Just started 3rd Whole30

Juice06870

I'm on day 3 of my 3rd whole30.  (first one was may/june 2013, 2nd one was jan 2014)  

It's been the best thing that ever happened to me in regards to my health, fitness, physique and self confidence stemming from body image.  I generally followed a paleo lifestyle after completion of each of the previous ones and my plan was to do this 3rd one back just prior to the summer time.  But my work and personal schedules had way too many things going on that I didn't want to miss out on in the sense that I couldn't indulge in a few drinks or a special meal when needed.  

The problem was that I ended up indulging a bit too much over the course of the summer because I knew in the back of my head that at some point I would start my whole30 and get back to business.  So aside from gaining a couple of extra lbs, rather than trimming them off, the big problem I was facing was the lethargy and brain fog that crept back in. It was getting harder to get out of bed in the morning, I found myself having the 3pm slump in some afternoons.  Basically I was missing the tiger blood that I had gotten used to having most of the time.  

So I'm getting back in the saddle now, I'm fully committed to getting my self back to where I want to be physically and mentally.  I just need to find some time to prep some meals in advance so I am not cooking everything to order like I have been doing these first 2.5 days.  

I'm very much looking forward to sleeping better, getting up and bouncing out of bed like a toddler again, and just feeling great overall.

I'm afraid of that mindset too.  I can indulge now and Ill get back to it kinda thing. Same feeling as Ill start my "diet" Monday attitude. Which I've done for so many years until I discovered this whole 30 lifestyle.

How do you get out of this mindset after a little indulgence?

It's not easy, it takes time to get back into the mindset (at least for me).  But once I am there, I am committed.  Some of it stems from the guilt of waiting too long to do it - IE pretty much all summer.  And some just stems from the motivation to get myself back on track to where, after this Whole30, I'll still have no problem indulging, but it would be a one time thing and then I would get right back on track...rather than indulging at one meal...and then the next day maybe indulging once again....and then 2-3 days later...you get the idea.  It adds up.  Especially when you add a few drinks (or more) to the picture.  I think that's been my biggest problem, and will make the biggest difference during these 30 days.  

It's not easy, but it's really not hard either.  So long as we are prepared with stuff at home in the fridge, and have a good plan in case we are out at a restaurant or some other social setting.

My first test is this weekend already, I need to go out of town for some family matter, probably for 2 nights.  Normally when I visit the family in this particular area, they like to go eat at the chinese buffet and places called "The Hot Dog Ranch" and "King Kone".  So you can guess how challenging this can be.  But I'll try to pack plenty of food, and make gentle suggestions that we try 'something different' in terms of restaurants...so hopefully we are someplace that has items that are on plan.  I am doing some research already and found a couple of interesting places...

For sure preparation is key! Im going our of town this week for vacation and a wedding. So I will defintly be challenged! I just hope I stay srong and not let that "vacation" mindset in lol...Hey im on vacation I can relax lol uh oh. But my hubby knows that Im trying to stick to plan. So it does help when our loved ones are on board! He likes the fact that I packing stuff that we can both enjoy and stay on plan, hes even given me suggestions..."hey cook those chicken strips so we can take that on the road" I looked at him in astonishment, he usually the kind of guy lets stop and get fast food on the road! So I think Im rubbing off on him lol :lol:

+1 here! I'm on my second day of my second Whole30! Did my first last january. :)

I'm psyched to - as you say - get back in the saddle! I've also gone a bit crazy during summer... ehe... And it's my first step back since I began my weightloss journey in June 2012. My mindset around food has changed back a bit,to the way i used to think when I was (more) overweight, so i really need this again! A little reminder, sort of, of how my head works when I'm healty for "real", and that it's worth sticking with... 

Anyway- good luck, the third times a charm?! ;):) 

I'm on day 4 now.  So far so good.  Not hungry between meals, no major urges to have a handful of nuts or something here or there.  Although by the time I got home from work last night aroudn 6pm, I was feeling pretty tired with a small headache.  I had some dinner and went to the gym.  Workout was just ok, nothing to write home about.  Had a small PWO snack and hit the sack.  Feeling better so far today though.

I am not sure if it is a result of the Whole30, or just a hectic business trip from Tuesday-Sunday finally catching up with me.  I guess we'll see how the next day or 2 go.  But I am starting to feel a bit better already, in the sense that I'm not feeling bloated or lethargic from some crazy meal, or a bunch of cocktails.   I eat my meals, I feel comfortably full.  That's a good thing.  

Archived