trinitygurl's W30

trinitysgurl

Day 4

i-can.png

I slept great last night - although I had a hard time falling asleep.  I did break a Whole30 rule...I weighed myself this morning.  219 lbs!!!  I lost 4.4 lbs and I am only beginning day 4.  I guess I am doing something RIGHT!!!  Yeah - this made me REALLY...REALLY happy.

Meal 1: (in front of the TV...still working on this) Nom Nom Paleo Cheater Pork Stew, coffee w/coconut milk
Meal 2: (at work) grilled chicken breast, steamed organic spinach, steamed cauliflower and sweet potatoes w/ a thumb size amount of ghee
Meal 3: Nom Nom Paleo cheater Pork stew & watermelon.

Today I feel much better than yesterday.  :)

Day 0:

So my daughter Rebecka turned me on to WHOLE30 challenge. 

I am currently reading the book "It Starts With Food" and I am officially starting the challenge tomorrow. 
If I am being honest - I am nervous, but I am also confident and feeling really good about it.

I am totally prepared for it to be challenging.  I have been eating "junk" for far too long.  I am fully expecting withdrawal from sugar to be "fierce"...but I will do this.

I have had more then a few health scares lately and just got really good news on my last one.  I think that was a sign...a second chance so to speak.

il_570xN.179020112.jpg

I plan to journal my progress daily.
All help and motivation would be greatly appreciated.

Much Love <3

Starting weight: 223.4
Chest: 46.25
Waist: 43
Hips: 51
R Arm: 15.5
L Arm: 15.5
R Leg: 28
L Leg: 28.25

101_0147.JPG

101_0148.JPG

101_0149.JPG

101_0150.JPG

So far...so good...I know...I know...it's day 1.  But I ate my breakfast within the 1st hour after waking up - and I ATE AT THE TABLE!!!

I have to say - it was challenging.  I wasn't really hungry and pretty much had to force myself to eat.  According to the book - this means your hormones are off. 

"If you're not hungry in the morning, that tells us your hormones are off.  And one of the best ways to get those hormones back in line is to eat something in the morning, when it's biologically appropriate."

What did I have?
I sauteed some fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden, and banana pepper from my garden in extra virgin olive oil...I added an organic boneless skinless chicken thigh and 4 eggs.  But I only ate about 2/3 of it.  It was too much. I wasn't hungry - at all.

10547450_10152676654964312_3670026869826
10374848_10152676673539312_1953582512108

I have for as long as I can remember - drank 16 -20 oz of coffee in the morning with about 1/4 cup of either Half n Half or some kind of "sweetened...flavored" imitation creamer....this morning, I am drinking my coffee black.

It's different - not necessarily bad - but very different.  I am tasting the coffee now.

Well - I have to read my newsletter and go pick up Ricky.  More later. xo

Went shopping to Wegmans...
$170.00 later...
But I did get meat, fruits and vegetables.  By the time I got home - I was starving...(I should've ate all my eggs this morning)...but I have a fabulous lunch!!!

1899921_10152677454209312_66839717035084

Organic Red Grapes (Wegmans), Kale (my garden), Organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs (Wegmans), tomato (a friends garden) drizzled with coconut aminos....yum!!!!

Time to watch a little "Private Practice".  :)  (And maybe take a nap)

Dinner:

2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 Tbsp of Franks Hot Sauce
Cauliflower
Watermelon

I felt a little "lethargic" today.  I think I am going through sugar with drawl. I'll live.

Day 2

10590647_10152679089019312_6107850477162Today...I felt better than yesterday.

Today...I had a lot of things to do - so my meals weren't the greatest - but they were whole.

I started off the day with a creation I found online.  I "tweaked" it a bit...but it was delish!!!

Organic peaches & spring mix (Wegmans), pomegranate (Wegmans), fresh tomatoes (my garden), organic local eggs (Healthy Alternatives).

Then Ricky and I went over to Kelli - I took some grass, carrots, Kale and an apple over for the horses. (They didn't like the Kale)

Kelli, Josh, Ricky and I went to the Emmaus Farmers Market where Kelli got me some giant carrots, cabbage and fresh green beans.  :)

We also ran into Ricky & Beci's uncle Matthew and grandmom Eileen (who is the epitome of "healthy eating").  I told her what I was doing and she seemed pleased.  I told her that I was thinking if I really wanted to do a proper "junk food detox" I should move in with her - she laughed and agreed.  :)  It was GREAT to see her.

