Starting Monday 25th August

ssohappy

Hi.  I have decided to take the whole 30 challenge starting Monday 25th August.  Its the day I start back in work after 3 months vacation so I figure I may as well start everything together.  I'm more than a little nervous about it as it will be a TOTAL change to how I operate food wise.  I am queen of convenient and quick processed foods.  However - I am also really low in energy, tired and over-weight and generally feel a bit yuck in myself.  It is as if my body just wont cooperate with me these days!  

Here's hoping  find it in me to "just do it"!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ssohappy! I'm starting Monday too!! I'm pretty nervous because I've had my share of "staring" and giving up. I've done paleo a few times and a few other similar type diets. I either end up feeling so bad due to carb flu and detoxing that I go back to my SAD diet...or I just lose my "umph" to resist temptation.

I am hoping to deal with the physcholgy behind my eating. What makes someone continue to do the very thing that makes them sick and tierd?? I know the ice cream will make me gain weight and be very very bad for my health, long term and short term... Yet I pick it up and eat it anyway???? I HATE it!!!

So here I go again, another try at changing what so far I've been powerless to change! wish me luck! ....and good luck to you. :) hope to hear some positive progress from both of us!

alissa

I'm going for a second start on my whole 30.  I'll be joining you all on Monday the 25th.  I busted my last try at a week and a half due to some tunafish that had sugar and stuff added.  Lesson learned, read the ingredients label on EVERYTHING before you put it in your mouth.  Be especially careful with beef jerky and salad dressing.  I was unable to find any of those two items at the local market that didn't have gluten and sugar added to them.  I'll be prepping this weekend by making more clarified butter, mayo, and homemade beef jerky.  Jerky is great for a quick breakfast of two hardboiled eggs, some jerky and half an avocado.  Oh hey, when saving the other half of an avocado for lunch, leave the seed in the half you want to save, bag it and put it in the fridge.  This keeps it from turning brown on me.

Hi guys... So how are you doing today! :) so far good for me! Eggs fried in ghee, avocado, an fair little fermented sauerkraut. Lunch was a salad with chicken, pistachios and avocado on it! It was good. I'm not looking forward to the days to come because I know the headaches and dizziness will start! But I'm determined to push through! Also I know from experience I need to eat a LOT of veggies to get higher carb count so i don't get so dizzy! And fats,, fats help with that too. Hope to hear from you!!:)

HI, I'm Dawn, can I join with you ladies? I'm 50 and got 50+lbs to get rid of. I don't like to use the word "loose" cause that implies that you will find it again and I don't want to do that. lol  I'm going to try to start this program tomorrow. I need to go to the store and get veggies and things as we just got home from vacation yesterday. So far today I have only had peas that aren't allowed. it was in the beef stew that I had made. I missed my bread at breakfast but I survived. Bacon and eggs with a glass of water. Homemade beef stew and a glass of water for lunch. Not sure whats for dinner yet. I need to figure that out still. Will check back in later.

Dawn

Hi, I'm Aegina, and have also started today. I hope I can join this group for I could definitely use all the help I can get. :) I'm turning 42 this weekend, and have been feeling very poorly. I have headaches and exhaustion. I think I might be in early stages of insulin resistance. Anyway my doctor thinks it might be the case. Once I read the book, was very inspired to give it a go. I had sweet potato hash with ground lamb using 5 spice and coconut oil for breakfast. Tonight I'm preparing the pad Thai with spaghetti squash. Lunch is just salad and turkey. By the way, do any of you have the book Well Fed? I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Hi ladies!

I just started yesterday (Monday) too!  My big thing is sugar.  I love sugar.  Ice-cream, candy, bread….basically anything that has sugar in it.  I did my first whole30 a couple of months ago and felt GREAT!  But then I went back to my sAD way of eating.  I would really like to make some lasting changes to my taste buds this time.  

I feel like some of it is using sugar/ice-cream for emotional purposes….so my goal this time around is to really get to the emotional root of my eating.  Change my destructive patterns….because I already know that I FEEL better when I eat better.

