat too few carbs, too little fat, and too little protein. 

Posted by Tom Denham on 27 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Your first three points suggest that you do not trust the recommendations the book makes for healthy eating. I don't know what more we can say. They work. They are important. They apply to people just like you. You do not fall into a category where we would recommend anything different.

Many people eat too little when they begin a Whole30. I believe that is the diet effect. People think eating less is healthy, so they eat less when they are trying to eat healthy. That bit of conventional wisdom is false. Our bodies require a certain amount of nourishment and we can't be really healthy until we give our bodies what they need.

The great secret to weight loss is gaining the cooperation of our hormones. If we don't eat enough, our metabolism slows and losing weight is difficult. When we eat enough of the right foods and eat on a good schedule, our hormones begin to work in a good rhythm and those of us who need to lose weight start to lose weight because our hormones help us along and don't fight the process. Many people, start to lose weight steadily after they nourish their bodies adequately and gain the cooperation of their hormones. 

I hate My Fitness Pal. It is not your friend. You make worse decisions about eating when you track your food in MFP while doing a Whole30. I'm not kidding. I've been here for years and no one does better because they use MFP. And it is not as if we expect you to know how much to eat without some help. We provide the meal template as your best guide to how much you should be eating. 

http://whole30.com/d...al-planning.pdf

Follow the meal planning template and you will do well. Now the meal template needs explaining sometimes. When we say fill your plate with veggies, we mean really fill your plate with veggies. Not a thin layer of raw salad that reduces down to almost nothing when chewed, but full of cooked veggies in a generous heap, cooked with plenty of fat to make the food taste good and stay with you for hours. 

And never eat less than a palm-size portion of protein at a meal. And if you are hungry, eat up to two palm-size portions.

You do not have to eat pre- or post-workout meals for short workouts. However, if you find yourself needing to snack on days when you workout, take that as information that you probably should be having at least a post-workout meal.

You do not need to postpone changing your workout until after your Whole30. That would allow for a more precise experiment, but I don't think it will be necessary. Personally, I lost 15 pounds between 2008 and 2010 with exercise and tried the Whole30 because my weight loss had stalled. The Whole30 immediately got me losing weight again and it continued for 15 months in a row before I stopped losing every month. 

It is often difficult for people to accept eating as much protein as we recommend, especially at breakfast and lunch. However, eating protein generously has a very positive effect on our health. Part of why we ask you to do a Whole30 perfectly according to the recommendations is so that you experience the benefits directly. 

And if you eat plates full of veggies like the meal template specifies, you will be getting plenty of fiber.   :)

What can I do to make my Whole30+ as successful as possible?

"While you can’t control every circumstance you encounter during your 45/60/90 days, there are certain steps you can take to create an environment of success for yourself.  Mental preparation, careful planning and a willingness to be flexible are key to surviving your extended Whole30. 

Our advice: 

• "Get your head in the game before you start. List the various circumstances you might face during this time and come up with a plan for how to negotiate them. Include food options, how you might answer potential questions, and how you can get yourself out of the situation if you feel like you’re losing control.
  • Build a support system of people who know you well, and can help talk you through the tough times. They don’t have to be working the program with you, but they do need to understand how important this goal is to you. Take advantage of this often—don’t wait for a tough situation to reach out.
  • Know that there are going to be times when you just have to make it work. Give yourself permission to eat a meal made completely of disjointed ingredients, scope out some grab-and-go options at your local grocer for food on-the-fly, and don’t beat yourself up if a new recipe turns out to be a flop."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/08/whole30-plus/#sthash.PZy818jG.dpuf

"There is a difference between "I'm never hungry in the morning, so I just skip breakfast every day" and "I deliberately, intermittently fast occasionally during my week." The first tells me your hormones are dysfunctional, and skipping breakfast every day isn't going to fix 'em. In addition, unless you're making an enormous conscious effort to get all of your daily calories crammed into two meals a day, you're under-feeding yourself, which is only feeding into that hormonal dysfunction loop.

Many folks use "IF" (or "JNE" - just not eating) as a shortcut to weight loss, or a compensation for metabolic issues. This is not advisable for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that things get far, far worse instead of getting better when you add an intensely stressful protocol like IF or JNE on top of an already disrupted, over-stressed system.

