Post Whole30 at 8750

mokiki

So yesterday did NOT go as planned! 

I realized after my run in the morning that I was getting to be sore from Tuesday's class, so I nixed my idea of going to the gym after work. Good thing I did, because I ended up working LATE. But, because I planned on getting home at a normal time, I didn't prep dinner in the morning, so it was a bit of a free-for-all. The boys had frozen pizza, and I had a chicken hot dog with sauerkraut and spinach. I also let my stress from work get the best of me - a big glass (and a little refill) of red wine happened, as well as some dates with Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter. 

Not today! I'm setting a zero alcohol rule, and zero "treats," because I've been going a little overboard lately! Thankfully we got our new grocery delivery yesterday, so I'm going to make a point to have lots and lots of veggies today.

9/14/16 Workout: 2 mile recovery run

9/14/16 Win: I'm sorry to say that I have a weakness for frozen pizza, but I didn't let the smell tempt me into having a piece! 

Finally Friday! (this didn't post yesterday, so it is a day behind)

The zero alcohol rule didn't work out yesterday. It was SUCH a nice night, and we grilled out, and I just couldn't turn down a glass of white wine. It's not the worst habit in the world since I typically drink an extra 750ml of water with every glass, and I keep it to one glass, but still! 

9/15/16 Workout: 1 hour bike ride

9/15/16 Win: Absolutely zero snacking! It's amazing how that works when you stay busy.

Staying strong through the weekend! 

We went out to the new taco restaurant in town last night, and I was sort of tempted to try some tacos with corn tortillas, but I just wasn't really in the mood. Instead I had a chicken curry salad, which was delicious, a few corn chips, and a peach margarita. We came straight home, and skipped the usual Friday night glass of wine. Progress! 

Still loving the gym as well! 

9/16/16 Workout: 4 mile run, gym session: 15 minute spin, leg press, calf raise, shoulder press, lat pulldown, core work.

9/16/16 Win: Other than an "energy ball" preworkout, zero snacking! 

Welp, I accidentally reintroduced dairy last night! 

We went out for a nice dinner at our favorite steak restaurant, and I had the bison back ribs... Amazing. It came with roasted sweet potatoes and local corn, which hasn't seemed to bother me so far, so I didn't substitute it. I just asked if there was any dairy in the side dishes, and the waiter's response was "just butter," and that was fine by me. As soon as I took a bite of the corn, I realized there was parmesan cheese involved. The boyfriend also ordered my favorite parmesan truffle pommes frites, so I went all in and had a few of those as well.

It was such a small amount, but I'm still going to keep a close eye on my skin over the next few days and keep the rest of my diet Whole30. We'll see how it goes! 

9/17/16 Workout: 1 hour yoga class, 3.5 mile run

9/17/16 Win: A day at home without the need to "graze" out of boredom! 

Feeling like I've fallen a little off track... 

Yesterday started off fine. We slept in, made a big breakfast (chicken apple sausage, sweet potatoes, raw sauerkraut, zoodles), then I had to work for a bit. When I got back, I was STARVING, so needed a quick bite before we went for a hike. All we had in the "quick bite" category was some popcorn. So, I munched on some of that, then we picked up barbecue for dinner. I had pulled pork, a little potato salad, cole slaw, and even some chips. Too many chips. I went back for seconds, and had some red wine as well. 

After dinner, I tried my hand at paleo baking, and made peach cobbler. I ate too much.

Last night was the first time since doing the Whole30 that I actually felt uncomfortably full. It wasn't a good feeling! My old eating habits definitely crept back in, and I was eating out of nothing but boredom. It led to a stressful night of sleep, and the past few days have done a number on my skin.

Nothing like a Monday for a fresh start! My schedule is a little wonky today, so I'm going to go to the gym this morning and will plan on a run this evening while dinner's in the oven. Food-wise, I'm (for real this time) going to keep everything Whole30, or at least "relaxed" Whole30 for the rest of the work week. That means no alcohol! We're going to a wedding on Saturday, and I need to get my skin in check.

9/18/16 Workout: Rest Day - 1 hr easy hike

9/18/16 Win: Even though I'd consider yesterday a "bad" day, it was nothing compared to what a lazy Sunday consisted of pre-Whole30! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Way to find the silver lining :)  

Are you still eating good breakfasts all the time?  I've found the #1 way for me to have an evening of the munchies is to skip breakfast/eat breakfast too late/get too hungry.  I don't know why early day hunger seems to set me up for over eating later - but it almost always does.  

