Whole30 buddy required!

JO.H

Strength for us all! I (with the help of the message boards here!) figured out one of my problems...timing. I eat lunch sometime between 12 and 1 and then don't usually have dinner until 7:30 or 8 (at which point I could eat everything on the planet). So - I will be adding a protein/veg/fat mini meal around 4:30.

On Thursday I am hosting a team building party at work, with a theme of "tailgating" (American college football season starts this weekend). So, I will not only be exposed to fried wings, pizza, chips, dips, beer, and desserts...I'll be buying them and setting it all up!

Jo - I'm hosting my next book club meeting so the ladies will all be subject to a delightful whole 30-compliant dinner!

Anon548 - just take a virtuous air with your coworkers. If they ask about your beer, tell them you have to drive. You can also put a couple of food items on your plate and just carry it around with you (but don't eat it!). (I had pancreatitis a few years ago and for a solid year afterwards ate only egg whites, applesauce, and chicken broth...I was the QUEEN of carrying a plate of food around to avoid awkward explanations!)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are 33% complete- yea us! I have not mastered the pre-post workout food thing either, since I work out first thing in the morning. That usually means breakfast is in two installments. But happy to report that this morning for the first time ever, when my alarm went off at 5:00 to go to the gym (I know, I know), I actually got up without the usual jury trial in my head!

The food/work issue is a challenge. I am trying not to get into it unless I have to ("I'm doing this crazy food plan so I can't join you for bagels") but interestingly, three colleagues are looking into W30 to start in Sept. So I love the idea of carrying around a plate and also having fancy sparkling water for book club, parties, etc.

We can do this! I'm sure everyone here has done much, much harder things in their lives. We are through the toughest part and the next weeks should start to yield demonstrable results!

We are on DAY 11!!!

Adding a nice 3.33% everyday to the 33% done!!! I made it at the Work BBQ. I brought my lunch from my house.. On the plus side they had all the bottled water I could drink. :) I need to plan out my next 2 weeks of meals by Saturday. I have a good farmers market to go to and get almost everything I need veggie and nut wise.

So this morning, I was fumbling through my purse looking for a lipstick...and found an array of dove chocolates (they keep them in a bowl at my yoga studio and I had been in the habit of grabbing a handful after class)! I put them in the trash. I felt very wasteful, but also quite virtuous. My sweets cravings are down, but dark chocolate and sea salt caramel still sound pretty darn yummy!

100 points for throwing the chocolates away!  I agree it feels so wasteful, I really struggle with that too.  My body is the garbage bin and "needs" to make sure food is never wasted.  Gotta rethink that one.

Anonymous, congrats on the work barbecue, some sound advise from Frantastic, especially filling your plate and then not eating.  I might need to try that tonight at bookclub.  I made it though a restaurant meal to day, had steak veg and salad and coffee.  I missed out on a great bottle of wine, so just had a sniff of my friends Chardonnay.  I am definitely not giving up wine permanently!

I am not doing much exercise, and I think I need to sort that out, from tomorrow!

Nice job, Fran, anon and JOH on managing challenging work and food situations. I've been bringing forbidden food into the office to make sure that it's not hanging around my house.

OK so I get that we are not supposed to be weighing ourselves, but does anyone feel any weight loss yet? Looser clothes? I don't, and find the scale as much of a temptation as dark chocolate and sea caramel! Does this mean that I have to bring my scale into the office, too? :)

PS just had ghee on sautéed veggies for dinner- delish!

Oh my gosh! I just re-found this post! Can I rejoin the conversation?

JOH and I have been going through messages, I guess I forgot about this post. I do enjoy reading all your posts!

I am so sleepy and achy today. I keep telling myself that it is my body readjusting, I have a lot of bad food habits. I agree this may have to extend to a Whole 60 or more. And yes, I'm already afraid to leave this world of whole 30. Before today, I thought I was feeling great, sleepy better at night, and thinking positive about my outcomes. Today, I am not feeling all that positive. Waiting for some "magic" to kick in!

Another Day Done!!!

How is everyone doing today?? It is Friday and the weekend is upon us!! It is bitter sweet that the weekend is here. I really want to just have a beer and grill at the same time.. I won't break because I am committed to completing this. Just to put this into perspective 1 September is Day 15 and we will be half way there!!!!

Fran: Good job on the tossing of the Choco!! I also hate throwing food or anything away for that matter. I used to be the one who clears the kid’s plate when they didn't finish their food.

Jo: What kind of exercises are you thinking about doing? If you have a lot of time a long walk is always nice or if you are short on time and want to get a good workout in look up HIIT. They will kick your butt, but it is as hard as you push yourself.

W30: I like the idea of bringing your forbidden food into the office for everyone else. I have notice that my face is not as full and some pants are still tight though.

I have been running and my legs are still dead. Is anyone else having this? So by the end of today I need to have meal plans for dinner till the end the program. Oh... I have also tried my coconut aminos for the first time last night on my stir fry and WOW so much better than Soy Sauce. It just made the dish. Well everyone have a good weekend and stay strong!!

