small slip up? or not?

GatorFit

I'm 13 days into my first Whole 30 and all is going pretty well, but the fear of eating something off plan is nagging at my brain. I have nightmares about eating rice by accident.

Since starting the whole 30 I've had very little in terms of sweet things. A half a banana or a few blueberries is it. I'm busy and I rarely make sweet potatoes either.

I'm a long distance runner and yesterday I went for a very long run on a mountain trail. I had a strange experience where my legs gave out and I went sprawling skinning my whole front (stomach, thighs and hands) I was horrified as I continued to roll down a small ravine. Luckily I was able to amble back to where I parked and get home. I was so lightheaded and shakey after that. I took a shower and nearly passed out.  After my shower I blended 2 dates with a frozen banana and 1/2 avocado and drank it and began to feel better.

That morning I had a can of sardines, a tomato, 1/4 avocado and black coffee for breakfast.

Did I cheat? I know dates, smoothies are a big no no

I am inclined to say no because my body was very low blood sugar, I could feel it and I had an overwhelming urge to get some natural sugars in my body and my head was aching so bad from the fall I didn't want to chew a bunch of stuff.

Well, I'm not sure if passing out qualifies for a pass, but I would probably have done the same thing. I made a much bigger slip up and restarted. A diabetic friend left her exercise class with low blood sugar and blacked out, only to find herself (and truck) in someone's home. Better to be safe, and God will certainly understand.

Dates aren't a no-no. I think after a fall like that you were probably in a bit of shock and eating solid food might have made you vomit (it would me, anyway).

IMO this counts as a situation where the smoothie is OK - not like you're having them for breakfast every day.

I hope you feel better today, and you're not too black and blue!

You're fine as far as Whole30 is concerned.

You might do a search on the forum for athletes about how to fuel long runs.  I suspect you need much more food, but I'm not a runner so don't want to speak to that.  There are several good threads, including some ultra-marathoners and triathlon-ers talking about running on Whole30.

Hope you feel better, and carry on.  Eat up!

My thoughts as a currently on sabbatical runner is you have probably well depleted your glycogen stores. You for sure didn't ruin your Whole30 but I'm wondering if you are following the meal template correctly for a long distance runner. I would recommend eating towards the higher end of the template and make sure you include starchy vegetables in at least one meal a day especially in the meal the night before you run. Also make sure you are getting your post workout meal. Could you post some samples of what you are eating? I'm concerned when you say you rarely have sweet potato but perhaps you are eating other starchy vegetables.

All that said it is normal for the first 14 days or so to be weaker on your exercise. When I first made the switch to paleo I had lead legs for two solid weeks. Once my body made the fat adapted switch though it was so much better.

Ouch! Definitely need to add a little when runnung!!! I am in the same place as you. Not a long distance runner, but a big hiker....did a long 3 mile hike and then the next day went to a festival so all day in the sun and by the next day I thought I had the flu. No passing out but everytime I bent over, I thought I was going to pass out. I had a smoothie with lots of fruit and a sweet potato later in the day, plus other munchies. That seemed to help. Be safe....

Kristi

• 2 months later...

The athlete section of the forum is fabulous. There are lots of recommendations for fueling.  Please do fuel up before/after a long run. I trained for a half marathon throughout my whole30 and boy did I feel horrid. Even going up a hill that I have always been able to conquer was a chore, even up until Day 17/18. Hang in there.

Also keep in mind that the performance hit should be temporary. For me it was 2 weeks where my runs felt like someone had put invisible lead pants on me no matter what I ate but then "magically" it not only got better but my performance improved from before. Fueling properly definitely helps with this process.

Archived