Pre and Post-workouts for Vegetarians?

mparsonage

I am on day 18 and I'm still feeling an afternoon slump and it makes working out unbearable.  I would like to start getting up early and working out in the morning when I have the most energy, but I'm not sure what to eat.  I read in some other forum topics that eggs are not ideal for pre and post because of their fat content.  I will also be running off to work directly afterward.  Hard boiled eggs and some veggies tend to be a staple for my fast breakfasts on the way to work.  Is there another good protein source for pre and post workouts for vegetarians?

My understanding of the purpose of the post workout meal is to feed your muscles with protein quickly while they are extra receptive and to restore lost glycogen. You do this without fat so that it is digested more quickly. Having another compliant meal an hour later is your normal food with fat to help you feel sustained until the next meal. You need the extra food when you workout just like your car needs more gas when you take a road trip vs just your daily commute.

Archived