fish fillets, are these ingredients ok?

abacoian

Of course fresh filets are best, but I can't always afford it.  Some stores have bagged filets for a good price but I found added ingredients, are these ok?

Salmon Fillets, Sodium Tripolyphosphate (Added to Retain Moisture). Contains Fish (Salmon), Packed In A Facility That Also Processes Crustacean Shellfish.

Tilapia (Carbon Monoxide Treated to Retain Natural Color). Contains Fish (Tilapia), (Packed In A Facility That Does Not Process Crustacean Shellfish.

Carbon monoxide, really?

If these aren't okay can someone reccomend something else please?

Thank you

• Moderators

The carbon monoxide probably would not hurt you and is not banned during a Whole30, but I would avoid it. To save money, I would probably go with frozen fish. Whole Foods often has a selection of frozen fish fillets. I've bought cod, flounder, salmon, and a few things whose names were not familiar to me. 

I've been reading that not only tilapia, but tuna and red meat are treated with it too. It is banned in lots of countries (e.g Europe) but it is still considered "generally safe". There is not much evidence or research to claim it life threatening. This gas is lethal for humans only in large concentrations (cap Obvious here). As far as I understand the usage of it in food industry is growing but labeling isn't regulated = you might be consuming way more of it than you think. Another concern is proper storage, if the food was not stored properly the food won't show any signs of spoilage because of the CO properties. I am sure a moderator will chime in (probably there is a reply as I type this) and I'd be curious to see what they have to say. 

• 1 year later...

Hello!

So I am confused regarding sodium tripolyphosphate.

I’ve seen it’s acceptable and unacceptable on the Whole30 site.

This forum states it’s ok yet in the “You know someone’s on Whole30 when……”

“...… they are visibly disappointed to learn the pre-cooked shrimp at their grocery store seafood counter contains sodium tripolyphosphate.”

Which is correct? I passed on wild cod with this preservative only to notice it’s in the shrimp I’ve been eating (wasn’t on the sign at the store yet when packaged up, it’s then typed on the label).

Any help will be appreciated :)

Wolfgang

Day 25

Hello![/size]

So I am confused regarding sodium tripolyphosphate.[/size]

I’ve seen it’s acceptable and unacceptable on the Whole30 site.[/size]

This forum states it’s ok yet in the “You know someone’s on Whole30 when……”[/size]

“...[/size]… they are visibly disappointed to learn the pre-cooked shrimp at their grocery store seafood counter contains sodium tripolyphosphate.”[/size]

Which is correct? I passed on wild cod with this preservative only to notice it’s in the shrimp I’ve been eating (wasn’t on the sign at the store yet when packaged up, it’s then typed on the label).[/size]

Any help will be appreciated :)[/size]

Wolfgang[/size]

Day 25[/size]

Acceptable but not ideal http://forum.whole30.com/topic/13552-sodium-trypolyphosphate/

Archived