Anyway…I'm so glad to "meet" you guys!

I did my first whole30 with my ex-boyfriend, so I was a little nervous to do this one on my own.  It's encouraging to know that there are others on a similar path!

xo

Amy

Hi ladies! well I figured out what I'm fixing for dinner. Fresh fish and fresh asparagus and a salad. Not sure what I'm going to do for the dressing yet. I have a great homemade one but it calls for honey which isn't allowed. might just eat it without dressing. Not real thrilled about that though. Any suggestions?

Dawn

• Moderators

Hi ladies! well I figured out what I'm fixing for dinner. Fresh fish and fresh asparagus and a salad. Not sure what I'm going to do for the dressing yet. I have a great homemade one but it calls for honey which isn't allowed. might just eat it without dressing. Not real thrilled about that though. Any suggestions?

Dawn

Olive oil with vinegar or lemon juice, or if you've made mayonnaise, you can thin that a bit with some vinegar and add some herbs for a ranch-like dressing -- or just put a dollop of mayo on the salad, that works too. Or this Zingy Ginger Dressing from Well Fed 2 is good, if you happen to have the ingredients on hand.

Hi,

I'm Wendy.  My husband and I just started the Whole 30 today.  I think we are a little crazy, because not only did we start the Whole 30 today but we also went to a water park/amusement park with our two sons for the day.  And we did it!!!  I did a lot of prep last night and made yummy food for lunch and had dinner all ready to go for when we got home.  I figured if we could make it at an amusement park, we can make it anywhere. We've never eaten paleo before.  We are both excited for the challenge and the rewards.  

Each of us have our reasons for making this big change.  I want more energy, to shed some pounds and I want my chronic scalp psoriasis to go away.  Cheers to all of us.  

First day went well.

Breakfast:  2 eggs, sausage, 1/2 avocado

Lunch:  1/2 chicken breast, tomatoes, onions, cauliflower, 1/2 avocado

Dinner:  1/4 cup ground turkey sauteed with artichoke hearts and mushrooms.  I mixed this with home made tomato sauce seasoned with garlic and italian herbs.  I tossed in a handful of pitted kalamata olives and poured the mixture over roasted, riced cauliflower.  Have enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Now if I could just get the family on board with eating this way so i don't have to fix multiple meals.  I am being a bit sneaking with my son's school lunches.  I pack apples, sugar snap peas, carrots and then I roll ham up with lettuce leaves and make it look cute with a funny toothpick.  For a snack he gets home made beef jerky.  I'm not forcing him to do the whole 30 but I am cutting down on his grain and dairy intake while boosting his protein and vegetable intake.

Hi, I'm Aegina, and have also started today. I hope I can join this group for I could definitely use all the help I can get. :) I'm turning 42 this weekend, and have been feeling very poorly. I have headaches and exhaustion. I think I might be in early stages of insulin resistance. Anyway my doctor thinks it might be the case. Once I read the book, was very inspired to give it a go. I had sweet potato hash with ground lamb using 5 spice and coconut oil for breakfast. Tonight I'm preparing the pad Thai with spaghetti squash. Lunch is just salad and turkey. By the way, do any of you have the book Well Fed? I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Make sure to add some fats at lunch time.  I suggest some avocado or olives.  You'll need the fat in your system or you will be hungry well before dinner time.

Good morning and Happy Day 2

I'm on my 4th W30 I think, did my first in around this time in 2012. Did okay at maintaining through 2013 but went way off course in 2014, not quite sure what happened. Recently had a scare where I thought my Crohn's was flaring really bad, but it seems to have been either brief or a false alarm. But it got me thinking it was time to get my life back on a healthier path, so here I am on day two.

I've got my own daily log going under that forum, but I'm happy to find a bunch of folks starting at the same time for support.

If this is your first time, it's easy to forget or leave out the fat. DON'T. It will make you feel so much better if you follow the meal template and always have some fat with meals. If you find yourself getting hungry before meals frequently, then it's probably the fat you want to tweak.

