Starting Monday 25th August

ssohappy

Woke up on Day 3 after A LOT of sleep...I just couldn't keep my eyes open last night. I'm learning I'm one of those people on a Whole30 who doesn't get super hungry, but I've been making sure I eat all three of my meals. Breakfast this morning (sauteed sweet potatoes and apple topped with two fried eggs) was particularly delish.

It's such a relief to see that some of us aren't really 'cooks' here. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and I'm pretty darn good at it, but as I move through this I need to remind myself to keep it simple. It's going to be just as beneficial without me feeling like I need to make a bunch of special recipes each week. I just need to identify and remember what I love that fits Whole30 and then make those things in a simple way.

I haven't had the super hangover feelings (yet!)...just a little fatigued and trying to stay super motivated. Good luck making it through Day 3 and I love having a place to give/get support (and vent :D ).

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 3! 

Feeling much better today, figured out that adding a banana to my breakfast seemed to cure the grumpies/headache/overall meh feeling and kickstarts the appropriate hunger signals for the day. So far, feeling pretty good! I am going through food much more quickly than I anticipated so need to go shopping again tonight. My boyfriend is sort of doing this with me (i.e. he is eating the food that I make him) but feeling pretty strong. So far the only thing I am missing is my daily latte. I found some coconut milk based creamer to try after my 30 days is up though so I am pretty excited for that! 

Hi everyone,

Day 3.  I am lucky in that my husband and my sister (who lives across the country from me) are also doing the Whole 30 with me.  My sister is pregnant also and is experiencing super intense cravings for SAD foods.  Is there any advice I can give her.  She says it isn't because she is hungry, just cravings.  She seems to be following the template, but I am not positive on her proportions of protein, veggies and fat.

I am just tired.  I was grouchy yesterday evening.  I am really looking forward to the feeling of energy, honestly I feel like I haven't had "energy" in years. 

I'm enjoying reading about your progress and meals.  

:-)

Wendy

Happy Day 4, everyone!

I'm definitely still feeling pretty lethargic, but at least I didn't pass out at 9:45 like I did on Tuesday :)

My biggest obstacle so far is that I'm just not very hungry. I know it can happen with Whole30, but it's extra frustrating...didn't even want my breakfast this morning but ate anyway. Anyone else having problems with this?

Been lucky enough to not have many cravings, but the food dreams have started. Weirdly enough, last night it was actually about cooking Whole30, but I was doing everything in the wrong order!

Also, if you haven't tried the Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed yet, it is incredible. Just had to throw that out there.

Love hearing about all your progress! Let's show Day 4 what's up!

Well day 4 and I actually feel terrific. I don't want to kill all things as the timeline says...but that is subject to change ;) I am feeling hungry between breakfast and lunch so tomorrow I am going to boost my vegetable intake. I notice I don't feel this way after lunch and dinner so thinking that's it. I'm not "craving" anything but snacking...yes I am craving snacking...nothing in particular, just the picking food...but i'm staying strong thus far :)

Oh and I did find a hot sauce besides Franks that is Whole30 compliant...Louisana hot sauce. I found a pretty good size bottle for $1 at Dollar General...wohoo!!! Looking forward to using this on tonights dinner.

Hello Day 4:)

I've never lost my appetite on W30, but know its pretty common for lots of people. The main thing is to stick to your meals. There are so many changes in your body getting started now, you may find yourself swinging to starving and can't get enough unexpectedly.

Wendy Y, have you or your sister checked out the W30 blog posts? They started doing some about pregnancy and the W30 last year when the Hartwigs were expecting their first baby. And there may be a forum section devoted to pregnancypecific issues she could check for tips.

Yesterday was a little "meh" but today is wonderful. Have a great day:)

Wendy Y, have you or your sister checked out the W30 blog posts? They started doing some about pregnancy and the W30 last year when the Hartwigs were expecting their first baby. And there may be a forum section devoted to pregnancypecific issues she could check for tips.

Thanks :-)  I have not yet and I don't think my sister has joined this forum.  I will suggest it.  

Hey guys!  I started yesterday, Aug 27th.  So far I am feeling great!  Yesterday was much easier than I thought it would be.  I told my fiance that he couldn't surprise me with treats for the next month and i'm having him take my coffee creamer and yogurts to his work.  I took some before photos and hopefully i'll have something to show at the end of this!

