Where to buy premade and compliant sauces/dressings/spices?

Kaylee_K

I'll be honest, I'm lazy and busy. I meal prep for the week, but by Fridays I am SO SICK of microwaving food.

What are some good dressings / sauces / anything that can quicken cooking that I can buy and where?

I know tessamae's dressings at whole foods are good, but there's got to be more to life?!

Also open to ordering things online, provided they ship quickly. I'm only on day 2!

Thanks!

How about a crockpot? You can toss everything in it in the morning and it is done when you get home. No mircrowaving required. lol. I don't use a lot of sauces just oil and vinegar or oil and lemon so I am not much help there. Did you check out The Clothes Make The Girl for some great sauce recipes? You do have to make them yourself. Enjoy!

I tend to rely on herbs and spices for quick flavourings, I love nutmeg and allspice as a combination, basil and oregano on anything with tomatoes, rosemary and thyme, etc etc etc..

I tend to cook ahead veges and meat separately so I can mix it up a bit, e.g. leftover roast veges taste completey different with roast beef/ in a lettuce wrap with pulled pork, then the pulled pork went on to be nachos for non whole30 hubby and on a silverbeet (chard) salad for me... so prep on any given day is minimal, but the dishes are always changing

Also... nuts can quickly change the flavour of a dish =)

I agree about just figuring out how to make them - homemade mayo is a good base.  I'm really busy too but the mayo takes me less than 2 minutes to make and it lasts all week - I can portion it out and add different stuff to change the flavors.  I use Sunday as my prep day and my daughter helps - maybe I make her help but she helps ;)  

I marinade a few meats, cook a roaster, maybe hard boil some eggs and take out some frozen meat for a dip in the crockpot one night.  I think it comes down to getting into the rhythm of it.  Not easy to do all the time but worth it!  good luck!

The mayo is a godsend.  It's literally my favorite condiment now.  I use it for my tuna fish of course, but it doubles as a dipping sauce for a variety of things including steaks and burgers.  And as mentioned above, there are tons of recipes where you can add a few spices to give it an entirely different flavor profile.  My wife makes it and will usually just double the recipe, and that makes more than we can use for about 2 weeks.  Other than that, I live on Tessemae's marinades and sauces.  

• Moderators

Yep, the mayo is magic. I put minced garlic in ours plus a little cayenne. Well Fed 2 has a bunch of different sauces/dressings you can make from the base mayo recipe.

It takes about 5 whole minutes to whip up some homemade mayo, so even the busiest person can fit that in.

Part of the Whole30 is getting in the habit of making things for yourself. Always relying on quick and easy options means down the road you're much more likely to eat something you really don't want.

I hadn't eaten mayo since childhood. You'll be amazed at how good homemade tastes (and how easy it is to make).

Be happy that Tesse Mae exists is my advice to you, and stock up big! TM is also making compliant mayo now but I don't believe it has hit Whole Foods yet. 

Store bought fresh salsas are usually compliant - mango, tomato (of course check labels) and PESTO is a great addition to anything - Whole Foods has some fantastic dairy free pestos. Guacamole is something else that can be store bought and is usually compliant. 

You can look for compliant mustard and horseradish sauce to put on your meats or in your mayo.

Make this sauce:http://nomnompaleo.com/post/31668858279/leons-caper-and-anchovy-miracle-sauce

Put it on everything. Make a double batch.

If you click on "follow this topic" on the top right of the page you'll get everyone's responses when they respond. 

• Moderators

Seriously... learn to make mayonnaise and then add spices to achieve different flavors. You are not too busy and your health and enjoyment is worth it.

I rather like how blunt and to the point Tom is.  And on that note I'm going to go make my mayo…. :)

Do you? I think its unhelpful. Maybe she is too busy. We don't know.

I think there is a place for both kindness and understanding AND so-called "blunt" answers. Different people respond to different approaches.

I find Tom D.'s responses valuable because so often the straight up truths he deals are thought-provoking and spot-on.

One of my favorites from him: "Cooking is a critical life skill that our culture supports ignoring."

• 4 months later...

Personally, I don't like mayo (home made or store bought) so this wasn't particularly helpful for me in finding some flavors to enhance my meals.  We're making all our other other food, so a few pre-made (but whole30 appropriate) purchases seems like a very reasonable request from the original poster. :)

Archived