Plate Size

Archer

Please forgive the technicality of this question, but I'm a accountant (aka OCD numbers person) and a serial calorie counter before my Whole30.  I'm stil stressing about what size my plate should be. When we say plate do we mean a standard 9" dinner plate, 10" restaurant plate or super sized 12" plate that most US houses have?  Or, does it even matter?  Am I just being hyper?  Thanks!

Might be a little over-thinking going on. <grin>

This might make things easier: use 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat, per the Whole30 meal template, at each meal.

I do it this way: 1-2 palm-sized portions of meat, a dollop of healthy fat (mayo, guac, or I count it if I have fatty meat or made a sauce with plenty of fat in it) and then I eat as many veggies as I can until I'm full. I don't really measure, but it's usually about 1-2 cups of veg, depending on how much fat I had. More fat = more satiating = eat less volume because fat is so calorie dense.

We have large plates with a big rim.  The center part that isn't raised and slanted is about 7 inches,  This allows me to make a satisfying looking pile of things on what looks like a big plate but is actually sensible portions.  It triggers the response "I'm going to enjoy all this."  And the later response, "I ate all that and I'm full, shut up leptin."  The wide open spaces of a 12 inch plate could cause other responses for some people, even if you make highly satisfying foods.

• 4 years later...

I've been eating on a 7 inch salad plate for the last 20 years. I recently read that the study for small plates was not run properly and was debunked. I feel like it curbs eating my healthiest meal of the day.  And I've gained 55 pounds over 20 years.

Archived