However, if your Health Equation is in line, you are fasting truly intermittently, and you take pains to ensure you are adequately nourishing yourself with calories and nutrients during your feeding windows, I don't have a problem with this approach. The trouble is, there are very few people with all of their life "factors" in line enough to attempt to add IF - and it's dangerous to play around with if you've got other stuff going on in your context.

So to the OP, sounds like you've got it dialed in, and I'm good with that. "

"Melissa Hartwig"

photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759 Posted by Tom Denham 

Having read another of your posts, I think your weight loss goals are far too aggressive for someone whose body looks like yours. You are not eating enough to nourish your body. Not eating enough means that your metabolism slows to protect you from starvation. This makes losing fat very difficult. The best approach is to eat according to our meal planning template, which supports a good hormonal response in your body. 

I suppose you are talking about Bulletproof Coffee made with ghee and coconut oil. This drink is acceptable during a Whole30, but not as a replacement for breakfast the way many people use it. Fortified coffee does not come close to meeting the Whole30 meal template standards of protein, fat, and veggies at meal. 

The high blood pressure had nothing to do with eating eggs or meat. Eating foods that contain cholesterol has very little to do with the levels of cholesterol in your blood. Though doctors often propagate this particular myth, people with high cholesterol are making it in their livers, not eating it at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

"Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain *perceives* the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it's that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.

You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out.

I don't have an affinity for pancakes either, and I could eat Paleo pancakes without having it send me into a craving spiral. But the rules are the rules, and all we ask is that people follow them for 30 days. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best success possible. What you choose to do after the month is up is entirely up to you.

I hope this helps to explain our position. "

Melissa 

THIS IS GREAT!  Thank you for finding this and sharing it with us Meadow.  It gives me great guidance.  I'm the type of person that read ISWF, did the shopping list, the recipes in the book, the meal planning resources and everything by the book when I did my first Whole30. Then when I did it the next time and little more lax and so on...I need to get back to basics and this has really helped.  When I start my Whole30 October 6th I am following this, I really look forward to it.  (I have to have pasta & bread in Italy) so October 6th will be my start date, until vaca paleo works but not many sugars at all, just need to keep my training regimen for 2 more weeks!

Thanks again Meadow!

The physical processing of the sugar completes within a matter of hours. The emotional processing can take days or even weeks. Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5033 posts

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as an unavoidable evil that you have to deal with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at 
Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

Meadow, great posts, a hard act to follow  :P I had to up my IOD advertising  ;) 

Great reminders of what this is really all about. I don't like a lot of cooked veggies so that is a tough one for me, the mountain of veggies on the plate. Speaking of mountains of veggies .....

What is everyone making with their asparagus today?

Do share the delish.

Meadow, pretty sure Dave asked you if you were addicted to crack. I do love the image of you dancing in the yard for Sophia. Your descriptions of fall coming are lovely. You are really up high for it to happen so early. You are our resident rules and spirit of W30 guru I love love love it. 

Dave! You misunderstand my sentence structure. Must be that Queens English that I speak. It is all PG at my house with the ex. Here’s a typical pic of a night in with him, from last night. I ignore his rock star aspirations but Le Grand enjoys the concert. Yes, LG is on the coffee table. Very unusual.   :rolleyes: 

post-44893-0-06198400-1408728523_thumb.j

No seriously we both enjoy a singalong. 

Rosann Rosanna danna I hope you are macaroning away and walking the town!.

Rosie Rose, we jones for your posts, the drip feeding doesn’t work, it’s a banquet, a feast of Rose we need after that famine! (no pressure   :) )

CC, you sound GOOD. I love judging people’s baskets at the store haha. I make up whole life stories for them based on what they have. The other day I had 2 gifts to buy – bday present for my boss (the man who has everything) and thank you for a co worker. I bought 6 bars of 70% chocolate (he loves) and a bottle of wine (she loves). That’s all I bought. The cashier looked at that and then looked at me and went “Good for you!!” And I was like WHAT! NO! NOT FOR ME! I also look to see if anyone else might be doing W30. Love that your pork was good!! And the cauli popcorn…yeahhhhhh! I love that you are sticking with the IOD!

