Coconut milk sensitivity?

Is it possible to be sensitive to coconut milk? I've honestly never had it before in my life and got some over the weekend and we made green curry shrimp out of it (made sure the paste was compliant), the following morning I had diarrhea, figured it was the "spice". This morning I decided to mix a little bit in with my eggs and about 3 hours after breakfast I had severe cramping and diarrhea again. Could it be the coconut milk?

The only other thing I can thing is both times I had shrimp as well, could it be shrimp? Is it just something I need to play around with to find the root cause?

A little background, this is my first Whole30, I'm on day 9, I also do not have a gall bladder.

Also, I'm having some problems with cramps in my calves, any suggestions for easing these? Normally I'd eat a few bananas and be good, but don't want to overdo it on the fruit. 

Hi Sondrals,

I am no expert on these topics so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe having your gallbladder removed can make it difficult to digest fats? Coconut milk is quite high in fat. Maybe try it by itself or with foods you know do not bother you. I like it on fruit as an extra fat at breakfast or lunch (along with my protein and veggies, not on its own) or in coffee. Not sure how common a coconut sensitivity might be.

As for cramping, I suffer foot and leg cramps. I find that hydration, potassium, and magnesium are all very important. I eat a lot of dark leafy greens, sweet potatoes, squash, and nuts (I prefer almonds) and drink a lot of water to keep things"in balance." It seems to work well for me.

It's possible to be sensitive to anything! I react to some coconut products if I eat them several days in a row; they make me feel kinda stuffy and cause more mucous. Coconut milk is the one I react to most, though. Jendes10 is right in that not having a gallbladder decreases your ability to digest fats, so that could be it. Do you notice the same symptoms when you consume other types of fat?

Re: cramping, I second the mineral suggestion (coconut water is a great source, and the unflavoured Natural Calm powder is great for magnesium). There are also some good homeopathic remedies (I work in a supplement store, and Restful Legs by Hyland's sells really well).

I had coconut milk Saturday then again this morning, I was trying to use up the leftover of the can we opened to make curry so I mixed it with my eggs this morning.  :D So far haven't noticed the same reaction with other fats, I've used mostly olive oil, olives and ghee though so far, used bacon fat once but I didn't like it because it seemed to coat stuff.

I'll stop by the health food store tonight maybe and see if i can find some compliant coconut water and some supplements, thanks for the tips!

I discovered I was sensitive to one brand of coconut milk and when I called the company, they said they treated the can (but not the milk?) with sulfites. It wasn't on the label. It could be an additive, the shrimp or the milk...and without a gall bladder it just may be too much fat for you to process.

Archived