For lunch, Kelli, Josh, Carl and Ricky were eating Ricky's birthday cake - and I was busy preparing a Paleo crock-pot meal (that incidentally turned out delish).  After I was done preparing my meal - I realized that it was 2:15 and I hadn't had lunch yet.  I wasn't real hungry, so I wrapped 2 slices of deli roast beef around 2 kosher dill pickle spears (not exactly the best choice - I know - but paleo just the same) - and had some watermelon...that was lunch. 

Dinner - I was kinda "lazy" so I put some frozen baby clams in a pot and added a little ghee and salt - and I had some watermelon with it.  That was dinner.

I didn't eat any of my meals at the kitchen table today - I am going to work on this.

I also need to work on my water intake - but all in all - I think I did GREAT!!!

My crock pot cheat meal is smelling pretty solid!!!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/8425643634/slow-cooker-cheater-pork-stew

Day 3

only-you-can-do-this.jpg
So this is the morning of day 3.  I slept almost too good last night.  I didn't want to get up this morning.  :(

I was reading in one of the whole30 posts online (the revised timeline) all the feelings that you can expect feel during the whole30...while it keeps you from thinking somethings wrong with you - it's still kind of scary.  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Just another reason WHY I never want to go back to eating "junk" again.  If it takes 30 days to go through detox...that's insane and I never want to do it again!!!

I feel really tired today...my back hurts and I just have no energy at all.  :(

I had a great paleo breakfast this morning (pretty much the same as yesterday morning - with raspberries instead of peaches) - I did eat it in front of the TV (because I was not hungry at all) and I did add a little organic coconut milk to my coffee this morning (even though the book says not too) - I needed to drink the coffee today - on top of feeling lethargic - I don't need a headache at work as well.

Sounds like I am bitching right?  I am.  It's sound like I am backsliding too...I'm NOT!!!

I know the book says you should eat at the table - I get that.

But according to what I read in book - my hormones must be really off.  I am almost NEVER hungry in the morning.  I thought not eating 3 hours before bedtime would make me starving in the morning - but I am NOT.

So because they said eating breakfast is IMPORTANT - I made myself a big nutritious breakfast and in order to actually EAT it - I had to do the mindless eating. When I sit at the table (and I don't know why) I can barely manage a few bites...I just don't have the appetite...and when I FORCE it - I get nauseous.

So I picked the lesser of two evils.  I think eating a nutritious breakfast is MORE important than eating at the table.  I still want to work on eating at the table - I think eventually I will become more accustomed to eating when I wake up...then I will work on eating at the table. 

Today is my first day back at work since 2 days no sugar.  It should be interesting.

Home from work - it wasn't bad, it was actually ok.

My boss was crying because I heated my lunch (which had cabbage in it) - and I stank up his office.  Haha.

Oh...and I did get on the scale today - I know I am not supposed to - but I LOST 3 POUNDS!!! YAY me!!!

Today was tough!!!  Really TOUGH!!!

To start out with - in the beginning of this Whole30, I KNEW I would need a little (extra) motivation.  So I purchased for $14.95 a daily newsletter that comes to my email in the morning.  Believe it or not - they are very helpful.  They let you know, day by day, what you can expect.

I got day 0 - 2, but this morning (of all mornings) I did not get my email...and I was not happy.  I emailed the people who I bought the newsletter from - and they did not respond...so I went from being "not happy" to full fledged "pissed off".  They say day 3 is the most difficult...and I didn't get my daily motivation.  :(

Today I ate my Meal 1 at home:

Organic Spring Mix, Pomegranate, Fresh Organic Tomatoes, Organic Free Range Eggs (3), Organic Local Scallions.  It was delish - I didn't eat it at the table though.  I figured it was MORE important to eat it - then where I ate it.  I also added a little coconut milk to my coffee.  It didn't really make it sweet - but it took the "motor oil" taste away.

Meal 2: I had my Nom Nom Cheater Pork Stew: Organic Pork Shoulder Roast, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Onion, Garlic, coconut aminos, and cabbage...I also had an organic plum.  (my boss cried and cried about the fact that my lunch stank the office up (cabbage).

Meal 3: Nom Nom Cheater Pork Stew & watermelon.

I didn't snack before bed - but I wanted to...I REALLY wanted to.

I really need to concentrate on water intake

I actually found myself fantasizing about (food) things that I don't really even like that much...and of course things I do.  I was thinking of "coffee Nips" those sweet little coffee tasting candies.  It stands to reason - I miss my morning "sweet" coffee and I miss sugar.