Thank goodness it's Friday! I hope everyone has a good weekend and holiday! I will be out of town for most of the weekend and all day Monday, so this weekend will be a challenge for me... but I know I will be just fine! My boyfriend and I whitewater kayak, so we are out of town a LOT of weekends. I know I just need to pack a lot of easy to grab foods --- apples, compliant beef jerky, things like that!

frantastic -- I will be in Atlanta on Sat-Sun for a concert... It sounds like there are a ton of things going on there this weekend!

Happy Friday everyone! I'm really proud of all of us!! We've made it for 12 days - which means we've crossed the zone where most people quit.

W30Inri - isn't the ghee kind of ridiculously delish? I MAY attempt to make my own. I hear that's even better. I don't like what the scale tells me, so I'm not super tempted by it!! The tightness of my pants is telling enough!  We are having a "biggest loser" competition at work, but I'm not going to weigh until the end of the 30 days.

JoH - how did book club go?

Treig - welcome back! It IS hard to stay positive some days. There's a reason "fake it 'til you make it" is a cliché...so, let's all put our game faces on and slog through it! We WILL get there! I am also struggling with fatigue (I just came perilously close to falling asleep in a meeting!)

A548 - also still struggling with the dead-legs in exercise! It's also been very hot and humid this week which helps nothing!

I still haven't used the fish sauce and coconut aminos - they are deck for the weekend!

Am also going to make a bone broth. Has anyone tried that yet?

Lainey - it will be ZOO here this weekend! What concert are you in town for?

I flat water kayak but haven't been brave enough for whitewater yet!

I actually turned down a kayak trip tomorrow because I feel so tired and am worried about food.

Happy Day 12 and Friday, all! Some of you have asked to be my friend on this site and forgive me for not responding--I am not a great social media user and tend to limit my tweets, posts, blogs, etc. etc. It has been really helpful to communicate with you all via this forum.

Fran, making ghee sounds way above my pay grade, that's for sure! And Treig, I think we have all felt ready to throw in the towel at times (at least I know I have). I think that it's useful to revisit the goals for the program that we were advised to create at the start, as a visual reminder of why we are doing this. As Oscar Wilde said, "I can resist anything except temptation" and getting grounded in the overall benefits of this program can help resist temptation!

I am ok-I think my pants are a bit looser (or maybe they are just a little bigger than the others) and I am not having killer workouts- haven't felt the dead legs thing, but also haven't been crushing it at the gym, either. Anon, happy shopping at the farmer's market and JOH, hope you are feeling strong from your book club experience.

Not sure if I'll be able to log in much over the long weekend but hang in there, everyone! We hit the halfway mark on Monday- whoo hoo!

frantastic -- I'm going to the Imagine festival (but only on Saturday). I am not familiar with a lot of the bands at it, but I'm excited! And then Monday we are driving down to Columbus, GA to go to the whitewater park there. 

I know how you feel about being nervous, food-wise, about trips, even day trips!

We are on day 14 - yippeeee!  And still going strong.  My pants are definitely loser, and my husband is starting to notice I have lost weight, but I miss my scale almost as much as I miss my wine.  Never realised how addicted I was, to both:)

Thanks for the exercise encouragement Anon, I have got out walking and will get back to yoga this week, have been through a bad exercise stage but love hiking and yoga, so I am hoping some super energy kicks in and I get back into the mountains.  Its nearly summer (I live in Cape Town) so good time of year for that. 

Lainey how was you kayak picnic?

I survived bookclub!  Drank sparkling water from a champagne glass and ate what I think was compliant roast lamb. A big bowl of chocolates looked at me all evening and I glared right back, I would usually have eaten a lot of them, and felt sick after.  I am wondering how I just never go back to that bad habit? I may be doing a Whole60 with you Treig, or even try take things right to Christmas?  I really really want some of these habits to stick.

And I am enjoying cooking much more than before, now that's an unexpected bonus for me!

Congrats on your book club coup, JOH! I am at friends' this weekend and mostly packed what I needed for food (forget chopped veg for breakfast so will have two fruit instead- not sure if that's kosher, but better than dipping into the bagels!). And I hate to be a food weirdo but I did ask me friends to put the chips out of my view at dinner- that way I didn't have to do the staredown!

Tomorrow is the halfway mark. I am thinking about the reintegration process and/or whether or not to try and extend another couple of weeks, too. Not sure if this is an all-or-nothing approach. Thoughts, anyone?

I am sure fruit is fine with breakfast, I know berries are recommended, though haven't tried them with eggs yet!  I have fruit and nuts when I get tired of eggs, just miss the yoghurt though.  How did it go with your friends this weekend w30inri?

I have no idea how I am go to handle the reintegration, I am much better at the all or nothing approach, black and white.  When the lines blur and I start on the chocolate, wine, sugar, croissants, I cant stop.  

I think I am going to extend until I have an occasion not to, and then plan the reintroduction of other foods around that.

Happy Monday Everyone!!! Half Way There!!