The first week is usually full of excitement and that helps keep you going. I recommend TODAY putting together an emergency list of fast or ready to go meals for week two (or any bad/hard day you're tempted to quit).

My emergency meal plan (and it should be stuff you always have around):

Scrambled eggs in ghee with prosciutto

Ground beef with red cabbage and horseradish mustard (I've got shredded cabbage in the freezer and a few baggies of cooked ground beef in there too; just toss the frozen contents into pan and heat, add mustard to taste)

Burger patty with mayo and green olives (we keep pre-made patties in the freezer all the time)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi all!

I'm Megan and I also started yesterday. It's my first Whole30 and I'm doing it on my own, so there's definitely some nerves and axiety! I did lots of food prep on Sunday, which made yesterday go pretty smoothly, but I can already tell that my body is pretty grumpy about this whole thing. I've always had a sweet tooth so completely eliminating that will be very interesting. Here's to a great day two!

Hi Ladies! Sitting here having my morning coffee. just laid out pork chops for dinner. not sure how I'm going to fix them, depends on the weather. We grill most of our meats. It's suppose to rain all day. Heading out to the grocery store after breakfast. gotta stock up on chicken(on sale) and veggies. I need to really come up with some ideas on new veggie recipes. Doing the same veggies is boring. Gonna fix bacon and eggs for breakfast again this morning. Think I still might have a avocado I'll eat too.

Hope everyone has a great day

Dawn

Hello Everybody, 

Today is Day 2, I hope you all are feeling good. I don't so much feel hungover this morning as I do not hungry. Pretty much after breakfast yesterday I had to force myself to eat lunch and dinner. Just no appetite whatsoever today either I did realize yesterday that I probably didn't get enough fat. Anybody have any insights? 

Breakfast 

3 Egg Cups - 1.5 eggs total, onion, bell pepper, spinach, bacon (compliant)

Mug Black tea plain

Lunch 

Spaghetti Squash with homemade marinara. In the sauce there were onions, bell pepper, sausage (compliant), summer squash, tomatoes, spinach

Water, Plain Ginger Pear tea 

Dinner

Baked Chicken Thigh with Leg, Roasted Potatoes, Spinach and Carrot Salad. 

• Moderators

Hello Everybody, 

Today is Day 2, I hope you all are feeling good. I don't so much feel hungover this morning as I do not hungry. Pretty much after breakfast yesterday I had to force myself to eat lunch and dinner. Just no appetite whatsoever today either I did realize yesterday that I probably didn't get enough fat. Anybody have any insights? 

Breakfast 

3 Egg Cups - 1.5 eggs total, onion, bell pepper, spinach, bacon (compliant)

Mug Black tea plain

Lunch 

Spaghetti Squash with homemade marinara. In the sauce there were onions, bell pepper, sausage (compliant), summer squash, tomatoes, spinach

Water, Plain Ginger Pear tea 

Dinner

Baked Chicken Thigh with Leg, Roasted Potatoes, Spinach and Carrot Salad. 

Hi, Elise. First, I would check out this thread on what a serving of eggs looks like -- your breakfast was probably a little short on protein.

Second, from what I've read, sometimes when our hormones are out of whack, we don't feel hungry when we should. To get them back in line, the recommendation is to eat when you're supposed to be eating, starting with breakfast within an hour of waking up. For some more explanation, check out moderator Kirsteen's response at the end of this thread, or moderator Tom Denham's response on this thread, and there are others -- google Whole30 not hungry. The book It Starts With Food addresses this as well.

Thanks Shannon! 

I am one of those people who prior to Whole30 had sugary creamy coffee and a pastry/bagel for breakfast most mornings, so I am not used to eating so much in the morning. I'll try to get some more protein in. I had searched for some other threads but couldn't think of the right key words, those other threads are very helpful. 

This is my second attempt at whole 30 and I didn't bother rereading the book this time (just read it about 6 months ago) so I'll go back and reread that chapter. 