I'm doing the whole 30 because i'm experiencing extreme reactions to something i'm eating.  I wake up with a flat(ish) stomach and by 5 PM or so it looks like i'm 6 months pregnant.

Oh, coconut milk in my Kona coffee isn't that bad... my fiance tried it this morning and loved it!  I told him i'd trick him into doing this with me!

Day 4:

I let myself sleep in.  (I work from home, for myself so I luckily have that flexibility)  I think allowing myself a full 8.5 hours will help a lot today.  I was soooo tired yesterday.

Okay here's my issue.  I haven't had a bowel movement in two days.  I am not super uncomfortable, but I am really aware of the fact.  Before the Whole30 I never missed a day.  I always thought that my coffee my be what was doing it for me, but I haven't cut out coffee (just the sugar that used to go in it).  I bet there are answers already out there, I'll go looking.  Just wondering if anyone else is having digestive woes.

So far, no big cravings.  

Hope you all have a great day!

So far so good. Had our monthly Big farmer's market today. Went with my sister on this gorgeous day, so got some fun, social, sunshine time. Picked up some good veggies. Found a meat vendor with compliant items. And treated myself to a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and some sweet almond soap. So I left happy that I had contributed to our local farmers and didn't miss the food "treats".

Started my exercise portion last night. My motivation to get it done: since I prefer to do videos at home I feel it necessary to do right after work, less disturbance for my downstairs neighbor :)

Okay here's my issue.  I haven't had a bowel movement in two days.  I am not super uncomfortable, but I am really aware of the fact.  Before the Whole30 I never missed a day.  I always thought that my coffee my be what was doing it for me, but I haven't cut out coffee (just the sugar that used to go in it).  I bet there are answers already out there, I'll go looking.  Just wondering if anyone else is having digestive woes.

I remember my first time around, I was a little perturbed by the changes my bathroom habits. Similar situation, wasn't necessarily uncomfortable but aware. Part of it is your body adjusting to the new set up. For me, partly it just worked itself out as I adjusted, and during my second w30 I got fairly uncomfortable, so started having a "dose" of sauerkraut each day and that helped bunches. I know it's addressed somewhere in here, sorry for the lack of links, about probiotics and incorporating fermented foods.

Day 4 woohoo! 

Still going strong over here. Also having quite a bit of variety in the restroom, but noticing that it seems to be pretty directly related to how much fruit I am eating. 

I'm having a way easier go of it this round than I did my last attempt. Still need to focus on getting enough veggies in. Also continuing to look for fast easy recipes. But for lunch today I made chicken salad with homemade mayo and it was absolutely delicious! 

So just to check, the thumb rule doesn't apply to avocado's right? Because obviously a thumbful of avocado is like, two bites. It's 1/2 to one whole in a sitting correct? 

Hola! So we've made it to day 4. Congrats to everyone struggling with new habits, headaches, feeling sludgy etc.

I am finally beginning to feel a little better. The headache seems to be gone and have slight increased energy and mental clarity. I am getting more in the habit of food prep which is something I've lacked in the past. Breakfast is the most difficult meal for me. I don't like avocados so that option is not possible. I've made the sweet potato hash, but would love something simpler and more exciting than egg, egg, and more eggs. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Oh by the way, for those struggling with digestive issues, I have experienced that with juicing fasts before. Keep up the good work. :)

• Moderators

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight is the usual recommendation -- so if you weigh 100 lbs, 50 oz of water).  Some people report making sure they have enough fat in their meals helps. A lot of people recommend digestive enzymes as well, but I'm not sure what brands are compliant. Google Whole30 constipation for more tips -- google seems to work better than the search button in the forum.

So just to check, the thumb rule doesn't apply to avocado's right? Because obviously a thumbful of avocado is like, two bites. It's 1/2 to one whole in a sitting correct? 

That's correct on the avocado. I'm sure you have the meal template, but just in case, here's the link to it.

Breakfast is the most difficult meal for me. I don't like avocados so that option is not possible. I've made the sweet potato hash, but would love something simpler and more exciting than egg, egg, and more eggs. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Google Whole30 breakfast no eggs and you'll find lots of discussions about this. In general, though, remember that you don't need to have special breakfast foods -- whatever foods you would have for other meals, are good for breakfast too. Soup is good. Leftovers. If you've been making your eggs the same way every morning, try changing that up, sometimes if you've been having fried eggs every morning, having an omelette or a frittata may be enough difference to feel like you're changing things up.

