Your favorite brand of coconut milk

What store brands do you prefer? I've tried two now. A compliant "ethnic" version whose name I can't remember, but it is SO thick and nearly clumpy, and now Kroger's store brand Premium Coconut Milk (coconut cream, water, xanthan gum), which was light-years better, at least in my coffee. Curious to see what others prefer. 

The Kroger brand also didn't make me feel like I wanted sweetener in my coffee (don't worry, I haven't used any!), but I also used it today at home on Day 8 v the other one which I have been drinking at work in my coffee since Day 3. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Was the thick one Aroy-D?  That is what I use.  I love it.  If its thick you can just warm it up a bit to thin it out.  Aroy-D is the only "clean" brand I know of.  I but it at Asian grocery stores - I've never seen it anywhere else.

I buy the light coconut milk from Trader Joe's.  Ingredients: Coconut, water.

It's not as super thick as the regular versions, but I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the taste of it.  It's so clean and pure tasting.  I just can't stand 'guar gum' or other thickeners in my coconut milk.

• 1 month later...

I buy the light coconut milk from Trader Joe's.  Ingredients: Coconut, water.

It's not as super thick as the regular versions, but I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the taste of it.  It's so clean and pure tasting.  I just can't stand 'guar gum' or other thickeners in my coconut milk.

Did you know that "light" coconut milk is just regular coconut milk with added water? You could save yourself some money by buying the regular stuff and just adding water to get to the consistency you like. More coconut milk for the same money!

It's also interesting to me, at least at the stores where I shop, the light coconut milk is more per can (usually about ten cents more per can) and the only difference is more water. That's marketing hooplah at its best!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Thai Kitchen Organic - Coconut milk, water, and guar gum.  I think guar gum is compliant (I hope).  It's always very creamy and delicious and doesn't seem to have much separation.  I just shake the can before I open it and it's great in my coffee!

Is Goya brand compliant?

Sadly I think that is a no, at least for the coconut milk.

Ingredients

The kicker that makes it none compliant is the Potassium Metabisulfite as discussed in this thread : http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4892-potassium-metabisulfite/

Sadly I think that is a no, at least for the coconut milk.

Ingredients

Coconut Milk, Water, Potassium Metabisulfite (as a Preservative).  http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=391151&storeId=10052&langId=-1

The kicker that makes it none compliant is the Potassium Metabisulfite as discussed in this thread : http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4892-potassium-metabisulfite/

It must depend on where you are. The Goya brand at my local Kroger IS compliant.

I use Native Forest. It has gaur gum, but it is the only one I can find in a BPA free can. I am more concerned about reducing my BPA intake. I don't love the taste of coconut milk (except mixed into curries and soups) so it is difficult for me to evaluate it by taste.

Archived