Cheat Day -Alchohol and Ice Cream?

alishax23

Hi Everyone!

I'm a 25 year old female - I've been following the Paleo diet for 8 months now and do power/barre yoga 5x per week. During these past 8 months, I have been eating very strict paleo - no dairy, no gluten, no added sugar, etc.  (I recently cut out nuts and fruit in efforts of weight loss).  I would slip off the wagon 1-2 nights per week and just binge on whatever non-paleo foods and junk I could find.

PROBLEM #1 -- I've always had a sweet tooth so it's not easy for me to stay whole30, 7 days per week.  I start to feel deprived and miserable.  In efforts of trying to lose 10-15 lbs and STILL be happy - I've decided to stick to whole30 guidelines Sunday-Friday and for a 16 hour window on Saturdays, I'm allowed to have a few of my favorite cheat meals - ice cream, pancakes, cookies, etc.  Do you think doing this will affect my weight loss goals at all?

PROBLEM #2 -- I quit drinking (sort of) 8 months ago when I started Paleo.  I have probably had a total of 5 drinks during this 8 month period.  However, I'm really starting to miss it.  I enjoy having a few drinks with friends on the weekends when going out.  I was thinking about allowing myself 3-5 drinks (low calorie) on each Saturday night (cheat day). Do you think doing this will affect my weight loss goals at all?

Like I said, I'm very strict throughout the week for 6 days straight.  If I can still do the two things listed above AND stay strict on these 6 days - I'm wondering if I will still be able to shed some pounds?

Thank You!!! :D

I've decided to stick to whole30 guidelines Sunday-Friday and for a 16 hour window on Saturdays, I'm allowed to have a few of my favorite cheat meals - ice cream, pancakes, cookies, etc.  Do you think doing this will affect my weight loss goals at all?

Yes, this will affect your weight loss goals. To be honest, this sounds like a path direct to a very disordered relationship with food and not in keeping with the whole30 at all.

Post-whole30, we advise people not to plan "cheat days" or "cheat meals." Instead, take every treat opportunity as it comes and decide if it is worth it to you at the time. That might mean wine three times in one day on vacation in Napa or ice cream once a year, but a weekly "cheat" meal is not it. Here is the scale to decide if something is "worth it" post whole30: http://whole30.com/downloads/off-roading.pdf

Hi, I think that your best place to start is by reading It Starts with Food. The Whole30 is exactly that, 30 straight days of eating whole, nutritious and delicious food to better your health and your relationship with food. It is time that you take for yourself to get rid of that sweet tooth and crazy cravings. Weight lost is just a perk that comes with doing these things and is not the over all goal of the program. 

The book is easy to read and packed full of knowledge that will put you on the right path and in the right frame of mind. 

Best of luck to you on your food journey! 

Archived