Starting Monday 25th August

ssohappy

Oof. I woke up optimistic but today really has been tough...it's all the timeline said it would be! I was super focused on what I wasn't allowed to eat, and it really filled my thoughts a lot today.

Also, lots of thoughts about what happens after the Whole30. Will I still be able to go to a restaurant occasionally and order whatever I want and not feel like a pile of awful after? Will I be able to enjoy non-Whole30 foods that are still rather healthy? Lots of questions/fears/nerves floating around.

I'm heading into a three-day stretch of not always having the most control over my meals. I'll be arming myself with a cooler full of Whole30 friendly foods and have already examined the restaurants I'll be visiting to see what on their menu might work. Hope I'm ready!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much, Dawn. Deep inside I know I can do it, but it's so great to hear it from others too. No to go fill my cooler for the next three days!

Hi Caroline- Welcome! We're so happy to have you here! I definitely wouldn't put anything past our digestive system the first couple of weeks. I know that mine has been taking me for a ride since I started! It's just important to remember that your system is healing and that can take on lots of symptoms. Hope you get feeling better soon and hang in there!

• Moderators

Hey guys!

I started my first Whole30 on Aug. 25, too, but am just now finding this forum. Is anyone else experiencing nausea, sour stomach and low energy today?

Is this normal for this week?

Not really. The timeline of what you might experience is here. Nausea and sour stomach make me think you might have some kind of bug/virus (any fever?) or maybe you ate something that didn't agree with you. If it's just starting today, think about what you've eaten the last day or so -- anything new that you hadn't ever had before? Or anything that you ate a lot of that normally you only have a little of? 

I work in a bakery and today was hard because we had a lot of cupcakes leftover at the end... i took one home to give to my fiance!  Can't wait to start day 9 tomorrow.  I haven't been that hungry lately.  I get hungry right after I eat for a short period and that's it.  Kind of odd!

Speaking of birthdays, this Friday is my birthday.  My fiance already bought my favorite cake supplies and I'm trying to decide if I should just have a slice and restart my 30.  I don't mind restarting for one cupcake, it's still kind of important to me to celebrate my birthday.  I'm not craving the cake and I don't need it but a part of me definitely wants it.

Good morning everyone

Welcome Caroline.

I made a post last night but guess the internet ate it. Lol. Anyway....

Comomegs.... See I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it!

Hope everyone is having a great day so far. I'm sitting by the lake with only one other person on the beach. It's great to come here on weekdays when everyone else is working.

Hope everyone has a great day and remember We can do this.

Dawn

Good morning, feeling pretty good this morning, Happy Day 11:)

I stayed up later than I should have last night, but I was determined to make a W30 compliant Swedish meatball recipe. Made a ton of meatballs and the mushroom sauce came out pretty well. I think I'll tweak the sauce a bit next time to boost the flavor, more onion and mushroom and spices into the sauce than the recipe called for. Used arrowroot for the first time as a thickener, not quite the gravy of traditional Swedish Meatballs, but pretty darn good. Had it over cauli-rice. Could see this as a frequent dinner into the colder months ahead. Especially because I can freeze the meatballs and sauce separately.

There's something about fall that makes me really enjoy being in the kitchen. Normally, when not on a W30, I'd have enjoyed a glass of red wine will cooking the night away. Instead, I enjoyed a mango La Croix with a splash of mango juice. Maybe next time I'll put that into a pretty wine glass ;)  I missed the red wine a little, but really didn't feel deprived. Had the radio going and cooked away.

I'm ready for the weather to cool off, but it's going to be hot and muggy the next few days here in Michigan. Looks like chicken salad kind of weather.

Of course part of the W30 is thinking about our choices. I've discovered that my spur of the moment wants often get in the way of my overall wants (especially in regards to diet and exercise). So, I'm working on this question "is what I want right now helping or hurting what I want overall?".

Outside of food and exercise, I'm a very organized and responsible future-oriented planner type. I've been thinking about how my history with Crohn's disease and years of enforced food deprivations (I'd have months on liquids only, no raw veggies for years on end, months of soft foods only) has kind of skewed my food choices the last few years. Looking back, I think I'm often (since getting my disease under better control) taking a total "hey life is short" and "seize the day (cupcake)" kind of view on food. Which is overall hurting me, as I have gotten heavier and felt worse about myself (which seems to lead me to spend way too much time worrying about appearance and self-esteem) and seen my overall willpower diminish a bit.

So, yay W30, for some insight into my behaviors:)

Day 11. Ever feel like you're just cruising along at something you thought would more difficult so you start to wonder what you're doing wrong? Maybe I should just shut up and count myself fortunate to be among the few who don't experience withdrawal from SAD foods as harshly as others :ph34r:. But I still found myself re-reading all of my ingredient lists last night. Didn't find any hidden "oh-no's!"

Exercise will be on hold for a minute. Made mayo last night and for the first time Ever I dropped my food processor blade. Managed to get myself mostly out of the way, but sliced my big toe. That fear as I processed the realization it was falling....Oy. I was calmer in the aftermath than I would have thought if you had asked me a week ago how I would respond.