I do - I miss sugar.  If I said I didn't I would totally be lying at this point.

However...I am hoping that the end result of this Whole30 will have me not missing sugar, sweet or junk at all...and if not - I'll go longer

I vented my disappointment with the Whole30 daily on the Whole9 message boards...and before I went to bed - I checked my email - and there it was.  Day 3.

Day 5

10296982_648907311852857_284198213312144

Embarking on day 5.

Yesterday (day 4) in the evening I had HUGE cravings!!!  Not for anything in particular - I just wanted a snack before bed.  It was a battle the devil on my left shoulder was saying "just eat some fruit - FRUIT is whole30!!!" - but the Whole30 angel on my right shoulder was saying "You are doing SO good - don't listen to him - you're NOT hungry...just tired. Go to sleep."...and I did.   :)

Today was much better.  While I expect the "roller coaster" of feelings...I have to say - it's getting better and better every day...as a matter of fact - it's NOT that HARD!!!

10551545_10152685894514312_7071129462622

M1: 3 Organic eggs, organic spinach, organic local scallions, tomatoes from my garden (delish) and the best honeydew melon that I ever tasted...seriously.  I also had coffee w/organic coconut milk

M2: Chicken Breast, yams, organic steamed spinach and honeydew melon

M3: the last of my Nom Nom Paleo Stew and honeydew melon

My craving were again very STRONG at bedtime.  I wanted a snack - but I know these cravings are just that...CRAVINGS.  I know I am NOT hungry...it's a habit...and I am going to break it.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day 6

tips-nobody-cares3-small-206545_222x180.

Happily embarking on DAY 6 today!!!  This morning...I FEEL GREAT!!!

I have been trying to read "It Starts With Food" as much as I can.  I am a person who is very easily distracted.  I try to read at work (on my breaks or when I have time) - but I either get distracted by other people - or I get busy and have to stop.

I did make up a binder.  I seen a great idea on the whole30 website about a girl who organized all her whole30 information in a binder - I thought it was a GREAT idea!!!  I am going to try and get as educated as I possible can about eating whole foods.  I want to feel good.  I am 50 years old and I am SICK & TIRED of being SICK & TIRED.  If it gets hard - and I fully expect it to...I will SUCK IT UP.  :)

Day 7

photo2.jpgWow!!!  I can't believe I am on day 7.

With the exception of a few behavioral modifications...I think I am doing EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Do I get cravings?  Of course I do.

Do I want to eat out of habit (at night in front of the TV)?  YES

Are my urges strong? At times.

Is this harder than I thought it was going to be? Not at all.

Is it (pardon the pun) "a piece of cake"?  Nope - it requires effort & planning.

I know this "challenge" is called the whole30 - but I absolutely plan to make it a lifestyle.

Screen-shot-2011-08-19-at-4.44.40-PM.pngI find that the more "good food" I keep in my fridge - the easier the transition to whole eating  is.  It makes sense.

Funny story: Last night my husband made his 1st whole30 compliant dinner for me.  He has been so nervous about cooking for me since I started that he just hasn't done it at all.  But last night he did.  He made ground beef, string beans and a potato.  I said to him "thanks for making the green beans - I got them at the farmers market"...he looked absolutely petrified.  I said what's wrong??? He said "those are FROZEN green beans...I didn't know you had green beans from the farmers market!!!" I said "Oh...ok."...He said "Is that alright?  Frozen?"...I said "yeah...fresh is better but frozen is okay."  He took a big **sigh**...and said "OMG!!! I was so scared - I thought I ruined it for you." He's trying to be so supportive...it just makes me love him so much.

I woke up this morning feeling GREAT.  My back didn't hurt.  :)

photo-3.jpg
Today went well - I managed to stay on track and when I came home my hubby surprised me with veggies done in the crock pot w/ rib eye steak.  It was delish!!!

M1: ground pork, fresh tomatoes, yams

M2: chicken thighs, cauliflower, green beans

M3: grilled rib-eye steak, and mixed veggies

Bye...bye week 1!!! :)

Day 8

untitled.png
So today wasn't my BEST whole30 day.

I ate clean - but I missed my M2.  I went to the health food store for eggs (they are cheaper there then the supermarket or the farmer's market) - then I filled my tank with gas, then to Walmart for dog treats for my dog - then Wegman's which was MAD HOUSE!!!

I didn't get to eat my M2 until almost 3 PM...but by that time I was FAMISHED!!!

I'm good though.