As for me, so far, so good food-wise, but my goal to add in some exercise is not going so great. I tend to procrastinate, so I put off exercising until later in the day, and then it gets too late to do it. I should probably get up now and do something before I have to start work.

Hi Shannon, 

Thanks again! I was looking over it but must have just missed it somehow. I appreciate your patience! 

Not sure what kind of exercise you are into, but bodyrock.tv has HIIT workouts that last 5 to 15 minutes and can be done with very little equipment or space in your own home. They are obviously high intensity, but if its a matter of fitting it into your life time-wise they might be a good option? 

• Moderators

Hi Shannon, 

Thanks again! I was looking over it but must have just missed it somehow. I appreciate your patience! 

Not sure what kind of exercise you are into, but bodyrock.tv has HIIT workouts that last 5 to 15 minutes and can be done with very little equipment or space in your own home. They are obviously high intensity, but if its a matter of fitting it into your life time-wise they might be a good option? 

You're welcome. And don't worry about it, there's so much information, it's easy to miss or forget some of the details. Part of why I keep hanging out on the forum and answering questions when I can is that it reinforces it for me, or sometimes makes me go looking for answers I hadn't thought to ask about before.

Part of my exercise problem is I'm so out of shape at this point, I'm not even sure where to start. I'll look at that website and see if it looks doable.

Happy Day 4, everyone!

I'm definitely still feeling pretty lethargic, but at least I didn't pass out at 9:45 like I did on Tuesday :)

My biggest obstacle so far is that I'm just not very hungry. I know it can happen with Whole30, but it's extra frustrating...didn't even want my breakfast this morning but ate anyway. Anyone else having problems with this?

Been lucky enough to not have many cravings, but the food dreams have started. Weirdly enough, last night it was actually about cooking Whole30, but I was doing everything in the wrong order!

Also, if you haven't tried the Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed yet, it is incredible. Just had to throw that out there.

Love hearing about all your progress! Let's show Day 4 what's up!

Not very hungry? No! The opposite... hungry hungry hungry. In the morning, in the afternoon, in the middle of the night. And I am eating *lots*.

And Sunshine Sauce is the bomb. I'm almost afraid to make it again because I might just eat the whole batch of it with a spoon.

As for day 4, I made what I consider a major achievement. I went out to dinner at our neighborhood Mexican restaurant with my husband and daughter, and I did NOT have chips and I did NOT have margaritas! I had a big plate of romaine lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, and steak (which was probably cooked with a seed oil, but under the new rules a bit of that's ok when dining out). I know that sounds like, duh, of course you didn't have chips and margaritas because you're doing a Whole30. But I had such a stressful day at work, and going to this place and sharing a pitcher of margaritas with my husband is such a tradition/habit/happy place for me, that I really did not know if I could go there and be strong enough to stay true to Whole30. But I did... yay me!

Not very hungry? No! The opposite... hungry hungry hungry. In the morning, in the afternoon, in the middle of the night. And I am eating *lots*.

And Sunshine Sauce is the bomb. I'm almost afraid to make it again because I might just eat the whole batch of it with a spoon.

As for day 4, I made what I consider a major achievement. I went out to dinner at our neighborhood Mexican restaurant with my husband and daughter, and I did NOT have chips and I did NOT have margaritas! I had a big plate of romaine lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, and steak (which was probably cooked with a seed oil, but under the new rules a bit of that's ok when dining out). I know that sounds like, duh, of course you didn't have chips and margaritas because you're doing a Whole30. But I had such a stressful day at work, and going to this place and sharing a pitcher of margaritas with my husband is such a tradition/habit/happy place for me, that I really did not know if I could go there and be strong enough to stay true to Whole30. But I did... yay me!

GREAT job! I still consider it a major accomplishment to go out to eat and stay compliant :)  And this is my 4th W30. No "duh" at all. Actually, given the way I've been eating the last 6 months, if I had a stressful day right now on the W30, I'd probably cancel my dinner out. I'm just not sure it would be the right environment at the moment. But good for you to recognizing you were stressed and sticking to your W30!

Once I get into the hang of things again, and hopefully as everyone moves forward with their W30, I find that that there a lots of ways and places to stay compliant and enjoy eating out. I even have this favorite Italian place that always seemed all pasta-pasta-pasta. Now, I know that I can go and enjoy a nice evening on their patio while eating compliantly (from salads minus the cheese, to salmon and steamed veggies, to steaks with tomato sauce). My fave at our local Mexican place is a giant fajita platter with just the meat, grilled veg, guac and salsa.

