Whole30 buddy required!

JO.H

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno how to set up a group so for now will just chat to you both form this post.  How was the day?  I am still hungry more than I should be.  I made a huge chicken liver and onion salad for lunch and then two hours later made the same again as there was no way I would last til supper time.  I am making 100% Whole30 suppers for the family and noone has complained yet.  I'm not a great one for time in the kitchen but I seem to enjoy it more when I am dealing with real food.  I have switched to black coffee, never thought I would do that, and I don't stop at my favourite coffee shop every morning anymoreNever thought I could break that habit, it was the best part of my day (sadly), and I realize it was controlling me.  Let me know how your day 3/4 went please?

Day three has been ok so far. I didn't do a great job eating my whole lunch, and I'm now a bit headache-y and head swimmy. A little sad too, because it was a delicious lunch (compliant turkey taco salad).

I'm lucky / unlucky - I only have to cook for myself, but the downside is that it's sometimes not so motivating to cook just for oneself. I'm pretty sure I've used every pot and pan in my house since Sunday!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I feel your pain via my love of hot chocolate! I kinda miss chocolate. I hope that ends soon!

I am happy that I still feel very firmly committed to the program. I definitely need to work on my food - I don't think I'm eating enough. I want this to be sustainable for longer than 30 days. I historically have an issue of giving myself an inch...I tend to take the proverbial mile and start being very permissive with myself.

I had entirely fallen out of the habit of cooking, and had been snacking through all my meals previously, sometimes binging on gluten free snacks (I was gluten and dairy free coming into this, so that transition wasn't hard).

Have y'all tried any of the recipes yet? Thinking about trying the sweet potato hash one with an egg over the weekend.

So well done on finishing day 3!  I am happy to that you are firmly committed as I need the company!  Was hard for me to understand how you couldn't finish lunch as I had to make lunch twice I was so hungry, but then this morning I couldn't finish my breakfast.  I made an omelette with leftover salmon and asparagus from supper last night, and added onions and thyme.  It was good, a bit dry (needed mayonnaise).  But I couldn't finish.  Not sure if that is a good thing?

Ooh yes, chocolate.  I am an addict.  I have forced myself to graduate to dark chocolate, but even then I eat too much.  If Whole30 rids me of my chocolate cravings that will be serious progress.  I have made my list of what to do about cravings from the daily email - did you subscribe to that? Talking of chocolate I think it is time for my daily black coffee.  What are you using as an alternative to your hot choc? My daughters love hot choc so much they eat it in spoonfuls out the tin so I had to stop buying it!

I'm totally with you on the sustaining post 30 days - I need to, otherwise there is no point to this trial.  I was thinking how nice cheese would have been on this omelette, not sure I will be able to give up cheese forever.  

I was doing low carb (no grains) before this so similar to you.  Not missing the gluten.  But I did do a sugar binge on the weekend just before I started.  I paid for it with the headache on day 2 and my head doesn't feel great today either.  How's your head today?

Let me know how the sweet potato hash goes.  I haven't been good about trying the recipes yet, but will soon have to cos my usuals will get boring!

Heh Anonymous, I'd be happy for you to join us.  You start Aug 18 too?  How's it going for you?  My appetite is much better today, not starving every hour even after a big meal.  I have just prepped steak for tonight with the 'It starts with food" spices, including cocoa and coffee.  We will see what the family thinks!

Thanks for letting me join. I did start on the 18th. It is going well. I had some bad headaches on day 2 and 3. They are gone I hope for good. I ran on day 3 and my legs were dead. It was a good day I got my ghee, coconut aminos, and fish sauce. Can't wait to use all of these. This weekend I plan on making paleo mayo. I just need to find light olive oil. How is your time finding things to make going?

I think an 18 Aug group would be good.  Not sure if we set it up as a group or just carry on like this, happy either way.  I had a good day 4, actually ate 3 big meals and hardly any snacking, and I am a big snacker.  I've always grazed the whole day, usually healthy but not always.  So if I can get out of that habit it would be great.

Please tell me how the mayo goes, I've been meaning to try it. Why does it have to be light olive oil?

Ostrich steak tonight was great - spiced with coriander, pepper, salt, cloves, coffee and cocoa, quite exotic for me.  i'm actually enjoying cooking - if my husband heard me say that he'd fall over!  Maybe I just like cooking the right things.

Don't lose it w30, we need you here with us.

Frantastic how's your day 4?  

By the way I think I am on a different continent to you guys with the time difference?

Thanks for your kind words, JO.H. and let me endorse the homemade mayo. I am NOT a cook at all but I followed the instructions exactly from clothesmakethegirl and the mayo came out beautifully with the first shot. Also made almond milk, which is tasty and pretty easy. I can hardly believe that I'm swapping cooking tips :) but I bought a veggie spiralizer to make veggie noodles and it is very helpful.

Getting near the end of day 4...yea!

ok, I am definitley going to try the mayo - I love mayo.  In fact I am going to make it this morning to have on my salmon frittata (which was a bit dry yesterday.  I'm envious of the spiralizer!  