Maybe you should stop developing your new paleo baking habit and start a paleo knitting habit or something ;)  This would be a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black since I just ordered a dairy free ice cream recipe book :ph34r:

23 hours ago, littleg said:

Way to find the silver lining :)  

Are you still eating good breakfasts all the time?  I've found the #1 way for me to have an evening of the munchies is to skip breakfast/eat breakfast too late/get too hungry.  I don't know why early day hunger seems to set me up for over eating later - but it almost always does.  

Maybe you should stop developing your new paleo baking habit and start a paleo knitting habit or something ;)  This would be a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black since I just ordered a dairy free ice cream recipe book :ph34r:

Thanks for the tip on breakfast! I'll focus on eating more earlier rather than later today and see what happens! 

And yeah... time for a break on the paleo treats :D I just got a little too excited! But feel free to share dairy free ice cream recipes.... ;)

(this didn't post from yesterday, 9/21/16)

Still overeating/drinking. I didn't do a Whole30 day yesterday, and I think part of the problem is that I feel like I "should" eat more, since I'm exercising more. I just lose all willpower after 8pm! 

Today's a new day! 

9/19/16 Workout: 1 hour gym session, 4 mile run

9/9/16 Win: Still staying completely paleo & eating tons of veggies, so it's not all bad! 

A month ago, I was typically out for my run no later than 6:15am. Today, it's 6:40, and I'm still waiting for the sun to come up... :angry: I miss summer already! 

My eating was MUCH better yesterday. I had a big breakfast, big lunch, small pre-workout snack, and didn't overeat like crazy at dinner. No wine, either! 

I went back to my workout class last night, and am still loving it. The weight lifting portion is so different than anything I've ever done, and it makes me feel so much stronger. 

9/20/16 Workout: Strength & Movement class

9/20/16 Win: Back to feeling more productive at work and at home - fell off a bit for a minute there! 

It's been over 3 weeks since I finished the Whole30! By this point after my first W30, I'd totally fallen off and eaten plenty of junk, drank plenty of beer, and lost every bit of the magic. This time around, I haven't been perfect, but I'm finding my groove by continuing to make healthy choices the vast majority of the time. 

Although I'm still weighing myself around once/week, I'm nowhere near as addicted to the scale as I used to be (weighing in every single morning). At this point, the number is a tiny bit higher than when I finished the Whole30, but my measurements are getting smaller! Hopefully that means I'm gaining muscle! 

Anyway, I really put my "riding my own bike" skills to the test yesterday. Thanks to a hectic morning, I didn't pack any food to bring to work. The same thing happened to a coworker, so we went out for lunch together to the new taco place. Tacos sounded DELICIOUS! Instead I opted for a portobello mushroom salad, which was awesome. After work, I met up with a girlfriend for dinner, but had a few minutes beforehand so I went to the gym to break a quick sweat. At dinner, which was at a fancy little place that I hardly ever go to, we treated ourselves to a lychee martini (just vodka and lychee juice), some fried brussels sprouts, pork belly skewers, an elk lettuce wrap, and I had a few bites of my friend's miso eggplant salad. So, I had a little bit of soy. It hasn't bothered me before.

Not too bad for eating out for two meals! I'm reeling it in today, though, and will stick to a relaxed Whole30 to give my body a break from all that rich food.

9/21/16 Workout: 2.75 mile run, 20 minute gym session

9/21/16 Win: Came home to chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven (thanks, boys), but wasn't even tempted to have one! 

Fridayyy!

Yesterday went well as a relaxed Whole30. I prepped all my meals for the day, didn't snack (except for a little jerky to hold me over when I was working late), made sure to eat plenty of veggies, and avoided alcohol. The plan was more of the same for today, but....

For whatever reason, I could NOT fall asleep last night. So I'm exhausted today. I had to nix my run thanks to a thunder/snow storm (!!!) when I woke up, and my work day is already off, so french fries have happened (with pulled chicken - so good). I blame the weather! 

It's not too late to turn it around! I already prepped dinner for tonight, so at least I know I'll have one healthy meal today. I'm sure I'll have a glass of wine since it's Friday, but if so, I'll keep it to one glass. I'll spend an hour or so at the gym as well. Not a total loss! 