Higs it is truly so good to have you back. Sorry about that tooth! Gold is the best, they say. Wow, fall in the air, I love your and Meadow’s descriptions. Here in LA, October can be one of the hottest months of the year, so we are nowhere even close to that.  But we do get our boots out come November and act like its fall! When I lived back East October was always my favorite month – just getting cozy and the anticipation of fun social holidays coming up. Definitely not the same here. 

Miks, boredom eating, I feel ya. I have been known to just wander into the kitchen and stand in front of the fridge staring hopefully. These days there’s nothing enticing for boredom eating, which is good! Someone sent me a card at the hospital and I never got it  :(  Maybe we should send one to Laurie’s address as well to be safe?

Laurie Lou, I am glad Steve’s Mom is there 24/7 (although that might kill me personally faster than anything else  ;) ). I feel privileged to be sharing this journey with you and Steve and inspired by you both. I’m hopeful that he starts to feel even a little better very soon. I can’t even imagine how he feels, I’m sure that your mutual love is one of the things keeping him going.  I LOVE THAT YOU WROTE TO YOURSELF! That is a good exercise for us all, to speak to ourselves as we would a good friend. You are absolutely 100% good enough. ALWAYS. 

Yes, John and I are fortunate with our friendship but we have definitely had our post divorce ups and downs, arguments, long stretches without communication, and plenty of therapy along the way. He is a different person than he was in many ways, also 36 instead of 23, it helps  :lol: .

Cara, how are you and how is Mum?

Dawner, you go on the 11.5 mile run! And, what you said to Laurie.

Jen, Outdors – how is it going? Any good potato/asparagus or other stories?

WELCOME ANN we love stalkers. LOVE THE LEOPARD SNUGGIE. I couldn’t buy a snuggie because I would wear it every single day. Sounds like you have your head on straight about Whole 30. How good is toast? I miss it. BUT the feeling better is worth it. Peeps on this very group have seen dramatic changes in their bloodwork etc just from eating this way. It will work.

Nanny, my empathy for the sugar beast within. I have been gf since 2011 but managed to capably translate all my favorite sugary treats into gf df marvels made with coconut sugar. I feel ya. W30 has cured that by its grain free nature but dates ohhhh dates.

As for me, I am a lil bit all work no play right now, but still planning to stick to 3 yoga classes a week, lots of meditation and working on seeing auto immune diagnosis as a gift. Those are my big W30 goals this time around. I just had a big salad for breakfast, lots of chicken, greens, herbs, so good. I am SUPER excited for my rendezvous with Miki on Sunday!!!!

All right my friends, so far only some minor turbulence on this 30 day flight, good flying Captain Dave.

Tiger Blood!

You’ve hit the downhill slope of your Whole30 and life is beautiful—which means different things for different people. For some (generally people who came to the program eating well, exercising regularly, and feeling pretty good to begin with), Tiger Blood means someone flipped a switch and turned on the awesome. Energy is through the roof, cravings are under control, clothes are fitting better, workouts are stronger.

For others, this Tiger Blood stage feels more like a real sense of self-efficacy. It doesn’t mean things are perfect (or even easy), but you’re proving to yourself that you can do this, things are getting better, and you’re seeing improvements (small or large) almost daily. Your energy is steadier, you’ve got a firmer handle on the cravings, and you’re experimenting with new, delicious foods.  You may notice that your ability to focus is keener, your body composition is changing, your moods are more stable, you’re stepping up your exercise, or you’re just plain happier these days.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.byJutHKE.dpuf

It's not bragging if it's true...this is where it's at, y'all.

Hello!!! I've been lurking around for a few days, but since you all are such fun, I'll speak up! My day 1 was not too fun, but I expected as such and can't complain. The start of this flight is also the start of school for the kiddos and a busy week at work. Oh how I would have loved to dig into any single one of those cakes that you were posting last night! The couple of weeks prior to yesterday were completely off the rails, so I know that I'm in for some fun in the next couple of weeks. More headaches and 8:30pm bedtimes. The 8:30 bedtime is totally appealing and something I'm actually looking forward to, if I'm being honest. The headaches, I know they'll be gone soon enough and I'll be better off! Hope everyone is having a great day 2.  

Archived