Hope everyone has a great Day 5, it's Friday! And a holiday weekend :D

That sentence seemed very perky. Traditionally Day 5 has been "kill all the things" for me and the day that I most think about not doing this W30 thing. I don't feel great physically, but feel pretty good mood wise. So maybe this W30 is different......

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Happy Day 5 all! I can't believe after today, we'll be 1/6 of the way through our Whole30 (I'm all about the math and whatnot when it comes to things like this)

Started to have some food boredom yesterday, but the Bora Bora Fireballs from Well Fed were incredible for dinner and made me feel back on track. Didn't sleep wonderfully and having some digestive issues, but know those are perfectly normal at this stage.

Still not super hungry, especially at breakfast, but am eating meals as I should and trying to hang in there! Ready for a long weekend when I can let myself rest as needed and will hopefully find some energy for a nice walk, which I've been missing.

Friday, day 5 and long weekend!  Hard to know if fuzzy head/headache is weather related or w30, probably a bit of both. Staying full.

Had a slight panic moment this morning, running behind and realized I didn't have any breakfast prepped. Seriously considered just calling in, didn't think I'd be able to resist the no-way-in-hackable-hell breakfast foods available in my office.  But huzzah! Remembered I had left a container of bora bora fireballs, hb egg and compliant lunchmeat at work last night so good to go once I got in.

Got a walk in this morning on break. Exercised Wednesday & Thursday. Today looks to be a quiet one at work so going to meal plan (not my greatest strength, but getting better :) )

And for those celebrating the Labor Day weekend, I personally feel that Grill-centric food gatherings are the easiest to navigate, once you get past the bbq sauce :ph34r: So have a great one!

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight is the usual recommendation -- so if you weigh 100 lbs, 50 oz of water).  Some people report making sure they have enough fat in their meals helps. A lot of people recommend digestive enzymes as well, but I'm not sure what brands are compliant. Google Whole30 constipation for more tips -- google seems to work better than the search button in the forum.

As for me, so far, so good food-wise, but my goal to add in some exercise is not going so great. I tend to procrastinate, so I put off exercising until later in the day, and then it gets too late to do it. I should probably get up now and do something before I have to start work.

Thanks Shannon!  I am probably not drinking enough water.  I will really work on that.

I have the same issue with exercise.  Darn procrastination ;-)  Here's to an earlier work out.  

I remember my first time around, I was a little perturbed by the changes my bathroom habits. Similar situation, wasn't necessarily uncomfortable but aware. Part of it is your body adjusting to the new set up. For me, partly it just worked itself out as I adjusted, and during my second w30 I got fairly uncomfortable, so started having a "dose" of sauerkraut each day and that helped bunches. I know it's addressed somewhere in here, sorry for the lack of links, about probiotics and incorporating fermented foods.

Thanks Sarah. 

I am familiar with the wonders and deliciousness of fermented veggies.  I've been bummed that they haven't been the magic bullet.  As Shannon suggested below, it is possible that I'm not drinking enough water.  I'll keep up with the sauerkraut and up my H2O and hope for the best.

Hi everyone,

So far so good. Not having the headache today. Had lots of energy yesterday till about 8pm then I fell asleep watching tv. Having lots of energy today too. Getting some boxes unpacked from our move. Finally getting some energy for getting this house in order. I just had to get on the scale today for some extra motivation. I'm down 4lbs already. That's making me really wanting to stick to this program. I can't wait to see what I get rid of by the end of the 30 days. I'm so excited!! My knee is killing me today. I know its because of the extra weight I'm carrying. Gonna do this!!

Dawn

Today is day three... and I am struggling!  My head is swimmy and achy, i'm exhausted, and nothing I eat leaves me satisfied!

I know that this will pass but today sucks!  I crossfit M-Thursday and take Fridays off so this is the perfect day to feel like this.  I am hoping to get through today soon!

Happy day six!

Slept a little better last night and woke up ready for a football Saturday! Thankfully I've been mentally preparing for this all week so tailgating and concession stand food will not get me off track dang it.

I'm excited to do some meal planning before heading off to the stadium because tomorrow is prep day again!

How's everyone doing? Anything you're excited to try in the coming week? Y'all are amazing and we can do this!

Archived