Off-roading along formed tracks

leahcarn

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, mods please delete if it's not appropriate.

I have always been a person, and come from a family, who celebrate things with food, and I have been doing paleo for over a year and a half.

Doing whole30 has made me more conscious of things I am willing to give up (random scones at morning tea), and things I am not willing to give up (hubbys 30th birthday cake).

I want to set a healthy example for my family and eventual children, and yet the recipes I remember from my childhood are all very non-paleo and usually unhealthy.

I want to pass on better recipes for my children.

I want to be able to celebrate (outside of the times I am doing a strict whole30), with wedding cakes, and baking as a thank you, and all the other times food enriches our lives, without copping a gluten/dairy/sugar bomb, and I don't want to venture into SWYPO territory, of replacements that aren't as good as the SAD version.

If I google paleo baking, they all have cups of added honey or maple syrup added, which is not IMO, any better than sugar.

Can we start a recipe share of baking for special occasions, which fits the whole30 ingredient profile, with whole-foods only sweeteners, and actually taste fantastic?

Sometimes, we have to stay in our own lane.

Off roading with paleo baking, sweetners, honey, maple 'surple', even coconut sugar, fruit juices is making swapped out versions for the real thing.

During a Whole 30, we don't bake cakes, treats or even pancakes.

Holidays and special occasions come and go....but a Whole 30 is 30 days.  The knowledge will last you a lifetime if you engage the brain and totally commit to the process.   It will help you create a new pattern for old habits that really aren't that great.   Most families celebrate with food but during 30 days, you can stand on your head...so to speak and forget about treats.   

I know, but even outside of whole30, I don't want to put any of that rubbish into my body. Gluten and dairy really knock me round, and sugar just gives me a headache.

I should have been clearer I am talking about for outside of whole30, but I just didn't know where else to ask.

If I can be the person in my family who brings the cake (so to speak), everyone eats healthier

"Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain *perceives* the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined.Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it's that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.

You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out.

I don't have an affinity for pancakes either, and I could eat Paleo pancakes without having it send me into a craving spiral. But the rules are the rules, and all we ask is that people follow them for 30 days. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best success possible. What you choose to do after the month is up is entirely up to you.

I hope this helps to explain our position. "

Melissa 

•  

Power comes from the heart...

"If I google paleo baking, they all have cups of added honey or maple syrup added, which is not IMO, any better than sugar."

"Can we start a recipe share of baking for special occasions with whole-foods only sweeteners, and actually taste fantastic?"

I think you might have a hard time finding recipes that don't use sugar in some form or other. You could try reducing the quantities that the recipes call for? That could be a fun bonding time with your kids too - the discussion of how to make it, the experimentation, the trial and error?

Whole foods only sweeteners: I assume you mean things like dates, over ripe bananas, pureed pineapple. Um, I can't really think of many others...

• Moderators

I think GoJo09 is probably right, finding baked desserts with no kind of sugar, honey, or molasses will be hard. I've made a banana bread with no sweetener other than the bananas before, but it used regular flour so not helpful for gluten free. Plus it really wasn't all that great.

To me, if it's a really special occasion that doesn't occur often, use the sweetener that works best in whatever you're making, even though that sweetener isn't really healthy. If it's something that might happen more often, like a big Sunday dinner with the whole family, but you want something dessert-like, go with seasonal fruit. It can be raw or baked or grilled, and topped with coconut cream or toasted nuts to make it seem even more special. If you've baked things in the past as gifts, consider other options. I made jars of spiced nuts this past Christmas for gifts, completely whole30 compliant, and took less time than baking a bunch of cookies would have. Or make jars of homemade salsa.

You talk about instilling good habits in your future children. I personally wish I didn't have the expectation of dessert at the end of most meals, and wherever this habit of eating sweet stuff when I'm unhappy or angry (or for that matter, when I'm happy and celebrating) came from, it is definitely not healthy. Make desserts something really special that you don't have very often, but when you do have them, make them taste really special.

• Moderators

Can we start a recipe share of baking for special occasions, which fits the whole30 ingredient profile, with whole-foods only sweeteners, and actually taste fantastic?

No. We get this question repeatedly and we appreciate that it comes from a good place, but the Whole30 forum is not a place to learn about or share baking recipes. I delete "special occasion" recipes whenever I find them. Angry people have appealed all the way to the Supreme Court (Melissa Hartwig) on several occasions. The court has been firm on upholding this decision.

I personally think it is fine to bake and eat treats on special occasions. I'll modify recipes or use paleo recipes because my ulcerative colitis won't let me off-road with "real" treats containing gluten or dairy, or too much sugar at once.

I do, however, really really really appreciate that this space is free of treat recipes. This is not the place I go for paleo sweets. The internet is full of those. I google what I want and then just take my pick. This site, this is where I go for inspiration and support in eating and cooking real food. And I like that! :)

Leah, I have followed Tom's/moderators' lead for 80 days.  He and other moderators lead by example.   When others were doing something else, I stayed in my own lane.  I didn't deviate from the Book, I've learned that all of this is really  for my benefit.

When you get a few more days or weeks under your belt, you won't give two hoots about treats.  When I'm asked to bring something to the party, I don't make a variation on a theme. If they tell me specifically, we need a dessert!....  I bring my stock answer to everything....a beautiful salad that no one can resist.  It's my trademark.

4f608c2c37f70e109abae1e0174da1dc.jpg

betterfromscratch7.jpg

Diane Sanfilippo (Balanced Bites, Practical Paleo) is a good source for non-whole30 compliant, SWPO, but relatively low-sugar or no sugar "treats." We won't share those recipes around here, though: too confusing for the whole30ers. Personally I save that stuff for Christmas. :)  

Archived