Hello there. I too started yesterday. I had one REALLY successful w30, was able to take the healthy eating into the holidays and beyond (successful off roading!) Weight loss wasn't a goal that time but I did lose 10 lbs, plus lots of inches (without changing my nearly non-existent exercise routine), and felt amazing. Sleep- awesome, skin- improved; mood and energy levels- yay!

Found overall I didn't miss much of the SAD foods. Slid easily into paleo and then primal. Did a reset here and there (7-14 days.)

And then... stress. A lot of stress everywhere. And even though I knew I'd feel better eating better I allowed myself to slide back towards poor choices foodwise. They just "seemed easier" even though it wasn't really any harder to cook up some meat & veggies. And I got caught in that cycle, I'm sure most of you are familiar with it "I feel awful, I don't like the way I look, not happy with my weight/size, but....I'm going to eat this brownie/pizza/pop because why the hell not"  I fell into the "Treat" mentality again.

Long and short of it...I'm back, for a full on 30 day commitment. Over the weekend I cleaned out the food items (condiments mainly) I knew I wouldn't have the willpower to ignore. Meal planned (thank you to Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo- awesome resources folks), and had a cook up on Sunday.

Made my mayo last night. That is one thing I've kept around for the most part. If you haven't tried yet, check out The Clothes Make the Girl website, Melissa is the author of the Well Fed cook books. I highly recommend you watch her video. Between that and her notes she covers all of the mishaps and how to fix them. Big BIG note though, do NOT use EVOO. Just don't. Learn from our experiences. You won't like it.

Happy whole30 to one and all :D

Hi Guys!

It's day 3!!  Wahoo!

I made this vegi meatloaf on Sunday, so I've been enjoying the left overs the last three days (along with eggs, nuts, and fruit)  I'm just a single person, so making a recipe of something lasts me awhile :)  I will be making this yummy broccoli, bacon, raisin, sunflower seed salad tonight that will hopefully last me a few days as well.  

I'm not suuuuuper into cooking, so I like the whole "eat a tomato", "eat a bell pepper", "have a hard boiled egg" way of eating instead of making a lot of recipes :)

Just works better for my life!

I did have a terrible ice cream craving last night before bed - argh….I ended up having a handful of cashews and a peach, which filled me up, but wasn't quite as comforting as ice cream :)  I made it through though!

Have a lovely Wednesday everyone!

Amy

I'm Kelly, and I started on the 25th as well. Had been mulling it over, but hadn't looked at the fine details until this weekend and decided I just had to commit! So, here I am, with a massive headache for two days in a row! I know it will go away, so I'm not backing down. I read a few posts yesterday which provided great encouragement. Glad to have found some fellow beginners-I know your words and advice will be priceless!!

I've got a low grade headache and general fuzzy head feeling, which I'm pretty sure is less about the weather and more the "carb flu". I was eating too much SAD (standard american diet) in the last six months.

I know that I can eat a sweet potato or maybe a banana to help with this some, but I'm also just determined to ride this out, in a "demons be gone" kind of fashion.

So I'm going to down some water and spend my 15 minute work break meditating.

On that note, for anyone new to W30, I strongly recommend checking out the timeline on the website. For me, day 5 is one of the worst historically. I'm planning on sleeping a lot this weekend :D  Or maybe gutting my backyard flower bed that's out of control when I feel "kill all the things".

Everybody's W30 is different, everyone is a special snowflake. But it's eery how spot on the timeline is.

Have a great day 3 to all.

Day 3. :) I still have a headache. The only craving a really get is from diet pepsi, but since I've been drinking it since I was 10, not too surprising. Last night I made the pad Thai but with almond butter and zucchini pasta. Wow it was so good. Since I live alone I have lots of leftovers.

I've never been much of a cook, and also very picky. Would have never thought possible to do this but I am. :) I just hope I start feeling better soon. Thanks for all the feedback, it really helps to hear from others like me.

Archived