Chai Tea Latte - how to make it myself

I'm on day 10 and terribly missing my morning chai tea latte. I would put a vanilla creamer in it. Oh yes, so sweet and yummy. I would drink the Keurig ones every day. I can't find a chai tea latte that's whole30 compliant at all. Does anyone know how to make this yourself? It has to be latte for me, as I've tried the chai teas plain and it's just not creamy. Even when I'm done with the whole30, I really don't want to go back to the same one I was drinking because of the added sugar.

I haven't tried this (I like chai tea "as is") but you could maybe try coconut milk instead of the milk ... so basically chai tea with coconut milk instead of chai tea with milk and sweeteners.

But it might be better to just find some other drink entirely that you can enjoy, that doesn't have the SWYPO effect of missing the other kind?

I never thought I could stop missing my black tea + almond milk + stevia in the morning, but then I jumped on the Bulletproof bandwagon and haven't looked back! After brewing your tea (any kind), add MCT oil/coconut oil/ghee (I use 1 tbsp, but the original recipe calls for 4 tbsp or so) and blend the shiz out of it! It becomes surprisingly creamy and satisfying...not at all like a latte, to be honest, but if you want something more substantial than plain tea, it does the trick.

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4927 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Some people use bulletproof coffee to avoid eating food, a way to stave off hunger with fat calories and caffeine. This approach is nearly opposite of what we want you to do during a Whole30. We want you to eat a substantial breakfastwithin one hour of waking in the morning.Eating a real food breakfast when you wake up does good things to your hormonal rhythms and sets you up for better digestion and better sleep. We don't ban bulletproof coffee during a Whole30, but if you are looking to maximize your Whole30 experience, I can assure you that bulletproof coffee will not help. 

•  

Blending a couple eggs into a drink will make it very frothy and latte-like.  Adding some fat (a small amount of coconut milk, or spoonful of coconut oil), will up the richness.  A tiny pinch of salt doesn't hurt.  Just be aware that this makes the drink more meal-like, and that's not ideal per Whole30 guidelines.  

The most compliant solution (aside from finding another drink that doesn't make you wish it was something else) is probably the coconut milk one suggested above--just be sure to take the coconut milk into account as part of your meal's fat content.  Remember that chai is made from a very strong, concentrated tea, so make the tea double strength at least, and use a small amount in proportion to the coconut milk.  This Indian recipe will give you an idea of the proportions (leaving out the sugar and using coconut milk, of course):

http://www.aspicyperspective.com/2012/03/how-to-make-chai-tea.html

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about the latte-ness of it but I have a loose chai tea that I brew just short of the recommended time (helps counter the bitterness the sugar is usually used to cover) and then take a can of coconut milk that is separated, scoop some dollops of the "cream" and whisk. Off of whole30 I would sometimes add a tiny bit of honey. But even without the honey I think it's pretty smooth.

• 1 month later...

Archived