My skin is still giving me trouble - mostly along my jawline and even my neck. Very strange. It could be due to a number of factors (stressful work week, sweating at the gym with makeup still on, hair products touching my face, etc), but I'm wondering if soy could be contributing. I'm going to avoid it 100% for the next week at least to see if that makes a difference. 

9/22/16 Workout: 4 mile run

9/22/16 Win: Had a major sweet tooth after dinner last night, but ignored it.

My plan for the end of the day yesterday kind of worked! :lol:

Turns out the power was out at the house all day, so my dinner prep didn't happen after all. We went out, and I had ribs (so good) with local corn and just a few sweet potato fries. I should have gotten a side salad instead - was definitely NOT in the mood for more starchy fried food! When we got home, our neighbor came over with a bottle of wine, and I drank more than I should (2 glasses plus 1 glass at dinner). I also made some paleo chocolate covered caramels, but only had 1.

Today we're going to a wedding, and I have no idea what the food situation is going to be. I'll definitely be keeping my drinking in check because I have to drive home, and I may have some cake (if it's really good). We'll see how it goes! 

9/23/16 Workout: 1 hour gym session

9/23/16 Win: Still have no desire for gluten or dairy! 

Crashed and burned this weekend. Time for a Whole8!

I kept it together well during the wedding. I didn't drink much, and was able to eat a fairly compliant meal. The boyfriend commented that the cake was delicious, so I did have a few bites of his slice. That seemed to really open the floodgates...

When we got home, we got into the wine, and woke up Sunday morning with a killer hungover. That led to a day of binge eating, more gluten in the form of macaroni salad, 2 beers, and a pie for dessert. I felt like crap all day, and that crap food didn't help, but I used it for emotional reasons. That means I need to get myself back on track! 

So, today, I'm jumping back on the Whole30 wagon and will finish with the community September Whole30 next Monday. October will be a big month, with my boyfriend's festival and vacation, so I need to have my healthier eating habits solidly engrained! I

No workouts over the weekend, and the only "win" is that I have the Whole30 to fall back on!

Whole8 Day 2! 

It was nice to get back on track yesterday. I ate well, drank a ton of water, and had a productive day at work. The only problem is that I didn't get back on board with exercise, so I need to make sure I get after it today! 

Day 1 Workout: Unplanned rest day

Day 1 Win: Getting back to 100% Whole30 compliant was much easier than I expected!

Whole8 Day 3! 

I'm feeling good, but another late night at the office kept me from exercising yesterday. It's rough trying to get into a winter routine already! Thankfully, today should be a bit more flexible. 

Day 2 Workout: Unplanned rest day

Day 2 Win: Not missing alcohol or treats at all! 

Whole8 Day 5! 

I got back into the gym for the past 2 days in a row, and have been enjoying my workouts! I must say I'm missing running, but the sun isn't coming up until too late in the mornings nowadays. Too many bear/moose/big cat sightings for me to venture out into the dark! 

Day 4 Workout: 30 minute AMRAP session

Day 4 Win: Not even having to think about the Whole8.

Well, the Whole8 turned into a Whole5!

Friday called for a champagne celebration that I couldn't turn down. That opened the doors for more wine over the weekend, but nothing out of control. Food-wise, my only major treat was gluten free pancakes with a friend who is moving away. They were delicious, but didn't make me feel great! I took advantage of the calories/sugar and went for a run afterwards, and made a point to eat plenty of vegetables and protein for my other meals.

Weekend Workouts: Friday: 25 minute AMRAP session. Saturday: 5 mile run. Sunday: 4 mile run. 

Weekend Win: Learning how to incorporate treats without guilt! 

Who would have thought... Pancakes two days in a row!

The kid wanted breakfast for dinner last night and requested pancakes and bacon, so that's what I made. They were grain-free and dairy-free, and actually pretty delicious with some local strawberry jam on top! But, no more baked goods for now. 

Looking forward to starting Food Freedom Forever today! 

10/3/16 Workout: rest day

10/3/16 Win: My grocery delivery added a "Paleo" tab to their website! I don't know why that is so exciting.

Who would have thought... Pancakes two days in a row!

The kid wanted breakfast for dinner last night and requested pancakes and bacon, so that's what I made. They were grain-free and dairy-free, and actually pretty delicious with some local strawberry jam on top! But, no more baked goods for now. 

Looking forward to starting Food Freedom Forever today! 

10/3/16 Workout: rest day

10/3/16 Win: My grocery delivery added a "Paleo" tab to their website! I don't know why that is so exciting.

Archived