M1: Mixed Veggies w/Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef

M2: Organic Rib Eye, Grilled Chicken, Grilled zucchini, grilled Portabello, yams. YUM!!!

10606530_682879408455647_698083243741958

Woke up this morning and the back of my right knee - and even front was hurting REAL bad.  :(  I forgot to take my blood thinners for 2 days - I hope I am not forming a blood clot again.

M1:  3 organic eggs, spinach, fresh pinapple, cherry tomatoes
M2: pork roast, cauliflower, pineapple, and honeydew melon.
M3: pork roast, pineapple & cauliflower

My knee seemed to get better as the day went on.  It kind of put a damper on my plans to start exercising...bummed me out - I really wanted to walk with my husband - but didn't think it was a good idea.

I seen my daughter today...Kelli.  She raved about how my face looked "thinner"...My husband also told me that I look thinner.  I personally think they are lying through their teeth and just want me to keep on keeping on...but I love them for the support.  My family is AWESOME!!!

Day 10

10616411_10152699399304312_2801388023808
This is my #1 reason for doing the whole30.  My grandson Hollis.  I love this boy like no other.  He is truly the "sunshine" in my life.

M1: 3 Eggs, spinach, tomato, avocado, sweet red pepper. Honeydew & Pineapple

M2: 1 HB Egg, sweet red pepper, pomegranate, chicken breast, tomato, on top of a bed of romaine w/evoo and balsamic vinegar. Honeydew melon

M3: Pork Roast w/pineapple, carrots, spinach  and Honeydew.

My knee stopped hurting today - but I was afraid to walk - afraid I might aggravate it.  I am hoping I am not becoming dependent on Advil.  That's the only thing I can think of.  I questioned on the whole30 forum if Advil was going to mess up my whole30 (because of the candy coating) - they said "no - and that doctor prescribed meds always trumps anything".  I know they are just covering their butts - but the girl also said the "candy coating" should be the least of my worries - the ibuprofen wreaks havoc on the stomach.  It really hasn't for me - but she's right...I also don't want to be in debilitating pain either.

Other than that - I FEEL GREAT!!! Day 10 and I feel absolutely WONDERFUL.  Why didn't I do this sooner???

Woke up this morning and the back of my right knee - and even front was hurting REAL bad.   :(  I forgot to take my blood thinners for 2 days - I hope I am not forming a blood clot again.

M1:  3 organic eggs, spinach, fresh pinapple, cherry tomatoes
M2: pork roast, cauliflower, pineapple, and honeydew melon.
M3: pork roast, pineapple & cauliflower

My knee seemed to get better as the day went on.  It kind of put a damper on my plans to start exercising...bummed me out - I really wanted to walk with my husband - but didn't think it was a good idea.

I seen my daughter today...Kelli.  She raved about how my face looked "thinner"...My husband also told me that I look thinner.  I personally think they are lying through their teeth and just want me to keep on keeping on...but I love them for the support.  My family is AWESOME!!!

Day 11

day%2B11.jpg
I'm thinking I am going to try walking today after work.  :)

M1: 3 eggs, spinach, tomato & avocado - honeydew melon, coffee w/coconut milk

M2: Salad: Romaine, chicken breast, pomegranate, banana peppers, sweet red peppers, 1 HB egg, cherry tomatoes, evoo & balsamic

M3: Spaghetti squash, homemade whole30 meat sauce (tomatoes from MY garden, onion powder, garlic powder, italian seasoning, grass-fed ground beef) pork roast & watermelon.

I didn't walk - I actually got out of work early - and my husband had went for a walk - but he went to far and needed me to pick him up.  I did.  Then I came home and started preparing my dinner.  Cooking for yourself is very time consuming.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 30

First%2B30%2B-%2Bbefore%2Band%2Bafter%2B

I lost about 10 lbs.  Not a lot - but slightly noticeable.  Most people are telling me that they notice it most in my facial area.

So today is my last day of my 1st Whole30. 

I think I did AWESOME!!!  Could I have done better?  For sure.

Positive changes I have made in 30 days:

I do NOT crave sugar anymore

I do not snack after dinner

I eat 3 meals a day (whether I want to or not)

I eat breakfast every morning within an hour of waking.

I drink water (not enough - but I drink it)

I eat veggies, fruit and meat...that's it.

Changes I have noticed:

More energy

Less Pain

No cravings

Better Moods

I have decided to do another Whole60 during this 60 days my goals will be in addition to eating the way I am currently eating:

Drink more water

Exercise Regularly

Eat at the Table (no electronic devices)

Less TV

Archived