PWO and Meal Question

388gigi

Hi, I'm sorry if this question has already been answered...I did try search first! I'm only 50 pages into the book so far. I actually only found "whole30" for the first time last night and start the program tomorrow!

I usually work out in the mornings, and am used to eating every 2-3 hours. I am still researching all of the do's and don'ts of the program but thought I would ask the question so I don't get it wrong!

Does this timeline look correct for a day where I workout in the morning:

6:30 - Pre WO snack

7:00 - 1 hour workout

7:15 - Post WO snack

9:00 - Breakfast

13:00 - Lunch

18:00 - Dinner

Also, some days I play tennis as well as go to the gym. (usually gym in morning and tennis in arvo) Should I also include PWO snacks around tennis as well?

ps. I could look at changing my workout time if that made more sense. But then, do I still include extra snacks? Is this how it would look?:

7:00 - Breakfast

10:00 - Pre WO Snack

11.00 - 1 hour workout

12:15 - Post WO snack

14:00 - Lunch

18:00 - Dinner

I work for myself and from home, so I'm flexible in terms of workout and meal times.

• Moderators

Eating 5 times per day is correct on days you workout. Both of your schedules look fine. Now here are some fine points. The pre-workout meal is most variable. I don't bother with a pre-workout meal when I train 1-2 hours after breakfast. I find eating a bite or two in a pre-workout meal most important when it is the first food of the day. 

You do not have to eat pre and post-workout meals when your training is light. I don't bother with extra food when I run a few miles, walk, or do yoga. However, I do need extra food when I do heavy strength training. You might need extra food when you play tennis or not. It depends upon how hard you play. 

• 4 weeks later...

Eating 5 times per day is correct on days you workout. Both of your schedules look fine. Now here are some fine points. The pre-workout meal is most variable. I don't bother with a pre-workout meal when I train 1-2 hours after breakfast. I find eating a bite or two in a pre-workout meal most important when it is the first food of the day. 

You do not have to eat pre and post-workout meals when your training is light. I don't bother with extra food when I run a few miles, walk, or do yoga. However, I do need extra food when I do heavy strength training. You might need extra food when you play tennis or not. It depends upon how hard you play. 

What about those of us who do crossfit 5-6 times a week? I usually go after work and find that I am completely starving by the time I get home. I've tried really hard to not destroy my kitchen grabbing all of the food at once. Any recommendations to get me from the end of my workout to dinner, which is usually about an hour and a half after my WOD. Should I be eating a post workout meal? And if so, what should it be?

MyssLyss, yes sounds like you really need a post-wo meal asap after your workout! I have seen moderator Tom say that he brings some protein (tinned tuna or chicken or compliant jerky) to the gym with him and eats it immediately after his workout.  So, your PWO meal should definitely contain lean protein and a starchy carb is optional, but no fat. Then you would have your dinner at the normal time.

Hello! I am a little bit stuck on the same topic. I am on day 3 of my whole30 and it's the first day I worked out. Feeling a little lost on what is the correct thing to do. 

Today I had my work out at 10:00 am. I ate a couple of bites of chicken sausage and avocado as my pre-workout, then I came home and ate chicken sausage and sweet potatoes as my post workout. However, that feels like breakfast for me as it was enough food and it's now noon..... so I feel like my next meal should be meal 2 not meal 1.

My exercise routine is Pure Barre which is a low-impact full-body work out. Can someone please help me figure out what is right for me... I don't think i need to eat 5x a day, but I want to be building muscle. 

Here are the different options I am looking at: 

1.Wake up eat breakfast which would serve as preWO, work out, come home and have a postWO snack and then lunch. 

2.Wake up have a preWO snack, work out, have a postWO meal that serves as breakfast - this would work well for me when I don't have time to make breakfast before working out. 

I also do spin from time to time, what would you suggest for that? 

Thank you, thank you! 

Hello! I am a little bit stuck on the same topic. I am on day 3 of my whole30 and it's the first day I worked out. Feeling a little lost on what is the correct thing to do.

Today I had my work out at 10:00 am. I ate a couple of bites of chicken sausage and avocado as my pre-workout, then I came home and ate chicken sausage and sweet potatoes as my post workout. However, that feels like breakfast for me as it was enough food and it's now noon..... so I feel like my next meal should be meal 2 not meal 1.

My exercise routine is Pure Barre which is a low-impact full-body work out. Can someone please help me figure out what is right for me... I don't think i need to eat 5x a day, but I want to be building muscle.

Here are the different options I am looking at:

1.Wake up eat breakfast which would serve as preWO, work out, come home and have a postWO snack and then lunch.

2.Wake up have a preWO snack, work out, have a postWO meal that serves as breakfast - this would work well for me when I don't have time to make breakfast before working out.

I also do spin from time to time, what would you suggest for that?

Thank you, thank you!

Because you're working out at 10 am, I'd be having a proper breakfast when you first get up, the have a small post-wo snack of lean protein and carbs right after (ie. In the changing room or car) and then have your normal lunch at about 1-1.30. I often work out at 1pm, and unless I'm really hungry and think I'll be starving by 2pm, I don't have anything between breakfast and gym. Then I have a wee pork meatball walking back from the gym (which is actually probably a bit too high fat - I might get some chicken breast this week and try that) walking back to work, get changed and then eat my lunch at my desk.

Thanks so much for the reply! Would you cook your chicken breast in olive oil? Is that ok to have for the post workout snack even though it's technically cooking it in fat? 

Today I got in my car and had a couple of bites of chicken sausage and 99% fat free ground turkey with a couple of sweet bites in there as my postWO snack :) 

• 1 month later...

I teach so I either workout at 6am on two days per week or at 4.30 or 5.00 for an hour.

Just wondering about pre and post workouts.

What are examples of good pre and post workout  foods and quantities.

I dont want to get up too much earlier to eat. Usually I finish , shower and drive to work and eat breakdast but that will be 1- 2 hours later. The same happens in the afternoon. I finish, go home usually a 30 min drive and prepare tea so again will be up to two hours later that I eat.

Suggestions please.

On the morning workout days you need to get some sort of protein and fat in but it doesn't need to be a lot. Play with it to see what you can handle. I would recommend a couple of hard boiled eggs. For your afternoon workouts it would be the same recommendation but it isn't a requirement. First thing in the morning you need to eat within an hour of waking. If you still feel like you have enough fuel from previous meal before your workout though than you are fine. 

For both times you should have a post workout meal of lean protein and starchy vegetable. Something like chicken breast and sweet potato works for most people. Have this within 30 minutes of working out and then eat your regular meal as planned. 

Archived