How are you feeling?  I am feelling good, having weird dreams, but not about food.  I miss my scale in the morning.

Hey everyone!

So day 4 went well.. I think I had the best meal so far last night. I used my spiralizer and made a Zucchini pasta with Avocado sauce and a no-mayo slaw. The recipe for the pasta one is http://thehealthyfoodie.com/creamy-avocado-pasta-chicken-asparagus/. We did not have any asparagus so we just skipped it, but it would have been good in there. As for my Day 5 it is going well... No headache or anything. I really just need to get into the swing of working out again... I took a long break during the summer with vactions and everything, but that is no excuse. I am really dreading this weekend... It is going to be a true test. Since my house is still full on non-Whole30 items I just need to be strong and drink my water. Well I hope everyone had a good day for and can not wait to hear about your days and what you make. Let keep this up only 25 more days left or maybe longer. One last thing..... What Time Zone is everyone at? I am currently +1 GMT. When I post this it is 10:45am. Hear from you all soon!!!

Tom

Heh buddies, I am GMT+2, so mid morning for me, and not hungry for lunch yet - that's progress.  Though meeting a client for lunch and hoping desperately that there is something I can eat in the work canteen - sashimi or salad perhaps?

I am thinking up all kinds of treats for myself that are not related to food.  I normally wake up every morning planning some sort of food treat even if its dark chocolate or sushi or just a glass of wine.  So I have to teach myself to plan for the other treats.  Anonymous, can you plan for more than just a glass of water when you are tempted this weekend?  And good luck with the test - stay with us! 

I am just loving the discovery of ghee - butter with no dairy!  Anyone know how this differs from clarified butter? Have also discovered a whole lot of new ways to eat nuts, mostly roasting with a concoction of spices and coconut oil. Anyone noticing any major health changes yet?  My nails are growing.  And I feel lighter already, in my head not on the scale.

I think I might spice up my water with some cucumber, lemon, or lime... Water seems to do the trick for me.... I just always forget to drink it while I am at home.. At work it is not an issue i go through about 3L a day at my desk. I don’t know what else to drink... I might try some teas. I have some loose tea, but I am trying no caffeine right now.

Well I love Ghee I used it this morning... And OMGhee it was great... That is the Ghee I bought by the way.. Lol. I am having some health changes my allergies were really bad and I stopped taking my medication for them and they are basically gone. I did wake up feeling good.. I am ready for lunch right now, but I need to wait until I get home for that.... 

I am really not a nut fan.. I will eat them for some crunch in food, but I really don't need them.. Before this I just used to eat mostly junk.. Bagel Bites, frozen pizza, hot pockets all during the day.. Since I can't have any of that it makes it easy not to snack.. I am also staying fuller longer. Eating real food all the time is a good thing... I am really going to try to get the rest of the Family to start on it.

Just checking in to let you know we have an Aug 21 start date group going in the forum. It's my second Whole 30, and one of our gals gives an ingredient of the day, with lots of recipes for that ingredient. I've never been a cook, but it helped inspire me to try new things. 

If it's helpful pop on over check it out!

Hi guys - not sure what happened to my post from yesterday...so I'll recap...

Day #4 was a tough one...I had a spinal epidural to alleviate back pain, so I had to go in fasting, and ultimately didn't eat anything at all until after 12 noon. The upside...I did then eat (I had pre-prepped some veggies and chicken) . I made a sweet potato too, hoping it would carbify me enough to make up for not eating. It didn't really work. The good news - I slept for a few hours. The bad news - while I stayed compliant with foods, I ate more than I probably should have (pretty sure no one NEEDS to eat 4 Applegate Farms turkey hot dogs for dinner. But I made two and then wanted more!), along with broccoli and cauliflower. 

Back in my normal routine today...

Time zones...I am GMT -5 (USA, Eastern Time Zone)

I HATE mayo (it's a lifelong thing - it just grosses me out) but I found a recipe for compliant ketchup on pintrest, so I may try that this weekend.

Will also be heading to trader joe's, as I've heard they have ghee, which I've not yet tasted.

I bought a spiralizer too (under the repulsive name of the "Vegetti").

I hope it's okay if I join your thread too --- I started on August 18 as well! This is my second Whole 30. 

frantastic -- I bought a spiralizer recently too and love it! My favorite thing is spiralizing sweet potatos for a sweet potato hashbrown in the mornings. I actually spiralized a bunch of sweet potatoes and just keep them in a ziplock bag in the fridge so I can toss some on the stove for an easy breakfast.

Thanks for the tips, 548 and CCL. JO.H, I also appreciate the ghee endorsement. I haven't tried that yet cuz I can't figure out what to put it on. I am on EDT (New York time) so getting ready for lunch. Have houseguests coming this weekend, which will pose a significant challenge. However, I do love the positive psychology used by the W30 team around perseverance--we can do it! We got this!

Archived