Well it is Monday again and I made it through the weekend. How was everyones weekend? Mine was alright. Nothing to crazy. When I went to the market with my daughter and her friend it was hard. I got them some kibbling, which is basicly deep fried cod. It was so hard just to watch them eat it, but I stayed strong with it. It think cococut curry is saving me during this. I make a big batch on Sunday and then just take it to work and that is my Lunch for about 3 to 4 days. I was sick of eggs this morning so I had left over roast with veggies. It is hard to think that we are on Day 15!!! Everyone have a good day! Better get back to work!!

Happy halfway mark, all! Thanks for your thoughts re: integration, JOH. I am moving in that direction as well (sticking to this and reintegrating on an as-needed basis). We have a 3 day weekend in the US so still at my friends' with a lack of vegetables in the house (my bad) but what I am learning is that I actually miss the morning veggies- whodathunk?

According to the daily email, this is the week when that magic starts to kick in, so I am looking forward to that. Getting back home and on a routine will be helpful and I need to kick it up a notch with the exercise this week.

Way to hang tough with the farmers market, Anon, and fran, how's it going this weekend in ATL? Treig, hope that you are doing ok out there as well. Just think - tomorrow we'll be in The second half of the program...

Wooo-aaaa, we are on to the second half, and still going strong!  I felt good at the gym this morning.  Not flooded with energy yet, but trying to be patient.  I have definitely lost some weight but have no idea how much, just hope I am not disappointed at the end.  3kg would be good, less would be frustrating. I'm finding the meal 1, 2, 3 much easier now and don't bother to snack in-between.  If I am going out I will take fruit and nuts but often don't need it, that's progress for me.  I would never go anywhere before without snacks.  

How are you all feeling?

When I cook supper in the evening or prepare a snack for my daughters I catch myself almost ... just almost ... licking the spoon of cottage cheese.  Its such a habit to snack on the food I'm preparing.  I would be so cross if anything non compliant entered my mouth now, I think I would spit it out!

HAPPY DAY 16!!! It was a long weekend here and I had a bit of a cold/bug so I was offline. I wasn't off plan though!! Friday night I had my archery class (I like to take classes and lessons in random things) and got in center (not a full bull's-eye, but close!) from the 30 yard mark!

Saturday morning I did a major shopping at the farmer's market. I set a personal record for the amount of money spent there, but I have two batches of bone broth made now and my fridge and freezer are stocked (and they had an array of ghees for me to choose from!). I really, really need to make my own! Maybe this coming weekend.... One of my dear friends and her boyfriend are starting a whole 30 today...maybe I can talk them into helping :)

I (finally) used the coconut aminos and fish sauce - delish! (I had a little issue with the smell of the fish sauce - blech!!)

I did double exercise on Sunday (5 mile walk with a friend and then yoga class), which may have been ill-advised seeing how I was under the weather.

So proud of all of us!

I'm still not feeling any tiger blood. I feel closer to kitten blood!!!

Hey guys! Glad to hear everyone survived the holiday weekend! 

Let me tell you going to my parents house for 3 days was rough. While my mom says she supports what I am doing, I walked into the house with a 3 layer cake, chocolate frosting, cinnamon rolls, and cookies all sitting on the countertop.  Her veggies were old and gross tasting that salt and pepper couldn't fix, luckily I did bring some along. and Finally while I am ranting, we went out to our favorite ice cream store with the kids that makes homemade waffle cones so the aroma is everywhere. 

Somehow, I did not break. I stuck with it! but I will admit it was hard. I worry how I am going to remain this strong and not go back to my old ways when 30 days is up. Do you suppose the sticking with it, is Tiger Blood starting????

On a positive note, it sounds like we are all in the same boat not wanting to end this structured eating cycle and trying really hard not to even take a small bite of our kids snacks. 

By the way, I was able to read posts over the long weekend, but couldn't post off my phone for some reason. Anyway, you guys rock! I think your support is what saved me from caving in! Thank you!

Stay strong! 

Hi all- really encouraged to hear all the great things that you are doing. I had my first MAJOR LEAGUE sugar craving yesterday while on a long car ride. Could not stop thinking about wanting something sweet! So I stopped at Sbux and got a pack of their freeze-dried fruit, which only has fruit listed as ingredients. I think it was W30 compliant, but felt like a cheat to me. However, back on the wagon today and determined to push through. Had a better workout this morning than I have in a while so don't think I've hit Tiger Blood (but like the Kitten Blood suggestion from fran!).

Treig, don't let your (helpful) mom derail you! I suggest the "out of sight" rule for all tempting items!

Anon, sounds like you are doing great!

JOH- you are my role model! I feel like you are 3-4 days ahead of me so I appreciate hearing how you are doing, in hopes that I'll get there, too!

fran- feel better! It must be doubly hard to stay with the program while feeling crappy. Hang in!

Have a great day, all!

I am so glad that we're all buddies in this!! It's a struggle, but it's a struggle for GOOD.

Treig - my mom and I would have had words if I'd walked into that! (I am deathly allergic to peanuts and every time I'm home my mom asks me if I want peanut butter toast!! We have words about that too!)

JoH - I thought of you last night when I sniffed a friend's wine!!

Archived