Post Surgery Modifications

Hi Everyone,

I'm having knee surgery on Monday.  I'm incredibly active, so it's a little depressing to be out of comission for a little while, but it will all be for the best in the end.  I'm wondering if I need to make any modifications to my Whole30 (Day 7 right now) in regards to amounts of food to eat or portion sizes or types of foods in regards to the fact I will be (1) having surgery and (2) going from super active to super sedentary.  Thanks! 

You'll probably need to cut down on your starchy veggies a little bit, but I'd recommend your biggest concern should be keeping yourself busy. If you're used to being active, sitting around while recovering will make you feel way more hungry than you should be...and snacking isn't a good thing if you aren't really using the energy you're taking in.

Your immune system will take a bit of a hit from the surgery, be gentle with yourself, do some meditation, don't stress :) Bone broth will help with your recovery.

Soups are often good post surgery if your stomach is a bit off from any medications, etc. 

Keep simple meal prep in mind when you'll have reduced mobility.

I hope your surgery goes well Archer. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such pain at what looks like a young age! Wishing you well quickly! no fun!!!

I'm curious about the "bone broth" praxisproject... like broth made from a soup bone? or is it soup to help 'heal' your bones... sorry to be naïve..

my knee has been wired, I'm beginning on Sept. 1st, and will have a knee replacement in November after my knee cap is completely mended!

The link above explains bone broth (broth made with bones) in detail. I used to be a huge stock (broth made with meat) fan, until I tried bone broth.

For me, it's really important for good sleep and healthy-feeling joints.

B vitamins are also supposed to be good for nerve regeneration, fortunately, there's a lot of those in Whole30 foods :D

Archived