Whipped up some egg salad for lunch to use some of that hard earned mayo :). You know how sometimes you just want things like tuna, egg salad or a burger On something? Not a craving for bread. My lettuce I got yesterday wasn't washed yet so I tried beet chips (ones I made, just beets, olive oil, oven and patience). Interesting. Not bad, probably not for everyone; but I often like strange flavor combinations. It made me eat my food more slowly ("chips" were a chewy after being sealed up). And added the veg component to my protein and fat.

The quote function isn't working but

Thecatsanova, Happy nearly Birthday! Part of Whole30 is expanding and examining our relationship with food. Our social interactions and life events practically revolve around "special" food, but they don't have to. I am a baker, so I really understand how cake/cupcake = Birthday (and I'm that family member who wants to Feed people when they're stressed, sick, etc.) But this far in, is one cupcake truly worth restarting? Unfortunately it appears your bday falls right in the point in time a lot people fall off for many a reason. (this is not saying just give up). And later in their forum you'll see them lamenting. You can still have a nice, celebratory meal without the traditional finish. What about starting a new tradition together? Something you've wanted to do but have put off for some reason... Just a thought. (paraphrasing from old Hartwig's advice here)

But if you do decide the cupcake is truly worth it, you're not a Failure, you won't be banned from w30. You're an adult and you made a choice. That choice affects no one but yourself. But get right back on with a new day 1, be mindful of this point in the timeline and Whole30 on :)

• Moderators

I work in a bakery and today was hard because we had a lot of cupcakes leftover at the end... i took one home to give to my fiance!  Can't wait to start day 9 tomorrow.  I haven't been that hungry lately.  I get hungry right after I eat for a short period and that's it.  Kind of odd!

Speaking of birthdays, this Friday is my birthday.  My fiance already bought my favorite cake supplies and I'm trying to decide if I should just have a slice and restart my 30.  I don't mind restarting for one cupcake, it's still kind of important to me to celebrate my birthday.  I'm not craving the cake and I don't need it but a part of me definitely wants it.

Cupcakes will still be there after your 30 days are up. Just put off the celebration for a little while. For your birthday, have your favorite Whole30 compliant meal. Or splurge on a steak. If I were to make up a perfect W30 celebratory dinner, I'd grill a steak (maybe saute some mushrooms to go on top), sweet potato (could be baked or roasted, or cut into slices and grilled), maybe some asparagus (bacon or prosciutto wrapped if you want it really decadent), a really nice salad, and finish it all up with a couple of slices of fresh grilled pineapple. Have it with some kombucha (if you like kombucha -- it's kind of an acquired taste) or some sparkling water with a bit of fruit. But that's just me -- do what would feel special for you.

Or don't do food for celebration at all. Go to a museum. Go see a play. Go to the movies. Hiking or rock climbing, if that's your thing. Is there something you've been wanting to try or someplace you've been wanting to go but never got around to it? Do that.

Go ahead and finish out your 30 days. Trust me, it's easier to finish this 30 than to try to do another --you've already got the momentum going for you, you're almost halfway through.

Thanks guys!

I really don't want the cupcake, I just feel bad that he bought the cake mix and frosting already!  The bakery I work at gives you a free cake for your birthday but I'm skipping that as well.  I think i'm going to tell him tonight that I will just wait three weeks to bake the cake with him and then we can put candles on it!  Thanks for the support and helping me see that it's more important to stay on track than eat on cupcake I don't really want.

I have a big weekend planned with traveling and a music festival so the celebration will still be there :)

So, today is day 9!  It's so funny how dead on the Whole 30 Timeline is.  Today my pants are tight and according to the timeline, my gut is adjusting to my lifestyle changes!  

Good for you for resisting the cake for now. Yes is it quite on the threads today. Sitting here in the camper with a storm blowing in. Not fun. Had a late lunch. Lettuce and roast beef roll ups, pistachios, and a peach.

Hope everyone is having a great day

We can do this

Dawn

Got my first "what are you eating?!?" this morning. It was one of those days... late start, coffee pot decided to up and die (fortunately it gave me a mug's worth before it's last gasp), issues wrapping my injured toe... But I had breakfast (mostly) prepped! Slow roasted a sweet potato last night, that with coconut milk, blueberries, and the mostly was there was supposed to be some sausage but for numerous reasons that didn't happen. HB egg stashed at work will be protein this morning.

Have been much better about eating my breakfast at home vs at my desk. But this morning's events meant no time. So as I'm trying to eat my potentially messy breakfast as discreetly as possible I hear "What is that?!" tinged with a tone of horror/disgust/something weird. :rolleyes:

I just said my delicious breakfast and turned to my computer. This is a person who has in the past felt the need to comment on many a thing and somehow make it all sound negative. The first couple of times I tried to respond with my 'elevator pitch' but gave that up long ago. She's just a busybody.

Anywho, not letting this get me down. I'm going to finish enjoying my delightful breakfast, knowing I'm on a path to better health and more, and ignore all of the party food laying about.

Good morning, it's Day 12 for me.

Happy Birthday Catsanova, and good for you on finding other ways to celebrate :)  You may even find that in 3 weeks you won't really want to make that cake mix.

So glad it's Friday. Heading to our best friends' home tomorrow night to grill and watch football games (big games for Michiganders, both MSU and U of M fans). I'm fortunate to have very awesome friends. They know I'm doing a W30, so we're grilling chicken kabobs (chicken, peppers, onions, pineapple). They're leaving the marinade off a few for me. I'm making a chopped salad, thinking of trying a mayo-based dressing (just found the great blog post on things you can make with mayo http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/).

I've got sparkling water to mix up a few mocktails and we're going to grill pineapple and peaches as well.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and has options in mind for staying on track with any social plans

Happy Birthday Catsanova!!

Good morning every one

Having a hard time posting from my stupid phone today. So this will be short. Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm still doing this. It is possible to stay compliant while camping. So if I can do it so can YOU!

Hope everyone has a great day.

We CAN do this

Dawn

Happy Birthday Catsanova!!

Good morning every one

Having a hard time posting from my stupid phone today. So this will be short. Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm still doing this. It is possible to stay compliant while camping. So if I can do it so can YOU!

Hope everyone has a great day.

We CAN do this

Dawn

I saw a great idea, and I can't remember where, to grill pineapple over the campfire while others toast marshmallows! You CAN stay W30, enjoy!

No marshmallows for this camper! We can't even have a campfire at night because of the wind and rain storms. We only do marshmallows when we bring other families with us that has small children. When it's just adults, it's Margaritas! None this trip though!

Have a great rest of your day everyone.

We can do this

Dawn

Welcome to Day 13 all!

Hard to believe we're almost halfway there! One of the things I've noticed has been my lack of cravings as I'm driving around town. I've always been very prone to stopping on the way home from work to grab a quick dinner or stopping for a treat when I'm out running errands. Just over the past few days, those thoughts don't even cross my mind because I know my meals are planned out and ready to be thrown together once I'm home.

I do spend a ton of time thinking about food, but I think that's typical of any lifestyle overhaul like this. I also still have some anxiety/fear about reintroduction, but it's something I'm working through after many years of making bad food choices.

I hope you all have outstanding day 13's and we can do this!

Megan

Good morning everyone.

I'm back from my camping trip. Got home yesterday evening and picked up my cookbooks from the post office on my way in. They look really good. Already found a few recipes I want to make this week. Need to go to the grocery store to get some of the ingredients though. Looks like I might have to go over the mountain to go to sprouts to get them though. That's a one hour drive one way. That's where our only Sprouts is. Can't find the coconut aminos or ghee on this side of town.

Gonna make this short this morning as I have a lot to do(laundry) from our camping trip.

Everyone have a great day.

We CAN do this

Dawn

Day14!!

I can tell that having a goal of 30 days with no mess ups has been extremely helpful to pushing me through. Also the newsletters and reading these posts. I think typically I would have given up around day 12. (That is usually how long I last when I'm trying once again to give up SAD food and eat a healthy whole foods diet.) It's that day where even the timeline says we start looking at that cheese and ice team and want it sooooo bad. I could tell that had it not been for whole30 I would have started rationalizing without even noticing. "Well I should allow my self some lee-way bc when anyone is do black and white they fail" or "oh cheese? That's real food, not processed, of course your body can handel it!" And pathetically of all, "give yourself a free day, you'll start bac up tomorrow!" The last one I'll never understand how I believe myself on that cause I never do start back up the next day, but instead spin out of control" everytime! Lol. Anyway do it was good to read in the newsletter that on day 11&12 we would see how much of a psychological hold food has on us! I'm glad to have made it through that!!!

On another note: I went out with the family on an all day trip and went out for dinner last night. I ordered a burger and ate it without buns and with mustard onion pickle lettuce tomatoe. I also ordered fries bc I thought oh potato we're allowed to have potatoes! After about 4 of them I remembered, wait I don't think we can have fries bc they are deep fried and I stopped eating them.

OPINION PLEASE!!! WOULD YOU START OVER IF THAT WERE YOU??

Good morning, It's Day 15!

Alissamb, I'm not sure on the french fry question, about restarting. The whole white potato thing is so new, I'm not sure where it falls. The potato itself is compliant but the preparation isn't. Maybe look around the forum and see if you can find a moderator weighing in?

I've never been big into weighing myself. I'm guessing that you're dying to weigh yourself because you feel like you're making progress towards your goals and you want confirmation. May I suggest: tally up your non-scale victories. That scale won't tell you anything you don't already know. And it's outside of you, which is sort of looking to someone/thing else to tell you your're doing well. You know you're doing well. You can feel it.

I see my progress in: my jeans fitting better, my skin clearing up and my face just looking more even and glowy without any makeup, my energy is much more even through a day, I'm feeling way less sensitive about my husband resting his hand on my stomach (I'm not sure why this is ever an issue, but it is for me), and my generally sunny outlook.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense about the scale. It helps understanding why. I will see what any of the veterans around here think about the fries. I have no idea what oil the resteraunts used. I may just keep going an extra two weeks, just in case.

Archived